Home General Discussion

Star Wars Battlefront

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
notman polycounter lvl 18
So it looks like we may finally be getting an update next month:

http://goo.gl/Bvqo8S

I'm really hopeful for this, because still have 0 confidence in Dice, and the Frostbite engine, right now.... but I still can't help getting excited about it.

Replies

• Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Why don't you have any confidence in frost bite? It looks ossum!

I hope we get news :D
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    'looks' have never been the problem ;)
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
  • .nL
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    The quality of the gameplay shouldn't be tied to the engine. But I get what you're saying. Battlefront was the first shooter I ever played, and the first competitive multiplayer experience I've ever had.

Dice has some pretty big shoes to fill, if only because of the nostalgia felt for the series (I've gone back and played the games recently. The gameplay's good, but hasn't aged as well as the classic arena FPS's gameplay has).
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I think he's talking about the fiasco that was the battlefield 4 network code, compared to say the responsiveness of counter-strike.

Then again, counter-strike doesn't feature 64 players connected on one server.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Mathew O wrote: »
    Why don't you have any confidence in frost bite?

Um, because the last Battlefield game made with that engine was a buggy mess? Because the network code and on-line server issues were front and center in that debacle?

I like Star Wars as much as the other guy. And I certainly want the new Star Wars: Battlefront to kick ass. But I don't think a little bit of skepticism is unwarranted. And a lot of that skepticism is going to be centered around past issues with the engine. Maybe everything will be fine. Maybe all of the issues with the engine have been smoothed out, and won't be present in this release. But I'm not going to get all that excited over a little bit of bull-shot.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was pretty common knowledge these days, but basically what was said above, along with bugs that I have seen return over and over again, since BF3. Even when playing the recent beta of Hardline, some of the same bugs were there again. People are even making glitch videos, for Hardline, that are the exact same techniques used in BF4.
    It just feels, to me, like DICE is falling victim to their own successes. They are so busy trying to pump out the next game, that no one is stopping to stabilize that game engine.

Then again, I don't work there, so HOPEFULLY someone finally did that, for Battlefront, since it's such a high profile game. The visuals that they teased last year, looked absolutely amazing.
  • Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Man, I am so psyched for this game.
    Didn't get to play a Battlefield game since Bad Company 2, so even if the game turns out to be a SW themed Battlefield, I am going to be happy.

Seeing how Battlefront aged really poorly, I don't think theres alot they can borrow from the old games gameplay wise, so my guess is a 3rd person Battlefield game with lightsabers.

One thing for certain, this game is going to look dope.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I almost had tears, at how beautiful this looks:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwWLns7-xN8[/ame]
  • The Rizzler
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    I had to applaud after watching that, good lord that lava planet
    Man, the Star Wars 7 trailer yesterday and this is just an overload of childhood dreams brought into the present with a layer of awesomeness draped on top
    Have to contain the hype, have to remain cautiously neutral, until the reviews come in or even until we get our hands on the game/eyes on the movie. Still, It's looking like some hot shit so far on both fronts
    It's a good time to be a star wars fan

edit:
    God damnit, UK site compared to US site (scroll up)
    "available November 20th" for UK instead of 17th, why whyyyyy
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I reallllllly hope the gameplay is good (no more of the Frostbite multiplayer hit register issues), and that we aren't being fooled by a maxed out cinematic. That gameplay footage, at the end, looked amazing, but it was only vehicles, and very fast action.

But, for anyone here, working on the game, it looks absolutely beautiful, and you should be applauded for the visual pleasures :)
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome, only scary part for me is it doesn't mention any space star-destroyer gameplay at all (boarding and destroying from the inside out) which was my favorite part of Battlefront 2.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    they said in an interview earlier today, there will be no space battles. its all planetary conflicts apparently. looks pretty tight.
  • The Rizzler
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick wrote: »
    Looks awesome, only scary part for me is it doesn't mention any space star-destroyer gameplay at all (boarding and destroying from the inside out) which was my favorite part of Battlefront 2.

Does your name come from that certain star wars episode 2 scene in the bar? haha
    Anyway yeah, I hope there'll be some dogfighting above Endor as the ground troops fight, that Y wing scene could either be an AI bomber or an actual player bombing targets that the ground troops mark
    The old battlefront 3 prototype (that never got released) seemed to have ground to space fighting, you could hop into a ship and fly up out of the atmosphere. I think there was footage of some giant ship battles as well. The quality of the graphics was nothing like this though
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully, a future DLC (because we know EA will have a 'premium' package) will include space battles, or at least fighting within a star destroyer
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty good. Hopefully we will see some actual game play at E3 this year.
  • slipsius
    No single player campaign has been confirmed. Single player missions, but no campaign, which is slightly disappointing, from my perspective. I prefer single player stuff. Play at my own pace and what not.

That reveal trailer looks absolutely beautiful, but ya, I need to see actual gameplay footage. Not just in-engine cinematics. Even if there is no trickery there, which I feel there isn't, it still isn't gameplay. The last few shots appear to be the start of a mission, but that's still cinematic type stuff. How does it look from the users view. UI and all.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I love the look of the game, but is it confirmed that the game only has four maps and the rest is DLC?
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I hope the gameplay is good. Too many broken games rely on outstanding graphic these days. Game designers and programmers have to get their shits together and not just hope for artists to save the day.... Or pay artists more
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah i really hope the gameplay is awesome. Loved battlefront 2 from the pc/ps2 days so much freaking fun.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Does your name come from that certain star wars episode 2 scene in the bar? haha

haha I get that alot, although I actually came up with my username before the prequels when I used to play alot of the Day of Defeat when it was a mod (loved the kar98 and bayoneting ;) )

Then again, I'd rather people think I got my username from star wars than the wand in Harry Potter...
  • bounchfx
    they said in an interview earlier today, there will be no space battles. its all planetary conflicts apparently. looks pretty tight.

wow that's a massively disappointing thing to hear. I hope they're saving it for DLC rather than not doing it at all.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    What i want to know is:
    can i do local multiplayer with my kids like i did with BF2?
  • .nL
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    I think it's been confirmed, but I can't find the link right now.

EDIT

Split-screen 'missions'. Hopefully more, because that'd be awful if you had to play online to get quick battles in local multiplayer.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Yes. I think I spent almost 3 years playing exclusively Jedi Knight 2/Jedi Academy mods. I think it's the time for another Star Wars fix.

One thing I hope for is that the lasers need to travel across the world before they hit someone, instead of hitting them the moment you pull the trigger. That delay and compensating for it made the combat in older Star Wars games really unique.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I know a lot here are psyched with Battlefront, but I can't seem to get pumped for it knowing the title is being released under EA. Gonna have to wait for gameplay footage/reviews first!
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    It *lookS* amazing but until I see some actual ingame stuff and not cgi/posed bullshit I can't say for sure. I'm shocked and quite disgusted that even now, they would STILL pull this kind of bait and switch on us...

The best look we have at "ingame" impo those last few segments, which of course, look a lot worse than the rest of the game.

They are also aiming for 60FPS on console... Do people really expect it to look like that AND be 1080p? They couldn't even manage that with BF4 and Hardline...

I want... No... NEED this game to be amazing. But I can't help but feel like its being hidden a bit... They would have got so much good will from people from just releasing gameplay :(

Also I hear theres no ADS? I know there wasn't ADS in the old ones but I think this is the wrong call here..
  • The Rizzler
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. I think I spent almost 3 years playing exclusively Jedi Knight 2/Jedi Academy mods. I think it's the time for another Star Wars fix.

One thing I hope for is that the lasers need to travel across the world before they hit someone, instead of hitting them the moment you pull the trigger. That delay and compensating for it made the combat in older Star Wars games really unique.

There's been ballistic physics in the last few battlefields so I don't see why not
    Lasers in the movies move amazingly slow, I never really understood why they'd use lasers over bullets haha
    odium wrote: »
    It *lookS* amazing but until I see some actual ingame stuff and not cgi/posed bullshit I can't say for sure. I'm shocked and quite disgusted that even now, they would STILL pull this kind of bait and switch on us...

Also I hear theres no ADS? I know there wasn't ADS in the old ones but I think this is the wrong call here..

It's marketing, there will always be bullshots (or in this case bullvids haha)
    Anyway we're seeing some gameplay on Sunday apparently, hopefully that'll rest some fears

ADS is an interesting one, I believe that removing ADS (i.e. your gun is always accurate rather than only being accurate when you ironsight) actually promotes more skill based gameplay a la quake, csgo, unreal tournament rather than say CoD or battlefield, where if you get the drop on someone AND ironsight, you are super accurate against the opponent, who has not spotted you but ALSO doesn't have their ironsights active
    Essentially with no ADS, getting the drop on someone will not be such a huge advantage. More of a game design discussion than an art one haha
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

I still play JKA hehe. There's a group of people working on updating the engine, which is exciting.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Torch wrote: »
    I know a lot here are psyched with Battlefront, but I can't seem to get pumped for it knowing the title is being released under EA.

seconding this. star wars is big business, not some game that gives you local multiplayer or space battles as an expansion pack.
  • The Rizzler
    Offline / Send Message
    At least they're doing a good job with the art, apparently some photogrammetry techniques were used. It might not be gameplay, but it's in-engine
    The explosions look just like the special effects in the film too, I didn't notice at first
    They even have Vader's asymmetrical mask. The detail is faithful
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I still play JKA hehe. There's a group of people working on updating the engine, which is exciting.

Damn, I should probably get into it again sometimes. I actually recognize you from the Movie Battles scene haha. Spent years playing that thing on and off.

There's been ballistic physics in the last few battlefields so I don't see why not
    Lasers in the movies move amazingly slow, I never really understood why they'd use lasers over bullets haha

Yeah, I don't think it would be a tech problem. But if they make the lasers really slow, I'm not sure how people would react to it. I hope they will at least meet it halfway and make blaster fire faster than the movies, but slower than regular shooters. Being able to strafe out of the way of incoming fire was a pretty cool thing.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    It might not be gameplay, but it's in-engine

The term is utterly meaningless - we've all seen what engines can do when you crank them up to the max and throw pretty assets and expensive shaders into them. Crysis was guilty of it nearly 10 years ago (and the top-end features that did make it into the game still didn't run a decade later), and plenty of other games have done it since (Watch Dogs, anyone?).

I'd rather wait until I see actual gameplay before commenting on the visuals.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    As long as its running on fixed hardware, I see nothing wrong with in-engine. It's no different to a cutscene and there are games that can switch between cutscene and gameplay (i.e Ryse, The Order: 1886, Max Payne 3).

But if it's running on 10 GTX Titans, then yeah, in-engine becomes pointless. You might as well call it CGI at that point.
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    JordanN wrote: »
    As long as its running on fixed hardware, I see nothing wrong with in-engine. It's no different to a cutscene and there are games that can switch between cutscene and gameplay (i.e Ryse, The Order: 1886, Max Payne 3).

But if it's running on 10 GTX Titans, then yeah, in-engine becomes pointless. You might as well call it CGI at that point.

The trouble is, BF4 comes out a few years ago on xbox one and PS4, and it runs at a disgusting 720 on the one... It also looks dated.

Hardline comes out, and has no improvements at all, in fact it looks worse and runs worse, although that's likely the devs...

Then we see this, and... Its suddenly a CGI level masterpiece. People cry wolf right away, and then they drop in the bomb shell that its going to be 60fps.

Really. 60fps... On consoles... With those graphics?

The "nxt gen" consoles are seriously under powered. The cpu in the PS4 is crap, the GPU average. The GPU in the xbox one is average, a little worse off than the PS4, and the CPU is crap but a little better.

In short they want us to believe that this game will look lightyears (lol) better than BF4, and run at a higher resolution AND at a locked 60fps?

WHERE ARE THE RECEIPTS.GIF

Seriously, I doubt it very much. I love me some Battlefront, I really, really do, and will easily eat crow if I'm wrong. But I just can't see it happening. I also think the xbox one will once again run in a shitty resolution and actually think the PS4 version will as well. Its bad enough that MGS5 runs at 720p on xbox one and 1080p on PS4, that's just fucking insane, and I wouldn't even bother releasing the game, its no wonder Kojima has gone... Disgusting... its 2015 and we still have 720p games...
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    So long as it runs at a stable 60fps on PC, I'm happy. I can really not hack going back to 30fps these days, it is absolutely too jarring, both visually and in terms of input latency D:
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Lets not jump to any conclusions until we've seen gameplay footage... that would be a Wookie mistake.
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    that would be a Wookie mistake.

Well played.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Lets not jump to any conclusions until we've seen gameplay footage... that would be a Wookie mistake.

wouldn't want people to hate the game for... Alderaan reasons.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I have now heard something very disappointing... the AT-ATs are on rails :(
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I know a lot here are psyched with Battlefront, but I can't seem to get pumped for it knowing the title is being released under EA. Gonna have to wait for gameplay footage/reviews first!

Always a good idea to wait for reviews, but I think it's a blanket statement to be wary of a game specifically because it's released under the biggest publisher in the industry. Keep in mind that DICE is making it. Even if it turns out to be a battlefield clone, it'll still be fun. They know how to make a good multilayer fps.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim wrote: »
    Keep in mind that DICE is making it. Even if it turns out to be a battlefield clone, it'll still be fun. They know how to make a good multilayer fps.

I beg to differ. BF4 was a disaster, and DICE did a terrible job of fixing it. BF3 was handled pretty much the same, but at least started in a better state. To top it off, bugs (in both versions) were resolved, only to return in later pages, because of poor code management. Even worse, resolved bugs, from BF3, returned in BF4... and hardline :/

I don't want to turn this into a DICE bash session, because I'm trying to remain positive about Battlefront, but please don't put them on a pedestal that they no longer deserve. The EA fear stems from concerns that EA drove/pressured DICE into this state.
  • plastix
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I think it's a blanket statement to be wary of a game specifically because it's released under the biggest publisher in the industry..
    notman wrote: »
    BF4 was a disaster, and DICE did a terrible job of fixing it.

I won't go into the other titles published by EA that have been released with fairly poor quality/gameplay, just saying approaching with caution seems like a good idea.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Always a good idea to wait for reviews, but I think it's a blanket statement to be wary of a game specifically because it's released under the biggest publisher in the industry. Keep in mind that DICE is making it. Even if it turns out to be a battlefield clone, it'll still be fun. They know how to make a good multilayer fps.

No. It's made by EA. DICE is completely owned by EA.

A do they know how to make good multiplaye r? I beg to differ. BF4 was disaster on launch, and frankly not much of an upgrade to BF3..
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13

Ha really!? I would love to get back into my JK2/JKA modding roots :D

I can't wait for some gameplay vids on this beast, first time I've been psyched about a starwars game since forever.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    I have now heard something very disappointing... the AT-ATs are on rails :(

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

[EDIT]Not as disappointed after finding this comment : "The game creator states, "All I can reference right now is the showcased gameplay clip with AT-AT’s on Endor that are on-rails. – Once you try it out and see gameplay, you will understand why it’s important they’re on-rails. They’re the objective, and they need to be going in certain directions.""

Sounds like they're probably part of an attack/defence type objective, which might not be so bad if it's setup around the lines of the tank maps in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see that. I'm sure they had a concern about balance too, since the rebels don't have giant vehicles like that. I was disappointed, but still open to seeing how they implement it.
  • .nL
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah, I was pretty concerned about the comment, and then I went back to play a classic match of Hoth, and realized that even when playing like an idiot, and king-of-the-hilling a friend for control of the AT-AT, 99% of the time you're going in the same direction, and the only thing you really control is the head-mounted turret.

That said, I'd very much prefer it if they tried to avoid deterministic sequences of events in the average match. I'd rather have a static map than a "cinematic experience". But if different events could be triggered independently of one another, and they only affected the maps locally, I'd be down.

I'm not too concerned about balance, because I've always loved the asymmetric nature the Battlefront games had (Hoth, Kashyyk Docks). Granted, that was probably due in part to bad design, but I'd actually be pretty disappointed if there weren't at least a few maps where it was considered an achievement to win as one side or the other.

The last Battlefields I'd played were Bad Company 2, and 1943. After recently picking of Battlefield 3, I'm starting to feel everyone's skepticism. Of course, it doesn't help that I refuse to put Punkbuster on my PC and that I'm allergic to browser plug-ins.