Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Is possible to set the auto smooth to be 180° by default instead of 30°? 
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Udjani said:
    By default? Not that I know of; that's hardcoded stuff. Of course, everything is modifiable depending to what lengths you're willing to go haha. Activating AS, setting it to 180 and applying Shade Smooth (and then sharpening edges by my preferred angle) was one of the things I did with my own scripts before using Hard Ops. I might go back to them too depending on my experience with HO. If I'm wrong though I'd love to hear otherwise.
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    @Justo I am using an addon to add all of that too, was just wondering if there was an option hidden somewhere where i could change it.
  • So3Datel
    Offline / Send Message
    So3Datel polycounter lvl 5
    @Udjani, @rollin, @ant1fact, @Defunct, Yes, you are right.
    I can go into the orthographic side view and just press E to extrude. But this is not quite what I had in mind. I was hoping that there are experienced Max users here who are well aware of what shift-extrude is capable of.
    Maxivz's Tools It seems like what I need, but I did not understand how it works and how it is better than standard features. I need to click every time Smart Extrude for this?
    sorry for my english
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @So3Datel

Maxivz's Tools It seems like what I need, but I did not understand how it works and how it is better than standard features.

I use Max' smart extrude script, and without any doubt I can say that if anything, his script is by no means "better than standard features". You can do a lot more with the standard features. Max' script only works in the move tool, and doesnt support snapping or moving the extruded edge in 2 axis. I think if he finished this and added scale tool support these would become invaluable tools, but we have what we have for now...

So yeah, it's just a matter of preference at the moment. You can do a lot more with pressing E no doubt. Personally speaking though I haven't completely embraced the idea of having to press 3-4 different keypresses to do the extrusion I want, so I like to cut those down as much as possible.
  • sinhead
    Offline / Send Message
    sinhead polycounter lvl 6
    Hi Guys, For 3d Modelling only - for a new Blender 2.8 user, does it make sense to use Blender 2.8 default keymap or industry compatible keymap.

I have used Maya.  I dont mind learning the new shortcuts etc if they make modelling in Blender faster than Maya.

When i follow Blender 2.8 tutorials, simple tasks like - edge-slide along a particular axis/ direction leave me confused if I use the "industry compatible keymap", because the Tutorial guys are using Blender 2.8 default keymap and shortcuts.

• FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Hi Guys, For 3d Modelling only - for a new Blender 2.8 user, does it make sense to use Blender 2.8 default keymap or industry compatible keymap.

I have used Maya.  I dont mind learning the new shortcuts etc if they make modelling in Blender faster than Maya.

When i follow Blender 2.8 tutorials, simple tasks like - edge-slide along a particular axis/ direction leave me confused if I use the "industry compatible keymap", because the Tutorial guys are using Blender 2.8 default keymap and shortcuts.

I'd say if you don't mind learning Blender's keyboard shortcuts, go for it. Since most of the tutorial material out there is based on those keyboard shotcuts anyway, so it's faster to learn new tips and tricks.

I'm an old-school Blender user (since 2012 with 2.65), so I'm using the 2.79 shortcuts, and the transition from 2.79 to 2.8 was smooth for me.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    @musashidan, MACHIN3 and FourtyNights. Thanks guys!
  • So3Datel
    Offline / Send Message
    So3Datel polycounter lvl 5
    @"lenin.arya"
    It seems to me that industry compatible keymap are designed for people who work in several programs at the same time, since switching between several hotkey logics is very unpleasant.
    For example, I use standard keyboard shortcuts, but I changed the viewport navigation to Maya navigation shortcuts (alt+lmb, mmb, rmb). Because many programs use navigation as in Maya, and using different hotkeys to rotate the viewport is very confusing for me
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @So3Datel One thing that's great about Blender is that you can quickly switch to those default presets any time you want :) So when you hear people tell "oh you do that by pressing this..." without saying what it actually does (it is kind of frustrating imo, even though they are helping), you can always go back to the default hotkeys, and check by Key Binding what does the shortcut they're talking about do.

Right now my entire keyboard is set up very differently to any of the default ones, so I do this constantly!
  • Blendermonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Blendermonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Add-on that hides hair during posing and playback.

• Chunkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Really enjoying 2.8 release, and currently working on an environment peice (a race track for Assetto Corsa) and something I take for granted in Max, I can't find in Blender, which is to know the U and V co-ordinates for a vertex. I want to get my track surface UVs exact on the u and v co-ords so there are not seams but I haven't found the means of doing this.

Any advice would be much appreciated! :) 
  • Newfang
    Guys, I'm kind of stuck on this...

I'm trying to figure out what to do exactly with the subdiv modifier on my models in blender. I've read that you can essentially merge a low poly (no modifier) version and a high poly version (Modifier applied) together in substance painter, then export this mesh. I've tried to find tutorials with clarification on how to do this but maybe I'm wrong. I've also noticed, when I import my low poly mesh into Zbrush - immediately unwrap - duplicate - make one high poly and leave one low poly, I can merge the two, no problem. But occasionally I run into this error in Zbrush that says that there are closed shells in your UVw... That should mean I haven't fully unwrapped the model and it causes problems... No matter what I do, once that error shows up, I cannot get it to go away. How can I just use the modifier in blender instead of normals to smooth out my model?

I appreciate the help!
    Thanks
  • m00k
    Offline / Send Message
    m00k polycounter lvl 3
    @Chunkey
    You mean this? It's in the N-panel

• POFFINGTON
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Guys.....they did it...i can finally stop crying when I go to sleep at night.

https://youtu.be/9ILBCGY84cg?t=120
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Which portion are you talking about mate? That's an hour long video lol
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    OUUUTLIINNEEEERRR
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    at the 3:00 - about sync selection in the outliner. Isn't it like that already? If I select multiple objects in my outliner, it is selecting the respective objects in the viewport.
  • Mad_Llama
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad_Llama polycounter lvl 6
    Guys don't overlook the remesh thing too! It seems like it's reliable, very fast and works wonders. You can certainly use this for boolean workflows. So this ancient technique becomes a few clicks in Blender now
    https://polycount.com/discussion/168610/3ds-max-zbrush-proboolean-dynamesh-hardsurface-workflow-tutorial/p1

At least from what I tried it seems that it deals with intersecting geo nicely, so you can give it shit geo with shit topology and it does wonders. Then smooth and decimate a little to keep polycount managed. Boom you've got the high poly!
  • Chev
    Offline / Send Message
    Chev polycounter lvl 10
    I recently switched to 2.80 and it's been rather nice so far. However, is it possible to disable lighting when weight painting or vertex painting? There used to be an option for that in 2.79 but I can't seem to find it anymore.
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Mad_Llama said:
    Guys don't overlook the remesh thing too! It seems like it's reliable, very fast and works wonders. You can certainly use this for boolean workflows. So this ancient technique becomes a few clicks in Blender now
    https://polycount.com/discussion/168610/3ds-max-zbrush-proboolean-dynamesh-hardsurface-workflow-tutorial/p1

At least from what I tried it seems that it deals with intersecting geo nicely, so you can give it shit geo with shit topology and it does wonders. Then smooth and decimate a little to keep polycount managed. Boom you've got the high poly!
    I haven't started using blender for sculpting as Zbrush is still my go to but it may be worthwhile in some other form or for quick edits that don't require me to go to zbrush. 
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Chev said:
    I recently switched to 2.80 and it's been rather nice so far. However, is it possible to disable lighting when weight painting or vertex painting? There used to be an option for that in 2.79 but I can't seem to find it anymore.
    I know what you're talking about, it makes it easier to see nuances in weights.
    In 2.79 it was key Z by default, which toggled between solid and wireframe viewport display (and wireframe mode in Weight Paint is actually solid+shadeless).

In 2.80 key Z brings up a pie menu for all display modes, do any of them help with that? In case they don't, you can try making an emissive material (equivalent to the "shadeless" option from 2.79): https://blender.stackexchange.com/a/142820
  • Chev
    Offline / Send Message
    Chev polycounter lvl 10
    Indeed, although the display modes didn't have what I was searching for, on the other hand an emissive material or, alternatively, directly binding an RGB color set to white to the output do the trick fine. Thank you very much!
  • VertexPainter
    Offline / Send Message
    VertexPainter polycounter lvl 8
    @Chev

• FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    For weight painting in Blender, I recommend his tools. I bought them, and I love the visualization for weights with color gradients per bone (a.k.a. in the style of Softimage): https://gumroad.com/l/weight_paint_tools

Haven't used them in 2.8 yet, will see later with one of my projects.

• Chev
    Offline / Send Message
    Chev polycounter lvl 10
    @VertexPainter Aw yes, that's exactly what I need! Thank you!

@FourtyNights I'll have a look at it then

Thank you all for your help!
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    OH MY GOD
    i just discovered that you can right click menu`s to create a hotkey for it

i mean, i've been only using blender for like 15years now ?
    i always looked up the python command and added them manually to the hotkeys in preferences....

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @VertexPainter thanks for that tip, it's way simpler than using a material.

Shameless plug of an additional weight painting tool for troubling areas where it's easier to use a selection rather than painting: https://gum.co/adjust_vertex_weights
  • Chunkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    m00k said:
    @Chunkey
    You mean this? It's in the N-panel

Aha! That's more like it! I'm still at the point where I am getting comfy with the basic modelling tools and textools have been useful too, but now it's time to start learning how to step up further and get as good as I was in max :)

Also for any old school modellers out there who need vertex animation for their project, anim-all has been updated for 2.8. Just wish I'd bookmarked the thread I found it on...
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @Mad_Llama it is not great at all. Not on par with Dynamesh (yet)The VDM addon gives much better results due to its smoothing features.
  • MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    @Mad_Llama it is not great at all. Not on par with Dynamesh (yet)The VDM addon gives much better results due to its smoothing features.
    Yes, I've found it to be pretty bad for hard surface design. 
  • Defunct
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    @POFFINGTON Yo, that new denoiser is insane. they should make that the default.

• IxenonI
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    @musashidan
    Where can I find the VDM addon? Would love to take a look at it.
  • MetinSeven
  • IxenonI
  • MetinSeven
    Offline / Send Message
    MetinSeven polycounter lvl 2
    You're welcome. Like @musashidan I recommend the add-on. It's yields the smoothest OpenVDB results within Blender at the moment. The Sculpt Mode Features branch also offers OpenVDB, in the shape of a Remesh function and an enhanced Remesh modifier, but currently they both show very visible Moiré / interference artifacts.
  • Mad_Llama
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad_Llama polycounter lvl 6
    @musashidan ooh thanks for sharing, haven't seen this one yet. Sure the Blender's remesh isn't dynamesh's quality but it's still a good step in the right direction and I think it's just good enough for a lot of use cases, especially if you're baking stuff down later down the road.
  • sinhead
    Offline / Send Message
    sinhead polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys! (FourtyNights,  So3Datel) . I have decided to use the defaults for now. To follow tutorials properly and I am already getting comfprtable. Will adjust hotkeys , UI navigation later on.

I am following a car modelling tutorial. I dont understand the logic behing this "Guide Mesh" workflow. A guide mesh is made, then a another mesh which is wrapped or shrink wrapped on the guidemesh.
  • xrg
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    The guide mesh is to avoid pinching/rippling issues when adding details to curved surfaces.

This video explains it pretty well:

• RaphaelBarros
    Offline / Send Message
    RaphaelBarros polycounter lvl 2
    Maybe not the focus of this forum, but if anyone needs a (free) Build of blender with great Cycle speed up features, such as:

"Cycles:

• Light Groups passes
    • Dithered Sobol
    • Scramble Distance
    • Adaptive sampling (that can be used with the two previous features, it was not possible before)
    • Auto Tile: a little feature we implemented following the course from BliBluBli (Mathieu), I recommend to enable it in case you are rendering just with GPU or just with CPU, disable it for GPu+CPU and configure yoru tile sizes to 16x16, and configure the render order with "From bottom to top"

Modifiers:

• Two new options inside the Remesher modifier:
      • Voxel: based on OpenVDB, it includes also OpenVDB boolean operations, it includes an option to mesh particles.
      • Metaball: based on Metaballs, ability to mesh both meshes/vertices and particles, a bit slower than Voxel in some cases, but it also carries Motion Blur information for fluids."

Here's a build from Bone-Studio:
    https://blender.community/c/graphicall/kdbbbc/

• Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Practice model of today and a few questions that I wasnt able to find an answer to while making this:

1-Is it possible to import an image plane mesh and be able to see it in the Solid Display mode? If I use the default addon to do this the resulting plane looks gray and can only be seen in LookDev and Render modes...
    2-How to move a cluster of subelements along their individual normals? If I select isolated elements (Orientation: Normal & Pivot Point: Individual Origins) Blender respects the individual normal directions. But if the elements are connected to each other, it averages it all to one direction. Being more specific, for example moving the highlighted edges along their individual normals:

3-How would you quickly obtain a face selection like this?

4-Lastly, how would you achieve the bended text as shown in the concept image above, in that middle section of the bullet?
  • realeyez
    Offline / Send Message
    realeyez polycounter lvl 11
    Udjani said:
    Pitiwazou's Speedflow Companion let's you set a default Autosmooth angle in the preferences. It's pretty nice and the only way I've found to do that.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @justo for 3 you can select the ring and select menu>checker deselect.

For 4 I don't know what you mean.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Has anyone heard about plans to add pre-selection highlighting?
    All I've found are very old user discussions on it.
    Using Houdini, I've recently discovered how awesome Shortest Path selection can be for UV mapping, which I believe Blender has, but it's useless without pre-selection highlighting as well.
  • FrankPolygon
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter

#1 Using the Add > Image > (Reference or Background) both remain visible in all view modes. If you're talking about importing an actual mesh object and using it as the image background then you'll need to go to Solid display mode and change the settings Color > Texture. For this to work you will also need to load the image into the object's material as a texture.

#2 If you're moving a single edge loop then Edge Slide will work. It will also work with multiple edge loops selected but you can't have any perpendicular edges selected between the active loops.

#3 In edge mode, select one of the horizontal edge loops. Run Checker Deselect. Select a vertical edge loop and run Edge Rings selection. Face mode Checker Deselect wouldn't work in your case because of the edge loop that's dividing the faces.

#4 If the text can be flat I would add it into the texture or onto a decal with transparency. If the text had to be embossed into the surface of the model: I would use the curve modifier to deform a text object, convert it to mesh and boolean that geometry into the model.
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    #1 Using the Add > Image > (Reference or Background) both remain visible in all view modes. If you're talking about importing an actual mesh object and using it as the image background then you'll need to go to Solid display mode and change the settings Color > Texture. For this to work you will also need to load the image into the object's material as a texture.
    Ahh, Color>Texture. That did it - thank you!
    #2 If you're moving a single edge loop then Edge Slide will work. It will also work with multiple edge loops selected but you can't have any perpendicular edges selected between the active loops.
    Perhaps you misunderstood? I don't want to slide vertices or edges. I want to move them along their normals. AFAIK the Slide Tool doesnt have any option that allows this, unless its not in the docs page i just visited.
    #3 In edge mode, select one of the horizontal edge loops. Run Checker Deselect. Select a vertical edge loop and run Edge Rings selection. Face mode Checker Deselect wouldn't work in your case because of the edge loop that's dividing the faces.
    I really wish I could select a single edge and be able to convert it to its connected faces, but your method is solid. Thanks for sharing. (And mushashi too).
    #4 If the text can be flat I would add it into the texture or onto a decal with transparency. If the text had to be embossed into the surface of the model: I would use the curve modifier to deform a text object, convert it to mesh and boolean that geometry into the model.
    Yeah I wouldnt model this kinf od things either but I want to learn how to do so for the skillset. I'll have to look into the curve modifier, thanks for the tip.
  • rexo12
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    Hey, i've finally taken the plunge into 2.80 and I'm really enjoying it so far - Eevee is... absolutely stunning.

I was wondering if there was any way to change the solid mode viewport to better reflect inverted faces, akin to the viewport in 2.79. The face orientation overlay does it's job, but i'd rather be able to see the status of faces as I work.

Thanks!
  • FrankPolygon
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter
    Re-reading question #2 it sounds like the expected behavior is for the move tool to do something like this?

In Blender I had to use the Shrink / Flatten tool and while that works for this I can see use cases where it wouldn't work because it will scale the selected mesh components. For those edge cases I think Solidify or Inset with depth offset only would work. For more complex movement it won't work. I could be wrong but it seems like the short answer is no? Blender's move tool treats connected geometry as connected when moving along the normals and using individual origins. But I can see why it shouldn't... If I'm still not getting it: seeing the desired result in another program would provide more context.

In the Viewport Shading options switch Lighting to Matcap and under Options check Backface Culling.

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    rexo12 said:

I was wondering if there was any way to change the solid mode viewport to better reflect inverted faces, akin to the viewport in 2.79. The face orientation overlay does it's job, but i'd rather be able to see the status of faces as I work.

I use the Backface Culling option under the Viewport Shading tab top right of the Modeling viewport. Is that what you mean?
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Is there a good new or updated plugin which can show animation paths / trajectories which do automatically update to changed keyframes and animation range? 

(Source: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/animation/motion_paths.html)

There where already some interesting approaches but nothing for 2.8 so far I can say

E.g. I can't find a copy of this and it would need to be ported to 2.8 i guess:
    https://www.blendernation.com/2011/03/07/motion-trail-script-add-on/
    https://sites.google.com/site/bartiuscrouch/scripts/motion_trail#TOC-Download
    https://developer.blender.org/T26374

I'm thinking about writing a small auto-update addon which would utilize blender's Mothion Path functionality (https://docs.blender.org/api/2.80/bpy.ops.pose.html)