Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge January 2014 (15)

Replies

• mats effect
    Update, today was the first day I could sit down for a solid days work on this

van1fgy.png
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    ZacD wrote: »
    Anything realtime in nature counts in my book. View port shaders, Marmoset 2, UDK tile shots, etc.

Pretty much how I feel about it, I just want to make sure no one shits bricks if that's the road I choose to go down :)
  • Spunky
    Offline / Send Message
    Spunky polycounter lvl 11
    I set up Mayas grid to match what UDK using...which resulted in me having to zoom way the hell out and now im camera pivots at a really tight angle. How do you adjust that?
  • alecchalmers
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    I've had similar problems before and I'm not really sure why this happens but it seems to be as and when Maya feels like it. Some things you can try:

-Check the up axis in preferences>settings, it may have changed, or need changing.
    -Create a new perspective camera and then select predefined bookmarks>perspective from one of the viewport options.
    -If it still persists, export your stuff and bring it in to a new scene.

If you're unsure about grid units etc, Here's what I use:

-Length and width:1024
    -Grid lines every:256
    -Subdivisions:16

Hope that helps!
  • Spunky
    Offline / Send Message
    @alecchamlers

Selecting a predefined bookmark seems to have done the trick, thanks a ton!
  • Spunky
    Offline / Send Message
    Im getting ready to uv map and import stuff into UDK. How do you go about uv mapping for a scene like this? Do you put parts on the same UV or keep them all separate seeing as how they are modular?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You will want to make the scene as modular as popular, because it is basically the same things tiled 3 to 4 times. If something isn't taking up the whole UV map, you can put 2 or more meshes on the same UV map (basically put one mesh on on half, put the other mesh on the other half, combine them together when baking, etc). I would only do that for meshes that will use the same material, don't put a plant and an emissive light on the same UV layout.
  • Spunky
    Offline / Send Message
    @ZacD

Alright makes sense, thank you.
  • DarthBartus
    gik1Syw.jpg

First time exporting anything to UDK, yay!
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Update, today was the first day I could sit down for a solid days work on this

van1fgy.png
    Honestly, since it's such a large piece of the scene, I think you can crank up the divisions on those arches to make it look smoother.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    s6 wrote: »
    Pretty much how I feel about it, I just want to make sure no one shits bricks if that's the road I choose to go down :)

Let's see what you got m8.
  • Surfur
    Shitty render is shitty! but I'm comfortably accurate I think. Just wanted to get the modular pieces as accurate as I could before moving forwards. I'm not going to worry about blocking out the smaller bits.

018mQu.jpg
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @Surfur your player model scale is a bit too large, those blue box monitors are the right look like they should be face high, so that right lowered ceiling area should be about 2 people or 12ft high.
  • Spunky
    Offline / Send Message
    Started uv mapping my pieces. Do these look ok or should I be doing something different that is going to bite me in the ass a few days from now lol

n4JQ3m1.jpg
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I would avoid laying a piece at a 45 degree diagonal, it will be harder to texture and you may get weird anti-aliasing and artifacts. I would also make UV splits and hard edges on edges that are near or over 90 degree angles. What is your target engine?
  • Tyrone70
    Very odd question, but what font are you guys using?
  • electricsauce
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    It's a start:

Progress1.png

Right now the uvs are pretty crappy so it isn't lightmapped. The upper wall section is made of a plane that I warped in Blender. Since it's a plane the normals don't seem to be interacting with the directional light (circled in red). Is there a setting that I can change or do I have to add a second plane with inverted normals?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    With UDK, I find it best to use solid meshes (no open edges) when building a modular environment. There is a material option in UDK to make a mesh double sided, but I do not know if that effects lightmaps.
  • Spunky
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I would avoid laying a piece at a 45 degree diagonal, it will be harder to texture and you may get weird anti-aliasing and artifacts. I would also make UV splits and hard edges on edges that are near or over 90 degree angles. What is your target engine?

I'm going to be using UDK. So on the 90 degree pieces, just chop those off and lay them out separately you're saying?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yup, in Maya give them a hard edge, and make it a seperate uv island. I forgot to mention, you should plan ahead on what models are going to use tiling textures. You will have to model those differently. Anything that uses unique uv maps (not tiling or mirrored) can use basically the same uv's for the light map, but you might have to add extra padding.
  • serpentine19
    Offline / Send Message
    serpentine19 polycounter lvl 7
    You can also use purely dynamic lighting in UDK which I usually use as light maps can cause some weird problems. Its more taxing but from my experience it's not a massive degrade in performance.
  • Tyrone70
    You can also use purely dynamic lighting in UDK which I usually use as light maps can cause some weird problems. Its more taxing but from my experience it's not a massive degrade in performance.

Very true, plus, isn't this for screenshots, not gameplay?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    I got some of my basic blockout down, I think I'm going to double check my porportions and a few things and plan out my scene some more then move into making the real thing, I felt like this was in space due to the white stuff outside the window plus i think that's cool, it prolly isnt considering the plants growing inside but i still want to incorporate them into the scene, I want to make this a vehicle/ mech bay and everyhting is super placeholder blockout right now, crits on anything and everything with this is welcome.
    JSFR4d4.jpg
    InoCus7.jpg
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Looks dope man, I'm glad to see your deviating from the concept a bit. Can't wait to see more progress! :)
  • serpentine19
    Offline / Send Message
    @AlexCatMasterSupreme

Is that actually UE4 or have you just named your screenshot tht?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    @AlexCatMasterSupreme

Is that actually UE4 or have you just named your screenshot tht?

It's in ue4.:)
  • mats effect
    Honestly, since it's such a large piece of the scene, I think you can crank up the divisions on those arches to make it look smoother.

Yeah I think you are right, will get on that when I get home tonight.

cheers!
  • alecchalmers
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    Tyrone70 wrote: »
    Very true, plus, isn't this for screenshots, not gameplay?

I think this can be for anything you want it to be. We post screenshots on here, but you can tailor it to whatever your needs or interests might be. I'm going to focus more on learning UDK than anything, and making a working game environment.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Let's see what you got m8.

Meh. Not feelin the concept this month. Perhaps next month. Hit me up on skype prior to choosing the concept and we'll figure something out :)

Lookin good bro.

By UE4, He means Vray. He works in production you know.
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I think my blockout is done so I'll be moving on to HP stuff. The blocky looking things just under the lights are slots for cables to come out and power the bay light fixtures.

Blockout.png

Here's the ATM-looking thing next to every bay door. I'm going to add additional details with nDo2.

Machine.PNG
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    7a2cb2d4-a6f0-4627-b7bd-28e24b5653ce_zpsa39cecf3.png
    Almost Done with the block out :)
  • Surfur
    does this size look about right to you guys?

EH3SX4.jpgPWaeSj.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey I guys! I have started my block out! 1AxyUbT.jpg
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 your proportions are a little off. The top of the room levels out for a bit before it begins its decline back toward the floor. What you have currently is more of a constant arc. The areas at the top of the ramp are also a little deeper in the concept. I suggest getting down the basic shape of the room before adding any extra details such as cross beams or the vertical trim, as any minor tweaks with all these extra pieces in may prove to be a hassle.

Keep it up!
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Bartalon for the suggestion with the flooring slope. I'm happier with these proportions for now. Going to go in and start texturing and modeling at some point today. Looking good guys! Keep it up!

MillerJayson_CE3_Blockout02_WIP.jpg

*Actually, I lied. I need the floors to be way longer than they really are...back to work on the blockout -___-
  • electricsauce
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    Started getting the lighting in order. I got rid of the planes and made everything out of solid geometry. This leaves me with either an overlappinog uv warning or tiny uv islands (as compared to what I get with a plane).

Highres_Screenshot_00002.bmp

Progress2.png

Also, how does my wireframe look for a modern game? Should I focus on getting a lower polycount or will it not be an issue for modern hardware? I want to get this sorted before I start my high polys and baking. Thanks.
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Throwing my name in the basket. Blowout and breakdown so far. Some proportional issues. Currently working on them. I am going to be adding 6 bays to make the room feel more grand.

MNCJan14_Blockout_zps5b6ddc6b.jpgBlockout_zps0d6e42e4.jpg
  • Subtle 1rony
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    I've been wondering for a while what the function of these might be. At first I thought they were screens or terminals, but they face the wrong way. Any thoughts?

thingy.jpg
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Artistic freedom :)

I think it is safe to say most of us are going to take our liberties and change it. It seems to be a light that is pointing outwards, but they are positioned too low to function...
  • Subtle 1rony
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    I totally get you on the artistic freedom part. I didn't think about them being lights, that's interesting. Didn't know what to make of them at first. They reminded me of those tupperware lids with the snappable flaps.
  • gartht3d
    I've been wondering for a while what the function of these might be. At first I thought they were screens or terminals, but they face the wrong way. Any thoughts?

thingy.jpg

they're near a window. Concept looks odd. maybe face them down and make them viewing screens or some kind of digital binocular screens with a view of whats outside. Though it looks really industrial, so maybe just a control panel. The composition may be thrown by a illuminated screen.

Im pretty into this challenge, just what the doctor ordered:P Might give it a go if I find some time.
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Ha, I honestly thought those would be something like benches..who knows - possibly for the mechanics who work in the bays? At least that's what I'll be going for with those
  • Robust
    Since they're facing the glass, they could be hologram projectors that project something just inside the glass, like a fake sunny sky, banners, ads, etc.

They could also just be vents, maybe mist comes out of them for the plants or something, good excuse for a particle effect.

Also, my blockout.

16WQxG3.jpg
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu wrote:
    *Actually, I lied. I need the floors to be way longer than they really are...back to work on the blockout -___-

You should just be able to lattice/FFD the verts of the ramp and squish them together until it looks good.
  • serpentine19
    Offline / Send Message

thingy.jpg

I thought they might be some sort of latch or lever to open the doors and let the vehicles out. Not sure how it would close again or open from the other side. :\

edit - wrong quote
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought they might be some sort of latch or lever to open the doors and let the vehicles out. Not sure how it would close again or open from the other side. :\

edit - wrong quote

I was going to make mine project holograms in a curvature with the window personally.
  • Setes

I think its illumination. Even though the sky outside is black, the lighting suggests its daytime.

I'm interpreting this scene as an indoor environment on the moon, where the sky is always black.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Setes wrote: »
    I think its illumination. Even though the sky outside is black, the lighting suggests its daytime.

I'm interpreting this scene as an indoor environment on the moon, where the sky is always black.

As am I:)
    still blockout n stuff but I got the basic heightmap in before bed. 6aml4.jpg

modeled the light really quick. It's baked out and ready to texture too.
    6am9Z
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Texturing1_zpsccce4591.png
    Started Texturing My scene I have plans to add a few personal touches to my scene in the near future.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10

thingy.jpg

My guess was close able air vents that are currently in the open position. I imagined square piping running out from all those points right there and meeting up with O2 silo's and some pump mechanism outside to pump air into the room.