Home General Discussion

Paintstorm studio - new painting package.

Replies

• DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    So far I'm loving paintstorm. For a pretty new tool it has a lot of great features and a lot of potential. Loving the Knife-texture brushes as well.
    Odow wrote: »
    Oh finally a SAI user! I love Sai but the lacks of any updates make me wanna change for paintstorm, It feel like the brush react similar to SAI, what's your opinion in term of comparison between those 2 softwares.
    I liked Sai for a bit but the lack of updates and the way the software was designed makes it feel so "legacy" to me but I absolutely love the binary brushes. I hope Paintstorm gets some binary-like brushes at some point. For a little while I even reverse engineered Sai to give it additional features.

Coming from photoshop, I really hope to switch to paintstorm. I wish there was a forum or something to give feedback on.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I was under the impression that Clip Paint/Manga Studio 5 was by the same people that did SAI? Is this not true? It has a ton of similarities of UI and the way it feels. That being said.. I actually still prefer SAI to MS5 because of the shotcuts and how lightweight it feels feature wise vs MS5.

I gave paintstorm a try... really, REALLY liking how the brush engine feels. I just need to figure out the shortkeys here. Also, I'm getting a bug where my paintbrush will just randomly paint black.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    bounchfx wrote: »
    Also, I'm getting a bug where my paintbrush will just randomly paint black.
    I'm getting this a lot too actually.
  • Count Vertsalot
    Not crazy about the license being tied to my hardware. That's just a future headache when I upgrade my PC. Would have been nice to know that detail before I paid for it.
  • Count Vertsalot
    NaoYu wrote: »
    I also have this issue even with new 1.26 version. It can be fixed by deleting tablet preferences thought Wacom Tablet Preference File Utility. Unfortunately this works only until next windows reboot.

Yeah, this needs to be fixed. I use paint software to sketch quick ideas while I work. Deleting the Wacom preferences destroys my hotkeys.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Not crazy about the license being tied to my hardware. That's just a future headache when I upgrade my PC. Would have been nice to know that detail before I paid for it.

For real ?

This just turn me off from buying it.
  • Count Vertsalot
    I should be clear. I don't know if I have to buy it again to activate it on other hardware, but I don't like having to contact someone to reactivate something.

Right now the demo gives you a unique hardware ID at startup, you have to email that ID to the guy after you purchase it and then he emails you a key to use. I'm guessing the ID is tied to the key so if I build a new PC I have to contact him all over again.
  • alonzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alonzo polycounter lvl 11
    To what device is the hardware-key bound?

The application itself was fun to use, but with something like above I'll stick with the apps I already have.
  • Paintstormstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can update your PC 2 times in the years, just send email, if you will got new Hardware ID after upgrade.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    I was turned off by the hardware id lock as well when I purchased. Hopefully they can revamp their ID system to be something exact as Marmoset Toolbags way of doing system lock and let the user deactivate and reactivate their copies via email notification.

I would love to fiddle with it for lunch time at work and show my co-workers but I won't bother with the superstitious shenanigans of paranoia software developers who worry ever so about the lurking pirate x-force cracker. Which I can assure, X-Force and those of the like, don't prefer cracking software generously priced as low as Paintstorm provides.
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    I`ve picked it up too, looking forward to using this for coloring work due to the nice blending and brushes. Nice work there!

I`ve been using SAI a lot too and I`m surprised everyone complains about no updates/the software being abandoned. Has no one heard that they are working on SAI 2? There`s a preview build available too i think.
  • alonzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris wrote: »
    I`ve been using SAI a lot too and I`m surprised everyone complains about no updates/the software being abandoned. Has no one heard that they are working on SAI 2? There`s a preview build available too i think.

Yeah there is -> here: https://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/devdept.html

But Paintstorm Studio has a lot more to offer, even though it's a little bit slow on my machine sometimes.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Wow i didn't know about SAI 2 *_*

Edit: The ruler thing is nice, but seem to miss a lot of feature from the old sai. Also apparently it's been the same beta since 2013..
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Matt Fagan wrote: »
    Which I can assure, X-Force and those of the like, don't prefer cracking software generously priced as low as Paintstorm provides.

^I can agree with this.

Besides what about people with multiple devices or computers? What if you experience multiple device failures like a graphics card?

2 times a year is a bit low.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Just try it, the brush are really nice, but it lags way too much :/ and i have a great computer. the only thing open was youtube. I usually paint with netflix + skype, + steam + tones of internet window open + maya. So i can't see that working for me ATM
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just try it, the brush are really nice, but it lags way too much :/ and i have a great computer. the only thing open was youtube. I usually paint with netflix + skype, + steam + tones of internet window open + maya. So i can't see that working for me ATM

Paint storm or sai 2?

You should really try clip studio, that even performs well on my vivotab note (1.2ghz 4X intel atom). If it wasn't for the ram (2gb) i could do complete work with it.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Just grabbed a copy loving it so far ;)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it should just use a key for protection, this is a bit much. And honestly, there's no guarantee you'll get an email back when you're trying to activate this on your next pc in a few years.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Well maybe if enough people are ask nicely the dev will reconsider :P?

Please Mr Dev?

Or if not could you at least explain your reasons for it?
  • Paintstormstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sai seems faster becouse there is no hairy brushes. but if you try to use a large hairy brush in Corel painter - you will see that Paintstorm is much faster. And the main thing - SAI does not have ability to pickup underlayer colors.

Issue with several monitors is already solved. What about using one license on many PC's - where is the guarantee that you will not will distribute them to your friends? Such requirements seem strange. But you can buy 2 licenses with discount 50%.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Software meant for professional artists needs to allow for at least 2 installs ... 1 at work, and 1 at home. Anything less is, IMO, unacceptable.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    iadagraca wrote: »
    Paint storm or sai 2?

You should really try clip studio, that even performs well on my vivotab note (1.2ghz 4X intel atom). If it wasn't for the ram (2gb) i could do complete work with it.

Paintstorm lags a lot and i have a really good pc and good memory, never lag on sai.
  • endeffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    endeffect polycounter lvl 8
    The last time i bought a 1-key software (it was a 3ds max plugin), i made an arguement with developer and got my second key for free. After that he understood the situation and made second key free for everyone. It's really a "must" as WarrenM says.

I know it's really bad to hear this but whenever Paintstorm got popular, you will see it on hundreds of pirate websites. Just give them a reason to buy it.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paintstorm lags a lot and i have a really good pc and good memory, never lag on sai.

Integrated graphics card?
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I have an Hd radeon 7970
  • drawntothenorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drawntothenorth triangle
    Photoshop needs to add this perspective drawing/painting function to the software I, I've seen a plug in which does something similiar but it only runs on windows as well
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I still think nothing is better that almost 15 years old Creative House Expression.

And its so called "skeletal' brush strokes.

Too bad Microsoft killed the soft and even made Windows version no more available, Their "Design' attempt is just a castrated original version.
  • AtticusMars
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad but the computer ID lock and UI make me rage, also i just bought Clip Studio which i really prefer so far even over openCanvas. Ohh and btw the SAI 2 beta looks neat also creator accepts feature requests.
  • myclay
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    hm it seems Paintstorm has problems with newer drivers 347.88 and GPUs 900 series?
    on the gtx 570 it worked without any problems.
  • alonzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As soon as the app gets a normal Key-Activation I'll buy a copy as well.

If you would like to protect it more, maybe you should consider a dongle like PMG's messiah studio. Where the user binds the license file to a specific USB Stick.
  • Paintstormstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now if you buy one license you have 50% discount to second one. 2 licenses - 29 $
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Would have bought them if it wasn't for those lags :<
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you would like to protect it more, maybe you should consider a dongle like PMG's messiah studio. Where the user binds the license file to a specific USB Stick.
    Oh god, please no. This isn't the 90s anymore.
  • alonzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Oh god, please no. This isn't the 90s anymore.

Why not? It's not that bad.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    it is horrible and would stop nobody, if there is demand cracks will come faster, all it will do is make the experience for the legit buyers less enjoyable.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    Well in my experience, the more you fear of something, the more of that something will come.

So to the Paintstorm guys. Evading the idea that you can prevent people from cracking your software is "inevitable". I'd say, make it reachable to as many people as possible and you will see your invested time come back in return with heighten amounts of gratitude and reputable reviews from your customers.

Because the underlying notion that you'd worry about people pirating your software is only due to the fear of not obtaining money for your work. Don't work for your money, make the money work for your work.

Prevention of cracking is only asking to be cracked. Its not rocket science...
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They should make it free and microtransaction different brushes and colors.

Perhaps pay for additional dpi or pixels to add to your canvases.
  • Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kridian polycounter lvl 14
    They should make it free and microtransaction different brushes and colors.

Perhaps pay for additional dpi or pixels to add to your canvases.

Hah! Brilliant! :poly142:
  • Count Vertsalot
    What about using one license on many PC's - where is the guarantee that you will not will distribute them to your friends? Such requirements seem strange. But you can buy 2 licenses with discount 50%.

You're being too paranoid and it's turning a lot of people away. You have something special here and I'd hate to see it die off so quickly. If you want to insure that people pay for the software then you need to come up with a different method than hardware IDs and limiting installs. These days artists use multiple computers at random locations all the time.

What about a login system? Have people create an account when they purchase and use that account to log into the software when you open it. If you do not login in have the program switch to a bare bones limited version. This would allow installs on multiple machines and people will pay you to get full access to all of the features.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    Of all the licensed software I own, Toolbag 2 handles multiple computers the best IMO. You log in from one location that isn't licensed, it sends you an email with a one click link that transfers your license to that computer. There's no limits, I can go back and forth between work and home or between my mobile unit and home whenever I want. I'd also say substances new rent-to-own system is pretty awesome as well.

There's a lot of good examples of how to approach this problem, I would do some research and find a better approach than you have now, like Count Versalot said, the current licensing method is turning away buyers, and that's a real shame since I think the software is quite awesome and would love to see it succeed.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Venain: That's still not great. Software like Modo or 3DCoat just checks if you have two licenses running concurrently, without the need to activate/deactive or click anything. I think Substance Designer/Painter do the same, but I'm not sure (I use the Steam version).

Still though, I'm in favour of just a key, no checks. As was said, whatever you do it'll be cracked anyway, so don't annoy your actual customers with security measures.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    The Toolbag2 system doesn't bug you if you already have the license activated (completely silent if your license is attached to the comp), it's just super handy if you have to switch between different computers a lot. It don't find it annoying at all, since the only reason you see it is if it's the first time you're using it on computer A in a while after having to use computer B. No worries about whether or not you have to deactivate the license when you're moving around, no having to manually email anyone to request deactivations or reactivations.

But having said that, I'm not sure that system is appropriate for a painting software. I generally don't need my painting software to be that portable-- I only really do big paintings at two places ever, Work/Home. So two licenses that can be deactivated and reactivated in the event that a comp dies or I leave work seems like a better deal.

With Toolbag, I tend to take it everywhere and use it to check a lot of things on the go or on less than ideal setups (I think the most I've had to transfer licenses in a day was upwards of 4 times, all different machines), which would have been hell if the license didn't let me use more than just the two machines. I simply don't do this with the paintings I'd be doing with Paintstorm.

Still, I agree that the less hassle to the customer, the better. You're more likely to get people pirating out of spite by causing inconveniences than you are to get more paying customers, no matter how low the price.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Has the dev been receptive to anything besides bug fixes?

It kind of takes the wind out of you when you get excited about a piece of software, but then the dev just argues when you try and have a discussion.

We are paying customers, and i would dare say that a very large proportion of his sales so far is coming from this side of town.. :/,
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Is it just me, or does the logo look kinda like Ubisoft's, but mirrored and turned red?

I don't know how aggressive companies get with suits over that kind of stuff, though :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    While I do agree that hardware-locked licenses are awfully annoying, I honestly don't think that the argument of being able to install it "at work and at home" has any weight and just makes the conversation we are having here more confusing that it needs to be. After all, a studio is not supposed to allow you to use personal-licensed software for work-related tasks, and would get in trouble for doing so. Unless we are talking about lunch doodles here, but I that's a bit of a special case.

Anyways - very curious about the app, but when I tried it at the time of the OP it didn't seem to work on my setup (multiple monitors, Cintiq as main). I am not too surprised by that though, as most new 2D apps tend to have trouble with this kind of setup at first, but it usually get fixed after a few updates. Time will tell !
  • Count Vertsalot

Issue with several monitors is already solved.

When I got to check for updates in Paintstorm it says it's up to date and I still have the dual monitor problem. Is there a new update? How do I get it? Do I have to email you?
  • wilson66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 polycounter lvl 8
    my single posting appearing 3 times was unintentional obviously. Sorry for that.
  • wilson66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    triple posting...
  • wilson66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was going to be an instant buy for me after seeing the news on cgchannel.com and watching the videos.

Decided to give the trial a go, very good first impression.

Until the 'your trial time frame has expired'-message popped up, forcing me to quit the program and start again.

If you give a 15 day trial, it should work for that period of time without further restrictions. Makes no sense to me, is just annoying, and scares away potential customers.

Second: the hardware lock. A no-go for me. Of course you need to protect your software, but please do so without annoying customers.

Make the software check online periodically for simultaneous use of the same license, give a warning first, then block the license after continued abuse.

I did not buy the software.

Just my 2 cents.