Home Adobe Substance

Substance - Bug Reports and Feature Requests

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jerc interpolator
There are currently 2 ways to report bugs:
  • In Substance Painter, through the Help > Report Bug menu.
  • For every other Allegorithmic tool, the little green tab on the right of this page allows you to report bugs too.
You can also complain in this thread of course :) but going through one of these paths will ensure that your bug lands in our bug tracking system as quickly as possible.

Feel free to use this thread to post feature requests for both Substance Painter and Designer too.

Replies

• Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Is there a roadmap or trello board somewhere? I know there was one somewhere on, the steam forum? I think?

While we are consolidating things into sub forums and sticky's a Roadmap or maybe a public Trello board may be a good idea.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    We are currently putting together something similar to Trello, in the meantime, there is a rough roadmap here.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    alt - right click brush resizing like photoshop would be awesome....I hate those brackets :)
  • Monophobe
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    seth. wrote: »
    alt - right click brush resizing like photoshop would be awesome....I hate those brackets :)

Already in:
    Ctrl + right click resizes your brush
    Ctrl + left click changes the brush flow
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I'd love to be able to save baking presets, and to be able to change parameters like high poly / cage meshes and ray distances for all of the baking thingies at once!
  • JamesTKirk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    Would be great if you added an option to rotate environment with shift key to substance designer.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I'd love to be able to save baking presets, and to be able to change parameters like high poly / cage meshes and ray distances for all of the baking thingies at once!
    This is one of the very next task in our pipe.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Monophobe wrote: »
    Already in:
    Ctrl + right click resizes your brush
    Ctrl + left click changes the brush flow

heheheh that teaches me for not reading the doc's then....thanks for the heads up :D
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Really glad you guys got a section just for Substance Users...that sounds wrong. After getting close and personal with Substance Painter over the last few days (Titan), I encountered some issues or rather features that could have helped. Primarily painting on an alpha channel for transparency, as well as being able to load tgas with such information attached. The other was a brush workflow that allowed for the hand painted texture style as well.

Loving Painter though. It can fall under the "where have you been all my life" categories.
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Substance_UvMasking.JPG

Hey, I realize this is probably a pain because of the projection, but is there anyway to paint where that brush is... or just straight up switch off the uv mask ?
    Its making it tricky to paint gently a long the edge and push in.
    The program itself is freaking awesome XD

Or am I just being blind and there is a button already for me like my last question.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yep, change your brush Alignment setting to UV and its Size Space to Texture and it will work like a traditional painting tool. It won't remove the UV mask though.
  • electricsauce
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    Would it possible to get a detail normal map in substance designer?
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Electricsauce: Use the "Normal Blend" node and blend between the base one and a detail one that you can tile with the transformation 2D node.

Are you guys thinking about supporting another type of compression inside unreal 4, I find that I get some nasty artifacts working with it now, might not be to visible in a game but since I am working on a scene I want the highest quality.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    We will probably first allow you to have uncompressed normals while we are looking into improving the compression itself.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    great news :)

Something I asked on the other thread, not sure if it got overlooked:

"Also I would be able to tell substance to default to tga for bakes, so I don't have to switch it from png each time and being setting the to default to linked instead of embedded.

One more thing, be able to chose the bake folder inside substance, cause now I have created my own folders inside my graph, but when I bake it makes a new one with the mesh name and all that."
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Refactoring the Baking options is in progress right now and should make it in time for 4.5.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I'd like a way to pipe stroke information into a parameter to a material in Substance material mode, so that you could e.g. vary saturation with how long the stroke is so far.

Edit: also a way to align the brush mask with the direction of the stroke would be nice to have.
  • FrancisR
    Offline / Send Message
    FrancisR polycounter lvl 2
    A way to see values calculated inside function nodes would improve legibility tremendously when creating new empty nodes.

For example if two float value nodes are added together, seeing the result in the addition node would help.

Some sample FX graphs do some very interesting things but it's very hard to understand the maths without seeing the graph do it's magic.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Also a quick way to convert a fill layer into a paint layer would be nice to have.
  • Ispheria
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    FrancisR wrote: »
    A way to see values calculated inside function nodes would improve legibility tremendously when creating new empty nodes.

For example if two float value nodes are added together, seeing the result in the addition node would help.

Some sample FX graphs do some very interesting things but it's very hard to understand the maths without seeing the graph do it's magic.

This. Sometimes when I'm doing some simple math stuff I need to recheck everything I'm doing because this isn't a thing yet. Also, it would be cool if the picture in the math nodes were like, math stuff instead of just white. Like if you're using an addition node thing, instead of having a white square for it, having a plus sign instead. Maybe it's just me but I think it would be easier for people.
  • Teessider
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys,

I'm having some problems in Substance Designer with some of my normal maps:
    TQNsXbh.png

I'm trying to combine multiple bakes into one map using my own versions on the Normal Combine nodes (it still shows the errors with them nodes too).

When I drag them from the Explorer view into the 3D view they work fine. However, when I "view in 3D" from within my graph then they show up with some strange artifacts.

I tried them in a brand new graph but still the same results.

I've tried changing the output format of the graph and individual nodes to 16bits but still the same result.

I've also tried changing the engine from Direct3D to SSE2 and baking in them to see if that fixed it. It didn't.

I've also tried masking out the areas where the affected areas but same results.

I've even tried using a cage or increasing the raycast distance to see if that fixed it. It didn't.

I've tried changing the shader itself to see if it was that but that didn't fix it either.

In order to try and reproduce the errors, I exported a plane and a high poly version (a plane slicing through a sphere) and baked that within SD without a cage and it works perfectly fine!

I'm at a stumbling block here so any help would be much appreciated :)
  • Uzziel
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Teessider,

Can you try to bake your normal map in PNG (as this format allows 16 bits)?
    If you process your normal map in the graph, be sure the next filters are also in 16 Bits per channel (the yellow link is bigger in 16b).
  • Teessider
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Uzziel

I've just tried baking out my normal map as a PNG but it still shows artifacts (although different from before) and I made sure the graph/node was in 16bits too.

CUTavyJ.png
  • Uzziel
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Teessider wrote: »
    Hi Uzziel

I've just tried baking out my normal map as a PNG but it still shows artifacts (although different from before) and I made sure the graph/node was in 16bits too.

Be sure to use the normal on your low poly mesh to get a correct preview, as the baking was based on it.
    This kind of artifact can be due to the difference between your high/low poly (maybe you already read it but here is a good thread about the subject: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154).
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm. I can't seem to copy and paste nodes from one graph to another. In the example I am trying to copy across different packages but it doesn't work if it's the same package either. Am I doing something wrong?

MVcLQXl.png

52jhc3C.png
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm one of those odd times where you just need to restart the program.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Yeah, it's one of those little bug that is hard to catch unfortunately.
    This is the only workaround for the moment.
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    I'm having a problem with my previously saved materials. All of them have lost their graphs. When I hover over one, it says "A substance must contain at least one Graph."

I'm in something of a panic, because all of my materials DID have graphs before, and I rely on the dozens I created for projects.

I've tried restoring the default paths, and changing the engine. What's going on here?

Current version is v4.4.1 (Steam).
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Did you move your nodes somewhere else on your harddrive?
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    Not that I know of. I haven't touched anything since last time I used SD.

[EDIT - SOLVED] Right, I figured it out. Apparently one of the updates changed how you access the graphs; I kept clicking and dragging to the window expecting the graph to show up like it used to, but you can't do that any more. Doubleclicking also didn't work. You have to select the graph and hit enter.

[Edit 2] ....aaaand the doubleclicking issue was actually a problem with something else, ffs. So problem was a combination of user error and a mouse setting, not SD.
  • amokk_gw
    I would really love to expose gradient maps or certain colors of a gradient map to the end user. Are there any plans for this feature? I assume I'm not the only one that misses this.
  • DeepSpaceBanana
    Offline / Send Message
    DeepSpaceBanana polycounter
    EArkham wrote: »
    Not that I know of. I haven't touched anything since last time I used SD.

[EDIT - SOLVED] Right, I figured it out. Apparently one of the updates changed how you access the graphs; I kept clicking and dragging to the window expecting the graph to show up like it used to, but you can't do that any more. Doubleclicking also didn't work. You have to select the graph and hit enter.

[Edit 2] ....aaaand the doubleclicking issue was actually a problem with something else, ffs. So problem was a combination of user error and a mouse setting, not SD.

lol you were accidentaly trying to open the published SBSAR file inside SD weren't you?. I killed an entire day until i finally realised how stupid i was.
  • Teessider
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel wrote: »
    Be sure to use the normal on your low poly mesh to get a correct preview, as the baking was based on it.
    This kind of artifact can be due to the difference between your high/low poly (maybe you already read it but here is a good thread about the subject: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154).

Hey

That is a great read that thread. I've made sure my low poly matches my high poly as close as possible.

I went back and made sure it wasn't due to not having a cage however I'm still getting artifacts.

In another attempt to track down the problem I also exported my meshes as OBJs (to see if FBX was causing problems). Interestingly, I still get artifacts but they are a bit different:

OBJ is on the left and FBX is on the right:

FNBq48M.png

However (as I've said previously), if you drag the normal maps from the Explorer and apply them to the 3D view (in the normal slot) then they work great!

I've also found that if I export them out from SD, I get the same artifacts in Marmoset Toolbag 2 too.

I can send you a link to my meshes if you would like too.
  • Uzziel
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Teessider,

About the differences between OBJ/FBX: with FBX format, you have the possibility to export the "Tangents and Binormals".
    If you do so, SD will use them and it can leads to some differences between the ones you provide versus the ones "created" by SD (that will be used with OBJ format, or FBX if you didn't export them).

Regarding the difference between the explorer and the graph:
    - if you use "jpg" compression for your bitmap (in the resource properties), your graph node will necessary output 8bits even if the node/graph is set on 16b per channel.
    When you use the compression, the preview will only be available in the graph (not from the explorer). You can change the "Bitmap Compression Quality" value (to something around 0.99 ), and use "F5" shortcut in SD to clear the cache of the graph; then you'll be able to have a correct preview of your normal.
    - if your bitmap is set on "raw": could you please check the engine you use using "F9" shortcut: to know if you use the CPU (SSE2) or GPU (Direct3D10) engine?

Thanks
  • Robbie222
    Offline / Send Message
    Robbie222 polycounter lvl 3
    Hey, I have played around a bit ...imported some meshes and at some point SB 4 crashed.

Ever since it crashes whenever I create new substance or whenever 3d view loads.

The crash error looks like this :
    3d5b01f840.png

I have checked and updated the video driver, tried restarting , reinstalling and removing the Relief files from the Shader folder.

Update : I unchecked the "View outputs when opening a graph" option and it works fine up until the view port opens when I double click the mesh. What is strange is that it worked fine before...even when it had a mesh loaded and I was UV mapping in Maya.

Update 2 : I can even bake maps ....without 3d view port and once I try open it , in 1 sec it crashes after it loads.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Could you try to load an environment map from the library in one of your graph and then right-click on it and choose "View in 3D view -> Panorama" to see if it fix the crash ?
  • Robbie222
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »
    Could you try to load an environment map from the library in one of your graph and then right-click on it and choose "View in 3D view -> Panorama" to see if it fix the crash ?

Hey,

Not sure exacly what u mean but I created new substance , dragged&dropped from library into the graph an image from enviroments and right clicked on it > view in 3d view.

The 3d view started loading, I can see the mesh , the image and then it crashes.( just like before)

I am using a GT 540M graphic card. I even tried reinstalling the previous version of the driver.

Here is a bit of the console :

5cdd268be3.jpg
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Robbie222 wrote: »
    Hey,

Not sure exacly what u mean but I created new substance , dragged&dropped from library into the graph an image from enviroments and right clicked on it > view in 3d view.

The 3d view started loading, I can see the mesh , the image and then it crashes.( just like before)

Okay, this crash is "kinda" normal (I got it too, it will be fixed), but does the 3D View load now when you restart Designer once you did this manipulation ?

If this still doesn't work could you also try to remove/move your preferences too ? (They are located in C:\Users\*usernamme*\AppData\Local\Allegorithmic\Substance-Designer\4 )
  • Robbie222
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried that too , nothing changed.

A bit more of the console , should see the all the errors now:

4072d108e3.png
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Okay thanks. Were you able to load and use the PBR shader before the crash ? Could you post your log (or send it to me via PM) ?

Maybe you default graphic card switched to the integrated Intel chipset instead of the nVidia GPU. The best way to avoid that is to create a profile for Designer in the nVidia drivers settings and set the type of GPU manually.
  • Robbie222
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »
    Okay thanks. Were you able to load and use the PBR shader before the crash ? Could you post your log (or send it to me via PM) ?

Maybe you default graphic card switched to the integrated Intel chipset instead of the nVidia GPU. The best way to avoid that is to create a profile for Designer in the nVidia drivers settings and set the type of GPU manually.

Sent PM. Thank you for helping!
  • Robbie222
    Offline / Send Message
    Still need help fixing this :(
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Robbie222 wrote: »
    Still need help fixing this :(

We found the problem when talking in PM, so I'm pasting the solution for everyone.

The problem was because designer was able to load the PBR shader, but for some reason the GPU switched to the integrated chipset of the laptop and therefor Designer was not able to load the shader and crashed. We have a check for this case normally when the user click in the menu of the viewport, but we didn't expected the GPU can change later. this will be fixed in a next update. :)

Anyway, to workaround this problem do just do these steps :
    1 - Open the nVidia control panel (from your start menu for example)
    2 - Go to "Manage 3D Settings"
    3 - In program settings create a new profile (by clicking "add" and locate "substance_designer.exe"
    4 - If available, set "Preferred graphics processor" to your nVidia GPU.
  • amokk_gw
    amokk_gw wrote: »
    I would really love to expose gradient maps or certain colors of a gradient map to the end user. Are there any plans for this feature? I assume I'm not the only one that misses this.

I just wanted to ask again, if this feature is planned? :)
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    Exposing the gradient as it is is not planned and actually not possible: it would require a gradient editor (select/move/delete keys, change the color..etc) in each integration (UE4, 3ds, maya..etc) and this is hardly doable.

However, what we plan to add is a gradient node with a secondary input and coordinate parameter: the gradient node will sample the pixel values in 1 dimension in the image at the given coordinate. Can't give any date for when it'll be implemented though..
  • amokk_gw
    NicolasW wrote: »
    However, what we plan to add is a gradient node with a secondary input and coordinate parameter: the gradient node will sample the pixel values in 1 dimension in the image at the given coordinate. Can't give any date for when it'll be implemented though..

That's fine, hearing that you guys have this issue on the agenda is already great. Cause the gradient maps are a great feature, I'm glad that you have some love for it. :)
  • electricsauce
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    The texture input for the substance plugin doesn't seem to work in Unreal Engine. I'm trying to use a substance to manipulate textures that exist in the editor.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Currently you can't load Texture2D objects in a texture input (it's planned, but not implemented yet), that's why you need to load your textures as Substance textures in the content browser.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey guys,

If you have some bitmaps in the Resources folder and for some reason you move them around, the PKG Resource Path gets broken and it becomes a blank image. Would it be possible to have it properly reassign the paths as you move?
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Other one: When trying to mess around with FX Maps, setting the Tiling Region all the way to 1 locks my computer up
    SD_Fxmap_Tilingregion.png