Home Technical Talk

UV Packer IPackThat

Replies

• WarrenM
    Wow, nice example! Hotness...
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    You're doing amazing work man. Hmm not too sure if these would help with software selling, but perhaps stripe or humble widget would work?
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    Do you have a download link for the new demo? I gave one of your early builds a shot at work, but I'd like to test the new hotness on some meshes I have at home.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    [PB]Snoelk polycounter lvl 7
    Harbinger wrote: »
    Do you have a download link for the new demo? I gave one of your early builds a shot at work, but I'd like to test the new hotness on some meshes I have at home.

IPackThatDemo
    IPackThatDemo ReadMe
    IPackThatDemo ChangeLog

same link as ever :)
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    nice :)
    i really like your tool! ists simply awesome!
  • Pedro Amorim
    You're doing Gods work my son! Keep it up!
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    You shouldn't worry so much about serials for the purpose of copy-protection. If demand is there, and there is, your tool will be cracked on cg-persia or so in no time. The only thing you should care about considering serials is to handle support requests limited to those people who verifiably paid for it...

I think the best way to sell software is to split the pricing into indie/educational (below 10k $ / year) and pro-licenses, like Allegorithmic does.
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Thousand wrote: »
    I think the best way to sell software is to split the pricing into indie/educational (below 10k $ / year) and pro-licenses, like Allegorithmic does.

I disagree with this. I would much rather it be a regular amount fee like Marmoset or Knald. The Allegorithmic programs are huge with big teams working on them in comparison to these small programs.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Thousand wrote: »

how much do you expect this tool to cost?
  • WarrenM
    Yeah, I'm anticipating sub-$50 here ... am I being naive? :)
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe should do a poll? :)
  • WarrenM
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Haha! I cant take that seriously! Anyways cant wait for the actual release! Instant buy from me!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Hopefully there will be a student/hobbyist/freelance price and a commercial one.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    short update.
    nearly finished with handling serial keys for gumroad.

the programm will only activate and need to be online if
    • first run
    • version is updated
    • computer you are running on differs to much (i get different aspects of the current machine and check if 80% are matching)
    so far i didn't receive a "no" from our ceo regarding gumroad.
    when all works out i can publish the tool late this week or beginning next week :)

when the tool publishes i will block the buy's for a short time to validate the serial key mechanism (its a dry test without the real server data so far)
    if the serial checks fail later for any reason i will patch those bugs asap.
    first time for me i implement such stuf so be kind to me :poly142:
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    [PB]Snoelk wrote: »
    when all works out i can publish the tool late this week or beginning next week :)
    Awesome!
  • joebount
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    quick question: will I be able to use it on 2 computers (but not on the same time) ?
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes you can :)
    You can use this tool on any computer you want. I only reactivate the tool on the other computers.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Would we be able to circumvent gumroad and paypal you money directly? I've never had a credit card (nor wanted one), so gumroad is out for me.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    additional down here in germany you cant apply so easily for a paypal account (to receive money).
    you have to do tons of paperwork with paypal and our tax authority. thats a very very time consuming task.

Probably no Paypal.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Are those paperwork things new? All i needed to do is register, recieve like a cent from them with a auth code in the transfer message and use that code in their system to link it to my bank account. Not paperwork needed :o
  • chyslns
    Offline / Send Message
    chyslns polycounter lvl 8
    Hi, first of all, thank you for coming up with this amazing tool :D

I know this has been adressed and fixed before but I just downloaded the last version (1.7.5497.26482, correct me if I'm wrong) and still got the same error with the selection box. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe it's my pc, but it seemed important to say.

Ci4d5T0.png

Also, how do you keep the changes after the best solution was found? I'm not referring to exporting that solution, but to keep it on the screen. As soon as it finds the best solution after 10 runs (which was the maximum I set) it switches back to how it started and cannot see the results. I only get to see it while it's packing.

A suggestion, maybe you have it already in your plans but it would be nice if you could add a feature where you could keep clusters that will have the same kind of material on the texture nearby or grouped together.
    Maybe by material IDs on the model, so you won't have clusters of, say, wood all over the texture sheet, inbetween different kinds of metals, or cloths.
    I think it will even the masking and texturing process a lot faster and cleaner if you could have all clusters of woods, all steels, all cloths, or whatever material you plan to use together

Again thank you for this amazing tool, you are making our job a lot easier, can't wait for the release :D
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    Are those paperwork things new? All i needed to do is register, recieve like a cent from them with a auth code in the transfer message and use that code in their system to link it to my bank account. Not paperwork needed :o
    • well thats not all. ever read about the VAT you have to take care as of this year. You have to adress the taxes of the country the buyer is from and pay those at end of the year. Gumroad takes care of this and keeps track of those buyers.
    • Those things must be on the tax as incoming with some other stuff.
    • Talked about that a lot with our CEO. 60% i could understand the rest my brains shuts down ^^. German Tax authority is nasty

chyslns wrote: »
    I know this has been adressed and fixed before but I just downloaded the last version (1.7.5497.26482, correct me if I'm wrong) and still got the same error with the selection box. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe it's my pc, but it seemed important to say.
    • could you send me the obj file? so ic an debug this. Though i found the problem. Well at least one part of it. Send me a private message and i give you the mail to send to.
    Also, how do you keep the changes after the best solution was found? I'm not referring to exporting that solution, but to keep it on the screen. As soon as it finds the best solution after 10 runs (which was the maximum I set) it switches back to how it started and cannot see the results. I only get to see it while it's packing.
    • mhhh weird. it isnt switching to the best solution then when you setup a max run count. will have a look.
    • there ar two button in the scene options << and >>. those one switch between the original solution and the best found solution. you also can press page up and press down to swicth between solutions
    A suggestion, maybe you have it already in your plans but it would be nice if you could add a feature where you could keep clusters that will have the same kind of material on the texture nearby or grouped together.
    • Group by material ids is a request thats already on my roadmap :)
    • The drawback when you group are not a good packing. if you group everything you will not find a superior packing. maybe i could implement an additional group packing mechanism ( stay close to clusters of same group )
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    ah i see, okay i just use paypal to buy stuff, never used it for work
  • chyslns
    Offline / Send Message
    chyslns polycounter lvl 8
    not sure how to use quotes in the thread yet
    • could you send me the obj file? so ic an debug this. Though i found the problem. Well at least one part of it. Send me a private message and i give you the mail to send to.

Sure, no problem. I sent the message

• mhhh weird. it isnt switching to the best solution then when you setup a max run count. will have a look.
    • there ar two button in the scene options << and >>. those one switch between the original solution and the best found solution. you also can press page up and press down to swicth between solutions

Tried again and it doesn't seem to work, neither the Pg up/down keys or the buttons in the scene options. I guess it is not storing the solutions so it doesn't have anything to switch to.
    • Group by material ids is a request thats already on my roadmap :)
    • The drawback when you group are not a good packing. if you group everything you will not find a superior packing. maybe i could implement an additional group packing mechanism ( stay close to clusters of same group )
    [/QUOTE]

woo! I'm glad this will be included. yeah, that would be a drawback, maybe if you could select which IDs to group, so you group only the important ones and let the smaller ones or the ones that are not so visible in the model to pack as best as it is possible, it would be more balanced.
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    hi,

i have a small problem :)
    why is it rotating the clusters with this settings?
    7uyyvafa.jpg
  • martinszeme
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    You got "Rotate" checkbox checked.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    the find smallest bounds for this shell is enabled. this will rotate the shell to a rotation where the bounding box is smallest. this will be used for rotating the shell with its rotation steps.
    if you want to rotate the shell as it is, disable the find smalles bound option for this shell.
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    yea, but i want that he is able to rotate it, but just 90°

ah ok, thank you :) i will try that
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    so if i disable find smallest bound, it will just rotate everything how it is for 90°?
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    yep. if you disable this feature for selected shells, the shells will use the rotation where they are imported. find smallest bound is a step before the packing starts. all shells will try to find their smallest bounds. this feature will not work if the option find smallest bounds is disabled or can rotate is disabled
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    ah cool thank you :)

i'm really looking forward to this tool :) right now i have a bunch of assets that need to be packed ^^ so i will wait for that till next week :) hopefully everything works out for you and you are able to publish the tool within the next week :)
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    short update.
    finished with the serial managment. works smooth and as expected.
    now im waiting for our ceo and all the tax and legal terms.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    short update.
    finished with the serial managment. works smooth and as expected.
    now im waiting for our ceo and all the tax and legal terms.

I'm sitting here holding my breath. Will breath when released.
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Quack! wrote: »
    I'm sitting here holding my breath. Will breath when released.

Same, this is basically an instapurchase from me :)
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    While you wait for taxes to be sorted, please release it on a TOR black market for bitcoins. Need this like an addict needs his fix.
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Sounds great, even if some of the times mentioned are still a bit unpractical. It seems like you are using a brute force approach, which gets out of hand for parts that can be freely rotated?
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    i saw an greenlight that it will cost about 50 €.
    are there any plans for a student verison?
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren wrote: »
    Sounds great, even if some of the times mentioned are still a bit unpractical.
    • Gumroad and steam deliver some sort of serial protection and can handle file updates. Other only deliver a file and rest is up to you. I have no time to fiddle around registration servers and update mechanism.
    Noren wrote: »
    It seems like you are using a brute force approach, which gets out of hand for parts that can be freely rotated?
    • yeah, if you enable rotation steps about 1° for every shell it will go nuts and take forever *g*
    Phoenix995 wrote: »
    • not yet, and if, then for a professional version with enhanced features for a higher price.
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    Phoenix995 wrote: »
    • not yet, and if, then for a professional version with enhanced features for a higher price.

so that means that 50€ is the standard version and if there will be another version, than this one will be more expensive and have some extra features?
  • WarrenM
    Mario was cool enough to let me into a closed beta of the app so I could use it for the Throne challenge. REALLY nice results so far. MODO pack on the left, iPackThat on the right...

WIP018.jpg

It's more easily appreciated when you see a bake comparison. Lots more pixels to play with:

WIP019.jpg
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    inside you can group different shells. those grouped ones will be packed together and this result will be packed inside the final pack solution
  • Smoluck
    Offline / Send Message
    Smoluck polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for this new UI rework, and all those new features.

cheers Snoelk
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    hey :)
    are there any news concerning the release? :)
  • Titus
    Offline / Send Message
    Titus polycounter lvl 14
    Hey dude it's awesome tool, but it would be great if add some options:
    - UV channel selection
    - And do something with performance :) because when i try to load mesh with very huge amount of UV "islands" it's freezing ;(
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    hello all :)

currently im fixing the last bugs, adding context menues to the main window so you are able to do different stuff on clusters via contex menu.
    i also adding steamworks sdk to the tool in the steam version. 2 days ago i got approved on steam :) yaehhh
    due the fact that the legal terms of steam and gumroad predict american law, i have to wait for the german authority to finish with a new corporation for this tool. this can be a matter of days or weeks. the procees was started some weeks ago.
    the VAT related stuff is sorted out and now we know what we have to do.
    As soon as the new corporation is approved the tool will go online a few days later.

sorry for the delay but the law stuff is pretty nasty.
    since some major companies are interesed in this tool aslo, we have to go safe.

will keep you updated if there are news.

ps.
    • UVChannel selection
      • this will come with a bigger seperate version of ipackthat (professional?) this special version will have fbx, uv selection (and pack the selected uv channels), batch per commandline to start a batch operation packing directly on multiple meshes.
    • Professional Version
      • will come in 2 pricing modes, indi and corporation or some sort
    • load performance
      • did some optimisation on some step inside the import process. will check if i can find more. the detection of all the special cases (overlaps, uv position between 1 and 2)
  • Marshkin
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Looking forward to the steam release! Tried the demo and it worked like a charm!
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Congrats on being approved by steam! When you do finally release it I would recommend making a new thread to get more views on the release :) I was wondering are you are having an auto update system in a single client or just downloadable versions?

I hope you get as much exposure as possible, you deserve it for the incredible work! I'm not sure how to go about it but maybe you could contact the polycount staff and they could help with exposure?
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    They've done front-page news posts for software releases before so I don't see why they wouldn't for this tool.

Glad to hear all the legal stuff is taken care of; good luck with the release!
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Good luck!! I will buy this for sure!!