Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge January 2014 (15)

Replies

• genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    @Alex Sick render dude. I keep meaning to scoop up keyshot..so damn expensive though >_<

@mats effect Nice work, although the scratches on the large top bay wall repeating kind of bothers me, also I think you're better off just removing the premade plants at this stage and replacing it with something else. The room's looking kind of bare at the moment!

@Sepp_Brannigan Cool scene man! I like the idea of the teleportation bays and the shot of the monitors/ticket system! Ha I have no idea why the crystals feel so out of place to me though :P Nice work nonetheless!

-- I really hope I'll have mine squared away by next week. Kind of bummed I didn't make the deadline, but still want to finish this one up and move on!
  • gametime
    Offline / Send Message
    gametime polycounter lvl 8
    sepp: although the crystals are nice, I think they are too big.

and a second set of doors:

screenshots22sjvz.jpg
  • The_Korrupt_One
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Korrupt_One polycounter lvl 6
    @Sepp_Brannigan Very nice I like it a lot.

I'm not that happy with my own work on this challenge. I didn't get nearly as much done as I would have liked. I did a lot of procrastination whilst working on this which is a pity as I had loads of free time to work on this. I think maybe some better planning at the beginning would have helped me massively. I had a few issues with baking normal maps which I let frustrate me and so I ended up doing even more procrastination.

This is my final scene as I say its not finished but I to leave it as it is and start on a new piece otherwise I'll spend to long on this. Might come back to it with fresh eyes at a later time.

EpiNqMR.jpg

I'm happy with some things from this. I really like the window frames I think the normal map came out really well and the texture is nice too. I tried to make the glass look like it was dirty but that didn't work out well. The thing in the middle of the frame I was going to make a hologram projector that displayed the status of the bay but didn't get round to it.

PUxLe9O.jpg

My idea for the ramp in the floor was that it was a ramp down to a storage area. I wasn't going to model that just have a covered area with keep clear on it.

TJh3GAV.jpg

Overall I think this has been good practice for me as I made a lot of mistakes that hopefully I won't make next time. I need to do more planning to begin with, improve my workflow, try not to procrastinate as much and get more detail in. This piece is seriously lacking detail I need more normal detail and to populate the area with more assets. I did create some basic meshes to populate the are with but they are nearly all unfinished.

Finally I need to get more involved with other members of the forum I need to respond to people that gave me feedback and give feedback on others work.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Texturing-7_zps571af8de.png
    Finished with it for now, I will improve it when I find some more time
  • Subtle 1rony
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    Here are my final shots. Haven't done too much more than when I posted last, but thought I'd show a bit more behind it. I should note that the sky is not mine. I pulled a default from udk.
    wip1.jpg

wip2.jpg

wip3.jpg

My interpretation of the space was that these were storage bays for some sort of futuristic data cores. The red devices act as lifts to remove and place the data cores from the storage bays. They are built to move up and down, in and out, to transfer the cores from the main lift to the ones on the rails that move to and from the windows from which they're loaded. (that’s assuming the rounded windows open up in some way or there is a sort of force field where transports can come and go.)

reference.jpg

This is an example of some reference that I collected so I could design how these types of machines might fit and work together. I looked at server lifts, car lifts, actual servers, their racks, and how they fit into their storage bays. And of course, the concept painting itself provided a strong influence over the entire design.

textures.jpg
    These are the textures used predominately throughout the scene, with a few exceptions including the foliage and the bay numbers.

uvs.jpg

I wanted to show the uvs for one of my meshes, because in my own learning experience, no one ever showcases uvs like this because they look like a mess, but its actually a quick and efficient way to utilize tiling textures and especially tiling trim textures. My process is to planar map the faces and fit the uvs to the texture. Texture stretching, if it looks okay, is totally acceptable. The trick is to really have a well planned out tiling texture initially that can potentially be used for all your assets. This method is heavily inspired by Tor Fricks 1 texture environments. I just think this type of uv layout process isn't very clearly explained in many tutorials or making ofs. Or maybe it is and I just wasn’t looking in the right places(let me know if this is the case).

Here is a close up of the computer terminal mapped in this manner:
    computer.jpg
    And its corresponding uvs:
    computer_terminal_uvs.jpg

I try to utilize this method as much as I can because it eliminates the need to create a high and low poly and do normal bakes, and it also serves to unify the the design of your environment if you repeat elements of your textures in an interesting way.

And lastly, a screengrab of my modular pieces used for the environment:
    kit.jpg

I certainly appreciate any and all feedback or tips on my methods and how I can improve.

@Sepp, it looks like you might be doing something similar, it would be cool to see your textures and/or hear about your own workflow process:)
  • gametime
    Offline / Send Message
    done with all the assets. Now it's time to create the lightning and mood.

screenshots159k0k.jpg
    screenshots2xqjui.jpg
    screenshots30tk1h.jpg
  • mats effect
    genwu wrote: »
    @mats effect Nice work, although the scratches on the large top bay wall repeating kind of bothers me, also I think you're better off just removing the premade plants at this stage and replacing it with something else. The room's looking kind of bare at the moment!

Thanks for the feedback man, points all taken onboard.
    Hey matt, my vray wouldn't work so i just threw it in keyshot.

Thanks I must check out keyshot again sometime.
  • Sepp_Brannigan
    @genwu: thanks. i know the crystals are a bit strange, but i wanted a bit more interesting & easy to realize outside enviroment.

@mats effect: looks good so far. I like especially your computer terminal and the red machine thing on the ceiling.
    the glass windows could be better. there are some cloudy blots on it. comes this from the speck or the norm? if it comes from the norm, make the tilling for it smaller, bigger bumbs should look better. additonal, i used glossiness in the material at 230.
    and one small hint, you could give your light a slightly blue tone ( mine light diffuse color ist at 104,107,114.

@gametime: your computer terminal and the red machine thing on the ceiling looks also nice. The arc and the floor are bit booring. some structure in the texture would be good for the floor, but i guess you had too less time.

@TheKorruptOne: thanks, keep improving yourself :poly121:

@sziada: I like your floor. but i think the red tint dont fit to your scene and why have only 2 of 3 windows this bright orange reflection?

@Subtle 1rony: man i love your color balance on the first picture. with red, turquoise & beige in combination with the green vegetation.
    thanks for your "behind the scenes". maybe i post some background information the next days, but you should know i am just a noob never worked in the industrie. so i made many mistakes :poly136:
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Slowest progress of all time. Hoping to finish in another month or so, if I manage to find time I have big plans. Or at least good ones.
    So much wip
    6H4hX.png
    6H5Pj.png
  • tehrobster2
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Wow! Everybody is making such good progress! I have gotten most of my assets imported into UDK. I am no where close to be finished, but I shall post an update here soon. But let me say wow again you guys did a really good job!
  • Setes
    Sheesh, i should have looked in this thread :P, great job everyone!

I'm curious about your texturing processes though, the floor to be exact, In my scene i've had to make a 4K map to get any sort of detail on the floor, but even then, it doesnt come close to what i see here.

Is it possible to layer and tile maps in UDK?, or is that not how its done.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    ScreenShot00026.png

I haven't finished mine (I just feel like doing some coding, instead of graphics past week ;p).

But I'm going to finish it in few days. Don't have much work left here, only redo some textures and finish door.
  • gametime
    Offline / Send Message
    changed lighting, added "cheap" landscape and did this and that. So here are most likely the final shots. I quite happy how it turned out, given the short time invested. Though, this scene could use something to break up its regularity.

anyways, shots:

routine008h2c3h.jpg
    routine0063se8q.jpg
    routine007ixfiv.jpg
    routine005ani86.jpg
    routine004hwi0i.jpg
    routine003kcinc.jpg
    routine002h9fbv.jpg
    routine0018ri8b.jpg
  • mats effect
    @Sepp_Brannigan cheers man :) thats all great feedback and stuff I will look at. Yours looks great btw love the direction you took it in.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Setes wrote: »
    Sheesh, i should have looked in this thread :P, great job everyone!

I'm curious about your texturing processes though, the floor to be exact, In my scene i've had to make a 4K map to get any sort of detail on the floor, but even then, it doesnt come close to what i see here.

Is it possible to layer and tile maps in UDK?, or is that not how its done.

You need to use tiling textures. Never unique large surfaces. Mine is actually tiling forward and breaks at the seam.
  • Setes
    Thought so, i know the basics about tiling, but i often find it hard to make large surfaces like this without getting some obvious patterns into them.

I need to read up on this somewhere, do you have any ideas?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Setes wrote: »
    Thought so, i know the basics about tiling, but i often find it hard to make large surfaces like this without getting some obvious patterns into them.

I need to read up on this somewhere, do you have any ideas?

Just play around, a lot of people use trim sheets for getting details without much texture usage.
    A little more slow progress, not sure about the lighter look.
    6Ju4o.png
    6Ju2C.png
  • Stormfreek
    Alex you're killing it! Keep up the sick work guys, I love all your interpretations of the concept :D