Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge January 2014 (15)

Replies

• InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    I've been working for almost a week now on this. Here's what I got so far.
    3ZH18QU.jpg
  • Adel0n
    Offline / Send Message
    Adel0n polycounter lvl 9
    Hi, guys! New noob in the thread! :) It`s my first project. I`m working on my level about a week. What i have now:
    decals_final.jpg
  • NurmanZh
    Offline / Send Message
    NurmanZh polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work Adel0n
  • Macler
    Offline / Send Message
    Macler polycounter lvl 9
    What pixel/unit ratio are you guys using?
  • stonedove
    Offline / Send Message
    stonedove polycounter lvl 9
    Great work everyone. I tried to work with some heating units in this. I am planning on some type of fan cover. Also, I can try and break up the geo so it doesn't look like one sheet metal stamp out. wip2_zps349f4f71.jpg[/URL]
  • Robust
    Had time to finish this tonight, though with the emissive I'm still undecided between the concept's light blue, which pops better, or amber which looks more appropriate to me. I'm picking colors with the shader so I can just leave it undecided for now.

Crits welcome.

9unqDXe.jpg
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @Robust, I would like to see that in the final scene, it might be too noisy detail wise.
  • Robust
    @ZacD I was worrying about that, especially when I started adding the white stripes and decals. I'm going to start laying out the floors and such now and see how it goes together.
  • joshschmitt
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 7
    The floor, still adding some NDO2 details.

6fLnJ.jpg
  • ruthmadeline
    Hi! Finally having a go at a noob challenge for the first time. I only started yesterday so a little behind...

Anyway, here's my blockout in UDK with basic lighting and an almost finished floor texture :)

OuMpBig.jpg
  • Xazas
    Offline / Send Message
    Xazas polycounter lvl 7
    The slope of the floor looks too steep. It would be very difficult to walk up there.
  • Preston
    Offline / Send Message
    Preston polycounter lvl 6
    YOu guys are so good! "Noob" Challenge....shyaa ok.
  • Preston
    Offline / Send Message
    OK. Final Blockout. Feeling good.

Blocking_Final.jpg
  • SwagginTotheMax
    Hey, I'm just wondering why all these entries are really fucking cool and Alex's sucks so much dick?

Thx
  • Spunky
    Offline / Send Message
    Spunky polycounter lvl 11
    threw some assets into UDK today
    qtb5voa.jpg
  • alex1111
    Offline / Send Message
    alex1111 polycounter lvl 9
    so here's just a rough block out of most of the scene
    Render1_1_10.jpgColorCode.jpg
  • The_Korrupt_One
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Korrupt_One polycounter lvl 6
    I'm gonna give this challenge a go. Just done a basic block out so far.
  • Popolo
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Been having a fever for the last couple of days so haven't been able to work, at least not effectivly :( But got one more prop done which will be my focus-prop, hanging in the middle of the room.

After all, what is 80's retrofuture without interlinked television sets?

shrs.jpg

lpjk.jpg
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    @Popolo, that's really awesome man. Hope you feel better, can't wait to see what else you turn out. I gotta get cracking @_@

@TheKurroptOne, I think you have a similar problem as to what another user had a few pages back, as in your bay area goes back down right after coming up on the curve. Did you intend to do that? I'm not so sure its in the concept
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Got most of the preliminary normal maps done, going to touch them up with nDo2 then get started with textures and start moving everything into an engine.

Render.png
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Maddie I definitely feel the proportion of the room is a bit squashed. Also the angle of those slopes are way to steep imo. Also, I feel there could be more geometry on your side window pieces!

Popolo really digging that TV screen set man! Also, especially like the light textures you've put on there, compositionally it looks neat! Although, from the concept I'm curious to see where you'll fit it in! Hope you feel better

Higuy looking good, but I really have no idea what the blue streak is doing. It's just kind of distracting to me at the moment and looks like a random post light effect in hopes to add visual interest? I'd definitely lose it - Just looks out of place to me! (Not to mention if a light were that bright, it would most certainly affect the lighting of your room

Bartalon looking good man, I like the geometry you've put for the bay area so far. Hope to see more (Although I know it's probably just the angle - the facets on the floor throw me off a bit, maybe just a bit more geometry to round it out?)

--

Here's where I'm at so far. Still have loads to go...but for now I've added more foliage than the original concept. My goals are for some type of Sci-fi bay to cultivate these plants/foliage for whatever reason (food? medicinal?). So the room is to be kept moist (will add water/mist later). The window area has an animated texture on it just for shits & giggles. I'm sure i'll do a fly through later after all the bells and whistles go off.

I still need to add ALL the geometry for the bays..so terminals, extra wires, etc. Then I need to go back in and actually add models and better textures to all this placeholder stuff -___- Look forward to seeing everybody else's progress!

MillerJayson_CE3_Blockout07_WIP.jpg
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu wrote:
    Bartalon looking good man, I like the geometry you've put for the bay area so far. Hope to see more (Although I know it's probably just the angle - the facets on the floor throw me off a bit, maybe just a bit more geometry to round it out?)

Hey, thanks. Yeah, I noticed my ramp was a little jaggy after I took the shot and closed up for the day. I'll fix it tomorrow.
  • alecchalmers
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    My floor piece is coming along finally, any feedback would be great as I'm kinda new to this!

The floor piece is 80 tris in all. I started of with just a few modular pieces, one for the end of the panel, one for the middle of the panel and one for the part with the circular indent. I textured them and then duplicated and assembled those pieces to make on long floor piece. Then I merged the pieces and used a deformer in Maya to bend it to the shape I wanted. One advantage of this is that there are a few vertices now lining the centre hopefully allowing me vertex paint some grunge in.

I've already learnt quite a lot about nDo from doing this alone, and hopefully the rest of the sections will be a speedier process. I'm getting a better understanding of how to emphasise normals when creating them. I'd like to get all this into UDK eventually but Marmoset will suffice for now.

screenshot003.png

I wanted to try an emissive map, although I'm not sure an abandoned space port would have all it's lights glowing at full capacity like this, it does have terminals and other lights running so what the hey? Maybe I can get the glowing light to pulsate slightly? I got a light to flicker recently using UDK's material editor, so it would just be a matter of changing the speed/frequency.

screenshot001.png

@Adel0n
    Your textures look great, very grungy and atmospheric.

@Genwu
    How did you get the sporadic grunge onto your floor? Is it a decal or vertex painted on?

@Robust
    Thanks for sharing info about that terminal you made, I'm new to hard surface and that's got some fine detail. What size texture does it have applied to it?
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    ss2014-01-11at0105241_zps9043f032.jpg

here is another concept for people trying to figure out the door and the style
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    ss2014-01-11at0105241_zps9043f032.jpg

here is another concept for people trying to figure out the door and the style
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    genwu wrote: »
    Higuy looking good, but I really have no idea what the blue streak is doing. It's just kind of distracting to me at the moment and looks like a random post light effect in hopes to add visual interest? I'd definitely lose it - Just looks out of place to me! (Not to mention if a light were that bright, it would most certainly affect the lighting of your room

Alright, you're right. I was wondering if anyone was going to complain about it being annoying :) I was going for one of those "Mass Effect" looking suns, but I think I'll just get rid of it, or at the very least tone it down a bunch.

Your scene is looking really nice btw. The only thing I could complain about thus far is the lack of detail lighting with the plants, but I'm sure you know about that too. Another thing is the decals, while they are worn, I think they could the worn parts could be a bit more sharp in those areas, since it looks a bit smudged right now.
  • Ivalice
    Offline / Send Message
    Ivalice polycounter lvl 17
    Jumping in with a few block outs I knocked out last week.

sc2.jpg

sc3.jpg
  • mats effect
    Bartalon wrote: »
    mats effect the rods attached to the terminals on the left wall seem a bit flimsy for the size of the object they're supporting. They're sort of just stuck into the wall like a toothpick in a sandwich.
    Higuy wrote: »

@Mats Effect, looking pretty good so far man but I think the little things under the window should be a bit thicker in your blockout. Otherwise, looking pretty nice so far!

Sorry for the late reply guys. But yeah totally agree with what both of you said.

Cheers :)
  • mats effect
    Here is my version of the terminal so far just a normal map so far and I could prob add more detail to it still.

Gona have a floppy disk sticking out of that drive too :)

y94HrdA.png
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, I've been lagging behind a little this week, but I'm back and off to a much better start. My goal is to have all floor panels finished by EOD tomorrow. Until then this is another section of the floor.(The narrow blackish bit in the concept.)

Grate_WIP_zps6fb60aac.jpg
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    @aaronmwolford, looks nice dude. theres a notable seem going down the middle though - was this intentional?

@ZacD, looking nice so far, like all the colors currently being used too as its pretty close to the concept. Whats engine/program are you using?

My progress for tonight

ca5m.png
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @Higuy
    Just using UDK, I'm trying to keep as close to the concept as possible without worrying about tiny details.
  • tonysladky
    And we're back! I think it was like Noob Challenge 6 or 7 the last time I tried one of these, and then I fell off the face of the Earth for some reason. So, I'm off to a bit of a late start here on account of spending the first week of the year super-sick.

11901246356_3f2797a053_b.jpg

I decided to try something different with the breakdown. The couple times that I tried doing the paint-over breakdowns that everyone else did, I didn't exactly arrive at an approach that really helped make things clearer for me. Also, I started it on breaks at work where all I had was paper, pencils, and the concept on a 7" tablet screen. I've got high hopes for this approach because it forced me to get a good feel for the forms of the assets (that is, the ones that I've covered in this breakdown so far. I'm probably going to have to do another page like this to figure out the details and the smaller props).

11900661093_e715983de2_o.jpg

My next big divergence was that I wanted to front-load figuring out the metal. I don't really know my way around the Material Editor as well as I should, so I figured I would make a base metal and instance that for all the metal props. It's mostly just this tutorial but with a quick hand-painted brushed steel for the textures, but I like the idea of big changes happening on the parent material instead of individual materials. Plus, this saved me from having to start everything off with that ugly UDK blue-and-white checkerboard…

11900800234_9622340ee7_o.jpg

And, a quick block-in, mostly for scale and making sure that I got the big modular chunks fitting together correctly. I know, "artistic license" and all, but I'm having a hard time spotting those recessed bays in the concept art that everyone's using, so I'm expecting I'll keep my walls fairly flat, save for a little bit of space just so that people using those terminals can have level ground to stand on. Should keep things a bit more manageable too, if I'm not inventing a whole bunch of extra space.

Sheesh, last time I was in one of these threads, the average participant was much more of a newbie. There's some spectacular stuff here. I'm going to really have to kick my ass into gear and shake off the cobwebs fast. Bravo everyone.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    If you join the skype, you can turn off notifications.
    http://www.p-lu.net/blog/2011/02/skype-group-chat-how-to-be-notified-on-keywords/
    I think people leave because of this.
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Some texturing progress, done in Marmo for now.

Ramp.PNG
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If anyone needs the font, this is the closest I found for free, http://i.imgur.com/LOwHy1F.png It's called Data Control if you want to download the whole thing.
  • mats effect
    Highly work in progress but gona put a ton of hours into this today and hopefully get it finished.

rAYUzTG.png
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    @Bartalon, It's looking good man. One thing I realized though, and I can tell on your geometry some too, is that its a bit "stretched". I think the solution here is to either make the resolution of the width in the texture smaller (to fit how long it is), or have the texture tile somewhat...

@mats effect, that computer terminal is looking really cool dude. The only thing I could say about is that the front is a little lacking, at least on the portion below the screen. Would be cool to see a few other little details there.
  • mats effect
    Higuy wrote: »
    @mats effect, that computer terminal is looking really cool dude. The only thing I could say about is that the front is a little lacking, at least on the portion below the screen. Would be cool to see a few other little details there.

Yeah it still needs that little something extra to push it over the edge on the front.

Here is another update for now I would call the content on the screen place holder for now. Still thinking about whats going to happen with it.

04q7RmR.png
  • Tyrone70
    @ZacD: Thanks!

@tonysladky: If you have the time, I'd recmmend looking into Anisotropic Lighting
  • mats effect
    @Higuy Looking awesome so far dude. Maybe try out some different designs on the wall panels to break things up a bit and add interesting details but yeah coming on well :)
  • Ivalice
    Offline / Send Message
    Ivalice polycounter lvl 17
    Still feeling space out.

sc6.jpg
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, could you please point me in the direction of some nice shader tutorials. I'm trying to achieve a high gloss/reflective surface on the floor panels.
  • Tyrone70
    Hey all, could you please point me in the direction of some nice shader tutorials. I'm trying to achieve a high gloss/reflective surface on the floor panels.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitGemsCreatingDistortedReflection.html
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome thank you Tyrone!
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    My 3h progress:
    ScreenShot00006.png

My goal is simple. Do not create even single unique texture. Only tileables. Maybe with excpetion for foliage (;.
  • Preston
    Offline / Send Message
    First prop finished. Lights. Everybody has done such a cool job on the computer! No chance mine will be on the same level of design as any of yours, but I'm stoked to start my Low Poly computer tomorrow!

Render_lights.jpg

render_scene_lights.jpg
  • Xazas
    Offline / Send Message
    Xazas polycounter lvl 7
    @Preston
    You should try to think about were scratches ad wear would appear on a model. Currently your texture looks very noisy and the damage is to evenly distributed, normally the edges are more scratched then flat parts. Also you should try to make the seams less obvious.
  • sziada