Home General Discussion

Game of Thrones

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    things where going slooooow, and then that whitewalker battle dropped, holy shit im on board again o.O
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    That was a much needed injection of action and tension in an otherwise slow and seemingly uneventful season so far - hopefully it finishes strong.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    lotet wrote: »
    things where going slooooow, and then that whitewalker battle dropped, holy shit im on board again o.O
    Exactly. That went from 0-100 real fast. Can't wait for next week.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Solid episode...I'd like to see more Arya development.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Last nights episode was a breath of fresh air. I could honestly see Arya go away, though. Her story seems completely uninvolved with the big picture and I want to fast forward everything about her and the stupid-faced God.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Last nights episode was a breath of fresh air. I could honestly see Arya go away, though. Her story seems completely uninvolved with the big picture and I want to fast forward everything about her and the stupid-faced God.

yea im getting to that point now too
  • classiclover
    Offline / Send Message
    classiclover polycounter lvl 2
    It was kinda boring at first but ended the episode with a bang!
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Apparently the final episode for this season is called "mothers mercy".

I'm wondering if the other book readers think were about to see a certain plot element come into play.

heart-rock.jpg
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    ysalex wrote: »
    Apparently the final episode for this season is called "mothers mercy".

I'm wondering if the other book readers think were about to see a certain plot element come into play.

heart-rock.jpg

Hope springs eternal for this. I just don't know how they can pull it off without it being a mind fuck.

Other theories about the finale's title are about
    Cersei's walk of penance and something with Stannis' daughter and wife.
  • Daew
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Could be with dany and her dragons, mercy has been a big thing with her story
  • Kitty|Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    artstream wrote: »
    Cersei's walk of penance and something with Stannis' daughter and wife.
    they have filmed the Cersei walk (there was an article last year regarding a request for closing streets in a city (cant remember where) with details that can only mean the Cersei walk) so i am guessing that will happen in either ep 9 or 10. looking at the episode names I'm guessing 10, I think it will be a scene of similar length to hardhome, considering how much it probably cost to film.
  • CandyStripes05
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry don't remember how to embed and am on my cell :/ but the link is worth it imo :)
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    That episode... emotional roller coaster. Touching moments, followed by sadness, followed by greatness... with sprinkling of humor, here and there. Loved it overall
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I still feel the pain.
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    notman wrote: »
    That episode... emotional roller coaster. Touching moments, followed by sadness, followed by greatness... with sprinkling of humor, here and there. Loved it overall

QFT. Such a good episode 9, really well done.
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    So these Unsullied, which are supposed to be elite warriors, keep holding their unwieldy long spears in a close-range dagger fight.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Episode was absolutely amazing :O

I'm in awe.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    This was going through my head last night, so I had to throw it together during my break.
    (the clip contains ep.9 spoilers)
  • uncle
    Shiniku wrote: »
    the one turned into a puff of snow the second the sword touched him. I don't remember what it looked like last time we saw a white walker die, though.
    Valyrian steel.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    This was going through my head last night, so I had to throw it together during my break.
    (the clip contains ep.9 spoilers)

That's some funny shit right there
  • DireWolf
    @Kryzon yea they don't feel like elite warriors anymore. More like brainless clones.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Stormtrooper effect.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    They do seem to die pretty easy, but I believe the effectiveness of the Unsullied is supposed to be in a.) their discipline and b.) group tactics. They do pretty well with the shield/spear combo when its a larger battle, but this kind of gorilla style fight with the sons of the Harpy kinda made that impossible.

Anyways that was a pretty hardcore episode and one of my favorite seasons so far.

I'm wondering a little bit what the point of the 'Jaime in Dorne' storyline is, but that conversation he had in his chambers with her near the end make me think something ominous is coming before he makes it onto a ship.
  • ledyr
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    I hope the last episode will be as good as previous two episodes.
    I hate Stannis right now! WTF?!
    beware of redhead chicks!
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    uncle wrote: »
    Valyrian steel.
    I understand WHY it happened, I just think the effect itself looked a little stupid. I'm just nitpicking though, it was a great scene.

Recent episode was pretty good though, I'm definitely more interested in what's going on with Dany now. Totally blindsided by
    the development with Stannis.
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Stannis is a man who ain't afraid to make hard decisions. Love it.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand WHY it happened, I just think the effect itself looked a little stupid. I'm just nitpicking though, it was a great scene.

Recent episode was pretty good though, I'm definitely more interested in what's going on with Dany now. Totally blindsided by
    the development with Stannis.

same thing happened when
    sam killed one [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAfdHNjbYHU[/ame]
    turned to ice then shattered
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    these last 2 episodes were awesome, finally picking up speed towards the end of this season. its been a bit slow but it all seems to be coming to a head. god damn, stannis is a stoic man.
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Started hating Stannis... But the episode was awesome.
    Loved seeing Tyrion saving Missandei!
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    booooo stannis. Just... boooo.

bad. bad stannis.

... sigh.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    why are people spoiler tagging stuff that already happened?
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Never liked Stannis very much, don't know where all the love started, or
    why people say burning Shireen wasn't in his character
    . He cut off Davos's fingers for smuggling even though he saved him and his army, he killed his own brother and he was willing to sacrifice innocent Gendry, his brother's son.
  • DireWolf
    huffer wrote: »
    Never liked Stannis very much, don't know where all the love started

If anything, I think him cutting Davos finger sounds really fair and I respected Davos so much for accepting it straight on.
    On the other hand, in the books it made much more sense. Stannis was never a believer of the Lord of Light. However, ALL his troops were! They worshiped and believed in the Lord so much that it were the soldiers themselves that requested to have some people burnt. Stannis was forced to burn his own kins and relatives back at Dragonstone because he couldn't risk upsetting his own people. It was never to his liking.

Now to Shireen... which is ahead of the book, but, looking from the book's perspective, the troops marched with full confidence that the Lord was on their side. The storm however was against them, which could make them doubt if gods were really on their side. That's a BIG impact on soldier's morale. Stannis needed to reinforce that one way or another. Morale is the cheat code of ancient warfare, after all.

The show kind of interpret it completely backwards with shots of those soldiers looking away in pain and sorrow... pushing the darkness onto Stannis alone.
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Stannis' decision was really hard but it's the right one , he doesn't have a lot of moves or time left and it's alrady been shown what the lord of light has done with a bit of blood.
  • Daew
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    ._. burning your own daughter is a right choice? Stuff the throne lol.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    why are people spoiler tagging stuff that already happened?

sorry just a habit from this thread.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Yeah I really liked it, some very cool scenes. Loved the giant and the white walkers. Although it looked a little silly when
    the one turned into a puff of snow the second the sword touched him. I don't remember what it looked like last time we saw a white walker die, though.

yeAnD9z.jpg
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K wrote: »
    Stannis' decision was really hard but it's the right one , he doesn't have a lot of moves or time left and it's alrady been shown what the lord of light has done with a bit of blood.

The right one, really? He could just have gone home, as Davos suggested. He could go without the throne. Clearly his daughter was his lowest priority.

I can tell you, as a parent of 2 daughters, I wouldn't sacrifice them for anything. Bill Gates could show up at my door, and offer to exchange his fortune, for one of my daughters, and I'd still refuse him.
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    The right one, really? He could just have gone home, as Davos suggested. He could go without the throne. Clearly his daughter was his lowest priority.

I can tell you, as a parent of 2 daughters, I wouldn't sacrifice them for anything. Bill Gates could show up at my door, and offer to exchange his fortune, for one of my daughters, and I'd still refuse him.

That's nice and all but we're talking about a fictional show with fictional characters with fictional events and not reality.

Stannis refused this decision at the first chance this was suggested to him with something along the lines of "there has to be another way" his supplies and siege weapons then got burnt. And he won't retreat at all. So he played the hand of the lord of light.

Stannis is stoic and proud as fuck. He won't retreat , he'll go forward WHATEVER THE COST. Which is what he did which is probably going to turn out to be the right choice if he wants that throne which is WANT HE WANTS. It's already been shown that the lord of light can do magical shit in the show so he'll do it again with the princess being burnt.

THIS HARD DECISION will bring STANNIS what he WANTS which is eventually going to be WINTERFELL.

( I haven't read the books but I think this is save to assume at this point )

It will be veeeeerey weird if Stannis just goes "alright davos my friend you're right let's go back lol" People watching this show will go what the hell , stannis you pussy.
  • Daew
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Just because Stannis made the decision and that is "what" he would do doesn't make it right,
    Also, following a man who would burn his own daughter shows his determination however If i were following him I would definitively think twice. If he is willing to burn his own daughter then what would happen when he is asked to burn his own loyal men.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    THIS HARD DECISION will bring STANNIS what he WANTS which is eventually going to be WINTERFELL.

Lol... you have watched the show right?...Absolutely nothing is safe to assume in GoT, whether its in the book or not. They'd kill off half the leading cast without batting an eyelid to get an audience's reaction...and pretty much did at the wedding. Not a single one of the characters is safe even when you think they are developing the character for something else. Thats why the show is awesome. I hate it when you know a character is safe from death because they are the highest paid actor. Not even Tyrion is safe imo, he could die next episode!
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    I think him getting Winterfell is safe to assume.

And no i'm not watching this show I'm just reading things from yahoo.

Anyways

mh8D3HL.jpg
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    That's nice and all but we're talking about a fictional show with fictional characters with fictional events and not reality.

Stannis refused this decision at the first chance this was suggested to him with something along the lines of "there has to be another way" his supplies and siege weapons then got burnt. And he won't retreat at all. So he played the hand of the lord of light.

Stannis is stoic and proud as fuck. He won't retreat , he'll go forward WHATEVER THE COST. Which is what he did which is probably going to turn out to be the right choice if he wants that throne which is WANT HE WANTS. It's already been shown that the lord of light can do magical shit in the show so he'll do it again with the princess being burnt.

It will be veeeeerey weird if Stannis just goes "alright davos my friend you're right let's go back lol" People watching this show will go what the hell , stannis you pussy.
    Sure, I know it's not reality, and I know how GoT works. I'm just relating it to reality, as a Dad. As a Dad, I would find it hard to put any of my wants, before my children. Maybe if my children were like the Lannisters, but Stannis' daughter was nothing like that.

Besides that, I was mostly addressing the 'right choice', because no matter how you spin it, I don't think it's the 'right' choice. It may be the choice that benefits him the most, but morally, not right, even in the slightest.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Les Rois Maudits an influence of GoT. Quite interesting and amusing, great reference material also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIdo7BsI17Q
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    As a Dad, I would find it hard to put any of my wants, before my children. Maybe if my children were like the Lannisters, but Stannis' daughter was nothing like that.

I don't think it's Stannis putting his wants ahead of his children, it's putting his army and people before himself and his family. He doesn't seem like he wants to rule out of desire for power but because he thinks it's his duty to do so.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Stannis wants to rule because Melisandre wants him to rule (for now), that is all.
  • MooseCommander
    Marine wrote: »
    I don't think it's Stannis putting his wants ahead of his children, it's putting his army and people before himself and his family. He doesn't seem like he wants to rule out of desire for power but because he thinks it's his duty to do so.

It's not just his army - Stannis honestly believes he has to become king to fulfill his prophecy. He is the only person capable of becoming king and fighting the White Walkers.

Stannis didn't sacrifice his daughter for himself, or for his army, but for ALL of Westeros. He did it to save the entirety of humanity. I can't blame him for doing it because he honestly believes it.

Of course, its more likely Jon is actually Azor and not Stannis, so whoops!

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Azor_Ahai
  • DireWolf
    Dunno Moose, Stannis doesn't seem that convinced on the idea that he's the one... it looks like he sort of play along uncertainly from the way the actors convey it.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i was confused for a second

been a great last two episodes, can't wait to see how it wraps up. woo!