Home General Discussion

Alternatives to Polycount?

Does anyone know any good sites for receiving critique on developing your game art skills that aren't polycount?

Every time I try to post there I either get ignored, or just receive baseless rude comments, honestly the site has always been a cesspool for as long as I've known it.

I'm looking for a site with a supportive userbase, not a cruel and reductive one.

[ Moderator note: account banned for spam in signature, not for topic content. ]

Replies

• Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Do you have an alternate account or something? Because I could not find anything you posted, so I can not give you any feedback what so ever on why you did not get any feedback. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I would suggest joining a chat group. Polycount has a Slack group and a Discord group. Spend enough time in the chat and people will get to know you, and reply to things you post.
  • TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    Discord groups such as Dinusty Empire and No More Grid.

If you use Unity or Unreal Engine, their developer forums are a gold mine for technical art.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I haven't been super active in the 3d section lately, but I don't think I've seen more than a few instances of anybody being cruel there. Sometimes you can easily misinterpret the way something is said online, so you gotta have a lot of patience with that.

However, there is not as much feedback as there could be. It's been mentioned before that a lot of people are going to discord and other live chat services. Frankly, I see no benefit from that. Live chat is very noisy and distracting. Also they don't keep history.

Probably better for building relationships though, which is probably the most likely path to a job if that's what you're looking for.

• zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Whats up with the signature links? 
    But to your point it depends on what you find productive try a discord like what was mentioned or just keep posting. Either this is a second account or you've just been subject to not posting a whole lot.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Same person? Or was the original topic lifted to make the spam in the signature less noticeable? This was a year ago, and is worded exactly the same.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/6sf11b/alternatives_to_polycount/
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    @Joopson Good work detective. Someone, get this man a promotion!
  • electronic-fox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electronic-fox polycounter lvl 8
    Im not a frequent poster, but I do lurk and read the posts a lot. Gotta say I dont really see that negative attitude often here. Some things may appear harsh but almost all the time its honest and helpful feedback. If you cant take it, then thats on you. Even the best artists here will get criticisms on their work, its how we grow.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I smell a spam account given thhe links.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    vert count is pretty accurate
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deleted the 2nd account, and assigned the OP to their original topic,
    15 views 0 replies Started by josephkhan Jul 3 2019
    the one that probably spawned this one. There were no other posts.

Pointing to some examples would help. 

Also. I moved this from 3D Showcase to General Discussion because, well, it's a general sort of topic, not a 3d art crit topic.

Your Unity topic didn't have any replies after 2 days, which is pretty impatient of you.

But also, in the U.S. this is a national holiday which is this year essentially a four-day weekend.

Plus, the Unity subforum gets a lot less traffic at Polycount because Unity have their own highly developed internal forum. 

And... you haven't made it easy for people to reply because you're disrespecting us, by not showing you've done your homework. This explains it best:
    https://polycount.com/discussion/63361/information-about-polycount-amp-new-member-introductions/p1#asking
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Killed the sig. Banned the account. I think this thread is still informative, so it stays. You guys are great.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

CGTalk though film biased, IMO was a viable alternative up until a change in management that sadly flat earthed a once vibrant community too bulletin board status, although their 3d Art/WIP sections at least are still a feast for the eyes and an education as well. Could say I'd cut my 'digital teeth' on those boards however nowadays middleware forums supplement a self taught curriculum.   

• Unknown_Target
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unknown_Target polycounter lvl 6
    Core77 for Industrial Design news and forums. Lots of related work going on there, even if both sides don't know it yet.

Conceptart.org - are they still around?

Websites for your software package of choice.

....DeviantArt?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:
    Same person? Or was the original topic lifted to make the spam in the signature less noticeable? This was a year ago, and is worded exactly the same.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/6sf11b/alternatives_to_polycount/
    Amusingly, I got in touch with that person back then and asked where _they_ were ignored, and got no response at all.

edit: I'll also copy what I wrote there:

"Polycount is simply a lot bigger than it used to be. Where I used to look at every new or updated thread in the art section, that's simply no longer possible, as it wouldn't be for most people. Threads can get caught in the cracks, which is why they wrote this guide to help your posts get seen: http://polycount.com/discussion/184654/why-youre-not-getting-any-replies As a moderator, I try to find the diamonds-in-the-rough, but the volume of posts means that if I don't happen to catch it when it's posted, when someone +1's it, or if nobody reports it to the moderators, it's gone. There are plenty of threads where someone kept working and posting though, giving meaningful updates that bump the thread, and they plenty of feedback after a while. What doesn't work is saying 'nobody?', as I'm afraid I see your response was. (You've got the same nickname on Polycount)

Another thing I've seen work well, and what's been mentioned here as well, is to put at least as much in as you're hoping to get out. Get into the community, give other people feedback, join the Slack, whatever.

'Cruel and reductive' though... I don't recognise the picture you're painting there. Polycount used to be cruel, but in a constructive, no sugar-coating way. 'This is shit for the following reasons'. If you could stomach it and leave your ego at the door, it was the best place to grow as an artist, and the connections you'd make were priceless. Now, a lot of people just come there to post their latest finished piece, wanting praise, treating Polycount as Artstation. And its no-nonsense attitude isn't quite there anymore. Of note: If you find a reply that's cruel or otherwise worthless, for christ's sake report it. We can't vet everyone post. Be a part of Polycount, and report it!"

• radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    i gotta agree with the skepticism of 'cruel and reductive' 

polycount feedback back in the day was great, if you dont have an ego there was so much to learn.  i personally, owe a lot to those critiques from 8+ years ago. 

the trend of artists posting finished pieces, getting feedback, and then giving the standard 'thanks, but no thanks' response has, at least for me, deterred me (and others) from providing feedback these days.  
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't help thinking that's a generational thing. New artists now are more used to spoon-feeding, via Youtube tutorials, etc.