Home General Discussion

New ZBrush @ZBrush Summit

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 9
This Friday-Sunday! August 8,9,10th

I thought we can discuss here. I'm just too damn excited I can't sit still for this.(Haha)
Especially as ZBrush 5 knowing it will be...
- 64-Bit
- Pixel painting enabled
- (Hopefully) Sculptris is fully integrated
- (Rumored) Keyshot integration as a plugin or within ZBrush from ZBrushCentral summit thread.
b45503dafe556a5249b3d2388a9d832e.jpg

Replies

• Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    yeah this is going to be amazing.
    when zbrush has a summit you know something big is going down.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I for one am quite excited to see what they have put together. I'm hoping for Linux support myself.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I'm excited too, Pixologic always adds really cool stuff to zBrush and it has been more than a year since 4R6 was released so I can't wait to see what they have in store this time.

I'm planning to watch whatever streams I can, but the Friday Pixologic presentation, which I assume will be showing the new zBrush, is at 9pm PST which is when I'll be getting drunk somewhere, hopefully I can watch it later on, or get a nuce recap here :)
  • bounchfx
    oh man. stoked. I'm really excited to see what's gonna be there for features. I'm still really hoping for 64bit (pretty much guaranteed, right?) true texture painting, maybe integration with PS like mudbox or 3d coat has (this would be amazing), and folders for polypaint/subtools. If ZB was able to have photoshop like funtionality for subtool and polypaint layers that would just be awesome as hell. Outside of the obvious there, I'd love a way to apply a stroke along a spline. Oh please oh please.

I'm sure there's a lot of other awesome stuff I can't even think of.
  • unit187
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Hell, it's about time. Haven't seen any major updates from Pixologic for a while.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Pixel painting is the one I'm most psyched about, can't wait!
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Pixel painting and 64bit. I know whatever they do is going to be awesome. There hasn't been a "ho-hum" release from them yet.
  • Super
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Please have streamlined the workflow. Not any more deep rooted menus and illogical buttons.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Time to learn new game changing techniques all over again :P
  • ahtiandr
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    Pixel painting and 64bit ! This would be just ultra epic!
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    To go or not to go... that is the question. Parking around Gnomon is a pain.

That said, Zbrush releases should be considered a holiday.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    post-26029-kermit-the-frog-YAY-gif-0hBT.gif

Yeah, PS integration would be awesome with pixel painting.
  • joebount
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    CLoth sim would be great as well
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    There is already a Keyshot plug-in available ;) You just need to ask Luxion nicely for it :)
    Adaptive or some sort of automated smart subdivision would be nice.
    64-bit yep please :)
    Free upgrade for ZB 4r6 users :P
    Pixel paint (it HAS to have it :o)
    Proper Ptex would be nice :3
    Hmmm maybe some more traditional 3D package like selection (face, vert etc...) without having to isolate things.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    wait so its going to be able to utilize more gigs of ram ? :D
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I think a lot of artists would appreciate a pixel painting function in ZB if they're able to add it. Not sure how it would be implemented but still, would be nice to not have to enter Mudbox/3DC to paint but instead keep sculpting and painting in the same app :D
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    What I want to see:

Able to re-sell educational Z-brush licence
    Cheaper educational licence (actually available from their website)
    Or

Do what Autodesk has done with their educational licences
  • JamesTKirk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    My hopes:
    Revamped modern interface with flexible customization.
    Dynamic polygon density. something like 3dcoat or sculptris.
  • Intervain
    Offline / Send Message
    Intervain polycounter lvl 13
    all I want is 64bit and layers that actually work without the 'rec' shit
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Intervain wrote: »
    all I want is 64bit and layers that actually work without the 'rec' shit

Yep! Last I heard they were just doing 4R7 without 64 bit but I really hope I'm wrong.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I'm waiting on a better method of doing seamless tileable sculpting... but won't hold my breath.
  • dr grim
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Yep! Last I heard they were just doing 4R7 without 64 bit but I really hope I'm wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Hoping for 64 bits, proper layer support (without the REC shit as someone said above) and pixel painting. And maybe nodal shading system because that material thing is crap. I can live with the rest as it is.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    JamesTKirk wrote: »
    My hopes:
    Revamped modern interface with flexible customization.
    Dynamic polygon density. something like 3dcoat or sculptris.
    Yes! I would love some sort of real dynamic topology rather than Dynamesh.
    I've been told it's impossible to just port over Sculptris' Dynamic Tessellation because it relies on triangles, and ZBrush is built completely around the use of quads. Hopefully though they've finally found a way to get the same effect with quads.
  • JamesTKirk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    Well last time they've added Trim Curve which generates triangulated mesh. I think that was just the first step.
    I wonder will they announce Zbrush 5 or just 4r7 this time.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    Yes! I would love some sort of real dynamic topology rather than Dynamesh.
    I've been told it's impossible to just port over Sculptris' Dynamic Tessellation because it relies on triangles, and ZBrush is built completely around the use of quads. Hopefully though they've finally found a way to get the same effect with quads.

Do you mind elaborating on this? I've never used 3DC/Sculptris methods of dynamic topology so would be interesting to hear about.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Watch from 12:00 and you'll get an idea (esp at 12:30).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5oQnOfM7Jo"]HEXTOR : 3D COAT HARD SURFACE SPEED SCULPTING - BLENDER / FORMZ 7 SPEEDMODELING - YouTube[/ame]
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Please, pretty please make the UI usable on windows tablets.. 'tis a pain..
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Torch wrote: »
    Do you mind elaborating on this? I've never used 3DC/Sculptris methods of dynamic topology so would be interesting to hear about.

Dynamesh is basically a cheap imitation of the voxel functionality in 3dcoat. While it's better than nothing it still falls far short of the fucntionality found in 3dcoat and probably sculptris (only played around in it for 5 mins) Dynamesh requires active management and has artifacting issues, like baking the stretching of the polygons into the new dynamesh, difficulty with thin shells, funky handling of holes, creating floaters, surface erosion/melting. 3d-coat has another type of geometry they call live clay which will locally subdivide your mesh while you work, so you only get detail where you need it, this is very similar to Sculptris.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Zbrush, there are a lot of disjointed workflows and things that just don't play well together. It really feels like it's lost it's focus and is moving in to many different directions. I really hope the workflow is less destructive, they finally give us good production ready tools for topology, uv's and texturing, finally give us 64bit, someway to manage subtools, and do something about how they manage 3d space to be a bit more standard so it can work with 3dconnexion devices.

So many things to improve, so I am really excited to see what they have to show. I do have to wonder if the free upgrades are coming to an end though.
  • Matt Fagan
    Offline / Send Message
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Matt Fagan wrote: »
    Just to verify that ZB5 will in fact be a 64-Bit app. Read here :
    https://support.pixologic.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/66/0/is-zbrush-4r2-64-bit

Oh yea of course ZB5 will be 64-bit. I guess the question is whether or not this will be ZB5 or 4R7
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    64bit...it's about time.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I just want it to not crash all the time.

I also want just one universal save button. On the top left corner. Like in Maya. Or Max.
  • Jeremy-S
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    My meager requests:
    Zremesher without spiral loops
    Better hard surface tools
    Working layers without the REC thing
    A revamp of Dynamesh that's less destructive to things like, fingers

It's already going to have 64bit, I guess, which has been a huge downfall for me. It sure would be nice to be able to use all the RAM in my PC on higher res meshes. But all in all, I can't think of anything else I'd really want that hasn't already been said.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    It sure would be nice to be able to use all the RAM in my PC on higher res meshes.

Good god, yes. My computer has 32GB of RAM, so let me use as much of it as possible instead of this damned 4GB limitation.

I could live with them not changing a single piece of functionality in the program if it meant that it would be 64-bit.
  • Matt Fagan
    Offline / Send Message
    A few art piece teases from the founder of Pixologic for the upcoming zbrush summit tomorrow!
    https://twitter.com/OferAlon/status/497546461916045312/photo/1

Very clean topo, and lots of well defined hard-surface pieces and seems to be more environment friendly to create in.
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    I really hope they offer a student package for Zbrush, I'd love to purchase Zbrush especially because they're so awesome about the free upgrades.

But if we are going to see version 5 and see some mighty big changes the likes of what everyone in this thread has been chatting about, color me very excited.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Man that's some really clean topology, wouldn't have guessed it was made in zbrush.
  • Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    wait so its going to be able to utilize more gigs of ram ? :D

Finally! My 32gb will finally be put to use! Time to create a sphere with 50,000,000,000,000 polys. Think of the detail ;)
  • Anthony
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    Well, with 64-bit confirmed, that's one thing i can cross off my Want list for V5.

What else I would like to see:

Proper texture workflow using layers ala PS/Mudbox (the ability to paint on more than just defuse color would help a lot), although if this doesn't happen then i've got Substance painter to fall back on.

An END to the god damned Action Line! Seriously, they need to GET RID of that thing! and use PROPER manipulation gizmos, even 3Dcoat has them. The Action line has been what's stopped me from really getting into Zbrush since i got it last year, simply because it's so frustrating using that thing, and the circles aren't even labeled, so you don't know what axis you're using for rotating, scaling and moving....

Substance integration would also be nice,
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Anthony wrote: »
    Well, with 64-bit confirmed, that's one thing i can cross off my Want list for V5.

When was 64bit confirmed!?
  • Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    An END to the god damned Action Line! Seriously, they need to GET RID of that thing! and use PROPER manipulation gizmos, even 3Dcoat has them. The Action line has been what's stopped me from really getting into Zbrush since i got it last year, simply because it's so frustrating using that thing, and the circles aren't even labeled, so you don't know what axis you're using for rotating, scaling and moving....

Substance integration would also be nice,

I'd probably stick with this copy of zBrush if they got rid of the line-style transpose tools. If they had BOTH it would be great, but I like the amount of fluidity and freedom you get with the action-line transpose stuff. It's great for manipulation and quickly adjusting proportions, and it's too bad when it comes to moving an object about. If they had a gizmo you could switch to, the transpose tools would become ultra-powerful.
  • Cyclope
    Oh, i just registered here because of that event.

64 bit, oh yea, need to push another 16GB in then.

Well i really hope they add more traditional modeling too.
    A simple extrusion is a real showstopper in 4r6.

If zBrush would be as good in hard surface as it is in organic sculpting,
    i would get rid of my other hobbies :D.

-What really³ annoys me all the time is the clip curve tool, which
    is not able to cut overlapping geometry.

-The trim tool is limited and most of the time i use it, it doesnt slice geometry away, it just creates a new polygroup (never found out why).

-And i want a work plane, like in modo. :)
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    An END to the god damned Action Line! Seriously, so you don't know what axis you're using for rotating, scaling and moving

Actually, there's more to the action line than transforms.

smart masking, curve deforms, extrusions, duplication, negative mesh

http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/modeling-basics/transpose/
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Matt Fagan wrote: »
    A few art piece teases...

Very clean topo, and lots of well defined hard-surface pieces and seems to be more environment friendly to create in.

The archi image looks like in subD to me. Wonder if they got pixar subD too like in Modo.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Good god, yes. My computer has 32GB of RAM, so let me use as much of it as possible instead of this damned 4GB limitation.

I could live with them not changing a single piece of functionality in the program if it meant that it would be 64-bit.

ha i got 64 in my workstation and can't open one file of one of the airborn planes anymore... :(
  • donofdon
    Offline / Send Message
    donofdon polycounter lvl 2
    anyone else never get/need to use Zbrush but like seeing the updates?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Neox wrote: »
    ha i got 64 in my workstation and can't open one file of one of the airborn planes anymore... :(

64gb?! damn!
  • Anthony
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    beefaroni wrote: »
    When was 64bit confirmed!?

On the Pixologic FAQ section, there is a question of whether or not 4R2 is 64-bit, and the answer is:

"Zbrush 4r2 is not 64-bit, but Zbrush 5 will be."

So if this is ZB 5 we're getting, then it'll be 64-bit.

@MagicSugar, i know about the modelling capabilities of the Transpose Action-line, and i'm fine if they keep that in, but as it stands right now, using it for tool manipulation is very clunky and not very intuative.

Add to the fact that subtools don't rotate around their own central axis when rotated by default, well, lets just say i'm not the only one who thinks it's time for a change.

And on top of the things i mentioned earlier, another thing I'd like to see is real-world scaling system, along with proper dynamic tessalation (like 3dcaot and sculptris have)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    64gb?! damn!

right now we work on 7 games, all run through me at one point so i have tons of instances of max open, tons of files in PS, zbrush, often times running engines etc. that adds up quickly :D
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I was excited and planning on going to this, but the drive to and from each day is long enough that I think I'll just watch the stream instead. Better to save my time and money I reckon...