Home Technical Talk

Baking textures and texturing pipeline problem

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello, guys, my first question here ever, so I'm a bit shy, but anyway I have to ask, 'cause I'm stuck. So, I've been making my first game ready model for a contest and there is a rule to have two texture sets, which comfused me, I don't know the pipeline, I guess. I've baked all the objects(separately) and now, I guess, I need to have all uvs in 2 uv sets to be able to texture a guy and to stick to the rules of the contest. But how should I make this 2 texture sets? Can you help me?

Attached a rough screen of baked model from marmoset. (again it was baked with separate parts, but moved together in marmoset, so, every one of them have their uv and texture set)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    I would divide it roughly in half, using consistent texel density.

What 3d modeling tool are you using? Most will allow you to create a second UV then bake the textures from the original UV to your new UV.
  • PIXLm
    I would divide it roughly in half, using consistent texel density.

What 3d modeling tool are you using? Most will allow you to create a second UV then bake the textures from the original UV to your new UV.
    Thanks a lot for the answer) I've finished the guy already, eventually I made 2 uv sets in Maya, still not 100 sure the pipeline was correct, but I got the work done :D Eric, can you please recommend some courses, articles to fully understand the pipeline already) I know how to make a character from scratch to the end, but I still doubt that every of my steps is correct  =) Here's the guy btw)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Nice job on the model. It's a bit lumpy all over though, looks like it is a character made out of clay.

I'm not a character modeler, I'm not up on current character pipelines.

I would suggest searching for character model tutorial gumroad 
    For example: https://origin.80.lv/articles/courses-for-character-artists-on-gumroad/ 

Then check the artist's portfolio, look for professional experience, and high quality models. Usually Gumroad tutorials are very affordable, and worth it since you are able to check the author to make sure they know what they're teaching.
  • PIXLm
    Nice job on the model. It's a bit lumpy all over though, looks like it is a character made out of clay.

I'm not a character modeler, I'm not up on current character pipelines.

I would suggest searching for character model tutorial gumroad 
    For example: https://origin.80.lv/articles/courses-for-character-artists-on-gumroad/ 

Then check the artist's portfolio, look for professional experience, and high quality models. Usually Gumroad tutorials are very affordable, and worth it since you are able to check the author to make sure they know what they're teaching.
    Yeah, people tell about this moment about lumpiness. I guess, it's not good. Gotta understand how to get rid of it, I guess) Thanks a lot!