Home Technical Talk

UV Packer IPackThat

Replies

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    As an alternative, not-as-good-but-easier approach, could you do basically what xNormal does, in that it looks for a filename inside a set directory? So I export my mesh in <application of the day> (using a one-click script because we're busy) that sends my current mesh to a constant directory with a constant name. IPackThat already has that filename ready so all you have to do is start the program and click go. The downside is that if you've only got the one file 'slot' you're overwriting it every time you change between meshes... but that seems a lit easier than relying on different plugins for different applications. Not that that wouldn't be cool too.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    [PB]Snoelk wrote: »
    the packing uses multiple threads for packing. each different rotations per uv-shell is handled in a different thread. more thread wont work well due the fact that a uv-shell has to be finished before another shell can be placed. if the rotation steps are at 90° the shell will spawn 4 threads, 0°, 90°, 180°, 270°. If the rotation steps are smaller it will spawn more threads.

So, to make optimum use of my processor (which has 6 cores, 2 threads per core), i should set the rotation steps to 30°?
  • OccultMonk
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Voted on Steam +2!! I knew this was coming eventually, now it's nearly here! All that wasted time packing :-(. Everything is changing fast now, Auto Unwrapping, Auto Retopo, Clay modeling without base meshes, Usefull Hard surface booleans, and now this. The future is finally here.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    [PB]Snoelk polycounter lvl 7
    First of all,

Happy New Year :)
    So, to make optimum use of my processor (which has 6 cores, 2 threads per core), i should set the rotation steps to 30°?
    • sort of. not always its better to allow such fine rotations for every part. from different tests i can tell, that its good to enable small rotations for smaller parts to fill the holes.

OccultMonk wrote: »
    Voted on Steam +2!! I knew this was coming eventually, now it's nearly here! All that wasted time packing :-(. Everything is changing fast now, Auto Unwrapping, Auto Retopo, Clay modeling without base meshes, Usefull Hard surface booleans, and now this. The future is finally here.
    :thumbup::D:thumbup:

Here the final UI Layout

NewUI3_1.jpgNewUI3_2.jpg

the groups are expandable now and the header.

The tool nearly reached 400 yes votes on steam greenlight so far. If the process on steam takes too long i will check additional options to publish the tool.

cheers
    :nerd:
  • Ignacio_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Ignacio_G polycounter lvl 7
    Can I please throw my money at you already? I can't wait to see it released, even in its current form I'd be super happy.

Good job man!
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i dunno whats going on but on my second attempt (my first was a character of similar complexity) with a 50k mesh it now calculates for 15 hours and is maybe one third through, in that time i could have made it myself :D
    also i ticked merge on import for the overlapping parts but it still packed them all unique.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    can you show me a picture of the uvlayout loaded inside or send to me ?

nearly finished with updating the ui. an updated demo will be coming the next days.
    additional i plan to use Open Asset Import LIbrary.
    That way i can load plenty of fileformats (fbx, dae, obj, lwo, blender, milkshape etc. pp)
  • Billabong
    Offline / Send Message
    Billabong polycounter lvl 15
    I'm guessing this takes texel density/pixel resolution into account? That's what the scene resolution is for?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    can you show me a picture of the uvlayout loaded inside or send to me ?

nearly finished with updating the ui. an updated demo will be coming the next days.
    additional i plan to use Open Asset Import LIbrary.
    That way i can load plenty of fileformats (fbx, dae, obj, lwo, blender, milkshape etc. pp)

sadly no, both huge international clients, definitely can't give that data out. if i have time i'll test some asset of my own. :)
  • gel
    Offline / Send Message
    gel polycounter lvl 7
    Brillant Snoelk,

Been struggling with uv`s for a while now.
    Your program looks promising.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    blazed wrote: »
    Hey guys what would be the main advantages of using this software?

Does it pack things as good as you would by hand or at least close enough, placing things intelligenlty in ways that make sense?

Basically what would the sale's pitch say?

It packs things as good, if not better then by hand, and it doesn't require hours of your time, per object.

In a production pipeline, if this software is successful, it will save hundreds, if not thousands of hours per project across an entire team.
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    Gave you a Greenlight vote! Can't wait to get a full version!
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    This is INCREDIBLE. An industry changer seriously! Amazing work Snoelk, I hope you continue on this and don't abandon it like a lot of other made programs. Work at your own pace don't get burned out! There is HUGE demand for this!

Once you get it finished, you need to market the shit out of it so the entire games industry knows about it. Then people see it as an essential program to their workflow. You could make a TON of money off this especially with the feedback/input from the fine folks here at Polycount. Maybe even enough to retire if marketed well enough :)
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    hello folks,
    here a small update.

In a few days( around 2) i can submit a new demo update. This will be a major update.

new features
    • new wpf UI (metro like)
    • pause and resume packing (hit space to pause the packing and hit space again to resume)
    • new Cluster browser
    • color editor for packing groups (colors for each packing groups are stores to disk and reloaded when a new session is loaded)
    • fixed overlapping errrors when packing
    • optimized packing (around 10% faster now)
    The cluster browser is the new window on the right side in the second image. its a first prototype.
    There you will see all clusters. Each clusters will be drawn to fill the region of each small rectangle item there. That way you can handle very very small items as well.
    You will be able to multi select via this wrap-panel as well (as alerady done in the second image).
    Also its possible to sort the list inside the browser with different settings (size, id, rotation steps, can rotate, cluster groups etc pp.)
    The properties will also be visible in each cluster item. In the image, the first number, is the cluster id and the second number are the rotation steps.
    Thats all for now :)

Again thanks for the great help and input from the polycount comunity.

NewUI4_1.jpg
    NewUI4_2.jpg
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    It's awesome that you can pack uv shells inside horseshoe and donut shaped layouts. Does the tool create uv's or just repack existing uv shells that you author in your 3D app of choice?

Also one suggestion, you might want to think about making this tool run in a command line so studios could use it as a plugin for packing light map uv's as those are still really wasteful because of the above mentioned horseshoe and donut shaped uv layouts.
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    malcolm wrote: »
    It's awesome that you can pack uv shells inside horseshoe and donut shaped layouts. Does the tool create uv's or just repack existing uv shells that you author in your 3D app of choice?

It just repacks existing UV's from an OBJ file. You can download the demo on the first page to see how it works.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    this is great, when you pack groups will it pack with rectangular bounds or will it have a convex more complex shape so the packing is more optimized?
    Also are there No Scale and No Rotate params for groups?
    A list of all groups for quick selection would be great too and a way to rightclick a uvisland and have an addtogroup->groupnames option to quickly add islands to exiting groups.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    Finaly here the new demo version with the new UI.

IPackThatDemo
    IPackThatDemo ChangeLog

An update on the documentation will follow later that day.
    I was not able to finish the color editor for the groups. Sill on it ^^.

here the Changelog in detail

Beta 7 Major Update Version 1.7.5491.459 - 13.01.2015
    • rework entire UI !!
    • fixed overlapping bugs inside packing algorithm
    • fixied bug with selection area and pressed alt key (deselect by mouse area)
    • optimize packing algorithm (~10% faster now)
    • add new key commands
      • Space Pause/Resume packing
      • PageUp goto original uv-version
      • PageDown goto best found uv-version
      • S Toggle Statistics Overlay in Cluster Browser
    • add new ClusterBrowser (First Version)
      • new browser to see all clusters and their stats (Key S to Toggle On/Off)
      • later list can be sorted with user input ( properties, rotation steps, groups etc)
      • adding Groups will result in spawning different Group Tabs with its own list of clusters (better sort handling)
      • context menu for selected items to Add to NewGroup | Add Existing Group | Clear Group
      • Selections are synced with each browser group panel and the work area
    new shots with the new ui will be delivered the next days.

..., when you pack groups will it pack with rectangular bounds or will it have a convex more complex shape so the packing is more optimized?

- its a packing before the real packing start. the result is an packing area where the shells are packed together. the still contain holes and their native contour shapes. when the real packing starts, shells from group 0 will be placed in those groups to fill the holes.

Also are there No Scale and No Rotate params for groups?

- you can easily select all clusters inside a group very easily now via the cluster browser and lock rotation for all clusters inside
    - the packing needs to scale stuff, but its scaling all together. different scalings for clusters are not suppoerted yet ( feature request to alow scaling for specific clusters withing specified ranges to fill holes)

A list of all groups for quick selection would be great too and a way to rightclick a uvisland and have an addtogroup->groupnames option to quickly add islands to exiting groups.

- too late. already implemented it ^^ check the clusters browser :)

cheers
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    ah awesome , didnt realize the clusterbrowser was for the grouping
    this seems to have all the features i hoped other packingsoft would have
    gonna give the new demo a try

edit:

I`m not sure if this is in there already but can i

-Lock a uvisland in space and let the packing work around that island?
    -make a group of prepacked uvislands and not have it pack within that group but do have it pack in the overall packing?
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    bump to new page
    Finaly here the new demo version with the new UI.

IPackThatDemo
    IPackThatDemo ChangeLog

An update on the documentation will follow later that day.
    I was not able to finish the color editor for the groups. Sill on it ^^.

here the Changelog in detail

Beta 7 Major Update Version 1.7.5491.459 - 13.01.2015
    • rework entire UI !!
    • fixed overlapping bugs inside packing algorithm
    • fixied bug with selection area and pressed alt key (deselect by mouse area)
    • optimize packing algorithm (~10% faster now)
    • add new key commands
      • Space Pause/Resume packing
      • PageUp goto original uv-version
      • PageDown goto best found uv-version
      • S Toggle Statistics Overlay in Cluster Browser
    • add new ClusterBrowser (First Version)
      • new browser to see all clusters and their stats (Key S to Toggle On/Off)
      • later list can be sorted with user input ( properties, rotation steps, groups etc)
      • adding Groups will result in spawning different Group Tabs with its own list of clusters (better sort handling)
      • context menu for selected items to Add to NewGroup | Add Existing Group | Clear Group
      • Selections are synced with each browser group panel and the work area
    new shots with the new ui will be delivered the next days.

- its a packing before the real packing start. the result is an packing area where the shells are packed together. the still contain holes and their native contour shapes. when the real packing starts, shells from group 0 will be placed in those groups to fill the holes.

- you can easily select all clusters inside a group very easily now via the cluster browser and lock rotation for all clusters inside
    - the packing needs to scale stuff, but its scaling all together. different scalings for clusters are not suppoerted yet ( feature request to alow scaling for specific clusters withing specified ranges to fill holes)

- too late. already implemented it ^^ check the clusters browser :)

cheers
  • DavidJones
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidJones polycounter lvl 4
    Tried the software out for the first time today...I gotta say this is pretty impressive! Haven't tested all of the features, but I'm looking forward to the initial release.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll test it out tonight Snoelk!
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I died a little inside when I realised I couldn't save in this demo :(
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    All the more reason to follow it until release :)
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Thoughts about the UI.

1. General / Cluster Settings should probably be tabs, or better designated that they are in fact buttons to choose options.

2. Having Load/Save/Reload in the upper right goes against all my years of indoctrination of having the menu on the left hand side.

3. While the loading progress bar on the bottom does a good job of signifying what it is doing, maybe adding a 'loading' popup centered on the screen could help clarify it a bit.

General Usage thoughts

1. "Draw Margins" option does not seem to be working.

2. Typing numbers into the text field is very clunky and slow, leading to some confusion, on my beast of a machine. Maybe don't have it update the number until enter is pressed.

3. I drag selected a box around some clusters, and when I clicked to confirm my selection I received this error: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2344272/crit/ipackthaterror.jpg I couldn't get rid of the drag select box, but could select all of the options.

4. It looks like your "Fill Polygons" option sometimes doesn't fill all of the polygons: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2344272/crit/ipackthatmoreerrors.jpg Compare the wires to the filled polygons, some are the background color.

Also, what does this high lighted number mean? It could use a label.

ipackthatquestion.jpg

Also I let your packer run for 30 minutes and it got to 95%. It took me around 12 hours by hand to get to less than that. Amazing.
  • SirFency
    I apologize if this has already been addressed but this thread has become quite big for me to read every post. there is one feature I would like to see. A minimum area setting. I frequently need to size up small parts but keep some larger parts the correct size. It would be nice if when I pack the uvs the smaller pars never get smaller in the uv space than a certain area size. This is useful when baking out lightmaps for instance.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! wrote: »
    1. General / Cluster Settings should probably be tabs, or better designated that they are in fact buttons to choose options.
    • like so ? will be in next update
      newTabItems.jpg
    2. Having Load/Save/Reload in the upper right goes against all my years of indoctrination of having the menu on the left hand side.
    • tried to use the metro left menu. but this looked more creepy. Will see if i can implement the tool buttons some other way
    3. While the loading progress bar on the bottom does a good job of signifying what it is doing, maybe adding a 'loading' popup centered on the screen could help clarify it a bit.
    • done, will be in next update
    1. "Draw Margins" option does not seem to be working.
    • fixed, will be in next update
    2. Typing numbers into the text field is very clunky and slow, leading to some confusion, on my beast of a machine. Maybe don't have it update the number until enter is pressed.
    • what text fields? all of them or just a few? could not see this behaviour.
    3. I drag selected a box around some clusters, and when I clicked to confirm my selection I received this error: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2344272/crit/ipackthaterror.jpg I couldn't get rid of the drag select box, but could select all of the options.
    • fixed, will be in next update
    4. It looks like your "Fill Polygons" option sometimes doesn't fill all of the polygons: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2344272/crit/ipackthatmoreerrors.jpg Compare the wires to the filled polygons, some are the background color.
    • thats some gdi drawbacks when drawing the polygon clusters. right now im adding to draw and paint at end. the result you see. to prevent this i need to draw and paint each poly individual. could be a slow down. need to see if i can fix it some other way.
    Also, what does this high lighted number mean? It could use a label.
    • added moore tooltip when you are hovering with mouse over an item. will be in next update
    • for this case, the first number is with margin and the second without margin
    Also I let your packer run for 30 minutes and it got to 95%. It took me around 12 hours by hand to get to less than that. Amazing.
    :poly121:
    SirFency wrote: »
    A minimum area setting. I frequently need to size up small parts but keep some larger parts the correct size. It would be nice if when I pack the uvs the smaller pars never get smaller in the uv space than a certain area size. This is useful when baking out lightmaps for instance.
    • scaling features for indivual parts are not inside yet. they scale as one if they scale. there was a feature request some weeks ago to mark some clusters so they could be resized to a min area so they could fill holes.
    • on my feature list now
    -make a group of prepacked uvislands and not have it pack within that group but do have it pack in the overall packing?
    • right now the packing can't handle this case. this could be a feature for later.
    • cool idea. this is a case for a group property. (don't pack internals). on my feature list for next update now

thats all for now :)
    thanks to stromberg90 i could adress some other stuff too.
    a new update will be released the next days.

Additional we nearly hit 500 votes on steam now. when my sources a correct this might be a magic number for tools to get approved.

cheers
  • WarrenM
    With the new environment modeling challenge kicking off here at Polycount, we could really use this thing ...

HINT HINT :)
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Have you posted this on http://reddit.com/r/gamedev ? It could get you those last votes.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    i just love it!
    got a gun to 98% used area in about 30 sec!
    it took me about 3 hours to get to 95% by hand...

i love it :)
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    ZacD wrote: »
    Have you posted this on http://reddit.com/r/gamedev ? It could get you those last votes.
    +1 with this. This is something all of those guys absolutely want. Make sure to post about it during EST peak to get the most views!
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I am sure you could speed things up on multicore systems just by solving two or three different packing solutions at once. I'm sure people would be OK with it if the program worked faster. Put on an option to let the user choose how many solutions to be running at once and you're golden.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Also you could surely automatically generate cluster groups on import based on material IDs. At least make it an option in the cluster browser. That would seriously make grouping islands that will have the same material and don't need as much padding loads easier.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    • thanks for the hint will do :) Is it better on weekend or in the week?
    Careful not to go feature crazy and stretch out the release date a year+ to keep adding stuff - seen it happen too many times.
    • thats for sure a good point. the biggest feature i got bad feelings about cause of this was the new ui. Currently will only implement base feature that dont change the current packing system or the behavior itself. those features i will take care after release. i want a running code version that i can publish right after steam approves this tool.
    I am sure you could speed things up on multicore systems just by solving two or three different packing solutions at once. I'm sure people would be OK with it if the program worked faster. Put on an option to let the user choose how many solutions to be running at once and you're golden.
    • good idea. but this will be an after release feature. for this i have to rework the current handling of the vertex index system. this is done automaticly based on a history index. to achieve this i have to implement a way to get vertices via a stack index too. can be time consuming.
    Also you could surely automatically generate cluster groups on import based on material IDs. At least make it an option in the cluster browser. That would seriously make grouping islands that will have the same material and don't need as much padding loads easier.
    • good idea. will try to get this for the next update. when multiply ids are found on import a message box will ask for different options.

the last facebook post about the new ui got me over 6100 views so far. thats damn impressing. weird that not more people vote on steam. also weird that around 80 people voted no for this tool :poly141:
    i can only imagine, that many artist still doubt that this packing tool realy can pack nearly as good as humans, if not better.

cheers
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's normally best to post around 11am ET or 8am PT on reddit, during the week. I don't now the statistically best time, but it's best to get it up when people are getting up and to work, where it will have a chance to be up at the top all day.

Also it's best to do a self post, include all the details, and ask for feed back in the title.
  • WarrenM
    Does it have to be Steam? You can sell it via Paypal or something RIGHT NOW. :)
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Your UI tab fixed the problem Snoelk, perfect.

The text field I was entering into was the margin. I will try to replicate. I was using a 4096 res with 550 islands.

I also agree with Warren. If you can sell this directly without a middle man I would prefer to buy it that way so you get all of my money. Steam takes 30%, but gets tons of exposure. So for some of us, a direct option would be great. You may even be able to sell it direct and just give us a steam key download, humble bundle does this often.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    i already tried to read and check other ways.
    the main problem is the secure server and a database to handle the serials or some other easy way of protection.
    the other thing is an update mechanism, where you can patch the tool if i got a new version.
    additional down here in germany you cant apply so easily for a paypal account (to receive money).
    you have to do tons of paperwork with paypal and our tax authority. thats a very very time consuming task.
    thats why i realy like steam right now. protection... handled by steam, patching... handled by steam. taxes are come from steam and i dont have to bullshit arround with the german tax authority.
    i realy realy which there would be an alternative to steam. but there isnt yet.
    if someone of you got another option let me now.
  • WarrenM
    Gumroad? I know some guys are selling models and substance materials through there ... why not this app?
  • Farfarer
    We don't have access to Steam at work, and I'd love to use this tool there if you were able to have another way of distributing it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    Checking and reading through gumroad docs. Looks very very promising. Handles VAT, updates and serials via cURL. Will sort things out next week.
    Just in case you get nervous about serial. This will be used for activation like windows does. After this it won't go online again.
  • alfalfasprossen
    You shouldn't worry so much about serials for the purpose of copy-protection. If demand is there, and there is, your tool will be cracked on cg-persia or so in no time. The only thing you should care about considering serials is to handle support requests limited to those people who verifiably paid for it...
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    good idea. will try to get this for the next update. when multiply ids are found on import a message box will ask for different options.
    +1 on that, would be useful. I haven't tried the tool yet so maybe it's already in, but on a similar note it would be awesome with an option to pack UV shells that belong to the same mesh next to each other (or at least as close as possible). It just feels really messy when shells are scattered all over the place. Just a gripe I have with other packing solutions.

When is the next update due? Great job btw!
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Farfarer wrote: »
    We don't have access to Steam at work, and I'd love to use this tool there if you were able to have another way of distributing it.

i just dislike steam as a tool for professional working. it's close to impossible to equip a studio efficiently with software through steam, it's horrible in fact.
    If one could buy licenses and distribute them to certain acounts for the time being like adobe allows it, it would be great. But right now it's just good for your own personal copy of things.
    Besides its just slow and clunky. If it would solve those issues i wouldn't mind getting tools there, until then we will have to go on buying and renting stuff somewhere else.
  • mLichy
    Not sure if this is a feature, but I tried to Ctrl+ left click multiple shells, so that I could try and group them or something, in the main window.

But I get an exception.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index

I also tried to select a shell in the main window, then click on a different shell in the Cluster Browser and crashed the app, with no error.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    @mLichy this bug is already found and fixed in my current solution. Will be inside the next update.

The next update will be available the next two days.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    ok something thats a problem to some users when selling via gumroad.
    no paypal.
    you can buy there via Discover, Visa (including Visa Electron), Mastercard, AMEX, Maestro, Diner's Club and some debit cards** (whatever this means)
    but will continue to look into it
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    new update available.
    • fixed crash with selection
    • reworked MenuTab Visualisation
    • fixed DrawMargins
    • move Window Commands below Title (save, load, reload)
    • adding load feedback to mainarea
    • adding more tooltips to various controls

here a nice packing example when we tested around a bit

NewUI_Example_01.jpg