Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    pior said:
    BTW, how does one enable good old Cycles, even temporarily so ? Loving Eevee of course, but I'd like to run some comparison tests  between the two yet I have been unable to find any info on how to do that.
    If its not there check if cycles is activated on add-ons.

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @Udjani - Oh that was easy ! Thanks :) Somehow couldn't find any info on that.

@musashidan - see above. Cycles is the non-realtime renderer that has been around for a few years (think : Keyshot-like path tracing). Eevee is completely different thing (Toolbag-like) and for 2.8 they set it up as the default render engine instead of Cycles and I couldn't find the option to change that. The two take the same inputs but function in a completely different manner, hence I was curious how things compared visually.

Once it is set it affects how the 4th viewport mode behaves (1-wireframe 2-work 3-basic realtime preview 4-render).

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @pior Haha! I was confused because I know you're an advanced Blender user and thought, 'nah.....no way he doesn't know how to enable Cycles.....' :)

I've just been using Machin3Tools from day 1 in 2.80. One of the pies switches between the 3 renderers.
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    bkost said:
    Hey @RN looks like a really handy tool! nice work. Would this tool allow for twist and rotation along the center of a plane? I'd like to fine tune hair cards
    It does now heh... thank you for the idea. Click the spoiler to see some images:

• Linko
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    AssetGen has been ported to Blender 2.8, this is still a work in progress. This is a free addon that automates the tasks to make your high poly ready for a game engine. It will reduce the polycount, do your UV Mapping, texture it and export it to a game engine. It is useful for static models that don't need to be deformed, like environments and objects.

We have included tools to help you create your high poly, for example add edge wears automatically or make your mesh looks stylized.

Demonstration:

Download the base texture material (will be included in the addon later): https://t.co/UqzROApeoh

• stusutcliffe
    Hi, I'm looking at Blender for a Hair solution. Now that 2.8 is out ,it looks a bit easier to get into. So after scouring the internet I found a way of getting hair out of Blender. ( to put into Marmoset) In Blender 2.79  there is a button named  Convert which converts it to a mesh. This button is missing in 2.8...Im just wondering whats happened to it ? Has it been moved or just not implemented yet?   Thanks for looking.

2.79                                                                                               2.8
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Another item missing in 2.8 is the mipmap toggle in preferences. Anybody know how to disable mipmaps in 2.8?
    Looking for this:

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @thomasp according to this line of the 2.8 source, the use of mipmaps is hardcoded to always be ON when supported by the hardware: https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/browse/master/source/blender/windowmanager/intern/wm_init_exit.c$187

But there seems to be another mipmap setting on ImageTexture objects, where you can also find the "Use Alpha", filtering, image wrap mode etc.:
    https://docs.blender.org/api/blender2.8/bpy.types.ImageTexture.html?#bpy.types.ImageTexture.use_mipmap

So instead of one global mipmap setting like on 2.79, you should try turning it off on each individual image texture. Edit: ah here, in "Image Sampling" settings: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/editors/uv_image/uv/textures/types/image/options.html?#image-sampling

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    RN said:
    @RN thanks for looking that up in the code even, much appreciated!

I have to say that is one special panel though. I managed to dig it up in 2.79 only when the internal renderer was chosen but I confess to having no idea how to produce it in 2.8. What needs to be selected in which mode to show these settings? My renderer is set to Eevee (I'm trying to prevent my texture from being eaten by mip-mapping in the viewport).

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @thomasp I spoke too soon... that panel is only for managing brush textures, not Cycles / Eevee image textures:

• Linko
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    The development fund goals have been posted:

For Q1 2019 (April) it is Blender 2.8 stable (remember that Blender will drop FBX's supports for glTF, I don't know if they will do that at the stable release)

The projects started for Q2:
    • Overrides and asset management
    • Better support for large scenes or complex environments
    • Modifier nodes
    • Physics & real-time mode (for designing simulation and baking)
    • Cycles: reviewing/adding patches
    If the funding grows beyond 30k:
    • Particles and hair nodes
    • Texturing tools and tools for procedural textures
    • Painting and Sculpting improvements
    • Better snapping and precision modeling
    • Cycles: denoising
    • Compositor

The link to the development fund: https://fund.blender.org/

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    RN said:
    @thomasp I spoke too soon... that panel is only for managing brush textures, not Cycles / Eevee image textures:

So what you are saying: no settings in a datablock defined in the texture tab magically relate to image textures linked up in the node editor, meaning there is currently no way to toggle mip mapping for Eevee viewport display?

Because that is my understanding of the whole affair so far. I admit since picking up Blender I have never even bothered with getting into (offline) renderer setup, so I'm out of my comfort zone.

• Fizzly
    Offline / Send Message
    Fizzly polycounter lvl 8
    I've been playing around with the Blender codebase and made a mini feature yay! :smiley:

Either Corner, Center or no pixel snapping when UV'ing. If other people think it is useful compared to the old `Snap to Pixels`, I can submit it as a diff :)!
  • So3Datel
    Offline / Send Message
    So3Datel polycounter lvl 5
    Hi all.
    It is possible to use collision between splines?
    I'm trying to do a wire simulation.

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @MACHIN3 Hey mate, Machin3Tools(latest v.3.4) is broken in very latest 2.80 build. Just downloaded both today. Blender is just not the same without it. :)

EDIT: it's also broken now if I rollback both Blender and MT.
  • MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    @MACHIN3 Hey mate, Machin3Tools(latest v.3.4) is broken in very latest 2.80 build. Just downloaded both today. Blender is just not the same without it. :)

EDIT: it's also broken now if I rollback both Blender and MT.
    Need more info. Just tested on 4dd0a90f4213, works fine for me.
    What build are are getting the errors for. What are the errors?

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @MACHIN3 I'm on the latest 4d795cee4938 and MT .3.4

Strangely enough, I just activated MT from addons again and it's working now. I think it was a problem with MT .3.1b and 4d795cee4938, but when I restarted and reinstalled/activated MT .3.4 the errors were cleared and everything is fine.

Sorry about that. Thanks for the quick reply.

• Alanandrade92
    Offline / Send Message
    Alanandrade92 polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys, I'm testing here the 2.8 version and I'm finding difficult to tweak the UVs. How can I relax the UVs and make them straight? The UVs are indicated below.

In Maya I would just use the Bonus Tools to help me on this and on Blender 2.79 I'm able to use the Sculpt UV tool which would somewhat help me a little on this. But on this new version I'm really lost.

Thanks all and have a nice 2019!!

• moth3r
    Offline / Send Message
    moth3r polycounter lvl 7

We have just released  BATCH OPERATIONS™ 2  smart data-management for Blender 2.8

This add-on is a highly sophisticated data manager which can outline/arrange/control all your modifiers, materials, collections in the currently opened file, scene or visible objects efficently and fast. Select, Add, Remove modifiers, materials and collections or filter, search through with custom user settings. It's idealy suited for the large scenes  and management of multiple objects at once.

1. Supports modifiers, materials, collections and many other data…
    2. Add, remove, apply, copy, paste, apply multiple operations at once
    3. Dedicated addon tab, a floating panel, pie menu or right click context menu support
    4. Version 2 was completely redesigned and rewritten for the Blender 2.8
    5. Free future updates
    6. Full online documentation: batchops.moth3r.com
    Avalaible from: store.moth3r.com

Be sure to check out  Batch Ops™2 video review by masterxeon1001 as well

• nickw
    Offline / Send Message
    nickw polycounter lvl 6
    unfortunately you cant have collision between splines, but if the end result doesn't need to be animated then you can use a strip of polys with a cloth-sim pres alt c to convert to a mesh (this bakes the current frame of the animation to the mesh) then delete one side of the strip and convert to a spline.

or if you want the wire to be animated, you can create a vertex group for one side of the strip and use that in a mask modifier (this removes one side of the strip non-destructively) then add a skin modifier and a sub-surf modifier.

there's probably a few other ways of doing this but this is the simplest I could think of at the moment.

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    I was in a discussion about the booltool on blenderartists, the guy said that the addon was now built in and it should appear on a fresh install of blender 2.8 saying that needed to be updated, but i don't have any booltool on my addons tab, can someone confirm that it is there on a fresh install of 2.8?
  • Jarvgrimr
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarvgrimr polycounter lvl 10
    So I'm making a move onto using Blender (2.8), and I am trying to work my way through the UV ...system... and it's a bit jank.

Everything is insanely manual and fiddly; which I am just trying to ... get used to. However I am running into annoying issues with how Blender selects edges in particular.

Firstly I have to drag a box around the entire edge to select it, which is an absolute arseache, is there anyway to enable a sort of... partial selection like 3ds max? Or is there a decent edge loop select option? 

Secondly, when I try and select a group of edges on an island to attempt to straighten them, the program automatically selects all the damn edges/verts on the islands that sit near it. So I can't straighten an edge on one island without affecting other islands. It is frustrating as fuck. Can anyone give me some guidance?

Also, where the hell do I go to add padding to my islands when packing? 
    All the tuts I can find are outdated by 2.8, which I am using now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @Jarvgrimr Ha, and I happen to love Blender's UV tools, lol.

Selecting edge loops/continuous edges is by holding Alt and selecting. When a shared edge of the seam get selected from multiple UV islands, you're having "sync mode" on. Turn it off and then you can select shared edges individually. The disadvantage with sync off, is that you'll have to select all the polygons from the viewport you want to see UV islands from in the UV editor in order to work with them.

Selecting a whole UV island can be done with L-key, and Shift + L adds to the selection. In sync mode L-key selection works only with face (polygon) selection though.

I've got used to fiddling with turning on and off sync mode and working with both ways, but yeah... that whole system could be just seeing all the UVs no matter if something is selected or not. :D

EDIT: I haven't used 2.8 almost at all, only 2.79b, so I'm not 100% sure if they've changed thed sync mode button's place.

Here's where it is in Blender 2.79b (red box):

• So3Datel
    Offline / Send Message
    So3Datel polycounter lvl 5
    nickw, thanks, I will definitely try it.
  • Jarvgrimr
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jarvgrimr Ha, and I happen to love Blender's UV tools, lol.

Selecting edge loops/continuous edges is by holding Alt and selecting. When a shared edge of the seam get selected from multiple UV islands, you're having "sync mode" on. Turn it off and then you can select shared edges individually. The disadvantage with sync off, is that you'll have to select all the polygons from the viewport you want to see UV islands from in the UV editor in order to work with them.

Selecting a whole UV island can be done with L-key, and Shift + L adds to the selection. In sync mode L-key selection works only with face (polygon) selection though.

I've got used to fiddling with turning on and off sync mode and working with both ways, but yeah... that whole system could be just seeing all the UVs no matter if something is selected or not. :D

EDIT: I haven't used 2.8 almost at all, only 2.79b, so I'm not 100% sure if they've changed thed sync mode button's place.
    Hi @FourtyNights, thanks for the swift response mate! I'm hoping I can get used to the Blender UV tools soon, I think I just need to wrap my head around the more stepped/staggered nature of most actions I do in Blender. I'll adapt I'm sure... but it just doesn't seem very... good. So many more clicks are involved in doing really basic things like selection & moving.

Yup, turning off sync mode worked a charm. It's a curious system, but only because I am so used to having the "stack" in Max.

I am currently searching for some UV tutorials that aren't focused on just the most basic functions, as I keep running into tools that seemingly do nothing, or don't behave as expected, and have no options to control them... so... I dunno wtf to do with them. Where most tutorials are just showing me how to draw seams and uv unwrap and auto pack. 

The way Transform isn't able to drag select, but can broadly select individual vertices/edges/faces when clicking on empty space is frustrating as hell, as it forces me to jump between two tools that require at least 3 button presses to move between, just to do a tiny adjustment on areas that are more than 1 vertex/edge/face.

Straightening islands rotations, and edges seems to be an insanely manual task, no quick multi edgeloop selections and straightening options.

Stitching doesn't work at all  as expected, there doesn't seem to be a logic to how it chooses to stitch one thing to another, I can't select an island and make another island stitch onto it. There isn't a decent way to relax a part of an island; the UV sculpt tools do literally nothing, relaxing a portion of an island seems to do nothing as well... it' just...
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Blender's UV tools is all I've known for 5+ years using Blender. To be honest, the beauty of Blender's algorithm to lay out UV islands based on the seams I've set manually, is that those UV islands are 80% of the time perfect without needing that much adjusting. That's basically guaranteed out of th box good UVs for hard surface objects... if you have placed UV seams smartly, that is. Straightening out cylidrical shapes works with either "UV Squares" addon, or TexTool's "Rectify" among with its other tools. Both do the same thing.

For organic stuff, I like using vertex pinning with "Live Unwrap" toggled on. It's real fun to adjust UVs that way. Made a short video-ish GIF explaining the workflow. (Damn, it was so huge gif [60mb or so, lol], so I had to put it in my Google Drive). You can also add more pins as control points while you've already modified your UV island with original pins.

• kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    why dont you use a video for this like everyone else? :)
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @kio I've never recorded a video from my desktop. Needs a bit of a research about how to do that. :D
  • mzprox
    Offline / Send Message
    mzprox polycounter lvl 5
    I never really had to use, but Blender has many great addons loaded with UV tools, most of them are free. I know there are addons which will straighten edge or face loops for example.
    for example:
    https://www.blendernation.com/2018/02/18/magic-uv-v5-0-released/
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm holding off on unwrapping altogether until Textools is ported to 2.80. I'm still in the early stages of learning Blender, but the native UV tools are a bit ropey. It's going to take a lot to get me out of Max to unwrap.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @FourtyNights Check out OBS It does a really good job of recording your desktop or a specific section of it.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    This might seem an obvious one, but is there an openGL/DirectX swizzle flip checkbox anywhere in Blender for this simple task? I've tried seperating the channels with an separate RGB node>invert Y>combine, but the results are f**ked. Surely this is simple?
  • Linko
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    This might seem an obvious one, but is there an openGL/DirectX swizzle flip checkbox anywhere in Blender for this simple task? I've tried seperating the channels with an separate RGB node>invert Y>combine, but the results are f**ked. Surely this is simple?
    In Blender 2.8 you have the swizzle options for the normal map baking.

Also I have asked if the UV Layout tools of TexTool could be added in the GUI of Blender 2.8 on Twitter, I will post if this is approved.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Linko Thanks, I already know about that, but that is for baking. I'm wondering about swizzle flipping existing normal maps. Every renderer I've ever used can do this in the normal map node/channel. Surely Blender can too?
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    @Linko Thanks, I already know about that, but that is for baking. I'm wondering about swizzle flipping existing normal maps. Every renderer I've ever used can do this in the normal map node/channel. Surely Blender can too?
    Would like to see that switch on the normal map node as well, but I guess they have lots of other things to implement for 2.8 first. You can still fix this using a RGB Curve and invert the G graph, no need for separating the channels.
  • Linko
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    Blender works in sRGB with higher gamma, the normal map is in Linear, you must convert it to sRGB by changing the gamma, then you invert the green channel and you convert it back to Linear:

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @linko I'll save this node tree as a function into my startup file that I can call at any time. I'm a Max user so this gamma 1.0 override can be set on texture import for linear maps and the normal map RGB channels are exposed.

What do you mean by 'Blender works in higher gamma'? Max gamma is 2.2 as well.

@Prime8 cheers mate. I'll try that as well.
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Linko said:
    Blender works in sRGB with higher gamma, the normal map is in Linear, you must convert it to sRGB by changing the gamma, then you invert the green channel and you convert it back to Linear:

That is unnecessarily complicated, I guess you somehow missed the color space setting, switch to "Non-Color Data" for linear maps (normal, roughness etc.)
    See minimum node setup below.

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Prime8 that makes more sense. Switching to non-colour is essentially overriding to linear 1.0
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    If only Blender had also a correct way to blend detail normal maps with baked ones, like what UE4 can do. (The top left normal map is simply flat, needed for this to work, did this with someone's guide if I remember right). But @Prime8, thanks for the simpler solution with the Y+ and Y- situations.

There's been few node setups for Blender to achieve at least blending two or multiple normal maps together, but none of them have been working exactly right. Not to mention masking...

• Jarvgrimr
    Offline / Send Message
    So how does smoothing/sharp edges work in Blender?
    For example, I'm attempting to sharpen edges where my UV islands are, to support my hard surface geo; but Blender seems to only be able to smooth EVERYTHING or flatten/harden every face & edge. A previous mesh I worked on, in Blender, I was able to mark edges as sharp, and Blender would then smooth all the faces but keep the marked edges sharp... but now it refuses to do anything of the sort (see attached image).

So this is a shotgun model I am finally finishing; the body (marked in blue) is keeping the hard edges and smoothing the faces between them, the barrel and other components, seem to be ignoring the hard edges I have put in, and are just... smoothing everything, ignoring the marked sharp edges.

Is there a way to make UV islands dictate "smoothing groups" or hard edges? 

Also have a gif to show how the edges and smoothing are working OK on one mesh, but not the other. Most of the hard edges are where I have split the UVs so they don't show the light blue, only the edge of the UV seam, but they are all marked with hard edges.

Have I missed something here?

• FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Jarvgrimr said:

Yes, you'll need to turn "Auto Smooth" on and set the angle to 180 degrees, so that it doesn't set any other edges other than your custom sharp edges. It's in the "Object Data" tab.

EDIT: Setting meshes smooth or flat in edit mode without sharp edges is confusing, so it's best to smooth everything every time, and set those sharp edges by yourself anyway. Also, if you wish to set sharp edges based on your UV seams, go to edit mode with an edge selection and use Shift + G to bring up "Select Similar" menu. This is and old image I posted earlier for a different contex. But for example, you can select all of your custom sharp edges with "Sharpness" and set them to UV seams and vice versa with "Seam" to set your UV seams to sharp edges.

• Jarvgrimr
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarvgrimr said:

Yes, you'll need to turn "Auto Smooth" on and set the angle to 180 degrees, so that it doesn't set any other edges other than your custom sharp edges. It's in the "Object Data" tab.

Oh wow!
    What a derp moment. I must have done that on the previous mesh and totally forgotten that I had to add that for each mesh. Thanks mate :)
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @Jarvgrimr No problem, and check also the edited version of that post above too. Forgot to answer your additional question too. ;)
  • Jarvgrimr
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jarvgrimr No problem, and check also the edited version of that post above too. Forgot to answer your additional question too. ;)
    @FourtyNights - Bud, you're a champ. Thanks!
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Hey guys, I updated my Bake panel for Blender 2.8
    I've been using it as my main baking setup for the past year, it's saved me a whole lot of clicks, so I hope someone gets some use out of it as well!

get it here:
    https://github.com/leukbaars/BRM-BakeUI

example screenshot, baking down Occlusion, Color and Roughness from node setup:

explanation of all the functions:

I plan to add more map types as well, as soon as they come online. I'd really like to have metalness in there as well for a proper PBR workflow for example.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Peris , this is brilliant, thanks. Will do very nicely while I wait for Textools to be ported to 2.80. Does it bake hidden highpoly? Does it bake based on naming convention in collections? Like 'match by mesh name' in Substance Painter with a 'meshname_low' and 'meshname_high' suffix.
  • MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    Peris said:
    I plan to add more map types as well, as soon as they come online. I'd really like to have metalness in there as well for a proper PBR workflow for example.
    Have they talked about map types they plan to add to the baker? I could really use proper curvature bakes myself.
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    @musashidan yup it will bake hidden highpoly so you can keep it hidden while tweaking stuff on your low. Does not use naming conventions, I personally don't like having to keep track of what every single object is named. Collections in 2.8 work great and make it very easy to group a bunch of meshes so I'm using that instead.

@MACHIN3 not that I know of, some got added to 2.8 it looks like (like roughness? Unless that was already there?). I'd love to have every input of the principled baker available!

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @peris Naming conventions are a necessary pipeline evil. That, and I'm ocd with naming everything on my computer! :)

So how does the Collections system flag paired low/high for baking? Is it using bounding box? I have no interest in physically explode-baking in this day and age. 

Edit: just got a chance to do a test bake. This tool UI is a perfect example of  'by artists, for artists'. So simple, yet it does everything that should be expected and as straightforward as possible. Thanks again for this.

Edit 2: testing baking collections. Crashes Blender every time. I'm on the 31/12/18 build.