Home General Discussion

TitanFall

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Melee does a lot of damage in every situation.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    just had the pc beta show up in origin, so im assuming its now open beta for anyone.

Im a nub at origin. Where do I find it in the program menu? Today is the only day of the week I can try this.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    apparently it only opened for anyone who signed up. it just appeared in the my games tab up at the top where it shows all the orgin titles you own.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, you needed to apply for a beta key. It ended today though. I'm gonna buy for the multiplayer. I think it was great. Would be nice with some "pilot only" maps too. Could be fun.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I'm considering buying it though it unfortunately chose to release on the same day as Dark Souls 2 and yeaaaah, nothing can stop that game ;)

But yeah I'll be interested to see what the final package offers. The monster stuff sounds like a nice dynamic and I wanna try out more skills. I found mid-range sniper, cloak suited my gameplay style and a tank Titanfall for outlasting most players.

Damn, kinda sad beta ended. I enjoyed it while I could! And it was nice to play on Source again. Nostalgic.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    frell, it should be called a beta. I am guessing you have this mindset because you haven't actually worked anywhere up to this point to deal with full on real development.

As for the whole other point you made about if game play changes does art get hit. Everywhere I have worked 9 times out of 10 if there is a change most departments feel it.

A lot of things were tested in this beta.

Server load
    how lag is dealt with
    how long it takes to find games
    hit marker detection
    bots/ai does it need to be improved
    They kept it small at first to not overload the system. You don't roll something out like this to the whole world during a test. See it is holding up and you open it to more people.
    I don't really grasp anything that you do actually enjoy.

What game is worth $60 to you?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    What game is worth $60 to you?
    AC2, Skyrim, Fallout 3, GTA 5 off the top of my head

And there are some indie games i'd pay $60 for given the amount of fun I've had with them like Garrysmod and Red Orchestra
    Server load
    how lag is dealt with
    how long it takes to find games
    Yet almost all big releases still have issues on launch here. A small(ish) scale beta test is nothing compared to the floodgates on release day.

I'm just saying nowadays theres a marketing advantage to doing 'tests' my issue was any bad criticism will be brushed off because it's labeled as "beta" when design hardly ever changes past that point. Any change deemed too much work will just be tagged onto the sequel
  • ripper351
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ripper351 polycounter lvl 5
    So anybody buying this tomorrow?
  • DatMiyamoto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not buying it until it gets mod/lan support I can't believe those are missing I mean it's on SOURCE D:
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I had a blast during the beta but I'm getting tired of playing nothing but FPS games since all I really ever play is CS, CoD, BF, and any other major shooters that come out. If the game ever gets custom mod/map tools then I'll buy it but at the moment $60 seems like a lot for how much fun I think I'll be having.

The game is amazing though, anybody that likes multiplayer shooters should definitely get this game.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I am not buying it until it gets mod/lan support I can't believe those are missing I mean it's on SOURCE D:

All the COD games were built on iD tech. From what I've heard it's as much the source engine now as COD is iD Tech. The engine choice doesn't automagically mean mod-ability.

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't all the COD games launched pretty smoothly without any server issues, why all the "I'll wait to see how they handle the traffic" comments?
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    OXM *8.5/10
    *OXM UK *9/10
    *Venturebeat *82/100
    *Polygon *9/10
    *EGM *10/10
    *Gamespot *9/10
    *Giantbomb's Not review *No score yet
    *Rev3 *5/5
    *Edge *No score yet
    *IGN Norway *8.1/10
    *Videogamer *8/10
    *Gamereactor *9/10
    *Gamersglobal *8.5
    *Gamesradar *4/5
    *Joystiq *4.5/5
    *Gameinformer *No score yet
    *Gameblog *4/5
    *Metro GameCentral *9/10
    *Gametrailers *9.3/10
    *Ausgamers *8.7/10
    *PC Gamer *No score yet
    *Vandal Online *9.2/10
    *Machinima *9/10
    *Jeux Video *17/20*

Good reviews so far. Didn't bother reading them, but at least a good reception. Kudos to Respawn! dunn wanna hear about any layoffs or anything like that.

I got my copy already preordered. Any one wanna play tomorrow?
  • DatMiyamoto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All the COD games were built on iD tech. From what I've heard it's as much the source engine now as COD is iD Tech. The engine choice doesn't automagically mean mod-ability.

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't all the COD games launched pretty smoothly without any server issues, why all the "I'll wait to see how they handle the traffic" comments?

Yes but they said it may get mod/lan support later so I'm gonna wait because me and my friends don't have the best internet so if we can't host our of servers the game would be pointless for us :poly136:
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    God heavens, why is the game 50GB, is it shipping with 8k textures or just all the pre-packaged DLC waiting to be unlocked. Gonna take a week to download.
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Thats why you go to the store and buy it physically :p
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Does it come on 7 disks? Can't think what's worst waiting for the download or feeding the PC dvd's. :P
  • ripper351
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ripper351 polycounter lvl 5
    Higuy wrote: »
    Thats why you go to the store and buy it physically :p
    Even if you have a physical copy for PC, it still requires the download. At least most games now a days.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CoD Ghosts was also 50GB and shipped with 4K textures so I'm guessing that is the case here as well. I wish 4K textures were just offered as a secondary download. I know I never use them even if they're available and I'd rather have the extra harddrive space.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    God heavens, why is the game 50GB

Apparently it's due to 34GBs of uncompressed audio files... Fuck that noise! (literally) That is ridiculous, I'm guessing that it must just install every available language by default, that's the only way I can see it taking up that sort of space uncompressed or not.

titanfall.png?w=660&h=482&l=50&t=40

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/titanfall-has-34gb-uncompressed-audio-files-say-users-1439566

There's no way in hell I can afford to set aside 50GBs for this game so I don't think I'll be playing this any time soon, I'm not really sure why but I've pretty much lost all interest in this game the closer it's gotten to it's release. I guess that's the problem with having a game where the gameplay itself is so central, after playing the beta I don't really see what they can do to surprise me.
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    Pre-ordered it ages ago. Loved the beta.
    Preloaded it a couple of days ago(50 gigs, Bah!! Worth it!).
    First thing I'll be doing after finishing my shift at 7 in the morn is rushing home to play the hell out of this game. Sure I die a lot, well a bit more than a lot but it's well worth it.
    If anyone wants to play, PM me.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    AngryJoe is streaming it 24-hrs straight.
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    AngryJoe is streaming it 24-hrs straight.

crying2-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862497
    Wish I could.
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Ark wrote: »
    Does it come on 7 disks? Can't think what's worst waiting for the download or feeding the PC dvd's. :P

No idea lol.

Guess I'm gonna get it since the beta was great, but man, 50 gb...
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game is fantastic so far. I was a little skeptical about a campaign online, but it was really epic. Loved the presentation and the settings and everything about it. Really short, but sweet. Prbly continue playing the campaign since its just a little bit of everything.

Gameplay is awesome, and most of the maps are just super well designed. The beta was a little narrow, but man, the maps are just so much fun out of those maps shown before. Weapons, upgrades, everything so far has been a blast.

Can't wait to play this with some friends :D
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screwed.jpg
    3 consecutive matches in this room. Use your imagination. XD
    I love Titanfall!!!!!
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Ark wrote: »

update:

it comes with 3 disks. lol.
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Picked this up on the xbox one last night, so much goddamn fun guys. Excellent work and kudos to the entire respawn team.

I absolutely adore the campaign mode and it makes me never want to go back to a traditional offline campaign experience ever again (as far as fps games where the mp is the star of the show in games like battlefield, cod, and even killzone)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^its true.. the whole presentation of the campaign going into MP matches, and the stuff going on throughout the match got me feeling really cool. i felt the whole match was more epic, and the audio, and effects are epic. I hope more MP games do this kind of stuff. It'll be hard to go play classic instead of campaign haha
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I want to play this, I really do, but don't have the HD space, or have enough to put me at less than 10gb remaining. Hoping the 60% of the game being audio is a mistake, and is fixed. More time for Diablo and Dark Souls I guess!
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    whats so special about the campaign? is it still offline but with more 'intelligent' bot ? i'd like to get this game but for now $80 is a bit steep.
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee wrote: »
    whats so special about the campaign? is it still offline but with more 'intelligent' bot ? i'd like to get this game but for now $80 is a bit steep.

$80, For the base game and the season pass combined that wouldn't be too much unless you're just talking about the price of the base game itself being that high.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I hope this ushers in a ton of mech orientated fanart on polycount, as most new big titles seem to spawn a brief "lets make stuff like that" fad. :)

We've got the collectors edition in the office, the statue is friggin HUGE and awesome! :D
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't bought the game yet but I really like this approach to cheating in multiplayer:
    Q.) So what happens if I get banned?
    A.) Great news: you get to keep playing Titanfall! Less-great news: you only get to play with other cheaters. You can play with other banned players in something that will resemble the Wimbledon of aimbot contests. Hopefully the aimbot cheat you paid for really is the best, or these all-cheater matches could be frustrating for you. Good luck.

http://www.titanfall.com/news/we-hate-cheaters-just-as-much-as-you-do
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    haha that would be funny to watch
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm actually quite curious to see how that cheating system goes. People cheat on games for different reasons, some do it because they love pissing others off, I've seen some cheaters claim that they want to get back at the devs/publishers for being so greedy (despite the fact that they paid for the game -_-), and I've seen some people who cheat solely because they are completely incapable of playing the game whatsoever without having cheats.

Diablo 2's open battlenet functioned in a similar way to this and it involved tons of cheaters being able to cheat to their heart's content in a playlist separate from regular legitimate players. This was great because a large amount of the cheaters didn't care if they played against people who were cheating, they just wanted to play the game without actually having to spend the time to learn how to play the game.

I hope this system is successful in Titanfall because that would encourage other devs to give something like this a shot, and anybody that plays a lot of PC multiplayer knows that there are a ridiculous amount of cheaters in basically every online game. It'd be hilarious if they didn't tell you that you were banned, the reactions would be priceless! From my experience in counter-strike, many people seem to cheat because they suspect that every other person in the game is already cheating, so it's not like some of these people would even suspect that they got banned lol.
  • inflict3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
    one of the first youtube videos at 60fps!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SRTEXSpcyI"]Titanfall Gameplay at 60fps (High Frame Rate EXCLUSIVE!!) - YouTube[/ame]