Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Optiniums works

Replies

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Wipdate on my orc sculpt, think I'm going to try and do a rendition of Thrall. Doing some secondary details on the face.

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    spent a little bit of time tonight making some proxies/placeholders for armour. Gonna need an element way to do them big braids :3

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Did a lil bit of noodling on this dude yesterday.

• Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    He looks great, the armor feels really heavy and chunky. But the lack of transition between the spikes and the shoulder pads is dragging down the armor in my opinion. So I would try to find a way to polish that a bit. 
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    You're absolutely right man, the lighting on the left shoulder spike really highlights it when compared with all the other bits which are bedded in some way. I'll get that sorted :D Thanks for the feedback :)
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Update on Thrall, still plenty to do, especially in the legs. Can't wait to retopo and texture this guy :3 feedback welcome.

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Messing around with this guy, based on a concept by Carlos Ruiz
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    hehehewwww buddy this is some nice stuff. ALthough I shouldnt expect any less than from the person who brought us pug knight. That thrall is lookin real nice!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    hey man, I havnt checked this thread in a loooong while, your still going strong I see.

I think your Thrall could use some work getting the likeness right for the face. the Hearthstone and heroes of the storm version are the most iconic and consistent design, I would recommend looking at some references there, even if your going for a more realistic style.
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Thanks guys.

@lotet, yeah I'm going for a more Warcraft Movie style, but I'll be sure to revisit the face and work into it further :)

In the meantime I've Retopo'd, UV'd and started painting this guy, still loads of painting and some FX to do. A twist on a concept by Carlos Ruiz.
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Did some more painting this lunchtime, decided to keep the spikes minimal as I'm thinking of adding a weapon and didn't want it to get to busy. Still painting to do but appreciate any feedback. Based on a concept by Carlos Ruiz
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    After some more painting earlier I did a little paintover of what I'm thinking of doing with the 'FX', looking for any feedback

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Another wip update, decided to stay with green and red although blue was nice :) any feedback appreciated before I finish it.

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Calling this gent done :) 

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Doing some Texturing and look dev on Thrall. Feedback welcome, unsure if the gold is a bit to much, might be okay with when all else is in.

• GuanAndOnly
    Offline / Send Message
    GuanAndOnly polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man, just your handpainted stuff is gorgeous. :0
    I was just wondering how long does it take you to finish something like a weapon? 
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Hey @GuanAndOnly A weapon would typically take a day or 2. I find it's good to sometimes take it onto a second day as you approach it with fresh eyes when going into a new session.

Chipping away at this guy during my lunch hours, been dormant a lot recently due to moving across the country :)

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Some images of them weapons I did 18 months ago, finally got round to making a somewhat halfway decent presentation image...

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Some 3D sketching. Working into it during my spare time :3
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Playing with a test render whilst waiting for the final high res passes to render out.
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Calling this guy done :3
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Hey all

I'm wanting a bit of feedback/thoughts on my Thrall so far. I've been on and off with the project for a year now between other personal bits and work. I'm gunning to finish the guy and have a list of stuff to do, but I'm also looking for some all important feedback and any suggestions. So here he is currently.

My to do list is:-
    - Hair and Fur need more work, colour variation, better silhouette, hero hairs etc... Add hair to the hair locks and trinkets.
    - Cloth areas need some work/detail, potentially some decals on the loincloths.
    - Skin needs correcting so that the face and arms match better, plus needs a good chunk of painting to generally look better.
    - Create Doomhammer
    - Create a Rig and pose (maybe animate small idle)

I'm sure loads of other tweaks will get done etc... Either way any feedback and/or suggestions are really welcome :)
  • Gillespionage
    Offline / Send Message
    Gillespionage polycounter lvl 6
    Lookin' pretty good!

I feel like his eyes are a bit too human though. Maybe they are just a little too small? I'm not too familiar with WOW but I played Warcraft 3 quite a bit back in the day and I remember his eyes being bigger.

Having said that, are you referencing the film more so than a 15-year-old game? :D haha

Also, I'd say the render could be a bit more punchy with the colour. It's quite dark and muddy at the moment, but I'm sure that will all come at the end once you've completed your to-do list.

Looking forward to seeing the final thing! Good Luck!
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Thanks Gillespionage.
    I'm going more for a realtime movie look. Yeah I've had a couple of people talk about punchier colours, I deliberately desaturated the textures but it seems that may have been a bad idea :)
    And hopefully the final render will be far better :D
  • jmiles
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Hey Lance-- So a couple of things stick out to me.

I think the round plates across his chest could be scaled up a bit more-- in a figurine I have at home and a few concepts I've seen around, they tend to protrude as a dominant set piece in the chest armor.  Maybe even spaced out and angled out a bit, as to create a dynamic look across the chest.  I think the "tube" shapes that stick out the side of the breastplate are going to give you problems later for animation-- they might have a thickness similar to what you've got right now, but they have to follow the contour of the hole where the arms come out-- otherwise it just looks like they're going to poke him under the arms, and he won't have enough room under the armpit for full shoulder rotation and maneuverability. 

I think the "x" hatching on his knee plate, directly in the center of the plate doesn't look natural, also kinda draws my eye down there-- perhaps a few slash marks offset from the center, or just on the gold trim-- or perhaps even just some scuffing of the black metal w/ dirt or rust in the cavities could help.

I think there could be more of a contrasted roughness/metalness break up particularly across the gold trim.  Also perhaps some brown and green color variations in there.

Definitely agree that his skin could be a bit more saturated in color-- don't necessarily need to go Hulk green, but could use some yellow in there and a punch up to the green-- perhaps contrast that w/ reds and purples in the cavities-- have some of that show through in the specular map..   Also, not sure if you've gotten there yet, but I think some Transmission and a slight Fresnel in the skin could really help punch the roundness and translucency in the skin.  I also think the face could use the "yellow, red, blue" treatment in his face-- a warmth to coolness from top to bottom, I think it'll help sell the life to his face.

Looking great tho man.  Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see his bad boy finished to go along w/ your Illidan!

Image result for Thrall doomhammer figure
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Wipdate

Firstly thanks for the concise feedback Miles, all of it hasn't gone unheeded :dizzy:

I've got rid of the hatching on the knee
    Redone the chest plate to make it a bit cleaner and allow a better range of movement
    Resized the chest ornaments and rejigged the chest area's layout a bit
    Relaxed his A-pose so it's less awkward
    Shrunk the shoulderpads a small amount
    Removed the heavy braid holders which I made from another concept and changed the design to the lighter ones from other concepts (and the one above.
    Started to retexture bits

Still got a bit to do, again any feedback is most welcome :D<3

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Did some work on some facial parts tonight, feedback always welcome <3

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    The end is in sight :3

• pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    whew lawd. that is wild man. I'm digging on this thrall. is there as lot of hand painted textures goin on around the skin? or is that a lot of generators happening 
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Did a pose test to get a vibe, need to add doomhammer, some FX, tweak the pose and redo the lighting :3

@pmiller001 - the facial skin is done by hand, I did try an iteration with a substance painter base but scrapped it.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Very cool!, Whats that blue happening under his hand? Is it gonna be lightning? 
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Yeah lightening was the idea, not sure if I will pursue the route, all depends on how everything looks once it's all together with the weapon and lighting etc...
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    The end is in sight :3 Need to pull my finger out and make the Doomhammer and have a go at some PFX... been spending to much time on Mario and Zelda recently :P 

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    So finished this guy up, tried to present him in a novel way aswell as the obligatory poses etc... Thanks to everyone who gave critiques, they helped a bunch. Onto something new :dizzy:

• RadoslavTopalov
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Great work here man! 

I know you are finished with it, so sorry for the late crit, but one thing that stands out to me is a general disconnect between the head and the body/armor.  It looks almost like the texel density is way more for the head and the body is super low.  I see like huge details on the armor, scuffs, highlights etc. and the face is super subtle and smooth looking.  It looks almost as if someone photoshoped a head onto the body to me.  One solution that could still help, is just isolate the head (and possibly other skin areas) and adjust them in photoshop with levels and stuff.  I know this isn't ideal for a game character, but for presentation purposes, might be a quick fix.  Again, everything is done great on this, and the pieces alone are outstanding.  This is just something that jumped out to me seeing the whole thing as a final composition.  
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    A couple of dinner times invested, some hand painted practice before tackling something bigger

@ Optimus - Yeah it's 'game ready' that was the intent

@ Brad - No need to apologise for a legitimate crit, I guess this is a side effect of the facial texture being of comparable texel density to the entire torso. I might go back at some point and level up the sharpness in those images, I'm currently scoping out my next project which eats up a lot of my spare moments. Thanks again :D
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Super cool man, Has a really nice darksiders vibe!

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Roughing out this fella, based on a concept by the ace artist Lynn Chen. Still early doors but going to go the hand painted route 

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Work in progress low poly Corgi Traveler :3 Based on a concept by the talented Lynn Chen. Just started painting it in 3DCoat, laying down the base, plenty to do :D This is going to be loads of fun to paint :) 
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Rigged this fella and did some animations, having so much fun I've neglected to finish the texture :3

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Finished this guy up in time for new year :3 Thanks for all the support people :D 

• Torch
    Online / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Looks great man, nice job! Topology on point too.
  • Eepox
    Offline / Send Message
    Eepox polycounter lvl 7
    That's so adorable @Optinium ! I've seen art of the corgi on Artstation before, lovely to see a 3D version of him :) Looks adorable and clean both topo and texture wise!

Also great work on Thrall above!
  • Felixenfeu
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    incredible work. I like the final frame a lot.
  • EricElwell
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    I love this little dude. :)
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Thanks for all the nice compliments people :dizzy:

Just 'woofing' this one out... :3 Need to add some rocket exhausts, not sure on the colour scheme/designs of the rockets just yet, I'll work into it and see how I feel :D

He's going to use the same rig as the last guy but thinking of maybe adding some VFX and learn some of that for fun :D

• Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Chipping away at this fella, not 100% happy with parts, so still plenty of paint to go on yet, feedback always welcome :3

• Bar0n
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar0n polycounter lvl 9
    Optinium said:
    Chipping away at this fella, not 100% happy with parts, so still plenty of paint to go on yet, feedback always welcome :3

I love the corgi and the pug! They are so awesome and cute!

I'd see some cool stickers on the rocket thing, to break away from the metal only. He looks like a Pug who likes stickers in my opinion