Home General Discussion

Game of Thrones

Replies

• notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not defending it, just pointing out what they are probably thinking. I agree, it's an old school methodology, that is a bit backwards. Hopefully netflix will cause a change in the industry.

I think the real problem is, there isn't enough content on HBO, to justify the subscription, most of the time. They used to play great movies, all the time. Now they just repeat old flicks, that I really don't care for. They introduce one movie, every week or so, and it's usually not great.
    On the flip side, netflix is actively working to get more content, and trying to create more original series'. Not that HBO isn't also, but they don't feel as aggressive about it.
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Out of curiosity, am I the only one who hates Daenerys?
    I see a lot of love for that character, but I just hate the character lol.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    spiderDude wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I totally hate her.

I think she's annoying as a character, and her story is just not compelling. It seems like she has the most plot armor of anyone in the show, despite constantly making stupid impulsive decisions, everything seems to go her way and it seems like she's totally invincible. Whenever she pops up on screen I feel like taking a little nap. Maybe that'll change once her story starts to overlap and tie in a little more with some characters I actually give a shit about.

The first ep was cool but didn't really excite me at all. Maybe I should have rewatched a few episodes to get back into it, but I wasn't really invested in anything that was happening.
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah unfortunately Daenerys hasn't translated to the screen very well. There is a lot of subtext in her story, and Jon's, that the show never made an attempt to capture.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    She's pretty boring in the books too, truthfully. She's a world away from the rest of the action and everyone else that people seem to care more about. I think viewers and readers really just want to see her march west with some dragons and a bunch of Dothraki screamers at her command. Instead she anchors down on a pyramid for what feels like an eternity, trying to make everyone like her.
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Ok cool, so it's not just me lol. From what I understand she is 13 years old in the books, which would explain all of her really naive decisions. Since the show aged her a bit, for tv audiences, she just comes across as naivety stupid.
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    She's 13, and being massively manipulated by all the people she trusts in life. Some scary stuff happens and she has to start figuring it out on her own.

Her story is actually pretty nuts when you take the prophecy the followers of R'Hllor believe in, blood magic and all that good stuff. Unfortunately the show does an absolutely terrible job of filling in Daenerys's story. There is a swirl of plots surrounding her, masterfully crafted plots that are really hard to see, but they are right in front of the readers eyes, after you've read it a few times and are familiar with the players.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Ok cool, so it's not just me lol. From what I understand she is 13 years old in the books, which would explain all of her really naive decisions. Since the show aged her a bit, for tv audiences, she just comes across as naivety stupid.

How old is she suppose to be on the show?
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Old enough to not get HBO in trouble for her nudity and sex scenes.

Edit: "The TV series adaptation wanted to increase the age of several of the younger characters for censorship reasons: Daenerys's aged was directly linked to the war, because her father died at the very end of it and she was born after his death. Thus Robert's Rebellion occurred 15 years before the beginning of the first novel, but is repeatedly stated to have occurred 17 years before Season 1 of the TV series. It was never definitively stated if this meant that the rebellion started two years earlier, or if the events of Season 1 occur two calendar years later than their book counterparts. Based on the fact that prop letters in Season 1 continued to be dated as "298 AL" - the same year that the first novel begins - Game of Thrones Wiki has taken this as indication that Robert's Rebellion must have begun two years earlier in the TV continuity, in 280 AL instead of 282 AL."

So in the show she was born around 280AL, and gets married around 298AL. She'd currently be around 22 (302AL)
    -http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
  • glottis8
  • Mary_Marinez
    Just read news that the first episode of the fifth season of game of Thrones brought a record number of viewers to Sky Atlantic. The channel had its best overnight performance to date and was up 29% on last year's season opener with 1.57 million viewers tuned in.

Whoa, okay... But wasn't that expected?
  • Chantel-sky
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    Shiniku wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I totally hate her.

I think she's annoying as a character, and her story is just not compelling. It seems like she has the most plot armor of anyone in the show, despite constantly making stupid impulsive decisions, everything seems to go her way and it seems like she's totally invincible. Whenever she pops up on screen I feel like taking a little nap. Maybe that'll change once her story starts to overlap and tie in a little more with some characters I actually give a shit about.

The first ep was cool but didn't really excite me at all. Maybe I should have rewatched a few episodes to get back into it, but I wasn't really invested in anything that was happening.

Lol plot armor! I agree and I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hates her lol!
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14

Its gonna be interesting seeing her stuff translate to screen. Theres some nice elements I thought though seems the show is speeding up book 4 and 5.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10

I liked her when she was coming to power. It seemed like she was getting ready to stomp on people, but now she's just kind of sitting around in the city dealing with mundane things. Her story stalled pretty hard.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Chromogen wrote: »
    Having to wait another 4 weeks until the show catches up to me? No thanks.

more like try to stay alive between those 4 weeks. EVERYONE is spoiling without a care in the world. I watch all 4 episodes wednesday, i had already heard people spoiling it in bus, fastfood, school, bus stop, in a shops, etc. People think that because they have saw or read something EVERYONE did too.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Arya still remains my favorite. The dwarf is getting a slow bit right now.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Odow wrote: »
    more like try to stay alive between those 4 weeks. EVERYONE is spoiling without a care in the world. I watch all 4 episodes wednesday, i had already heard people spoiling it in bus, fastfood, school, bus stop, in a shops, etc. People think that because they have saw or read something EVERYONE did too.

Worlding. People talking about stuff, and you hear it. Damnation!

People. Serisously. Why do you even care someone spoiling something. Hearing about something is not even remotely close, to watching it on your own.
    Whats the problem ?

I always read and watching everything, before reading book, watching move or new TV show.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    LRoy wrote: »
    I liked her when she was coming to power. It seemed like she was getting ready to stomp on people, but now she's just kind of sitting around in the city dealing with mundane things. Her story stalled pretty hard.

It's the same in the books. I'm not giving away spoilers here since varys suggested to tyrion that he seek out danerys, but GRRM called this problem of characters traveling to/from merreen the "mereneese knot". He had to stall out several characters to give time for others to travel long distances and re-orient themselves in the narrative. Tyrion, khalessi, Sansa and Jon bear the brunt of it, meanwhile arya, bran, reek and asha are having the most fun.

There are subtle indications that the show runners are going to avoid this problem, so hopefully if doesn't last much longer. Also leaving brans story out of this season completely will help as well.

Episode 1 was great, I thought, look forward to this season and seeing how it plays out.
  • vargatom
    LRoy wrote: »

Funnily enough, that's exactly the point the author is trying to make.
    Conquest is one thing, but consolidating power and building an empire that actually works is in fact a lot harder.

Even in the show, Dany is obviously facing a lot of very different problems, and she lacks both the wisdom and the proper advisers to deal with them. Ser Barristan might have been a Kingsguard for a long time but he didn't have to deal with politics and such as much - he was one of the greatest warriors of his time but that's pretty much all. The rest of Dany's circle has even less experience and they're all driven by their personal agendas, so not much help from there either. Which is also why it makes all kinds of sense for Varys to recruit Tyrion as a potential adviser.

So this is a transitional period for Dany, a time when she could learn how to become a good ruler. If she had conquered Westeros, she would have faced the same kinds of problems; but if she can find a way to consolidate her power in the East, she would also become capable of sitting on the Iron Throne.

But I understand if this is a bit boring to a lot of people. However, you can trust Martin and the HBO guys that things are going to escalate pretty soon :)
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Tough ending. This Ramsay guy is truly an asshole.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    At this point i feel that so many elements differ from the books (especially this latest ending which is FAAAAR removed), that they're basically two different stories now.

I'm very much looking forward to the nerdrage from both camps when the series and books have completely different endings and everyone is trying to decide which one is the correct one.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I rather like these in-between episodes. They don't have nearly as much significant events happening. But they also give us a bit of a breather, and a chance to catch up with some of the character moments that allow for a greater depth of interaction between some of my favorite personalities. In the most recent episode, I really enjoyed the events in King's Landing, as well as the back-and-forth between Tyrion and Mormont.

Circe continues to be a fascinating character to watch. You wouldn't want to spend time with her, she is a terrible, terrible person. But watching her as she tries to manipulate events is endlessly entertaining. At the end of this episode it seems as if she has managed to get her own way, and to do so in a manner that absolves her of blame. (at least in the legal sense, she isn't fooling anyone) It is interesting to see her rule in action, and to contrast it with that of Tyrion and Tywin. She is attempting to be covert and subtle, but is only really managing to be smug. And I'm getting the distinct impression that her current scheme to undermine the Tyrells is going to blow up in her face. Just from the events of the show I can think of several ways that this could turn out badly.

I was a little distressed by the turns Sansa's story has been taking. She's basically standing in for a different character in the books, and I have no idea where they intend for her to end up in all of this. And after the dramatic turn for Sansa at the end of the previous season, I was rather hoping we'd see her character exercising a bit more agency. That is not what we get. All we've seen from her this season is the same passive following that has characterized her for the entire run of the show. And the way things end for her when the credits role, I'm beginning to think that her decision to side with Baelish was a rather huge mistake.
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    I'm very much looking forward to the nerdrage from both camps when the series and books have completely different endings and everyone is trying to decide which one is the correct one.

As a reader of the books, I'm HAPPY the show is doing things differently. I feel like GRR fell into the same epic fantasy story trap that Robert Jordan did with the Wheel of Time, letting the story spin out of control. More characters, more sub-plots, stalling pace. I'm betting GRR doesn't even finish writing the books, and the show ends up finishing the story.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I'm beginning to think that her decision to side with Baelish was a rather huge mistake.

Ya think?
  • dimosM
    At this point i feel that so many elements differ from the books (especially this latest ending which is FAAAAR removed), that they're basically two different stories now.

Wait, so this never happened in the books?
  • DireWolf
    When I saw Olenna I seriously was hoping for something smart.

But what the hell was that conversation... just straight out threatening Cersei just like that? My gawd, seriously, Olenna's character is MUCH smarter than that.

I'm getting more and more disappointted the more episodes this season reveals....
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    dimosM wrote: »
    Wait, so this never happened in the books?

Book spoilers below:
    In the book, Ramsey marries Jayne Poole. Nobody in Westeros is aware of the continued existence of Sansa except for Littlefinger and probably Varys, although Cercei believes she's still alive, and hiding with Tyrion somewhere.

Littlefingers plan for Sansa in the book is to keep her hidden and marry her to Robert Aryn's heir (he's sick and seemingly not long for this world), making her the legitimate warden of both the north and the east once he revels her to be the "last surviving stark".

Revealing her to still be alive right now is a serious health risk for her because Cercei wants her head. And we all know how the Boltons feel about the Starks.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    as soon as they washed out her black hair dye you had to of known something was going to happen, back to miss vulnerable red head
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    People complain the last two books weren't very good. People also complain when the show doesn't follow those books exactly.

I'm getting tired of hearing it week after week. I'm still enjoying the show, maybe not as much as the first few seasons, but viewing the show as a standalone it's still alright.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I'm beginning to think that her decision to side with Baelish was a rather huge mistake.

Hm, not sure. Disregarding the ugly final scene, to me it seemed the writers were trying to show her stronger, more calculating side (interaction with reek and with that lovesick girl). Seeing as she seems to have the North's support, there are a number of possible coup scenarios now that she is queen, aren't there?
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Felt so good seeing that happen two nights ago. Knew it was coming, been waiting all season to see it.

In regards to Sansa
    I wonder if the writers will actually let her kill someone? She took the corkscrew, surely it will be used? Killing Ramsay would be a stretch I think, a generic guard though maybe? Or maybe she'll kill Theon. Wishful thinking I know..

With
    Dany actually meeting Tyrion, I'm curious if he will take the role of advisor to replace Barristan.
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Holy shit that last episode Hngngngnngngngngnngngngnngngng

I grinned and grinned and grinned.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I knew that was coming. Someone with a past like Cersei, should not be empowering people like that. It was only a matter of time.I'm glad she found the accommodations 'acceptable'.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    OMG. Now I can't wait til next one! Shit's COMING DOWN !

So, wait, did Balish send for that Lannister to join the fanatics thingy ? But that first encounter seems like they didn't know each other. But Balish told Olenna he sent for her a gift like he did with Cerci. What did he mean ?
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    @PyrZern:

Littlefinger (Baelish) knew Lancel (and about his trysts with Cersei) prior to last week's episode, hence why he was able to give him to Olenna.

"The gift" Littlefinger gave was information. To Cersei: he gave information on his employee Olyvar and his trysts with Loras, which she passed on the High Sparrow. To Olenna, he gave her information on Lancel sleeping with Cersei (and the plot to kill Robert back in season 1.) Which, for me, is a bit odd, as the information that Olenna would have given the high sparrow would have been already given by Lancel during his conversion to become a sparrow.

He didn't tell Lancel to join the Sparrows; it was just a coincidence.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I like cersei, they can't get rid of her :< They already killed khalessi in the most boring role ever.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still not comfortable with the Sansa-punishment hour. This episode all she does is throw a little uncertainty at her abuser, but otherwise it's a steady march of disenfranchisement for her.

The goings-on at King's Landing were considerably more entertaining. And it is good to see that Tyrion actually gets to reach the end of his journey. Seeing what will happen with both of those plotlines has me looking forward to this week's episode.
  • Daew
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    ._.

what an episode.
    Its a bit obvious but I have a bad feeling stannis is going to die after this episode.
    Showing that valyrian steel can kill whitewalkers. That means Melisandre is attracted to people that have stuff that can kill white walkers and not the people themselves?...
    also Ramsay...
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Was not expecting that to be so epic.

556bc21c378caf0d670e4d8c_come-at-me-crow-nights-king.gif
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Fantastic episode!
  • Francois_K
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    The last 20-30 minutes was the best 20-30 minutes of the entire series. So good.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    dunno. lord of the rings for the poor crossed with random zombie flick is what i thought of that. ;) couldn't wait for that to end to leave time for more interesting storylines but no such luck.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I really liked it, some very cool scenes. Loved the giant and the white walkers. Although it looked a little silly when
    the one turned into a puff of snow the second the sword touched him. I don't remember what it looked like last time we saw a white walker die, though.

I actually really liked this episode, I've been pretty disinterested most of the season. But finally seeing some more development with Dany is nice, and the ending was pretty cool. This is a TV series, the fact that it even comes close to looking as good as LOTR with some of these scenes impresses me.
  • dimosM
    Great episode, definitely the best in the season so far, but i am a little disappointed they haven't shown Bran yet. I mean is he going to fly or what? :shifty:
  • PhattyEwok
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    dimosM wrote: »
    Great episode, definitely the best in the season so far, but i am a little disappointed they haven't shown Bran yet. I mean is he going to fly or what? :shifty:

They've already confirmed that he isn't in this season to let some of the other character arcs develop. I think it's a breath of fresh air. Too many characters in one season and you end up with something Like Dany, a story that's stagnant as the writers play catch up.
  • SideEffect
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    Mastodon made an appearance haha

1907517_10153418113992948_9082884581070148931_n.jpg?oh=afffed40fb7f1b25a7de5dfefb4495aa&oe=55F71005

Also did a track:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXogTOJDWYs[/ame]
  • dimosM
    PhattyEwok wrote: »
    They've already confirmed that he isn't in this season to let some of the other character arcs develop. I think it's a breath of fresh air. Too many characters in one season and you end up with something Like Dany, a story that's stagnant as the writers play catch up.

I see, i guess i missed that... But that also means no Hodor as well :poly116:
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Whooo, really enjoyed last night's episode. A lot of the recent episodes were getting increasingly harder to watch. Much less of an emphasis on Sansa-torture and Ramsay-awfulness in this episode. And after nearly five seasons of the show, we finally get to see two of the shows most interesting rulers meet. The entire sequence between Tyrion and Danaerys was a lot of fun to watch.

And for the second half of the episode, we get undead ice-zombie apocalypse. Very nice!

If I had to guess, I would say that Jorah Mormont's days on the show are numbered. But that's just a guess, not a spoiler. His storyline has deviated enough from the novels that there's no real telling what's going to happen to him next.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5

If I had to guess, I would say that Jorah Mormont's days on the show are numbered. But that's just a guess, not a spoiler. His storyline has deviated enough from the novels that there's no real telling what's going to happen to him next.

My guess is he will die in the pits, but in front of Danaerys. That's really the best he can hope for at this point. Either that or she stops the fight as he's about to be killed, chaos ensues, Drogon returns and we finally see her fly on a dragon.