Home General Discussion

Paintstorm studio - new painting package.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXUReniLyqw[/ame]

www.paintstormstudio.com

saw this on twitter today; it's windows only, costs $ 20, and has a free trial version.

Replies

• Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    looks interesting, i'll give it a try. I'm a sucker for a good customizable UI.
  • EricHall
    Offline / Send Message
    EricHall polycounter lvl 6
    just checked out the trial. Anyone else having issues with a dual monitor setup and an intuos? No matter how I set up my tablet settings, Paintstorm refuses to have my cursor and brush in the same spot.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    EricHall wrote: »
    just checked out the trial. Anyone else having issues with a dual monitor setup and an intuos? No matter how I set up my tablet settings, Paintstorm refuses to have my cursor and brush in the same spot.

yeah I just checked it out...it doesnt seem to like/ remember my 2nd/tablet monitor. Always reverts to monitor 1, and doesnt remember settings. It's a shame, because the tool look nice
  • myclay
    Online / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    interesting!
    it is able to load psds which have Photoshop pass-through groups and interprets them almost identical to its source - huge plus -
    the price seems convincing

now the on my rig bad cases;
    my gpu ram is unfortunately most of the cases way to limited for big psds in Paintstorm.

Photoshop pass-through groups as of now it seems, aren´t natively supported and when saving as psds, they are gone.
    another thing which is strange is, that loaded files appear darker than in other psd capable programs?

so yeah it is interesting, lets see how and where it develops too.
  • SpaceRogue
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    At first I thought this was going to be another Painter wannebe, but it actually impressed me greatly.

I'll give it a shot, I have a rather unknown screen tablet this should be interesting. If it works then man, that looks like a fun program for speedpaints !

edit; not working on ugee 1910b ,maybe lateron I guess.
  • breakneck
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    i'll have to check this out. Looks pretty good. And 20 bucks, thats a great deal.
  • ikken
    SpaceRogue wrote: »
    At first I thought this was going to be another Painter wannebe, but it actually impressed me greatly.

they have gathered pretty much all the best features of PS, painter, sai/clip paint studio, and other packages (I think only artrage currently wins with their advanced color mixing algorithms, but it's an odd software, idk)
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Really liking this so far.

Performance is good, and it's a good match of usability and painterly brush effects.

All around seems like a steal for $20.

I'm just missing my glorious RGB sliders(i paint with rgb sliders to compensate for colorblindness). There doesn't even seem to be a way to hard code colours, which is a fatal issue for me as a game artist.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I can't run it, it keeps crashing for me :/
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    I keep getting crashes as well, after it sits there for more than 20 min.

I'm guessing uncaught memory leaks.

I sent them an email, hopefully they will get back to me.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't even make it past the initial load. It hit the "try for 15 days" button and the windows comes up then crashes immediately.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Did you buy it already? @Muzz

I much prefer painting in tools that have a mixing aspect, traditional-like or not, but I have to say I've been having a bit of a trouble checking out this program when I don't have enough time to actually paint something. The "Trial Excecution timer" is a bit harsh, no? :/ I feel like locking me out of the program every 20 or so minutes is overkill.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, not going to buy it till they fix random crashing.

The trial timer is bizarre...

EDIT:

Anyone worked out how the hell the perspective stuff works?

EDIT2:

Enable guides
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Looks really interesting Unfortunately I wont be able to give it a try until I have something to present based on what I already have.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa.

So it's developed by one dude, who also painted all the demo images.

http://paintstorm-studio.deviantart.com/
  • mariomanzanares
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN6Fw_n7fw4[/ame]

This looks incredible, so sad it's windows only... I guess this and Ori and the Blind Forest are enough reasons to reinstall windows in a partition :)
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    So i just heard back from him. It hard crashes when you don't have it in the background and the trial ends...

Not sure it's a very good implementation of a trial. It just made me think the program had memory leaks.

EDIT:
    Ok i bought it, Just waiting on the license file to be emailed to me.

I'll report back when i have some experience with it.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    yeah I was pretty impressed with it, very responsive and the brushes/painting felt quite good.

Getting kicked after 20 min, not so good. I'd rather have it for one day with no kicking than 15 days with kicking.
  • keelhauler
    Offline / Send Message
    keelhauler polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good. Need to give this a try. That price is nothing if performance and stability is good.
  • mariomanzanares
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    I've been trying it after installing windows as a partition, and it's quite impressive in terms of possibilities and performance, meaning this that even using complex brushes that mix colors on the fly, I didn't get any lag. That said, it's still very buggy and the windows/menus are soooo unstable, specially if you use 2 monitors (or a cintiq).

In a nutshell, it feels incomplete and very "beta", but my overall feeling is great and I expect this to become an alternative if it's well managed. I'm very excited about it, but for me it doesn't worth to use windows just for this software. Not yet.

I'm a mac user and I have all my stuff there, so if this would came up for OSX I would not hesitate to make a few drawings with it and use it sporadically until it could compete directly with Photoshop.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, i haven't hit the instability in the menus that Mario has, it actually feels very solid, just with some of the attention to detail functionality missing. Which to be fair is a super high ask, when you consider just how much attention to detail functionality photoshop does have.

Things like being able to drag down layer visibility with one click and drag, or alt clicking on a layer visibility to isolate that layer. Or using the arrow keys to change layer styles. I can't even begin to imaging how tedious that functionality would be to implement.

Except i'm a windows user so it doesn't need to be a Photoshop replacement for me. Right now it sits at Paint Tool Sai killer for me which i bought ages back for $70. So this is a steal.

His responses in emails were a bit weird. I get the feeling he isn't really used to dealing with customers. Anyhow, i sent him a link to this thread, so i hope he drops by.

EDIT:

I'm going to start compiling a little bug list as i go.

• Changing scheme colours, if you have a colour that is an extreme, with any values at 255 or 0 it freaks out.
    • Changing workspaces doesn't work 100% of the time, It might not do anything then next attempt it will.
    • You need to select a new colour when changing colour schemes or nothing happens.

Also just little annoyances:
    • Why is the outline colour linked to the font colour in the UI? Also, naming each section in that panel would be better as i have no clue what each colour is assigned to outside of trial and error.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    IT seems part of the issue with my crashing might be that it's not creating a folder in "my documents"?

I emailed him and he gave me steps to get a log file, but the directory it stated the log file is didn't exist :O. no response yet.
  • DireWolf
    Can you create that folder manually? Try right click and launch the app as admin?
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm loving these textures.

c13Ki9u.png
    eZ6yJwd.png?1
  • panic
    Offline / Send Message
    panic polycounter lvl 12
    would you say you can paint textures with this yet?
  • ikken
    @ Muzz

great sketches

I hope a mac version will be in the works, rip bloated phototracing mess of the current corel painter
    corel did a good job of ruining it over many versions since purchasing it from american developer, but I'm so happy this thing came in.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally.

This feels like a stripped back version of painter with a more logical brush engine.
  • Paintstormstudio
    Ok guys, I'am the Paintstorm studio support.
    Thank you all for your notices advices.

1)Crushes: we already fixed most of crush prblems.Just download new version (current is 1.26 - this version is already have new update checking)

2)Mac version - We have already started work on this

3)answers a little strange - English is not my native language :) And I am jsut artist - not the sales manager :)

4)trial crush changed just to annoying message. why is it necessary? because the Trial reset for hackers easier then crack that thing.
  • ikken
    1)Crushes
    ** crashes. crush is something different.
    2)Mac version - We have already started work on this

!!!!!!!! excellent, and thanks a lot for taking your time to reply here. I can not wait to get my hands on this.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for dropping by!

I'm downloading the new version now.
  • NaoYu
    EricHall wrote: »

I also have this issue even with new 1.26 version. It can be fixed by deleting tablet preferences thought Wacom Tablet Preference File Utility. Unfortunately this works only until next windows reboot.
  • Michael Knubben
    For me everything's fixed with the new 1.26 version, and I'm having a lot of fun with this. The default presets are a joy to work with, and I look forward to playing around with the brush engine myself!
  • skankerzero
    This looks great!

I'm having my artists use this today to tell me how they like it. If they enjoy it I'll be buying a couple copies.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I wish 3d coat had a brush system like this.
  • skankerzero
    Do you have a beta group to test new features or make suggestions?
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Muzz wrote: »

Except i'm a windows user so it doesn't need to be a Photoshop replacement for me. Right now it sits at Paint Tool Sai killer for me which i bought ages back for $70. So this is a steal.

Oh finally a SAI user! I love Sai but the lacks of any updates make me wanna change for paintstorm, It feel like the brush react similar to SAI, what's your opinion in term of comparison between those 2 softwares.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow wrote: »
    Oh finally a SAI user! I love Sai but the lacks of any updates make me wanna change for paintstorm, It feel like the brush react similar to SAI, what's your opinion in term of comparison between those 2 softwares.

You've never used clip studio? A lot of people I know switched from sai to that.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Clip Studio is much more comparable with SAI's brush engine, honestly. It almost feels like a direct upgrade.

This program has a great feeling brush engine, just I wouldn't say it was SAI-like.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished installing the new version and wow this is glorious for painting,

All it needs is a symmetry brush and i'd be confident i could use this for a lot of work i do.

Most of the time when using the paint brushes in other programs i always feel the blending is "off" but this feels perfect.

I'll definitely be making a purchase this week.
    BagelHero wrote: »
    Clip Studio is much more comparable with SAI's brush engine, honestly. It almost feels like a direct upgrade.

This program has a great feeling brush engine, just I wouldn't say it was SAI-like.

Yeah i've never used sai but i've heard that a lot from my friends who switched. For me it was the only dedicated painting program that felt comparable to photoshop in function for me. I mainly use it cause the perspective and symmetry rulers are fantastic for fast concepting.
  • Michael Knubben
    I love Clip Studio, but it's unbearably slow on my machine so I'm forced to look elsewhere. Especially for linework, there's just nothing quite like it!
  • skankerzero
    Clip Studio is the same people that made Sai. That's why Sai is no longer updated.

Clip Studio = Manga Studio 5.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Is it? I didn't know CELSYS owned SYSTEMAX...
    Almost certain they don't, since they seperate Systemax and Celsys products entirely (The last mention I can find is when the collaborated in 2012 to create CATCON), but when Celsys got, for example, Metasequoia, it was added to their website. I would assume they would have added SAI, too?

Unless you just mean the actual developers of SAI. In which case, I'd be interested in a source, actually. That wouldn't surprise me, but I can't find any info on it.

(Sorry for the tangent)
  • Chromogen
    Looking forward to a Mac release.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Clip Studio = Manga Studio 5.

Clip Studio > Manga Studio 5

Because you can darken the interface in the clip studio version which is for some reason removed in the MS5 version.
  • skankerzero
    BagelHero wrote: »
    Is it? I didn't know CELSYS owned SYSTEMAX...
    Almost certain they don't, since they seperate Systemax and Celsys products entirely (The last mention I can find is when the collaborated in 2012 to create CATCON), but when Celsys got, for example, Metasequoia, it was added to their website. I would assume they would have added SAI, too?

Unless you just mean the actual developers of SAI. In which case, I'd be interested in a source, actually. That wouldn't surprise me, but I can't find any info on it.

(Sorry for the tangent)

It was several years ago. I was talking with some very popular (hentai) illustrators about tools and one of them went into the history about the devs leaving Sai to make Clip Studio.

Clip Studio is Manga Studio 5 here in the US. The Manga Studio team imports the software and rebrands it. Version 4 was a different software (I forget the name) and 5 is Clip Studio. Although Manga Studio (Smith Micro) might own Clip Studio now since Clip Studio is the downloadable version of Manga Studio 5.
  • ikken
    clip studio is no longer distributed by manga studio local distributer (smith micro), it's done digitally through the japanese website.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow wrote: »

Sorry didn't mean to say it was like sai in functionality, just that it's filling the niche sai had in my workflow.
  • alonzo
    Offline / Send Message
    alonzo polycounter lvl 11
    Could somebody point out where the imprint (or legal information) from the developer is?
  • Paintstormstudio
    alonzo wrote: »
    Could somebody point out where the imprint (or legal information) from the developer is?

Developer is Russian
  • skankerzero
    ikken wrote: »
    clip studio is no longer distributed by manga studio local distributer (smith micro), it's done digitally through the japanese website.

Did they just change that? I bought like 7 copies of clip studio in the past couple months.