Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[need some feedback] [Blender] Birth of an Electromancer

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
As a Max user I am slowly trying to learn Blender, and thought I would be a little creative while doing so Blender.

Here is my "Birth of an Electromancer" low sampled renders from Blender.
I like the atmosphere of how it looks, however I can't decide on what lighting I should use as I have very little experience with actual compositioning and lighting in this regard.

I tried to make the middle pop out the most, and make it so that would be the most natural area people pay attention to. This is why I later added some vignetting, Scratches texture normal map on the glass and a volumetric fog inside the glass sphere. I also made the electricity arcs inside the sphere more birght than outside the sphere.

I personally think I could do more with the background, but no idea what i should do besides doing some heavy modelling stuff to make it more hardsurface Sci-Fi.

How can I improve this?
What should I add to give it some more detail?
What do you make of it and what low sample render do you like the most?

Electromancer1:

Electromancer2:

Electromancer3:

Electromancer4:

Electromancer5:

Electromancer6:

Electromancer7:

Electromancer8:

Electromancer9:

Electromancer10:

Electromancer11:

Electromancer12:

Electromancer13:

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    If the guy in the middle is meant to be the focus then I think he should pop out from the background more. In most of these images the character is the same general color and luminance as the background so he really blends in, almost to the pint of being camouflaged. I think he should contrast against the background instead. If you want to have a dark red background, cast him in bright blue lights (matching the color and brightness of the electricity would be fitting). If you want to have a bright blue background, cast him in shadow to create a strong silhouette. If you want a medium blue background, paint him red and add rim lights to really cut him out of the background. Right now I think you are the closest with No. 5, but he's still barely noticeable. 

examples:

Also (and this might just be personal taste) I think removing some of the Tesla Coils from the center-top and center-bottom of the scene might help with composition. Creating more of an X shape instead of two hemispheres of lightning could help lead the eye toward the center like you wanted.
  • Zoddo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
    If the guy in the middle is meant to be the focus then I think he should pop out from the background more. In most of these images the character is the same general color and luminance as the background so he really blends in, almost to the pint of being camouflaged. I think he should contrast against the background instead. If you want to have a dark red background, cast him in bright blue lights (matching the color and brightness of the electricity would be fitting). If you want to have a bright blue background, cast him in shadow to create a strong silhouette. If you want a medium blue background, paint him red and add rim lights to really cut him out of the background. Right now I think you are the closest with No. 5, but he's still barely noticeable. 

examples:

Also (and this might just be personal taste) I think removing some of the Tesla Coils from the center-top and center-bottom of the scene might help with composition. Creating more of an X shape instead of two hemispheres of lightning could help lead the eye toward the center like you wanted.

Thanks man, really appreciate the detailed feedback!

I will test some more with the lighting colours, to make the human pop out more and maybe give him some actual skin colour (he's just white/greyish now).

I already removed these coils from the middle and halved the amount of them, i'll remove some more and see how it looks!

Again appreciate the feedback, and the images provided.
    Stuff like this is pretty new to me, so anything helps!