Home Adobe Substance

Substance - Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Replies

• StereoVinny
    Offline / Send Message
    StereoVinny polycounter lvl 9
    Hey there guys,

I've been using SD's latest build (5.0.1) and I'm having an issue with an input parameters I'm trying to setup. Essentially, when I place my custom node inside another graph, the default values for the Float3 sliders I'm setuping are not being used and are clamped between 0 and 1.

vin

EDIT: I should probably add that the substance was originally created in 4.6 and worked as intended. I've tried to re-save it in the latest version assuming it might be a compatibility issue, with no luck however.
  • WarrenM
    Painter 1.3.1
    - It would be great to have a button that would reset a map back to it's default parameters in the map baking dialog. I sometimes play with options and then realize I have no way to get back to what the default was.
  • Son Kim
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    Painter 1.3.1 Baking bug.

Baking crash if you're cage mesh doesn't have UV map.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Thanks for the reports, we are looking into it.
  • JackDCaron
    Offline / Send Message
    JackDCaron polycounter lvl 4
    I'm using the geometry decal tool in 1.3 and my wireframe doesn't show in the 2d editor window. Shows up fine on the 3d model, any ideas?
  • tungerz
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Just curious,
    Should updates for 5.0.0 get overridden by 5.x.x updates, or accumulate?
    desinger5.0.1.jpg

Cheers,
    ~Tung
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    They should be overridden, probably a mistake on our part in the installer for the shortcut creation..
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    In painter 1.3, pressing the none aditional maps button in the baker options,
    makes it so I can't bake maps even if you turn then on again.
    However once I press all it works again.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    In painter 1.3, pressing the none aditional maps button in the baker options,
    makes it so I can't bake maps even if you turn then on again.
    However once I press all it works again.

This has been fixed with the 1.3.1. Please download the latest versions.
    I'm working on the changelog for 1.3, 1.3.1 and 1.3.2 just to be clear about what we exactly changed. I didn't had the time to do it because of the crazy GDC. :)
  • StereoVinny
    Offline / Send Message
    StereoVinny polycounter lvl 9
    OK, so a little more info on the issues with the Input Parameters I'm having in SD 5.0.1

I tried with Float1, Float2, Float3 and Float4. Float1 seems to work as expected, however, all the other Float Inputs get clamped beween 0 and 1 instead of the min/max values when using the clamp option.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Froyok wrote: »
    This has been fixed with the 1.3.1. Please download the latest versions.
    I'm working on the changelog for 1.3, 1.3.1 and 1.3.2 just to be clear about what we exactly changed. I didn't had the time to do it because of the crazy GDC. :)

I have download the latest version now, works fine.

But a problem I had lately.
    e8eeAy4.png
    This happened around the time of the 1.2 update, not quite sure.

Can't remember anything that has changed on my pc, tried disabling my firewall and my anti virus software and making custom firewall rules, not luck.
  • Coontang
    Offline / Send Message
    Coontang polycounter lvl 5
    I just updated to Unreal 4.7.2 and got the latest Substance plug-in. I am having an issue where if I re-import a substance and then close and re-open my scene the updates from re-importing are lost.
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    When I drag a graph onto a 3d object in the preview window, and that object has multiple materials, I have to drag the graph onto each material one at a time.

Is there an option to drag a graph and have it apply to ALL materials on that object? Obviously, only as an option, since dragging individual graphs to individual materials is also useful... it's just a bit tedious if you're working on a model with many material groups.

If not, can we get that as a new feature?
  • wes.sau
    Painter 1.3.2 build 650:

Can anyone verify if baking using "Match by Sub Meshes Name" works? it seems broken for me. I noticed there's no preferences to set the high and low names, so for my meshes I used the Designer 5.0 defaults with no caps. Still not working.
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    @stereoVinny: thanks for the report, will be fixed in 5.0.2

@EArkham: you can remove all materials from the object (it does not affect your model data) by going in the 3D View / materials / Remove All. This way you'll have only one material.

@wes.sau: it's a known issue. SP uses a different system for loading meshes and meshes name are no longer available after import. We'll fix this for 1.3.3 (or 1.3.4). Sorry about that!
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I have download the latest version now, works fine.

But a problem I had lately.
    e8eeAy4.png
    This happened around the time of the 1.2 update, not quite sure.

Can't remember anything that has changed on my pc, tried disabling my firewall and my anti virus software and making custom firewall rules, not luck.

We though this issue was fixed with Painter 1.3 (introduced in Painter 1.2) but it looks like it's not. We will look into it again for the 1.3.3.
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW wrote: »
    @EArkham: you can remove all materials from the object (it does not affect your model data) by going in the 3D View / materials / Remove All. This way you'll have only one material.

Thanks for the tip.

In Substance Painter, does "invert mask background" work as intended? If I add a white mask to a folder, paint on some black bits, and then try to invert the mask, it just makes it all solid black. I was expecting it would simply invert everything.

Seems to work correctly on a fill layer, but not on folders.

[Edit] Nevermind about the filter question; apparently they're under generators now.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    That's why it's called "Invert background" and not "Invert mask". ;)
    The best to invert a mask is to add a level and click on the invert button in it.
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »
    That's why it's called "Invert background" and not "Invert mask". ;)
    The best to invert a mask is to add a level and click on the invert button in it.

Hrm, that seems a little unintuitive, but I can deal with it. :)

In other news, can we get some more options for baking curvature maps?

I'm noticing that some meshes will create very triangulated curvature maps, especially curved pieces (cylinders, such as on gun barrels, etc) but it's noticeable on meshes of all sorts. Example (these are supposed to be completely flat polygons): http://i.imgur.com/sQxIdjn.jpg

Some sort of option for smoothing that out would be extremely nice.

I don't really remember this happening before, but it's possible it's always happened and I just never tweaked my curvature-based filters enough to notice it as a problem.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Baking the curvature should be clean enough if you have a normal map. Either by backing the normal map at the same time as the curvature or by having a normal loaded in the additional map slots.

If you get something where the polygon are visible as in your example, it's because the normal map wasn't loaded or because the setting in the baker is set to "per vertex" instead of "per pixels".
  • Voidspawn
    Offline / Send Message
    Voidspawn polycounter lvl 5
    So smart materials are cool, but... they really need a few upgrades such as 'update from current' similar to what brushes have. And that in turn updating the material across all your projects.

Also, being able to apply/"bake" down generators into bitmap masks or some other non destructive way of being able to add/remove from a mask affected by generators/effects would be great. Currently it's a big thing standing in the way of being able to take advantage of effects while still retaining the freedom of handpainting.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Voidspawn wrote: »
    So smart materials are cool, but... they really need a few upgrades such as 'update from current' similar to what brushes have.
    This is doable.
    And that in turn updating the material across all your projects.
    This is more complicated. Inside a single project it could be doable, across multiple projects I don't believe it will because once a smart materials is inside your layer stack, it's just regular layers.

Also, being able to apply/"bake" down generators into bitmap masks or some other non destructive way of being able to add/remove from a mask affected by generators/effects would be great. Currently it's a big thing standing in the way of being able to take advantage of effects while still retaining the freedom of handpainting.
    We have something planned that will allow to paint over mask generators.
  • Meteorkid
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteorkid polycounter lvl 11
    Just one small suggestion, having the project name show up somewhere like most programs do. :)
    example:
    k76IYeJ.jpg
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    You mean for Substance Painter ? That's currently in development. :)
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    Substance Designer 5 somehow has become completely unusable for me.

When I start it up, whether I have a package open or not, and I browse the favourites list -- for example, the very first category of Generators -> Noise, I get about six instances of sbscooker running in the background, eating up 100% of the CPU.

If I let it be, thinking it'll do what it needs to and finish, it runs for a solid 3-5 minutes before several instances of sbsrender start up. At this point, my computer completely locks up -- as in, I can't alt-tab, I can't use the mouse, I can't cntrl-alt-delete. I can't do anything except hard reboot.

What's most frustrating (besides the deadline I have coming up tonight which I will miss, heh) is that SD5 seemed to be completely fine earlier in the week when I used it last.

This is repeatable. It will happen every time I open SD5, starting today.

Specs: Intel i7 4770K, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 w/ 4 GB, 16 GB system RAM, all drivers are up to date far as I'm aware.

[Edit] I found a thread on the Allegorithmic forums that sounds remarkably like my problem. It suggests changing icons to small and turning off labels. This did not help me at all; the problem persists.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Could you try deleting everything under C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\5\databases ?
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    Could you try deleting everything under C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\5\databases ?

That seems to have done the trick.

Looks like it's got to rebuild all the thumbs again, which makes it a touch laggy while it does that, but the sbscooker isn't going nuts, nor is SD locking up.

Thanks!
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Feature Request:
    Correct me, if this is a feature already and i just haven't spotted it.
    I'd like to see a substance node that collects non exposed parameters of another node and lets you tweak them.

For example say i have the tile generator node, i got some tiles i like, and i want to add some random mask. Currently what i'm doing is just duplicating the node, making the adjustments and then continuing, it's not to tedious to propagate any changes i make, but this would be much more handy.

God i hope this makes sense, it sounded more logical in my head.
  • Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Bug Report:

Started to set up my export pipeline and went into the configuration tab on the Export options and made adjustments. Well it so happens those adjustments didn't work and I probably should've tried keeping it as is first. I go back into Painter and right click to go into Exporting all channels again and now Painter is crashing everytime I do that. I tried looking for a way to set the exporter back to default in hopes this wouldn't crash Painter anymore, but I don't see that option. Already filed bug report officially through Substance Painter's bug report, but I'm trying to find a solution soon because I'm working on my Throne room. The only solution I can think of right now is to uninstall and reinstall Substance Painter to reset it.

Thank you in advance

-Stosh
  • WarrenM
    Just one small suggestion, having the project name show up somewhere like most programs do.
    LOL, that's funny, I came here to request the same thing. I got pissed off last night when I couldn't figure out which damned painter file I had open at the time. :)
  • Meteorkid
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteorkid polycounter lvl 11
    Ive been noticing odd things about the file sizes. I can work on a document which is 270mb not add any layers but instead just paint on a existing layer. I do this for about 2-3 hours. the document save file is now 320mb. I didn't think i was adding that much to the document. Do project files save history states? I just ask because i don't really need to do that much and the project size grows a lot. Maybe I'm paranoid?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Stosh wrote: »
    Bug Report:

Started to set up my export pipeline and went into the configuration tab on the Export options and made adjustments. Well it so happens those adjustments didn't work and I probably should've tried keeping it as is first. I go back into Painter and right click to go into Exporting all channels again and now Painter is crashing everytime I do that. I tried looking for a way to set the exporter back to default in hopes this wouldn't crash Painter anymore, but I don't see that option. Already filed bug report officially through Substance Painter's bug report, but I'm trying to find a solution soon because I'm working on my Throne room. The only solution I can think of right now is to uninstall and reinstall Substance Painter to reset it.

Thank you in advance

-Stosh

We are currently looking into this crash, multiple users reported it to us. We don't have a fix yet. I don't think reverting your global settings back tot default will have any effect unfortunately.

Meteorkid wrote: »
    Ive been noticing odd things about the file sizes. I can work on a document which is 270mb not add any layers but instead just paint on a existing layer. I do this for about 2-3 hours. the document save file is now 320mb. I didn't think i was adding that much to the document. Do project files save history states? I just ask because i don't really need to do that much and the project size grows a lot. Maybe I'm paranoid?

That's because of how our project file format works. Every data is saved into chunck of 64kb. This is the best method for us to get a compressed file while having a very quick saving time. If you want to get rid of the unused space, just do a simple "save as" (even better if you do a clean before).
  • GhosTDoG
    Offline / Send Message
    GhosTDoG polycounter lvl 6
    Painter Bug Report:

When you expand your UI Layout (Layer Menu) on a second monitor, you can't arrange/move/drag the layers anymore.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    GhosTDoG wrote: »
    Painter Bug Report:

When you expand your UI Layout (Layer Menu) on a second monitor, you can't arrange/move/drag the layers anymore.
    We are already aware of this issue. We are still looking into a fix for it unfortunately. :(
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    Newest version of Substance Designer 5.0.2 build 15545 won't let me drag and drop elements within the Explorer window (as you would do when reorganizing folders and resources).

The changelog mentioned there was a drag & drop problem with Windows 8, and that it would be fixed on restarting SD, but I'm on Windows 7 and the problem persists even after restarting (several times now).

I have no problems with drag & drop from Explorer -> graph or 3d view, or Library -> graph.
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham wrote: »
    Newest version of Substance Designer 5.0.2 build 15545 won't let me drag and drop elements within the Explorer window (as you would do when reorganizing folders and resources).

The changelog mentioned there was a drag & drop problem with Windows 8, and that it would be fixed on restarting SD, but I'm on Windows 7 and the problem persists even after restarting (several times now).

I have no problems with drag & drop from Explorer -> graph or 3d view, or Library -> graph.

Just to be sure: is your package locked ?
  • allaze-eroler
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    i see that the crack weathering is still not fixed.... i used substance designer 4.6 as trial version 6 months ago which it did worked but when i finally bough substance live 5 indie edition. it's no longer working... atleast, for the crack weathering.

by the way, there the file so you can study why it didn't worked.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14183130/naga_quest/castle_ruin_test.sbs

i hope it will help you to fix the problem :)

ps: the file i share is for my game project naga quest that i'm been working on and it will be soon open up Under this licence : http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/ hope it wouldn't make any problem with it ^^;
  • Michael Knubben
    I docked the library, Parameters and Explorer window together (so overlapping, tabbed), and when I try to click on something in the Explorer it activates underlying text boxes in the Parameters window (and then switches to that tab)

This is in SD5
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to be sure: is your package locked ?

Not that I'm aware of. I added a new object and bakes, tweaked one of the graphs, and saved it; only thing I can't seem to do is move the stuff around in the explorer window.

Huh. Okay, I just now went into SD5 to see if I could find some more info for you, and accidentally noticed that if I drag the item I want to move OUT of the explorer window and back into it, I could now rearrange it as normal.

But if I select another item, I won't be able to arrange that until I drag it out of the explorer window and back into it.

So it appears to be a window focus problem.
  • walter
    Offline / Send Message
    walter polycounter lvl 14
    In Substance Painter,
    Baking Ambient occlusion with Antialiasing setting to Subsampling crash Painter.
    No problem when Antialiasing was set-up to none.
    Voil
  • WarrenM
    Suggestion : If I'm typing into a field, don't send my keypresses to the hovered over viewport. Basically, what happens is that I double click a layer because I want to rename it. I shuffle my stylus around in my hand so I can type easier ... this moves the mouse cursor over the main viewport. Now I start typing and I'm sending countless random commands to the viewport before I know what's happening.

If a text field is accepting input, it should continue doing so regardless of where the mouse pointer is ... does that make sense?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    walter wrote: »
    In Substance Painter,
    Baking Ambient occlusion with Antialiasing setting to Subsampling crash Painter.
    No problem when Antialiasing was set-up to none.
    Voil
  • Bruno Afonseca
    In SD 5 if I try to maximize a window on the second monitor it behaves really oddly and I can't resize it anymore. Dragging it around makes it shrink!
  • walter
    Offline / Send Message
    walter polycounter lvl 14
    OK. No problem when Baking from Scratch.
    Thanks a lot !
  • vankor
    Offline / Send Message
    vankor polycounter lvl 9
    Problems with exported maps in unity:

1.metallic map that coming from substance painter too metallic and dark

2.roughness map too much shininess . Here is fix https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=4335.msg20602#msg20602

But maybe possible do embedded calibration with unity in "export all channels"
  • Bruno Afonseca
    SD_Angle.png

Angle spinners give those weird values to me very often, but they fix themselves if you select something else and then go back to it
  • CoD67
    Offline / Send Message
    CoD67 polycounter lvl 4
    Feature Request:
    I'd like to be able to bake normal map using some kind of Rounded shader like in Modo . It will save me a tons of time modeling small props :D .
    You can find more about it in this thread : http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71995
    Thanks
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    SD_Angle.png

Angle spinners give those weird values to me very often, but they fix themselves if you select something else and then go back to it

Hi Bruno,

I've also witnessed this bug but haven't found a 100% repro case.
    Any help on this would be very much appreciated!
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I'm using Substance Designer 5.0.2 with the indie license. I'm trying to follow this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F0VWM6qGg8&feature=youtu.be

When trying to use the Edge Detect node (he starts talking about it at around 1:30 in the video), I can't get any details to show up if my resolution is above 2048. 2048 and below shows edge detection, though the results are extremely noisy.

I've tried using Edge Detect on other projects and the results are very consistent across all of them.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hi Bruno,

I've also witnessed this bug but haven't found a 100% repro case.
    Any help on this would be very much appreciated!

I'll let you know if I find a 100% repro. Seems random so far!

Another one - when you try to play the substance in substance player and you don't have the player installed, the link takes you to 404 error: https://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-player