Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    bounch did a stachey thing for movember
  • Paskie
    2BF2249E566F3BDAEE26A6C468999129113613C8

Improviz and i collaborated on this one. Made some custom particles for it but i cant get the it to stick with the default attachmentpoint. It just clings to the root for some reason when i try to preview it in the test build. Working on some more concepts that could make this theme a set.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Wait. I knew it wasn't for sure but you are now making a confirmation.

Why would Valve not add any single items anymore, just because they did 3 chests with complete sets? I think Valve would be stupid not to add single items, but than again you never know what they will do....

If they won't add single items anymore it's game over for me and why would we still do a Monthly competition with single items than!
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Why would Valve not add any single items anymore, just because they did 3 chests with complete sets? I think Valve would be stupid not to add single items, but than again you never know what they will do....

If they won't add single items anymore it's game over for me and why would we still do a Monthly competition with single items than!

Maybe my post wasn't clear. I meant that myself I was not sure what are Valve future plans for single items but it seems that from zips post that they are still going to release single items. He made it seem that he is very sure about it .
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Maybe my post wasn't clear. I meant that myself I was not sure what are Valve future plans for single items but it seems that from zips post that they are still going to release single items. He made it seem that he is very sure about it .

I don't have any inside information. It just seems really unlikely to me that they'd stop putting in single items since they've been there from the beginning. The chests full of sets will definitely continue since they apparently sell well but I'd assume that's alongside single chests.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I don't have any inside information. It just seems really unlikely to me that they'd stop putting in single items since they've been there from the beginning. The chests full of sets will definitely continue since they apparently sell well but I'd assume that's alongside single chests.

I think they should do singles and set chests as well. Doing this they could easily keep single keys the 2.50, but could make set chest keys 3.99 or something. I feel this would add a different level of value to both the single and set chests.
  • daphz
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome stuff dudes!
    I've been wanting to do dota stuff for a while, I finally got around to making something with a coworker. He did the concept and the marketing stuff, I did the 3d/textures.

BeautyShot.jpg

Turnaround.jpg

SwordAlone1.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=250019785

next up, gyrocopter set!
  • cottonwings
    oh man look at that hot body in the promo art
  • Artypi
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    oh man look at that hot body in the promo art

You know it

But awesome sword! I like the red, it's not too much and works quite nicely
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Awwww yeah….daphz getting in on this shizz!
  • Robobobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Some progress on Abaddon set which was concepted by Foxclover. Getting almost done basically. Any crits are welcome. (excuse the scarce amount of screens, one, since I am tired atm).

9lRWZKc.jpg

Things to do:
    - Clean up skinning.
    - Some minor, and unnoticable, uv tweaks.
    - Another pass on textures.
    - Small tweaks to masks, especially blade and shoulders.
    - Some value and color tweaks.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or feel free to tell me what you think.
  • Paskie
    Yey! Got my custom particles to work! BzzzZZZ

uCIYF6W.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Just uploaded a CM hair that I did with Arty. We will be doing a DP set together with custom particles next.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=250239874

0E4AA651D4479CE25321C3163DB64AD5D42C9240
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Just uploaded a CM hair that I did with Arty. We will be doing a DP set together with custom particles next.

That is some really pretty hair :thumbup:
  • PaperNotes
    Hello! Made an Ogre Magi Pure Skill T-Shirt for The International 4 Workshop.
    It was fun making this :)
    Feedback, comments, and critiques are welcome! Thanks for checking it out :D

A9D52D9981DF8BBD185D04B71EC82211623871EE
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    @ Onilolz and Zaphk - Great work as usual =]]
    Delmo wrote: »
    I've submitted a Tidehunter weapon onto the workshop. The weapon is constructed out of a crab claw and driftwood binded by rope. The workshop link is below.

That weapon looks great!
    Kraken wrote: »
    Guys! I have backface cull problem with WR cape. Does anyone knows is this ok? I tried a default one but it has the same issue. However i saw WR sets without that problem in workshop.
    need help:(
    1mnENWM.png
    bladeshot wrote: »
    Looks great. Too bad Valve probably won't accept solo items anymore :c

@Kraken IF you work the internal part with geo for the Lod0 and want to keep the lod1 without its totally fine. Think like that, lod0 is just the dota camera, there is no way to see the internal part, maybe just a little bit but that is not a problem, the lod 0 is used on the inspector mode, where people like to find the weirdest angles possible =]

@Bladeshot - Any source for that? Not trying to be those annoying guys on reddit asking for source but if you are based on the last time they added single items we can also say that Valve does not accept courier anymore since they are not adding them for months

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=250239874

0E4AA651D4479CE25321C3163DB64AD5D42C9240

That looks really nice Zipfinator, im just missing some gradient on the hair, some sets uses that i think those look really fine in game
  • JayKLegendary
    Since Lycan is SUPER popular nowadays lemme throw this in here..
    lycanset.jpg
    Lycanwolf.jpg

The idea is to make Lycan as mobile as possible, so..
    Kurasame from FF-Type 0 with his Half-cape.

Anyway, Concept is up for grabs. Anybody wants?
  • AbyssWalker
  • Bernoully
    Offline / Send Message
    Bernoully polycounter lvl 4
    A quick WIP sneak peek on my latest project!

hiGjaro.jpg

You might have seen this original concept art from cottonwings:

nHAuCTn.jpg
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Has anyone else had trouble with the particle effects? I load them into the importer and it changes nothing. The first attempt I did worked, but now every time I alter the verts it ignores it and stays with the first one. I'm exporting as fbx if it makes any difference.

-edit-

i figured it out. i had to completely restart dota to test any changes.
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    LRoy wrote: »
    Has anyone else had trouble with the particle effects? I load them into the importer and it changes nothing. The first attempt I did worked, but now every time I alter the verts it ignores it and stays with the first one. I'm exporting as fbx if it makes any difference.

-edit-

i figured it out. i had to completely restart dota to test any changes.

You can just change the output name. :)
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    I'm currently working on a courier for the first time and I have a couple questions about where I'm at in the process if anyone would be kind enough to share some wisdom...

So I just did all my bakes and I'll be texturing very shortly, but out of curiosity and the need to look ahead I checked out the import courier section of the in-game importer. I noticed that you upload a model for both the flying and the ground states of the courier and that they use the same texture. I am not familiar with rigging at all so it is something I'll need to get acquainted with very shortly. My questions at this point are as follows:

1) Do these models need to be rigged with all required bones before they can be imported?
    2) For the separate flying and ground versions, do I need to bend/modify the model(bend it in specific spots to set the "standard" look/form for that state)? Or bend/modify the riggings?
    2) At what point are animations uploaded? Is it the step after I import the model and so I'm just not seeing it yet?
    3) Do animations need to be completed before I can preview the model in-game?

I'm sure I have more questions but this is all I can think of at the moment. Thanks very much in advance!
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    1 & 4:

You need some kind of animation to import the model, but you can just export a rest pose and use it for all the required ones.

2:

Not sure what do you mean with bend, but you'll need to have one skeleton for each model, so you'll do the flying/ground rigging as if in two unrelated models.

3:

There's a second instance of the window for each form (ground & flying) where the animations and bones for effects are, you need to set those too in order to import.

Hope it helps.
  • hayes87
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 polycounter lvl 6
    darkkyo wrote: »

1) Do these models need to be rigged with all required bones before they can be imported?
    2) For the separate flying and ground versions, do I need to bend/modify the model(bend it in specific spots to set the "standard" look/form for that state)? Or bend/modify the riggings?
    3) At what point are animations uploaded? Is it the step after I import the model and so I'm just not seeing it yet?
    4) Do animations need to be completed before I can preview the model in-game?

1) Not really, you can rig the whole mesh to single bone and it will work
    2) Not sure what you mean, but in the flying model you generally need to animate it in the same spot of the ground one, but keep in mind that game will move it upwards 160 units. So in the death animation you need to make it dying and falling bellow the ground. Helenek made some ref to help with that here.
    3) Need to click the arrows on the bottom of the submission to view the animation tabs. http://i.imgur.com/0daaekO.jpg
    4) not really you can fill the slots with a single dummy animation file.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    OniLolz wrote: »
    You can just change the output name. :)

ah man, this still happens I have no idea why. No matter how much I change the mesh or file name it's stuck on the first one I did.

anyone have this crap happen?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy wrote: »
    ah man, this still happens I have no idea why. No matter how much I change the mesh or file name it's stuck on the first one I did.

anyone have this crap happen?

changing the name should work, but if you are testing in game that one you need to at least disconnect and ask the compiler to load the map again
    I'm currently working on a courier for the first time and I have a couple questions about where I'm at in the process if anyone would be kind enough to share some wisdom...

So I just did all my bakes and I'll be texturing very shortly, but out of curiosity and the need to look ahead I checked out the import courier section of the in-game importer. I noticed that you upload a model for both the flying and the ground states of the courier and that they use the same texture. I am not familiar with rigging at all so it is something I'll need to get acquainted with very shortly. My questions at this point are as follows:

2) At what point are animations uploaded? Is it the step after I import the model and so I'm just not seeing it yet?
    3) Do animations need to be completed before I can preview the model in-game?

I'm sure I have more questions but this is all I can think of at the moment. Thanks very much in advance!

I think you got all the answers already, but i would like to suggest that can test your silhouette before doing the lowpoly, i normally get my highpoly, reduce it on maya or on zbrush and add to the game.
    Sometimes i add a model with 10 or 20k triangles but that to work you need to compile your model manually
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 wrote: »
    2) Not sure what you mean, but in the flying model you generally need to animate it in the same spot of the ground one, but keep in mind that game will move it upwards 160 units. So in the death animation you need to make it dying and falling bellow the ground. Helenek made some ref to help with that here.

Thanks for all the answers!! Quite useful knowledge all around for someone who has never attempted anything more than simple weapons/armor... I guess I should explain what I meant in question 2.
    What I'm talking about is what makes the ground and flying versions different, namely the pose that the courier's body is in. I designed the courier so that in its most relaxed position(its idle pose) it is close to how it looks while flying... so the flying pose is already sort of made. Now I need to make the ground pose for the ground model upload. Do I modify the model itself to make the ground/crawling pose or do I rig a skeleton/bones inside the model and bend those to create the ground model? I hope that explains it better. I guess what I'm asking is what exactly is the method of morphing one state of the courier to another for the two uploads? What needs to be done?
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    I think you got all the answers already, but i would like to suggest that can test your silhouette before doing the lowpoly, i normally get my highpoly, reduce it on maya or on zbrush and add to the game.
    Sometimes i add a model with 10 or 20k triangles but that to work you need to compile your model manually

Hmmm... Isnt the high poly enough to test the silhouette? Normally when I want to test an item before making a low poly I just chunk out/delete big parts of the high poly to save as a temporary low poly and then I only view the high poly in the importer screen to see how it looks.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_n49j7kq5JI1r43xj0o1_500.png
    got all the shape key names transferred
    now to do the actual shaping
  • cottonwings
    Made couple of changes after hearing C&C from other workshop artists. Here's a V2 of my rose and macabre-inspired Queen of Pain set. I have to say that the wings are my favorite part of her. Isn't it fun playing around with materials and design elements? DanJohnCox will be in charge of modelling this baby, so I'm super super excited! <3
    YZjS9Re.jpg
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @cottonwings

This is probably my favorite set for QoP. Love the overall theme of it, very original! Every single piece is really well put together and the whole package looks incredibly stunning. Can't wait to see DanJohnCox bringing this to life, and I'm sure he's going to an awesome job at it!

So, pretty much finished that Puck set I'm making with Arty, just some promo materials left now! We're hopefully submitting it next week. Here's a still from a little turntable I'm making:

dmyoNR5.jpg
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    So I got bored today and started playing with shapes for a new sven sword.

This is what I got so far. Still Wip:
    8eFVQ.png
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Do I modify the model itself to make the ground/crawling pose or do I rig a skeleton/bones inside the model and bend those to create the ground model? I hope that explains it better. I guess what I'm asking is what exactly is the method of morphing one state of the courier to another for the two uploads? What needs to be done?

Treat them as two separate models, as they are, the geometry and skeleton from the flying and ground versions are completely independent of each other.

So for the ground version, make a skeleton/geometry of its own.
  • Nemozini
    Kraken wrote: »
    Guys! I have backface cull problem with WR cape. Does anyone knows is this ok? I tried a default one but it has the same issue. However i saw WR sets without that problem in workshop.
    need help:(
    1mnENWM.png

You need to model the back face. No double sided materials. The files you downloaded from the workshop technical page are single sided. But if you decompile the actual mdl of windrunner's cape, it will have both sides included.

It is a horrible poly limit of 250 for both cape and scarf imo.
  • hayes87
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 polycounter lvl 6
    I guess what I'm asking is what exactly is the method of morphing one state of the courier to another for the two uploads? What needs to be done?

Oh, the ground and flying models/rigs are completely separate and the transition between them its instant. The only thing they share its the texture files.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Tastes great baked! Baked normal maps, straight out of xNormal into Source with nothing to re-bake! Handplane plugin is amazing.

StaffBake2.jpg

Edit: Bonus in game test image:
    StaffInGame1.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    HI8Ioo1.png

well this is awkward
    his portrait head disappears and his face doesn't even animate any more
    good lord I've had just about enough of this invoker
    every time I have to muck about with the games files it's always you
  • oDD
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    This thread is scary :) I haven't posted anything in ages. a weapon for Earthshaker

Workshop Page

render_finger.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so I used the reload_fullbodyportraitdata command and his face animates again ingame
    but in the importer ingame test the flexes break and he only moves his eyes but won't open his mouth
    the hairs flexes work fine but I still can't see if they match up at all.
    this is really weird.

officially nominating invoker for "Worst Character to Work With of the Year" award
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: This piece is done, onto the next
    StaffColorDone.jpg
  • TommyTehZombie
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Made couple of changes after hearing C&C from other workshop artists. Here's a V2 of my rose and macabre-inspired Queen of Pain set. I have to say that the wings are my favorite part of her. Isn't it fun playing around with materials and design elements? DanJohnCox will be in charge of modelling this baby, so I'm super super excited! <3
    YZjS9Re.jpg

LOVED IT! those wings are great!
  • bounchfx
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    LOVED IT! those wings are great!

agreed, fantastic job, cotton!
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 wrote: »
    Oh, the ground and flying models/rigs are completely separate and the transition between them its instant. The only thing they share its the texture files.
    Rubus wrote: »
    Treat them as two separate models, as they are, the geometry and skeleton from the flying and ground versions are completely independent of each other.

So for the ground version, make a skeleton/geometry of its own.

Thanks guys! Been working on this and I've been pretty successful so far, but I have a follow up question:
    What about parts of the model that are only present during one mode/state or the other? For example if your courier grows wings to fly? Does the ground model have these wings/parts hidden away somewhere or can I just delete them from the ground model all together?
  • Linko
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    I am making a Gold Digger item for Alchemist, maybe i will do a complete set. It's a wip, i havent textured it yet.

517008back.png

328992item.jpg

I've seen that i am limited to a 256*256 texture resolution for the weapon and backpack but the source files of Alchemist's weapon is in 1024*1024 why?
  • Andumy
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    Linko wrote: »
    I've seen that i am limited to a 256*256 texture resolution for the weapon and backpack but the source files of Alchemist's weapon is in 1024*1024 why?
    The defaults are at 1024 for quality purposes,you can submit your textures as 1024*1024 and the engine will resize them automaticly at 256*256.
  • agito666
    tumblr_n4c71qX6aS1sxkih7o1_1280.gif

new shirt workshop design :P
    gonna change the word "IS" into "WAS" when i wake up tomorrow XD
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    agito666 wrote: »

new shirt workshop design :P
    gonna change the word "IS" into "WAS" when i wake up tomorrow XD

:thumbup: That's wonderful!
  • Rubus