Home General Discussion

New ZBrush @ZBrush Summit

Replies

• leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    wait untill you try it to judge it , its probably going to be yet another free update so you can try it right away.

I have no idea if its going to be good or not, it looks very promising though.
    just imagining being able to manually cleanup a zremesh straight inside of zbrush makes me kind of excited.

I`m sure it will be great for character attributes and modeling for bakingrelated purposes.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    The way I see it, it doesn't hurt to have these box modeling tools available. If you don't like them, don't use them. Also remember they have two more days of summit, let them finish showing what they got coming up.
  • Intervain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Intervain polycounter lvl 13
    I agree, it's another tool that will come in useful and it doesn't hurt to have it. It looks great, however I'm a bit concerned about the little popup menu which looks crowded [even Joseph had to think while choosing the options at times].

I would prefer for Pixo to redo the layer system and some other messiness in the program but I won't complain if I don't have to go to Maya to model sth small...

The Keyshot deal sounds pretty good too and even though I do have a Vray licence I am tempted to hop on board.
    I look forward to more stuff this weekend and to trying it myself.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    I think a ui overhaul will be introduced in z5
  • marrakech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marrakech polycounter lvl 5
    i hawe an feeling that they wont unweal other features at this event :( ,they mentioned other features to be unweiled befor release so i think nomore features today . maybe im wrong.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Well, that was nice, but the UI looks like its bursting at the seams. Something like marking menus should be used instead of one huge menu with every applicable button showing at once.
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    The modelling stuff and explicitly 64 bit and any new features certainly feels like a 'beta' version of what's to come in Zbrush 5. Especially since Zbrush is prime for a next big leap. So I'd expect them to maaaaaybe come up with a new version in a year.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I doubt we'll see many changes to the UI this time around. It's common practice to jump to a new version number when giving your app a major facelift if for no other reason than to make distinguishing between the two easier. Also, most of these presentations are on workflows with the current product, so I can't imagine they'll be like, "Lets throw it all out the window!1!" (I'm learning a LOT more than I thought I would.)

Considering how widely ZBrush is used though, I wonder at what point does it warrant being its own little animal? Pretty much every app we use took it's own approach at one point or another. I'm not saying ZBrush's UI is perfect (I work on UI's for a living) but at the end of the day, it does what it does so well that maybe its unique approach is somewhat justified at this point.

edit: I do think there's more to come. I can't imagine they'd hold a summit filled with hour and a half long presentations, while only bringing half an hour's worth themselves.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The smug guy was all about modelling military items and real world printable items. But if you're doing anything near an engineering level of precision zbrush doesn't have very useful tools for that.
    Do you really think a sculpting application is remotely intended for 'engineering levels of precision'? Drust has a heavy history with Tom Clancy games, it's not like he's designing working grenades for a defense contract. These are art tools designed to let artists block out and play with sub-d ready shapes quickly, which is a feature zbrush has lacked for a long time. It's a new step that can allow zbrush to tackle hard-surface shapes without having to rely on millions vertices to brute force a form into existence, while still maintaining the conceptive mindset that zbrush tends to focus on.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SecretPro wrote: »
    These complaints are childish. This update opens more options for the artist, some people are software nerds others are just as fast and resourceful with 2 to 3 apps. Is not going to affect your workflow so keep using your other apps, other folks would want to tackle most of the workload from start in zbrush. Simple don't like it don't use it. Not everyone has the same workflow and maybe others are looking for change.

Yuri's complaints are not in the slightest bit childish. Let me dumb it down for you:

Software companies have limited resources. If they spend significant man hours implementing features that other applications do much better/more efficiently rather than improving their core set of tools, this directly affects every user of the software. Time spent adding superfluous stuff means less time advancing tools that are the core of most peoples workflow.

You can argue how important poly modeling tools in zbrush are, but there is no valid counter for the fact that more time spent on traditional modeling tools means less time spent on other features.

Personally, until zBrush adopts something at least vaguely resembling a standard user interface (unlikely to ever happen), I have difficulty imagining a situation I would use it for poly/sub-d stuff over something like Modo. Though I do see the merit of adding such tools for people who want to use zbrush exclusively.
  • SecretPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yuri's complaints are not in the slightest bit childish. Let me dumb it down for you:

You can argue how important poly modeling tools in zbrush are, but there is no valid counter for the fact that more time spent on traditional modeling tools means less time spent on other features.

Personally, until zBrush adopts something at least vaguely resembling a standard user interface (unlikely to ever happen), I have difficulty imagining a situation I would use it for poly/sub-d stuff over something like Modo. Though I do see the merit of adding such tools for people who want to use zbrush exclusively.

I still find it pointless to complain, especially when they adding features. Keep in mind this is not the last update zbrush will ever have, whatever feature or fixes people are glamoring or hoping for might come. They are including more features for the artist, so is also an insult to say that man power was not resourceful just because other software provide the same features.
    Like before, don't like them don't use them, others certainly will.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah I don't really see the poly modeling tools to be too useful to me. I imagine most artists using zbrush will already have another modeling tool already that they are familiar with. Not to mention the major ones have some form of GoZ which makes it pretty painless to move back and forth for the most part.

While it's nice to see more tools it can also be worrying since their interface does have a bit of a problem with getting too busy as new features get added on and I would enjoy seeing whats already there get more polish.
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Agree with Cryrid.

These poly modelling tools might form the basis for more advanced tools... they might not be useful to everybody now, but the evolution of it might be something everyone can get on-board with (like Qmesher > Zremesher).

Also not everyone wants to obtain (read buy), learn or use other software, this isn't being lazy, it's expensive and time consuming for potentially the wrong reasons.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    The speed at which they were able to do all sorts of annoying and complex ego edits already makes me want to give it a chance. But then again I haven't tried Modo yet. So maybe a lot of the features I'm drooling over can be found in there already? EQ can you shed any light on that? How easy is it to punch circles into Geo in Modo?
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    The new dynamic sub-d and Keyshot bridge look great for hard surface. . . . . . . . . . concepting
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SecretPro wrote: »
    I still find it pointless to complain, especially when they adding features.

But somehow complaining about the complaining has more merit? Its perfectly acceptable to state an opinion on a piece of software that many people have a good deal of personal investment in. What is ridiculous is popping in and attacking someone for simply stating their opinion. Have some respect for others and make a counter point, don't simply insult them because you disagree with their opinion.
    Keep in mind this is not the last update zbrush will ever have, whatever feature or fixes people are glamoring or hoping for might come.

Who said otherwise?
    They are including more features for the artist, so is also an insult to say that man power was not resourceful just because other software provide the same features.

I simply pointed out that when effort is put into X feature, it necessarily can't be put into Y feature. This is basic mathematics. How important X vs Y feature is will of course be subjective.
    Like before, don't like them don't use them, others certainly will.

Who has said anything contrary to this?
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Sneak peak is next presentation.

In some ways I kind of wish the resources were spent else where on the package than poly tools. But at the same time I guess this gives them a foundation to create some cool tools out of that.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who's to say they didn't hire additional programmers to work on the modeling tools?
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Software companies have limited resources. If they spend significant man hours implementing features that other applications do much better/more efficiently rather than improving their core set of tools, this directly affects every user of the software. Time spent adding superfluous stuff means less time advancing tools that are the core of most peoples workflow.

This.

Just think about how sooner we could have had 64-bit support if their programmers weren't busy adding poly modeling and animation tools.

I imagine the truth is that there's a huge non-professional or at least non-regular user base who only has Zbrush and is only interested in making pretty pictures in this one app. These features are meant to cater for that part of their customers and for people in the DCC industry.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    On a code base that old, I doubt 64-bit support could have come any sooner. The code base is undoubtedly full of old cruft, and cleaning that up takes a lot of time no matter how many people you have on the team. Adding more programmers to the project wouldn't help much either, since they have to learn their way around the code base.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well then they should've started earlier. It's not like 64-bit PCs are a new thing, I don't even remember how long ago they've been introduced.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    "Welcome to our first ever Zbrush summit, now check out these modelling tools!"

Lame.gif
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Didn't they show these models yesterday? Or am I watching the same thing?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks to Dominic (aka Dom on PC) for his presentation. Picked up a couple useful workflow tips.
  • Ben Milette
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Milette polycounter lvl 9
    wow, basically the same demo? That's one way to show off your new product...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    why are they doing this to me. It's awesome but I'm not sure why they're showing the same shit... kinda strange how they 'hint' at a bunch of stuff earlier saying they'll show it tomorrow, and then today is just the same thing as yesterday. Groundhog day again tomorrow perhaps? heheh, I'm just excited for more so I'm being impatient.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    It's late here... I waited for another Pixology demo... and it's the same stuff... (at least for now). I'm going to bed. I want some sculpting awesomness :<
  • SecretPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But somehow complaining about the complaining has more merit? Its perfectly acceptable to state an opinion on a piece of software that many people have a good deal of personal investment in. What is ridiculous is popping in and attacking someone for simply stating their opinion. Have some respect for others and make a counter point, don't simply insult them because you disagree with their opinion

Not once did I initiate an insult if you saw it that way, quite sensitive I must say(but really my apologies). I commented to hopefully stop a train of cries and complaints. Really how simple can it be, don't use it.

My bet and it was heading there already with zbrush; people that wanted new features were asking for more control and elusive hard surface modeling inside the tool. Crying about it is not going to change a thing, when clearly they have a vision some customers are not comprehending at the moment.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Some of those poly modelling tools look cool, being able to put those cylindrical holes in radial symmetry is impressive. Also rotating those extrusions around the cylinder was pretty badass.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I really don't like that Pixologic are adding new features to a software that could really use some ground base rework and basic features presented in any other graphical application like folders. Instead of box modeling tools I'd love to see folders, new UI and performance optimisations.

Also, will there be a proper Wireframe view mode for poly modeling? What about vertices selections? I can't imagine modeling anything proper without that.
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    I really don't like that Pixologic are adding new features to a software that could really use some ground base rework and basic features presented in any other graphical application like folders. Instead of box modeling tools I'd love to see folders, new UI and performance optimisations.

Also, will there be a proper Wireframe view mode for poly modeling? What about vertices selections? I can't imagine modeling anything proper without that.

I never expected any big UI updates to be implemented before a major release. I'm confident/hopeful we will get UI updates in zbrush 5.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Please inform me if any student or price things happen
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    The overarching trend I'm seeing is that they're trying increase their utility in areas outside of character art. (There's obviously some overlap though.) I doubt you could get CAD like precision, but in many cases you just need a piece of blocking geometry as a proportion guide to get started. If ZBrush wants to help me bang out base meshes AND lay in secondary elements faster, I'm not complaining.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Subtool Folder please T_T
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I love the ui. I know it's a little strange compared to other programs but Everything is the way it is for a reason. I hope that don't change it up, except for if they are streamlining things. Folders, better layers etc would be amazing.

I should say that I hope they don't change it up just to make it more accessible at the cost of speed, which I don't imagine they will do. If they change it up because they legit think they have found a better and faster way to work with their tools, I'm all for it.
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    While the UI needs an update yes, the way Zbrush has it's UI is actually quite intelligent. It's not that Zbrush's UI is wrong or anything. It's just that ZBrush has it's own language for everything. Same way Autodesk has its own language for its tools/UI. So I think an overhaul isn't needed, but organization is welcomed and just to make it alot neater.
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeadClot polycounter lvl 9
    So I missed the first and second day stream.

Can anyone give me the lowdown on what they added to ZBrush?

I cannot find anything feature wise about it on their site :\
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    HeadClot wrote: »
    So I missed the first and second day stream.

Can anyone give me the lowdown on what they added to ZBrush?

I cannot find anything feature wise about it on their site :\

day 1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v3714_DrCs

day2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btMLA4Z8WOE

Low down is streamlined modeling tools, extruding, edgeloops, bridging..the whole shebang. A bridge to keyshot and a special keyshot deal for $250. Oh and the real topping on the cake... 64bit.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I'm actually pretty psyched about the poly modeling tools in ZB, at first I was thinking "Great....something that I can easily do in [Insert 3D app here], why bother?"

...but, it looks like the process is kept fairly streamlined and if you can do it all in one app, all the better :D
  • Saf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saf polycounter lvl 11
    Best software for the artist, every time they show something new.
    There is always feeling that if the feature or a bug are not urgent, it can be postponed.
    But basically we love them for the alien system of decision-making. We always have alternative in the form of 3d coat or Mudbox.
    ZBrush 5 wishlist: changes in the UI, camera with real perspective, improve retopology, improve uv, fbx, ptex, opensubdiv, fix bugs, etc...
    By the way, Keyshot for 250$ will be the full HD version?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 Danny Williams presentation :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    The UI should change in my opinion. That's one thing Mudbox has over Zbrush is the UI.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    I suspect the keyshot will be a zbrush only, possibly slimmed down version.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Another Pixologic demo starting in a few minutes, with a promise of 'showing features we haven't demoed already' at the end of the last presentation. Hopefully it's not just more tools in their new box modeling toolset.
  • Barnacles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wether we get r7 or 5 its going to be good stuff and always getting better.
    Sculptris comments were interesting and having the guy onboard who created sculptris must mean there is an interest there with ideas for development. Exciting stuff. Love the kermit giff. That says it all for me.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Array Mesh looks cool, I think it will make doing tileable textures with insert meshes a lot easier.

The stroke repeating stuff is simple but super useful.

Surface noise improvements are nice too.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    Pixologic guys stated that these are just a "sneak peek" of some of the features in the next release of 4R7. So I await in much excitement of what will come.