Home Quixel Megascans

Quixel SUITE - News

Replies

• acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
    For those that have purchased nDo and dDo; I apologize if this question has been answered already; but, will the Suite be at a discount price or some other benefit to users of the current software?
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
    I'm also curious about this as well. I've been building textures that include Emissive maps and I've gotten in a habit of stacking layers on top of what dDo creates. I know eventually, I'll run into the same situation as he does. Now that I think about it, I've restarted projects because I forgot to add this or that to my Color Map.
    Beddall wrote: »
    Hey,

I've been slogging away at the ddo beta all day, and I gotta say I LOVE IT :)

I do have a couple of questions that i'd really like some help with tho. they may be simple but after 15 hours of looking at the screen i may be a bit braindead.

1. let's say, for example, I have just textured up a badass machine gun in ddo, got my materials assigned, weather effects are looking awesome etc... now what I want is some red vinyl 'go faster' stripes down the length of the gun and a '13'. Is there a way to manually edit a blank mask other than editing it directly in photoshop? this seems to be the only way yet is totally destructive. i can't layer masks to add separate elements?

2. now that my gun is looking total badass, what it really needs is a full colour sticker on the stock that says 'BADASS!' in rainbow colours, and is ripped up so needs to be masked out with an alpha.... what is the work flow for this? The only way i can think is to add things like this in photoshop later, once the maps have been exported. (but I may be braindead, remember?)

Any help with these would be greatly appreciated.

loving the tool so far. Awesome job.

cheers
  • Mohammad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XrAeSWc.jpg

hmmmm
    NDO cant good working
    Whats wrong my photoshop

What can i do for remained?
  • Mohammad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XrAeSWc.jpg
    hmmm
    whats wrong my photoshop
    not good woriking on my photoshop

how i fixed on my photoshop
  • SA2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SA2
    how would you suggest this happens

I am not sure what it would take to make this happen. I noticed that some of the Polycount forum members requested Substance Designer support in Maya LT back in Feb 2014 (in the Maya LT Polycount thread, see http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2007162#post2007162 ) and it was supported in the Maya LT 2015 release a month later. Autodesk has been particularly responsive to customer feedback in improving Maya LT, and its beginning to really show in the product. It only makes sense, since such third party integration improves the Maya LT product, the third party product, and the user's own capabilities while using those products.

I would like to see the same thing happen for Quixel Suite in Maya LT as happened for Substance Designer. It would undoubtedly take some sort of communication between Quixel and the Maya LT product folks at Autodesk. I don't know the technical challenges, but as I mentioned above, I am sure a tighter integration between Quixel Suite and Maya LT would make a lot of indie developers quite happy, including myself.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    I would like to see the same thing happen for Quixel Suite in Maya LT as happened for Substance Designer. It would undoubtedly take some sort of communication between Quixel and the Maya LT product folks at Autodesk. I don't know the technical challenges, but as I mentioned above, I am sure a tighter integration between Quixel Suite and Maya LT would make a lot of indie developers quite happy, including myself.

I guess what Im asking is for you to outline what you believe an optimal workflow between the Quixel Suite and Maya LT, and what the advantages of this would be.

Substance requires specific support because it provides proprietary file information that is adjustable inside Maya.

The Quixel Suite authors texture maps, are you looking for a one click import into Maya or something similar? That being said Maya offers texture updates for PSDs so you could have a model that is being fed the Quixel Texture maps currently and simply update them everytime you make an adjustment

Im also asking so I can pass on information to the LT Designers if it seems like a good avenue to pursue. I am intrigued and would like to hear how best you think the two applications could work together.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10431529_707984229269588_1860001395596994255_n.jpg?oh=8875a1b01551163f3c6b0fd4129c5dd2&oe=5425F3B6

Quixel SUITE 1.1 is HERE! Metalness support, 32 new smart materials, huge performance gains, tiling normal support, bug fixes, new sample projects and much more -- launch the SUITE & grab the update now!

Don't forget to visit the Wiki as well for sample project files to download and videos and documentation on the Suite!
    http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I opened the suite and was completely suprised by this and started dancin in my chair. THANK YOUUUU!!!!! METALNESS HYPE \0.0/
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
  • DesignByKivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DesignByKivi polycounter lvl 11
    Can we paint our own masks, as an alternative to Dynamask and other than using material color id's?

I'd really love to mask out a few selected areas only by hand, in cases when Dynamask is not the best way to go.

Worried I'd mess up the Photoshop layer structure that dDo uses if I dig in there with my own masks, without any knowledge what I'm doing.
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    Yep you can do it in Photoshop if you like, DDO will just see it as a new layer/layer mask.
  • SA2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SA2
    I guess what Im asking is for you to outline what you believe an optimal workflow between the Quixel Suite and Maya LT, and what the advantages of this would be.

Substance requires specific support because it provides proprietary file information that is adjustable inside Maya.

The Quixel Suite authors texture maps, are you looking for a one click import into Maya or something similar? That being said Maya offers texture updates for PSDs so you could have a model that is being fed the Quixel Texture maps currently and simply update them everytime you make an adjustment

Im also asking so I can pass on information to the LT Designers if it seems like a good avenue to pursue. I am intrigued and would like to hear how best you think the two applications could work together.

An optimal workflow would allow the developer to work directly within the context of the final product without having to bounce around between applications using files and constantly changing context or dealing with compatibility issues. The final product is what the developer delivers and the further you work from it and the more context switching you make, the longer it takes and the more mistakes you make.

An ideal integration between separate game development products would integrate them all within the game engine itself, and the game engine would allow development in final game mode which is the final product being delivered. This is an ideal that is far from being achieved today, but the closer we get to achieving it, the more quickly and inexpensively we can develop games.

To achieve this ideal, for instance, would mean that all art tools would work transparently and cooperatively together in the game engine, working directly on the game in its actual state. There would be no file importing or exporting, no mismatch in capabilities, no mismatch in meshes, textures, or rendering and no contention between tools.

As an example, if you were using UE4 as the engine, Maya LT and ZBrush for the modeling, and Quixel Suite/Photoshop for procedural textures, and they were ideally integrated then the workflow would have you using Maya LT directly within UE4 to build models, instantly viewing the results in the context of the final game, as you work, as needed. When you are modeling using Maya LT, the UE4 editor shows the Maya LT interface and menus. When you need to sculpt, you click a button and ZBrush capabilities appear and you work on the same models in ZBrush, in the same viewports, all using the same rendering engine that will be used in the final game. Again, there is no file importing or exporting, no mismatches between rendering capabilities or rendering output, and no contention between tools.

When it comes time to apply procedural textures using Quixel Suite, the texture capabilities within the UE4 editor would have been automatically expanded to include Quixel Suite and Photoshop when you added them to your toolset. So as you apply textures using UE4, the Quixel Megascan library, Quixel commands, and Photoshop commands are all right there, directly in the UE4 game engine, to work on producing and applying textures as needed. When Quixel Suite is operating within the context of UE4, the 3DO rendering would be replaced using the UE4 rendering, so there would be no viewport switch and no mismatching in rendering output. All the views and output by all the tools use the final game engine rendering as you model, texture, paint, animate, and develop.

As I mentioned above, the current state of game development is very far from this ideal. Every tool is its own island, with file incompatibilities, rendering incompatibilities, and feature incompatibilities. The game developer is left with having to find some common subset of features that work across the selected toolset, constantly switching contexts, making mistakes, backtracking, importing and exporting files between tools, etc. The closer we get to the above ideal, the more we will improve the game development process.

Tightly integrating Quixel Suite with Maya LT is a small step in the direction of the above ideal workflow. Ideally, it would use Maya LT’s rendering and viewports directly, operate directly on the Maya LT models, and integrate transparently with Maya LTs texture commands and menus. It would seem to the developer as if Maya LT suddenly had all of Quixel Suite’s texturing capabilities as soon as they added Quixel Suite to their toolset. All Quixel Suite operations would be performed directly in Maya LT, on the Maya LT models, and output using the Maya LT rendering in real time. All the data and file communications between Quixel Suite and Maya LT would be performed transparently and automatically behind the scenes. From the developer’s point of view, they are operating directly on the Maya LT models, in Maya LT, using Quixel Suite texturing capabilities.
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ladygrace polycounter lvl 5
    Is the suite worth buying? and have they released the Textures yet with it?
  • jztfocus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jztfocus polycounter lvl 2
    Looks really great!
  • Sija321
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, i have some issue using 3Do:
    23l1llk.jpg
    I export models from cinema 4d, and they have phong tag. When I load them into QS is visible transition betwen faces like on picture above. What is wrong?
  • Sija321
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, i have some issue using 3Do:
    23l1llk.jpg
    I export models from cinema 4d, and they have phong tag. When I load them into QS is visible transition betwen faces like on picture above. What is wrong?
  • Lokter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokter polycounter lvl 6
    I'm getting a tonne of errors when trying to edit masks since the update. Lots of things about functions not being available in Photoshop version, although everything worked perfectly beforehand. There's also errors about layers not being accesible.

I can grab some screenshots if needed later. It's not always reproduce-able though.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Ruh roh. Same here.

quixelerror1.png

quixelerror2.png
  • EAS3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey teddy,

I know you guys got your hands full. I found another bug for ya tho :( dealing with the metalness maps.
    I was able to re-create it for every project, I have roughly 5 atm and even by starting a new project.
    For whatever reason 3DO does not like metalness maps. If you start a project with metalness turned off you get accurate PBR image. However if you turn it on, all your metal materials get overly darken and broken. This will also apply to an already done project and you add a metalness map thru the add new map feature.
    You can see in the image below what i mean. This project had absolutely nothing done to it EXCEPT adding metalness maps, saving and closing. When i re-opened the project, I could not get it back (even after deleting the maps) to the original PBR look.
    pItZV6a.jpg

I was able to re-create the project by starting over and NOT adding metal maps and achieved the look from 1.0 .. When i added the metalness maps the PBR was broken once again in 3DO. When started the project again with metalness turned ON, it started off broken from the start.
    If anyone else can try this to see if im not the only one that be great. (Also would suck on my end if I am as ive spent a good few hours trying multiple test to fix this to no avail. ) A fast way is just load a up a mesh with metalness off, add a chrome material, move the light in 3DO to get a good angle, then add a metalness map in and you should experience what im saying.
    Thanks in advance to any response and the software is still awesome!
  • blumoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I installed the 1.1 update and I'm still having issues with using Shift+Left Click to select color IDs for applying materials in the 3DO previewer. I had issues with 1.0 until it suddenly started working one day (I'm not sure why, couldn't reproduce it!), and after installing 1.1 it is again not working. Anyone able to shed light on this issue?
  • Jaidek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaidek polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Guys,

Anyone else having issues with the latest version of Quixel and Photoshop 13.1.2 x64? My Photoshop was updated today and now when I launch Quixel Suite and click on DDO or NDO, the UI goes away then comes back but no documents are made in PS and nothing really happens. Then if I click on 3DO I get this:

screenshot85_zps0c83eef5.jpg

Any ideas?
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome! Is there a changelog of which smart materials you added?
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    Ruh roh. Same here.

quixelerror1.png

quixelerror2.png

I am getting the same kind of errors except mine happen when i try to create a mask on my material or add a smart material. using PS CC 14.2.1. i was able to create 1 smart material and a normal material on top before i started getting this. work res is 4096x2048 not sure if that has anything to do with it.
  • naturon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get a similar error message when I used the mossy stone smart material and then rerender my canvas to full size. Seems to only happen when its trying to rerender the mossy layers.
  • izzir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    izzir polycounter lvl 4
    I just started to use the brand new Quixel Suite which is such empowering.

Just for the tip, I figure out a quite annoying bug with nDo2.
    If you try to launch it trough Quixel Suite for the first time you won't any bevel customization which makes the program useless.

You have to go through your folder and start nDo2 as a stand-alone.
    Afterward you will be able to launch it properly within the Quixel suite menu.

Cheers
  • Jantomet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys

Just updated my Photoshop CC to the latest 2014 version. After that NDO created normal layers do not show up at all. The overall layer structure & base coloring looks the same as before.

Tested with a simple document created in CS6, and here Quixel Suite 1.1 NDO behaved as intended.
    The same documene & same Quixel Suite 1.1 NDO, but Photoshop CC 2014 update yields an empty canvas.

I am running Quixel Suite 1.0 on Photoshop CC (without the recent update) at home without any problems.

PS. Seems like the C key + Shift-Click functionality in 3DO is broken in the Quixel Suite 1.1 update.

See attachment for comparison between CS6 and CC 2014 update.

Cheers
  • DesignByKivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EAS3 wrote: »
    Hey teddy,

I know you guys got your hands full. I found another bug for ya tho :( dealing with the metalness maps.
    I was able to re-create it for every project, I have roughly 5 atm and even by starting a new project.
    For whatever reason 3DO does not like metalness maps. If you start a project with metalness turned off you get accurate PBR image. However if you turn it on, all your metal materials get overly darken and broken. This will also apply to an already done project and you add a metalness map thru the add new map feature.
    You can see in the image below what i mean. This project had absolutely nothing done to it EXCEPT adding metalness maps, saving and closing. When i re-opened the project, I could not get it back (even after deleting the maps) to the original PBR look.
    pItZV6a.jpg

I was able to re-create the project by starting over and NOT adding metal maps and achieved the look from 1.0 .. When i added the metalness maps the PBR was broken once again in 3DO. When started the project again with metalness turned ON, it started off broken from the start.
    If anyone else can try this to see if im not the only one that be great. (Also would suck on my end if I am as ive spent a good few hours trying multiple test to fix this to no avail. ) A fast way is just load a up a mesh with metalness off, add a chrome material, move the light in 3DO to get a good angle, then add a metalness map in and you should experience what im saying.
    Thanks in advance to any response and the software is still awesome!

I've come across the same problem.
    I thought I was going nuts when I opened up my last project and thought "Hmm, pretty sure it didn't look like this before"
  • 9of9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know of sensible ways to work with folders in DDO?

That's my one query on the workflow so far - while you can move around material layers, duplicate them etc. folders seem to be a bit of a black hole. You can't duplicate a folder and, if you place a layer into a folder, I can't see any way of getting out again ever.

Are these tools in there somewhere where I can't see them, or are they getting added later?
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get the same error like Yeluis on my notebook. For some reason this error didn't appear on my desktop pc.... both systems are very similar, expect more memoy and and a better graphic card on my desktop pc....
  • DesignByKivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here, arrived home and took a screenshot to compare the old and new.
    New (Bad) - Old (Good)
    DuGTSto.png
  • snrch445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

I made this yesterday to play around with the quixel suite. It's just a cylinder with the outer ring extruded. Everything else was normal mapped using ndo and textured using ddo. I did do some post work adding the green color to "Tutrtles" in photoshop.

Also, I saw some people were having issues after changing to 1.1, not sure but I had an issue yesterday after updating. I originally installed quixel in a different location than the default, when I updated, I didn't realize the update when to the default location and not my chosen path. This caused all my material to be missing textures and just turn to a solid color. so i re-installed the update to the chosen path and everything worked fine, not sure if this will help others.

tmnt%20sewer.jpg
  • beetledig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beetledig null
    yeluis Had some errors. My solution - uninstall Quixel Suite 1.1. Delete Photoshop pref files frome here C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Settings\ And install Quixel Suite 1.0
  • EAS3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Niuva wrote: »
    Here, arrived home and took a screenshot to compare the old and new.
    New (Bad) - Old (Good)
    DuGTSto.png

Yep, I found after playing with it all day, That if you work without a metalness map as if it was 1.0 everything will function as normal. If you need the map for UE4, I found the best work around is to do the entire project without the map and when your finished, save it, then add the metalness map in thru the drop down window, save out the map , not the project , then close the project without saving. When you open again next time 3DO will still display PBR correctly. Just don't save the project with metalness maps loaded and do NOT start a project with metalness tacked. least till they fix it :) .... Now time to figure out what Albedo Metalness is used for :poly141:
  • redcap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redcap polycounter lvl 11
    So I have been playing around with quixel suite a lot and it is really quite powerful. My only issue is that I can seem to make it seamless. For example how is everyone making the barrels to their guns not have a seam where you cut the uvmap? Another example was the owl recently posted. I didn't see a single seam in that model.

How are people getting quixel to avoid seams?
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    beetledig wrote: »
    yeluis Had some errors. My solution - uninstall Quixel Suite 1.1. Delete Photoshop pref files frome here C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Settings\ And install Quixel Suite 1.0

i haven't tried it again but i will give it a shot and let you guys know. also is there a faq or something for bugs or known issues quixel is working on? in the past they have been notoriously bad about getting back to costumers in their own forums. i hope this wont be the case with the new version.
  • AshuraDX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshuraDX triangle
    I cant seem to install it properly , it appears to be missing the executable(s ?) for the tools, or their location is not C:/Users/Public/Quixel/SUITE
  • AppleRaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I am pretty tired of useless attempts of creating my own preset. Every project. I try to start, doesn’t work with my old preset.
  • deshu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, can someone share quixel 1.0 instalation exe?
    I cannot finish project after updating to 1.1 - getting errors on every single click i do.
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything was working fine on my desktop pc, i just started quixel suite and the same error like on my lapop appears "Service.Runtime.Interup......."

Jesus how can something work and a few hours later don't ?
  • cnecula
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saving a preset or a smart material doesn't work . The older version doesn't work either
  • ThoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    Ive got problems exporting my obj from max.
    This is my result:
    2duxfzp.jpg
  • nightfrontier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nightfrontier polycounter lvl 8
    I'm sorry if this has been answered already. Can you get access to the complete megascans archive now or is that beta/service still due?

If I would buy the complete Suite now would I get anything that I won't get from the open beta?
  • DarkEdge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkEdge polycounter lvl 10
    @ThoZ, your mesh cannot have any n-gons, so check that first...after that you need to triangulate your mesh. I personally use the Zbrush export options with Triangles selected.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGreentheRookie polycounter lvl 10
    ThoZ wrote: »
    Hi,
    Ive got problems exporting my obj from max.
    This is my result:
    2duxfzp.jpg

Did u export it using triangles, polygons or quads ?

If you used tris try polygons instead.
  • y0rCh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a newbie to modelling and never been comfortable texturing because it seemed so hard for me, but it's quite fast with DDO!

NoV0Nma.png
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen polycounter lvl 10
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    Ruh roh. Same here.

quixelerror1.png

quixelerror2.png

Going to have to downgrade because of this problem, I get it on nearly everything I do, changing resolution is the most time I see this.

Color picking also doesn't work from 3Do, seems as those this new version is causing more problems.

Quixel, you out there? Will there be a patch for this photoshop history problem?
  • vertigo__
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertigo__ polycounter lvl 11
    I read through the thread and saw the bit about how the exporter is not ready atm. I am interested in getting a simliar result in ue4 as i have in the 3d0 preview. Is it possible at all to get the proper input maps like roughness etc? Maybe we can get the guy who did the dues-ex scene to explain how he applied the maps that the exporter does currently export? ie. gloss, spec etc. or should we just be patient and wait for the exporter? Any insight on a temporary workaround would be useful if its possible at all. ps. something else that would be super useful is to have a maya/max/insert your package of choice (maya :>), shader that accepts the same inputs as ue4. Cheers. It looks like quite a promising tool, keep up the great work.
  • ThoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone else got the same problem as i have got? after the 1.1 update my C+Shift click does not work anymore.

Best,
    ThoZ
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys,

Just a quick update Teddy is back in full force now on the SUITE and should have another build out soon. Thanks again for the patience, we realize how frustrating it can be with bugs and some of you not even being able to use the tool yet. I also should mention some of you with a ton of crashes might be getting them due to the fact that 1.1 is a patch only and not a new install so make sure you are installing the patch into the same location as your previous SUITE install.

Thanks!

/Team Quixel
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    vertigo__ wrote: »
    I read through the thread and saw the bit about how the exporter is not ready atm. I am interested in getting a simliar result in ue4 as i have in the 3d0 preview. Is it possible at all to get the proper input maps like roughness etc? Maybe we can get the guy who did the dues-ex scene to explain how he applied the maps that the exporter does currently export? ie. gloss, spec etc. or should we just be patient and wait for the exporter? Any insight on a temporary workaround would be useful if its possible at all. ps. something else that would be super useful is to have a maya/max/insert your package of choice (maya :>), shader that accepts the same inputs as ue4. Cheers. It looks like quite a promising tool, keep up the great work.

It's not perfect, but if you invert the gloss map you get a pretty good roughness map.