Home Technical Talk

How would you approach modelling this?

Alander787
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Alander787 polycounter lvl 3
Should I combine both Boolean And SubD workflow?
I have something half done, but some tips from you guys would be helpful.

Replies

• Alander787
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am talking about the whole grey inside part. I've already modelled the rest.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    usually with complex shape like this i need to split it into phases otherwise my brain gets too tired. So first i only focus on getting the shape, then afterwards i focus on cleaning up the topology and optimizing.

So for this i probably just work dirty using booleans to rough in the basic shape, then use that model as a guide to build a new clean topology on top of. Then you can use your typical hard-surface sub-D techniques but without having to think about shape and topology at the same time as much.
  • FrankPolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter
    There's a lot of different modeling strategies to choose from and what's best will depend on what the model is going to be used for. It's also possible to combine elements of different modeling strategies so it doesn't have to be an all or nothing approach.

As an example: Boolean operations can be used to speed up blocking out the base mesh and adding details to the cage mesh prior to adding support loops and subdividing. Another option is to skip subdivision modeling all together and use a Boolean to ZBrush workflow or regular poly modeling. It just depends on what the model will be used for and what the time / budget restrictions are.

A good place to start would be to block out the basic shapes and match the segment counts on the rounded shape intersections so the mesh smoothing or subdivision doesn't generate artifacts. Resolving the topology issues early on in the project will make subdivision modeling much easier.

Beyond that, more information is needed to provide any specific modeling advice:

• What are the parameters, limitations and specifications for this project?
    • What will this model be used for? (Product renders, Interactive VR, In-game prop, etc.)
    • What parts have you already completed?
    • What modeling challenges do you see?
    • What modeling strategies do you think would work best?

From there it will be easier to evaluate what needs to happen and what the options are for making it happen.
  • Alander787
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The model is meant to serve as a high poly for a later retopo, which will be textured in SP and then used for realtime rendering.
    I have already completed the outside parts, button and layed out the base for the inner part by only using booleans and poly modelling.
    I see a challenge in connecting all those details together without having any shading artifacts
    I might finish up my blockout and do as you suggested.
  • Alander787
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's what I have so far. Its low poly shape, done with booleans and poly modelling.

Should I now start building a new, cleaner topology on top of it?
  • FrankPolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter
    The block out looks good but whether or not it needs to be completely rebuilt depends on what the wire frame looks like. It may be possible to clean up the existing geometry (without having to manually rebuild it) by using merge by distance and limited edge dissolve operations. If the geometry is reasonably clean then try adding support loops with insert edge loop and chamfer operations.
  • Alander787
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i decided to use the existing geometry and just adjust it where it needs to be and I think I got it!