Home Technical Talk

Overlapping lips problem on head UV

Hey,

so I'm trying to UV map the head of my character and I'm having trouble getting the mouth area unwrapped.
Basically, the mouth/lips are overlapping itself, I wanted it to be straight and with a hole, like in the 3D mesh. How can I achieve this? I've seen some video tutorials and the unfold seems pretty straightforward. Is this just bad seam positioning/topology or something? Thanks!

Replies

• Mink
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5
    Throw down some seams on the side of the mouth, or, sit down and manually rearrange your UV's to make some room and manually rearrange the lips. 
  • Lucathyel
    Mink said:
    Throw down some seams on the side of the mouth, or, sit down and manually rearrange your UV's to make some room and manually rearrange the lips. 
    Nice, thanks, there wasn't any seam on the lips, adding one makes it a little better but does not fix all the overlap issue. I guess I'll be needing to do it by hand, after all.
    But just out of curiosity (and to avoid that in the future), do you know what might be causing this problem? I've seen tons of other head UV tutorials where the mouth unwrap is just flawless from the start and they don't see to be doing anything fancy (like in the FlippedNormals tutorial).
  • Mink
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5
    Lucathyel said:
    Mink said:
    Nice, thanks, there wasn't any seam on the lips, adding one makes it a little better but does not fix all the overlap issue. I guess I'll be needing to do it by hand, after all.
    But just out of curiosity (and to avoid that in the future), do you know what might be causing this problem? I've seen tons of other head UV tutorials where the mouth unwrap is just flawless from the start and they don't see to be doing anything fancy (like in the FlippedNormals tutorial).
    Your Mesh Normals could be flipped, you can check this by enabling backface culling in normal view, otherwise, UVs just act funky sometimes, and that's why being able to fix things manually when shit doesn't work is important.