Home General Discussion

Whats your IQ score...?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    This is bizarre. How did you get these job titles? Do you know they have specific meanings in this industry? 

To use these you have to have a resume to back them up. You can't just add job titles you don't really have.

This is part of the context of danr's response.
  • Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    <90
    My IQ was low before I entered this thread and after reading its a bit lower. I think I need to """"get to absolute fuck and then to fuck right off when i get there"""" to save my mind from more irreversible damage.
  • pangaea
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    >141
    @JordanN
    You should have posted that scene first to polycount for advice, like does the roof have to have so much polygons? does the ceiliing lights have to be so high poly for not that much silhouette change?. Also, your not a senior environment artist you don't need a high IQ to see that.

https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/013/083/138/large/jordan-nelson-warehouse-render-jordann-14.jpg?1537971924
    Nine million tris seems a lot for that scene as it doesn't look that complex. Not sure where all the polygons are going. 

If a senior environment artist did a warehouse it would look like this https://80.lv/articles/from-small-to-complex-level-art-in-a-box/
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    The thing is, Jordan, you make every thread about you. And I know you probably don't view it that way— maybe you think it's danr's fault, or someone— but you don't know when to just quiet down, and cool off. You escalate the situation, and then pretend to be above it all, or go off on some long musing about things you know little about, or that don't even relate to the conversation. And again, and again, and again.

All these back and forths, no one is joking, will straight-up prevent you from getting at least some jobs in the industry. Sure, some companies don't have people who come to polycount, but many do. And being viewed the way you're viewed isn't a good look, and won't do you any favors.

As a tip, if you feel like someone is being unfair to you on here, take a deep breath, and walk away. No matter how direct. I know it's hard, but do it.

Or if you must sometimes get into flame wars, at least post art more often to make up for it. Half of the problem is your reputation as someone who talks a lot about working, while also not really working.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    <90
    Please just listen to the advice, take a break from Polycount, work on your art, become a part of the industry and experience the problems you so often like to debate. Let your art do the talking, I don`t know if this is a good thing or not but people working in the same industry tend to listen and have more respect for ones ideas and opinions if you have the experience and skills in your field, so get to work and take revenge with your art.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    101-110
    Joopson said:
    The thing is, Jordan, you make every thread about you. And I know you probably don't view it that way— maybe you think it's danr's fault, or someone— but you don't know when to just quiet down, and cool off. You escalate the situation, and then pretend to be above it all, or go off on some long musing about things you know little about, or that don't even relate to the conversation. And again, and again, and again.

But this is completely false and goes against what I've been saying about wishing to confirm my innocence with other developers.

If I showed a developer the post of where someone wanted to physically hurt me, are you actually going to say the developer is going to side with the attacker instead of the person who is being threatened by them?

Another example is this:
    This is bizarre. How did you get these job titles? Do you know they have specific meanings in this industry? 

Artstation doesn't have any rules that say your title has to reflect reality. I've seen people put down any whimsical title, do you think people are being disrespectful when they say "I'm a Cat" on Artstation?

I put down Senior Environment Artist and Art Director as positions I would like to work in the industry, and again, I would be happy to explain my reasoning for doing so. Why would Danr have complete authority over what I wrote down and not the other hundred people who write down "I'm a cat" "I'm a polygon"?
  • Michael Knubben
    Read that. Meditate on why you posted that, and what's changed since then.
    I'm banning you temporarily, take this time to walk away and think without being so defensive.
    If you've got art to post, you can always get in touch and the ban will be reverted.

• Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    <90
    JordanN said:
    Artstation doesn't have any rules that say your title has to reflect reality. I've seen people put down any whimsical title, do you think people are being disrespectful when they say "I'm a Cat" on Artstation?

I put down Senior Environment Artist and Art Director as positions I would like to work in the industry, and again, I would be happy to explain my reasoning for doing so. Why would Danr have complete authority over what I wrote down and not the other hundred people who write down "I'm a cat" "I'm a polygon"?
    I know you are banned and all but you will probably read this anyway so I am just going to be putting it out here.

Setting your title as something nonsensical is not the same as putting an senior title that you actually attain through accredited work. You don't call yourself something you aspire to be on a professional platform, you just don't. You have to put in the work to acquire those titles and you are clearly not, you just keep waxing poetic about theory while your practical work is not even fit for a junior artist position. Get real.
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    JordanN said:
    . Why would Danr have complete authority over what I wrote down and not the other hundred people who write down "I'm a cat" "I'm a polygon"?
    sorry, why have i been mentioned in this sentence?

since i don't wish to escalate, and - oh - jordanN can't reply anyway, a little clarification :

1) user A posts about having rubbish conversations about 3d art
    2) user B makes perfectly valid point about bullshit not making a good basis for conversation
    3) user A deflects this by posting something that looks suspiciously like questioning B's professional integrity. Which, y'know, given the overall context mentioned above is really likely to wind people up
    4) user B - not being entirely sure if or why this was said - doesn't want to debate with the undebateable, decides to cover all bases and, in a calculated and intentional bit of passive aggressiveness i might add, indirectly suggests A should fuck off

note - since this is the internet, and not the workplace, this is allowed.

5) user A confuses the internet with the workplace and goes off on one. As per usual.

okay?

right, everyone fuck off

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    <90
    Damn, I remember a time when this thread was fun.

It felt like yesterday. Oh wait... It was.
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    121-130
    Remember when this thread was about penis sizes, oh wait I mean IQ.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    About IQ's and intelligence : these are very subjective things. 

I've known a few people who, in certain context, were nothing short of brilliant. And yet, perhaps on a more emotional plane, they were closer to something that might be described as insane. One can only speculate as to why, but these people had certain patterns of behavior that were just locked into a perpetual, self-harming loop. From the outside, you just wanted to grab the person, shake them violently, and yell, "you're so smart, stop with this bullshit!" But there is also the problem with these people that they know they are smart, and so it's hard to convince them of anything. So "smarts" can be a double edged sword. Once a person allows themself to believe they are smart, what happens? They stop changing. Adapting. And that's dumb.

Again, I can only speculate, and only a medical professional has the authority to diagnose, but I think there is a degree in which this could be called a learning disability or mental illness. In any case, when you are stuck with somebody on your team, you need to find a way to get the most from them. This is everybody's job, not just the leader. 

Not insinuating anything about anyone here, this thread just got me thinking about people and experiences from my past.
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    131-140
    so get to work and take revenge with your art.
    I feel like I just got off a rollercoaster with this thread. Anyway this is pure gold Jonas this is like write this on my wall type stuff.
  • Kashaar
    Offline / Send Message
    Kashaar polycount sponsor
    Smarts are nothing without hearts, y'all! You gotta be holistically intelligent, not just rationally! Which is totally a thing and not just something I made up on the spot.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Farts ain't nothin without the sharts, y'all. You gotta be hysterically intestinal, not just rash-on-it-all. Which is totally a thicc, and not just a shat I made on a squat.
  • Sk0LLiE
    Offline / Send Message
    Sk0LLiE polycounter
    <90
    I was wondering if the ban hammer was going to fall.... and so it did.
    Im not going to deny I enjoyed the show though.
    Hopefully Jordan learns something from this....maybe.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    <90
    @Chillydog3D heh, regardless was definitly the most salient point made on this thread thus far...lol
  • pangaea
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    >141
    Is there an art IQ test?

People say there no such thing as talent in art or it not that important to focus on. But, then if art is like athletics you could get screwed by not having the correct genetics.

Even if you trained as hard as say Usain Bolt you wouldn't be able to beat him as he has such better genetics than your in terms of running. A lot of these genes are worked out that show for example most sprinters have fast twitch 577RR gene. 

There might be some art gene that gives people massive advantage over another person. 

Reminds me of Naruto. The story of Naruto is the idea that a loser kid can become great. However, at the end you find out he has the best genetic line in the whole show. 
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    131-140
    @pangaea Even if there were some kind of universal art talent test it wouldn't really matter. Because if someone were to train like Usain and get the experience of Usain and STILL not be better than him due to genetics that person is still great and amazing in their own right. They achieved something through their hard work and determination. The whole being the best thing is super small scope.

The extra boost that Usain may have over anyone else would only matter if everyone lived in the same village and there were only 100 people in that village. It just comes down to that there are so many people doing so many things it rarely matters that any individual has a couple more "Art Talent Points".

Still it would be cool to take a test like that so we can all add more statistics to our big dick kingdom we are building lol
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    <90
    Welcome to Polycount! To create an account, you must first take our Art IQ quiz!

Your results with determine how other users treat you and which sections of the forum you have access to. If you get a low score, and you decide to create a new account to score higher, you're only lying to yourself, and we hope you feel bad.

Question 1: At what age is it too late to learn video game art?
    a) 14
    b) 17
    c) 18
    d) 21

• Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    131-140
    this thread got awful since my last post

thank G-d classics dont age
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Jordann, whenever you come back you should ping me. I work in a warehouse and could point out some things that could improve your scene if you're interested
  • dur23
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    <90
    IQ is trash. Trying to measure one of the most complex systems know to man with a single fucking number. Dumb as shit. It's also used by race science IDW scumbags all the time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wcSSLo9TIs
  • Joao Sapiro
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    131-140
    Gould was an absolute pseud
  • Eric Chadwick
  • CrackRockSteady
    Gould was an absolute pseud
    Even if you believe this, it doesn't make what was said in the video about cultural and racial bias in IQ tests untrue
  • dur23
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

No bullshit -- I think I know the guy in the GIF. 

Must confirm.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    <90
    He sure was a smart guy...for an agnostic.
  • dystopianghost
    Offline / Send Message
    dystopianghost polycounter lvl 10
    111-120
    ....what did I just spend 20 mins reading, it was like a dumpster fire I couldn't look away from
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    131-140
    ....what did I just spend 20 mins reading, it was like a dumpster fire I couldn't look away from
    Yea this is a 200 IQ thread lol
  • dystopianghost
    Offline / Send Message
    dystopianghost polycounter lvl 10
    111-120
    @zachagreg
    Yeah everyone was actually trying to help and give advice and it seemed to fall on deaf ears sadly.
  • Udjani
  • Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    131-140
    131 bang on. Apparently you need over 131 to get into mensa. 
    Too dumb to understand geniuses, too smart to chill with meatbags. gg.
  • Sk0LLiE
    Offline / Send Message
    Sk0LLiE polycounter
    <90
    Make it stop
  • Eric Chadwick
    Yeah ok so we banned digitalfreaky, and he's gone ballistic.

Spamming the forums. Sending us b.s. legal threats (real law types don't actually do this, dontcha know? no, cuz you're a douche). Basically, providing more evidence why we don't want trolls like them around here.

So, we're doing what we can. We'll keep sweeping up the cheerios. Sorry for the mess, folks.