Home General Discussion

Paintstorm studio - new painting package.

Replies

• Paintstormstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I got to check for updates in Paintstorm it says it's up to date and I still have the dual monitor problem. Is there a new update? How do I get it? Do I have to email you?

Yes 2\3\4\etc monitors issue is solved :) Here's the link to download last version www.paintstormstudio.com/download.html
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I honestly don't think that the argument of being able to install it "at work and at home" has any weight
    It's the only way a professional artist can reasonably use a piece of software. I'm not activating/deactivating software every time I change computers. Life is too short.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah Warren, I understand that if you have a personal license and want to use it on two computers, a system should be in place to allow that. Cross-OS even, and agnostic to reformats and hardware changes.

But my problem with the whole "at work and at home" thing is that it suggests that one should be able to use, say, a single Modo license for personal work at home but also professional work at the studio (and vice versa) but that is obviously illegal and not something that any studio would actually allow. Now I wouldn't be too surprised to hear that some people actually do that, but that can only last for as long as the producer and IT guys in charge don't know about it.

So just to make sure that we are talking about the same thing : I agree that it is best for a program like Paintstorm to be usable at home for personal work, on a laptop for caf
  • wilson66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 polycounter lvl 8
    pior wrote: »
    But my problem with the whole "at work and at home" thing is that it suggests that one should be able to use, say, one Modo license for personal work at home and professional work at the studio (and vice versa) ... but that is obviously illegal and not something that any studio would allow.

Of course you can, if its a commercial license. Where does it say that this isn't allowed, let alone 'illegal'? You can use e.g. Modo wherever you want, as long as you own the license and nobody else uses it simultaneously (which isn't possible anyway if you don't cut your internet connection).

Should be possible for Paintstorm Studio also.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But ... is it actually the case though ? Based on personal experience, at the 3 different studios I worked at it (all 3 in different countries) it was clearly not allowed, and every time I saw someone attempt it it was shut down by both the IT and Purchasing departments, which would then go on and purchase one or multiple licenses for the studio if the software is relevant and its use is justified. As a matter of fact, I would think that it is in the interest of the studio to purchase such licenses in the first place, in order to meet their yearly budget and possibly for tax reasons too.

That being said, I would be very curious to hear more on the topic. Are you guys saying that the places you worked at allowed and encouraged you to use studio-purchased software at home (for leisure and/or contract work), and personal-purchased software at the studio ? Or are you talking about on-site freelancing maybe ?

Note that I am not playing devil's advocate here, nor am I trolling - I am genuinely curious about it.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyways, back to the topic at hand :

+ The multimonitor issue seems to be fixed on my setup (3 monitors, with Cintiq as main). Very cool.
    + Brushes feel great of course
    + I love the "ignore tab" feature of the individual palettes. Very smart.
    + Being able to assign hotkeys per brush is one of the best things, ever.
    + I love the brush sizing system (smooth when held, stepped when tapped). Excellent.

- I am confused by the UI color options, as they don't seem to do anything.
    - I wish there was a way to disable palette edge snapping, by holding ctrl or alt or shift for instance.
    - Need an option to completely turn off the cursor for Cintiq users.
    - The top menu bar (File - Edit - Image) behaves oddly and requires too much clicking. It should behave like any other Windows application, with the dropdown menus expanding naturally when hovering over them once one of them has been expanded.
    - For some reason the Brushes and Layers palettes keep scaling up and down on mouseover when using the second workspace, this is irritating.
    - The file>open dialog should either show all readable formats (rather than just PSD or JPG or BMP, and so on) or at least, revert to the last used format.
    - The Q button for quick shortcut assignment should trigger a popup explaining what it does.
    - How do I reset a brush to its default settings ?
    - There is no clear indication of the limitations of the trial. Is it full-featured ? And how long does it last ?

Very promising stuff so far. The only thing preventing me from getting it is the license system.
  • Paintstormstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyways, back to the topic at hand :

- I am confused by the UI color options, as they don't seem to do anything.
    Just select color at Color wheel and click on the ui color (all colors must be different, or nothing happens) Maybe we must fix it...
    - I wish there was a way to disable palette edge snapping, by holding ctrl or alt or shift for instance.
    - Need an option to completely turn off the cursor for Cintiq users.
    - The top menu bar (File - Edit - Image) behaves oddly and requires too much clicking. It should behave like any other Windows application, with the dropdown menus expanding naturally when hovering over them once one of them has been expanded.
    - For some reason the Brushes and Layers palettes keep scaling up and down on mouseover when using the second workspace, this is irritating.
    - The file>open dialog should either show all readable formats (rather than just PSD or JPG or BMP, and so on) or at least, revert to the last used format.
    - The Q button for quick shortcut assignment should trigger a popup explaining what it does.
    Very good suggestions! part of this will be fixed in the next version, another part little later.
    - How do I reset a brush to its default settings ?
    http://paintstormstudio.com/help.html#PANELSYAK - panel settings image
    - There is no clear indication of the limitations of the trial. Is it full-featured ? And how long does it last ?
    Trial keep working only 15 days... all feautures are included.
  • Paintstormstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dear customers... discussion about the license: I want to remind you that Photoshop price 19$ per month, Corel Painter price is 400$... Cheaper program like SAI never gives several licenses or something same...be objective. We already give 50% discount to second license.
  • alonzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alonzo polycounter lvl 11
    The features your application offers are awesome, but it is also not very stable at the moment. On the start I get a white screen and it freezes.

Btw Photoshop is 10USD per month ;) but it's not primarily for painting.
  • speedybrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    '- The Q button for quick shortcut assignment should trigger a popup explaining what it does.'

Hm, where is this Q button? It sounds like it allows you to set additional hotkeys, which is exactly what I want to do - for example set a hotkey to lock pixels in a layer. I must be blind because I can't seem to see it...
  • Carlosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlosan polycounter lvl 10
    The software brush feel rocks.

but hardware-locked licenses... sorry i dont like it.
    I prefer 3DC license system or substance painter personal key.
    If the lic system change, i buy it for sure.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Dear customers... discussion about the license: I want to remind you that Photoshop price 19$ per month, Corel Painter price is 400$... Cheaper program like SAI never gives several licenses or something same...be objective. We already give 50% discount to second license.

you're comparing major software.

mischief, clip studio, krita, and others in a similar price range don't have this. Nor do the plugins you buy for the major programs like lazy nezumi. I've purchased several of these and my purchasing experience with yours was the oddest and possibly most problematic long term considering how often i mess with my computer.

it's just not common. I think people would be willing to pay more to not have that restriction simply cause the program is great. There's many more common options to try that are less worrying.

no one here is fretting about money, they just don't want to get attached to software that might be hard to access at somepoint for common reasons. This is primarily a functional concern.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    "Cheaper program like SAI never gives several licenses or something same...be objective"

Sai lets me jump online and change it whenever i want, and there doesn't seem to be a limit on how many times i change it.

the Paintstorm email system is god awful. A friends mother was asking me about how to get the license when she bought it for her son. (don't ask why she was, i have no idea).

I had to walk her through emailing it to you because it is so unprofessional.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Is there a tool to allow us to paint tillable ?
  • speedybrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got 2 licenses, liking the software for the most part. What I'd like to see off the top of my head:
    - ability to set hot keys on more UI elements (like locking pixels, moving between layers, setting clipping masks)
    - ability to mirror brush strokes on X or Y axis
    - number keys for opacity like photoshop
    - better selection tools (polygonal lasso would be nice)
  • prototyp3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    prototyp3 polycounter lvl 17
    That being said, I would be very curious to hear more on the topic. Are you guys saying that the places you worked at allowed and encouraged you to use studio-purchased software at home (for leisure and/or contract work), and personal-purchased software at the studio ? Or are you talking about on-site freelancing maybe ?

I've experienced the same as you. Studios don't like any cross over of software between home and work - whether it's you bringing your license in, or using a work license at home. It's a liability that they're better off avoiding.

---

I'm watching this licensing feedback with great interest and taking notes. I remember when people hated the idea of online checks, now it seems to be preferred. (at least if it allows migrating the license from machine to machine) Is a hardware locked piece of software at this low of a price really that scary, or is the slow/confusing correspondence and delivery of the license what's really irking people? I understand the concerns of upgrading your system 2 years later only to find the company has disappeared. But wouldn't that also be an issue with a license trying to phone home? If the company disappears, so would the validation servers, no?

Every time I've had an issue with locked licenses after upgrading it was resolved in less than 24 hours, regardless of the company. It was a simple and easy process. And let's be real, if you're expecting to rely on this software for work, I'd buy the second license for $10 as a backup. Can't really argue with the economics of that.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    ...slow/confusing correspondence and delivery of the license..
    I really think this is the main cause of alarm. It definitely is what made me uncomfortable. Personally, when I said work/home I really just meant the implied more than one common machine and definitely didn't mean the ability to use the license for studio work. That's petty at best.

I also think the software having a low price is no excuse for a confusing/inconvenient licensing system. I purchased Clip Studio for $15 and the system on that is very robust (granted, sale price and a big company), and I think the other comparisons of always-cheap stuff like Lazy Nezumi and Mischief are quite apt. They're incredibly convenient, regardless of having their own forms of protection. I bought a lot of these because they made it easy for me, and I knew I'd have them running with no other concerns in a few minutes once I purchased them.

It may be a concern that is fairly unlikely to evolve into a huge, actual problem, but why would you put up just one more inconvenience to stop potential customers, when it doesn't serve to draw in any other ones, or help existing ones?
  • alonzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alonzo polycounter lvl 11
    Just found this one:
    You may now want to ask me: Why is Paintstorm the software to pay for? There are many of free of charge programms from reputable companies. Why should you need to buy this software from an unknown developer?
    Indeed, at first I wanted to do Paintstorm free of charge, when decided to create a small utility for personal use, that collects all of my favorite features from all the programs I have been used to and combines them into one, but at some point the project has grown into something bigger and more important, and I began to realize that Paintstorm is really good and convenient.

Source: Deviantart.com

First you wanted it to be free! The price is understandable (even more would be fair), cause every developer should get a reward for good software, but why the Hardware Lock?
  • Paintstormstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    the Paintstorm email system is god awful. A friends mother was asking me about how to get the license when she bought it for her son. (don't ask why she was, i have no idea).

I had to walk her through emailing it to you because it is so unprofessional.

Paintstorm studio already have automatic license generation engine. www.paintstormstudio.com/license.html
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! :)

I didn't know it was updated as you don't tend to have to do it multiple times.
  • Carlosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi
    Using the automatic license generator: Is the user allowed to change license more than twice in a year ?
    Or the police had changed recently ?
    ty in advance

*i found your license system very similar to the old Marmoset Toolbag. The new MT license system is more friendly.
    If you like, it can be read at page3 in this pdf
    http://www.marmoset.co/tb2-licensing.pdf
  • Carlosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paintstorm Studio, on 03 Apr 2015 - 6:29 PM, said:version 1.27 is avalible

changelog:
    VERSION 1.27 (03.04.2015)
    1) Fast brush resize tool (drag and resize) (Default hotkey "Ctrl+Alt")
    2) “Show brush cursor” Option added (Menu->Options) (You can hide arrow-cursor if you want)
    3) New buttons at Navigator panel: "reset angle"(default hotkey "Shift+Home") and "reset canvas scale to 100%"(Default hotkey "End")
    4) Pixelate on zoomin (Added slider at Menu->options. If you don't want pixelate effect on zoomin, set it to zero)
    5) Binding to 1.00 (100% canvas scale) at Navigator scale slider.
    6) Crash on mixer draw - fixed
    7) Added the "center point" sign when you rotate the canvas
    8) More precise brush cursor
    9) Added the ability to assign mouse rightClick as hotkey
    10) Incorrect blending of flat non-bristle brushes - fixed
    11) Issue of Wacom offset for non standrat of two monitors layout - fixed
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    11) Issue of Wacom offset for non standrat of two monitors layout - fixed

Woo!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Wow, quick fixes! Some softs haven't fixed their issues with two monitors after years, lol.
  • knacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    knacki polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice program with a bunch of very useful features!
    Painting itself is a blast. Blending options are wonderful.
    But unfortunately not reliable on my system.

Win 7 Ultimate 64Bit
    i7 3930k
    Titan GTX driver 344.65
    64 Gig Ram
    Asus P9X79 DELUXE

3 Monitor setup
    2x 1920x1200 1x Cintiq 21UX

Crashes randomly about every 30 Min. Last time while changing UI colours. :(

Something wrong with your refresh. I always get this when moving window. That's a bit scary.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    haha the people who paid for this must feel scammed..

You guys just put on money on a Beta...
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond you are really close to ending up on my ignore list.

I can only stand so much idiocy.

This is a small dev releasing software for a very reasonable price. Even if it was called a beta i doubt anyone would regret the purchase.

Knacki, i'd bet that that its hard crashing itself at the end of the trial, because the program is running in the background.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Blonde, what? It takes guts to release a software on your own. moreover, the $20 isn't like paying $20 a month, or $360, or $600, and they're not charging for the fully fixed 1.0 update. The patches are free, and at the moment it's lifetime updates. That's not "being tricked into paying for a beta"... Just... What?
  • knacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Muzz
    it's pretty strange. It's stays there even when I shut down PSS.
    Maybe it needs aero? I switched that off recently. Worth to try.

@blond
    No regrets. I am fine with that.

I paid same or more for LN line smoothing, and it's worth every cent.
    If my 18, bla bla bla Euros are taken to get this wonderful soft into next level, I am more than fine with that.
    Just calculate:
    It's one time cinema (one person) with popcorn.
    3x ice in a Italian restaurant.
    12 litres of gas or 25 apples in the supermarket.
    60 cigarettes.

It's not too much if one really thinks about the amount of work behind it.
    Wikipedia gets 50 Euros a year from me , because me & my family use it every day.
    Guess if it would not be there any more just because freaks are sitting on their money.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond wrote: »

$20 is cheeseburger money. If you can't afford it, go collect some pop cans.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Why would I feel scammed? So far its done everything I've wanted it to, and hasn't crashed or bugged out once...
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn, $20 cheeseburgers...
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I want to taste a $20 cheeseburger ... I bet it's amazing.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bourbon Steak, $22
    Available at lunch and on the bar menu, the house-ground Bourbon Steak burger is a thing of beauty. It's topped with Nicasio Valley Reserve cheese and melty caramelized onions, with pickles on the side, but it's the beef here that's the star; it's meatier in flavor and texture than your average patty, and juicy as all get out. It is worth the price to try at least once, but you're likely to be going back for it if you do. And with good reason: The patty comprises a mix of trim from the very high end cuts the steakhouse serves, generally a 50/50 mix of wagyu rib cap and flat iron from Snake River Farms in Idaho, but sometimes including hangar and dry-aged sirloin from Schmitz Ranch and Brandt Farms.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    You're right Blond, I feel so scammed, I think I'm going to spend the night crying in my bed.
    Bazinga-Sheldon-Doesnt-Care-Gif.gif

Also for 1,600$ you can eat that not-so wonderful burger.

To came back to the subject, could the lag i had was due to the second screen issue ? ( I was on my cintiq when i try it and it was before they said they fix the issue)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

you work with maya, right?
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's interesting, the performance is great when i just am drawing normally. But if i try to stream while painting with paintstorm. It is a crawl.
  • Paintstormstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's interesting, the performance is great when i just am drawing normally. But if i try to stream while painting with paintstorm. It is a crawl.

What stream do you mean? I try FRAPS - it's worked normal.

----
    Dear friends, thank you for understanding, our project has just started and unfortunately there are still bugs.

We planed to add next feautures in the Paintstorm in the near future:
    1)Localization, and fix of some issues with non latin letters.
    2)Mac OS version
    3)Mirror
    4)Polygonal lasso tool, circle selection
    5)2 and 3 point perspective guides
    6)Some new stabilizer options like at "lazynezumi" or "sketchbook pro"
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahahaha
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What stream do you mean? I try FRAPS - it's worked normal.

Google hangouts. I get more of a speed boost by making the window smaller than to change my brush size.
    5)2 and 3 point perspective guides
    Yes!

Also... maybe 2-3 point curvilinear? As annoying as it would be to code that would be amazing.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @paintstorm
    you should have already seriously reconsidered your approach to reaching out to the new audiences - focus on English speaking markets for now, and ignore Asian package competition. there's a huge potential in cooperating with art institutions, and illustration programs will fight for a package of this grade.
    Dear friends, thank you for understanding, our project has just started and unfortunately there are still bugs.
    dear project, consider hiring a qualified PR/PM/consulting staff from outside of Russia.
    your biggest competition is not in Asia/Europe.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Neox wrote: »

Haha Good one.

Hey guys, take it easy there.

It's just funny to see people buying a product and then get deceived to see lots of stuff not working properly.

Amd yes, I'm a still a student who lives at his parent's so 20$ is alot, 2 hours of minimum wage work...
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Haha Good one.

Hey guys, take it easy there.

It's just funny to see people buying a product and then get deceived to see lots of stuff not working properly.

Amd yes, I'm a still a student who lives at his parent's so 20$ is alot, 2 hours of minimum wage work...

now imagine paying thousands of dollars each year, you will get used to it. the difference lies in how the maker of the programs you use will react on it, and possibly change it with the next iteration OR by constant patches, hotfixes etc.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deception implies that they lied about what the software does and doesn't do. It's a poor word choice.
  • technokill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 license can activate on 1 or 2 machines?
  • knacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    knacki wrote: »
    Very nice program with a bunch of very useful features!
    Painting itself is a blast. Blending options are wonderful.
    But unfortunately not reliable on my system.

Win 7 Ultimate 64Bit
    i7 3930k
    Titan GTX driver 344.65
    64 Gig Ram
    Asus P9X79 DELUXE

3 Monitor setup
    2x 1920x1200 1x Cintiq 21UX

Crashes randomly about every 30 Min. Last time while changing UI colours. :(

Something wrong with your refresh. I always get this when moving window. That's a bit scary.

Could that be because of switched off aero?

Sorry guys, had to quote myself.
    Too much blond talking in here ;) , questions getting lost.

@technokill one license - activate one machine
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Have you tried it with only one monitor? Have you run a memory test recently or ever, such as memtest86+ or the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool? (If you decide to run these they'll have to run overnight given the amount of RAM you've got.)
  • wilson66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 polycounter lvl 8

Noone wants several licenses for the prize of one. Money is not the issue here.

I personally would pay way more for your app if the licensing system was better.

One license needs to be usable on any number of systems (or limit the systems to 5 or something, with the user-controlled option to easily activate and de-activate systems). What you need to do, of course, is to make sure that only one instance of the app per license can be used at the same time.

There are several programs that work that way (e.g. 3D Coat, Modo). You will reach more customers that way, I'm sure of it.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Google hangouts. I get more of a speed boost by making the window smaller than to change my brush size.

Yes!

Also... maybe 2-3 point curvilinear? As annoying as it would be to code that would be amazing.

Muzz, I remember when I was trying to do Google Hangouts with 3ds max, I ran into the problem with the viewport was really choppy. It turned out, if I select Hangout to share the screen instead of the window/program, the lag disappeared. Could this be the issue you might have?
  • technokill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 wrote: »
    Noone wants several licenses for the prize of one. Money is not the issue here.

I personally would pay way more for your app if the licensing system was better.

One license needs to be usable on any number of systems (or limit the systems to 5 or something, with the user-controlled option to easily activate and de-activate systems). What you need to do, of course, is to make sure that only one instance of the app per license can be used at the same time.

There are several programs that work that way (e.g. 3D Coat, Modo). You will reach more customers that way, I'm sure of it.

This. Make this man the president.

Please Mr Paintstorm, as soon as you implement that exact sort of license system, I'll buy one myself and tell me friends to do the same.