Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge January 2014 (15)

Replies

• sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Texturing2_zps32591fa0.png
    Scene is coming along slowly but I am getting there
  • Mischievous
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    Here's some updates from me, decided to try a different aproach this time, instead of making the whole block out, I'm blocking out, then refining. Let's see if this will end up a stupid idea, or help me get though the challenge easier...

7yr7vwkk.png

gbtujoph.png

Zbrushed the Normal~

6sfr9nm4.png

Before you say anything, I will be adding rain to my scene, hence all the glossiness :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Did a bake of the door, details will be done in ndo. 6joac.jpg
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    sziada I feel like those 'hole panels' on the floor would be massive if a human were to be right next to it. At least my take from the concept was that there'd be plants as opposed to trees? Not sure if this is your goal or not though

Mischievous I'm curious how 'rain' will be incorporated into the piece, with it being indoor at all. Also - I'm still curious to see some more material definition on particular pieces, as opposed to the general 'gloss' that's on everything. I'm sure not ever inch of your pieces will be wet from rain?

Alex lol that's a purty ass door <__<. All bake? Or bake & ndo? just curious :P
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, I it's okay, I did it all in max and then imma ndo it soon.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Psh. Sucks. Who let this guy in here.
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Playing around outside if you know what i mean

r8oi.png

They flicker on/off every 4 seconds. The only problem I seem to have with this is that I do not get ANY of this bloom while playing inside the editor. Is there a way to fix this? I have a post process volume and everything as well.
  • electricsauce
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    Been playing around with substance designer a bit more and I did this with one 2048 material that only has diffuse, spec, normal and emissive maps.

s-tKfNtdxmwuFEDpIFlAnqcP738UmV-oxvOvYjDKGHw=w910-h908-no

Highres_Screenshot_00005.bmp
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Gonna call it quits for tonight. Think I'm gonna start adding some detail at this point to liven the interior up and cleaning other assets up, notably the exterior ones which aren't exactly uv'd really.

8r7m.jpg
    yd3q.jpg
    4fol.jpg

cheers & beers
  • shlim
    Offline / Send Message
    shlim polycounter lvl 3
    6kgL3.png

selected objects are the modular pieces. 2nd column in the HUD shows what the selected stats are. UV's are laid out and I'm attempting to follow a couple tutorials to texture out.

I'm trying to stay true to concept, but based on what tutorials (ala PhilipK.net ect.) I find I wanna bring more detail to the wall panels outside of just the flatness of the concept... poo:shifty:
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerogun polycounter lvl 9
    Been working on it but realized I haven't posted at all so I'll drop down my paint over while I work on getting my placement settings all up.
    in9vDFq.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy wrote: »
    Gonna call it quits for tonight. Think I'm gonna start adding some detail at this point to liven the interior up and cleaning other assets up, notably the exterior ones which aren't exactly uv'd really.

8r7m.jpg

cheers & beers

I'm really liking the overall atmosphere of the scene but I think you really need to work on your materials, they don't read like metal or really anything, it feels like paper or concrete because of you lack of spec, also personally i think some of your details like on the walls are a bit large, but that's my personal opinion. I think you're headed in a good direction but it needs a lot more polish, especially on the materials. Overall this has the best atmosphere though. Your overall direction feels solid, but the details need work.

6kQdr.jpg
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Good feedback. The only thing I would do differently is everything opposite of what he said.

That door Textured yet Arex?
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    I'm really liking the overall atmosphere of the scene but I think you really need to work on your materials, they don't read like metal or really anything, it feels like paper or concrete because of you lack of spec, also personally i think some of your details like on the walls are a bit large, but that's my personal opinion. I think you're headed in a good direction but it needs a lot more polish, especially on the materials. Overall this has the best atmosphere though. Your overall direction feels solid, but the details need work.

6kQdr.jpg

Thanks man, this is some really good feedback and pretty helpful. I'll start trying to refine some of these smaller details, especially the materials and back wall. The green was an attempt to add some contrast with the orange everywhere, but not that I look at it, a small bit of blue light seems like a more appropriate choice now. But thanks, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for :)

As of this morning, I've added a few more details, notably some crates with a couple variations and some cups w/ decal showing it spilled. Trying to make it seem like people got out of there in a hurry.

s6 wrote: »
    Good feedback. The only thing I would do differently is everything opposite of what he said.

:rolleyes:
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 wrote: »

That door Textured yet Arex?

I'm going to texture it later, wanna get most of the trim and such made and mapped so i can look at my scene before I begin adding colors and details as far as textures so i can look at where i wanna draw attention and such, will prolly add the color at least first.

and youre welcome Higuy, i think your scene has a lot of potential if you can fix those things!
  • joshschmitt
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    Preston wrote: »
    First prop finished. Lights. Everybody has done such a cool job on the computer! No chance mine will be on the same level of design as any of yours, but I'm stoked to start my Low Poly computer tomorrow!

IMG

You should redo your texture, stretched, distorted. Smoothing groups are not right e.g. dark corners on your object, lots of noise, the scratches are not where they should be e.g. your scratches are on a flat surface, scratches tend to happened on edges and corners.
  • Setes
    @electricsauce

Holy snacks, thats a huge substance.

How many of the maps are painted on?, or is "everything" just procedural.
  • electricsauce
    Offline / Send Message
    @Setes

I baked the normal in SD and imported the stripe and code from Gimp. I could probably have done the stripe procedurally as well once I learn more.

I don't know if this is the most efficient way to texture the object since I have to use such a large texture size to get decent resolution.
  • Setes
    Still looks impressive though :)

And speaking of Substance Designer, whats up with this error:

2c6uytA.png

The error happens if i try to export a substance with more than 1 output with a 4k resolution. I did a substance earlier today and i had no issues. yet with this, everything keeps dying.

Moreover i'm also having some wierd problems with UDK, which i dont understand either.

I'm trying to import a map to UDK because of the above error, trying to make a workaround.

So, i hit the import button
    u3Soilv.png

Choose the image to import.

rH3d047.png

In this case its a 4k map.
    I've tried it with a 2k version of the same texture, but once i get it into UDK there's no preview, and i'm not able to get it into the material editor.

LYW4uA4.png

I give it a package name and make sure the texture has a name.

and it throws this in my face immediately.

PfPw8Xr.png

I've tried opening the texture in photoshop, copy-pasting the image to a new filem saving it as png and tga, and still i get the same error.
  • electricsauce
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't had any importing problems so far, but I have had issues with UDK crashing with complicated substances or substances with several instances. I may have some 4k textures in the problem substances so I'm going to try removing those to see if that was the problem.

edit: substance designer is on version 4.0.2. You might want to upgrade to see if that fixes the problem.
  • mats effect
    Been playing around with substance designer a bit more and I did this with one 2048 material that only has diffuse, spec, normal and emissive maps.

s-tKfNtdxmwuFEDpIFlAnqcP738UmV-oxvOvYjDKGHw=w910-h908-no

Highres_Screenshot_00005.bmp

I would tone back the noise around the edges I think there is too much damage at the moment. Its gona stand out too much if you use that asset more than once as well.
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    @electricsuace, that is a cool looking computer but I think like others (even mine) it needs some more details on the front, at least below the screens. The other thing I would mention is that its quite dark and very scratched on the front compared to the sides (and also kinda pixely tbh), as if it was made with some really heavy metal material that's seen a lot of ware. I guess its a bit early to tell but I wonder if this will fit in your overall scene well?

Not exactly done with this yet, still got some stuff I want to do (Like Alex's criticism, need to work some more on that stuff, eg backwall + upper panels), but heres a video which hopefully showcases the mood I'm really going for in this environment.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWxo9j4Dx5Q&quot;]UDK - Lunar Storage - YouTube[/ame]

Gonna try and wrap it up this week though, as school starts next week.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Sean Trinkle scale is relative to your character size, so just build, toss a player mesh in there, and if it looks find, the dimensions are good.

If your using the same dimensions as say ut3, the player is 96uu tall, the average door is 128uu tall.

i would make sure your 3d package is using the same units and grid size as udk, and would also make sure your working in power of 2 units that are divsable by your gridsize.
  • Sepp_Brannigan
    so here is mine, not finished at all. but it goes on, well
    I decided to make it more colorful, hope you like my style

[IMG][/img]fn7t5qj2.jpg

[IMG][/img]5cztcbf3.jpg

and this will be the lightsetup

[IMG][/img]t95snf7g.jpg
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Sepp_Brannigan I like your day-time color scheme much more than your night (although I also love the window reflections you got going on there as well.) Biggest things bugging me atm would be the textures on your door (those plain horizontal and vertical strips) keep drawing my eye in as out of place.

Keep up the good work, looks like a cool scene!
  • mats effect
    Nice direction Sepp quite different from the concept but, still has that retro feel to it I think :)
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Sepp_Brannigan, it looks really nice. Love the direction you are taking with it. Only complaint would be the same as what genwu said about the door way, and I'd also personally make it a bit longer with additional bays.
  • The_Korrupt_One
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Korrupt_One polycounter lvl 6
    I've finished my block out now and started importing things into the UDK. Had a couple of alignment problems when I started arranging the scene nothing to worry about though an easy fix. Unwrapped most of the models, I am going to to some high poly models and some detail in nDo2.
    FP23Kmr.jpg?1

My take on this concept is that its a maintenance bay. The area highlighted in red will be doors to storage. The idea is that those ramps in the floor are to accommodate a ramp up from underground storage. The blue area is going to be a pit like you get in garages under cars. I'll add some tools and other items along the walls. I'm adding a robotic arm to the hanging thing in the concept, I'm thinking of making these lights or some sort or hanging tool.

P4Dj23P.jpg?1
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    TheKorruptOne I like the idea of the storage area and pit. You'll probably need geometry in your blockout to keep it convincing. I'd be wary of doing 'too much' (one can always add more things like pits, more rooms etc). I'd just keep in mind theres only something like 2 more weeks for the month! Don't tack on too much!(assuming your trying to hit the month deadline).
  • electricsauce
    Offline / Send Message
    I would tone back the noise around the edges I think there is too much damage at the moment. Its gona stand out too much if you use that asset more than once as well.

Highres_Screenshot_00006.bmp

It's kind of small compared to the rest of the scene, but you're absolutely right about the excessive wear. I tried re-uving the terminal to maximize texture density to get rid of the pixelation, but it turns out that UDK does not like mirrored uvs.
  • e-freak
    great work sepp - as others have said, at the moment the daytime version looks 'better' (mostly cleaner i think in terms of light setup).

the two things I'd look into is the shadow casting on the wall at the back of the corridor (it looks like there's sunlight or GI bleeding through the geo on the cross-stabilization-thingie) and the other thing might be a more pronounced normalmap for those hexagons on the floor (and maybe a bit of variation in glossines and specular on them)
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Got my floor vertex painting working

09hnMH8.png
  • supaclueless
    Online / Send Message
    supaclueless polycounter lvl 12
    Decided to try out this month's challenge to practice more!
    mainly just color/norm maps only and decided to not be efficient in EVERY SINGLE way possible (each piece has individual maps etc)

Not aiming much for optimization here but rather just wanna practice some more in UDK. Got a very early feel for lighting and finished basic environment setup... now gonna work on the dressing up of the scene. Also need to work and practice some more with the shader
    mChallenge15_wip1.png
  • Defaultsound
    Offline / Send Message
    Defaultsound polycounter lvl 14
    Quick WIP, just working on the highpoly meshes at the moment. Still got lots to do, not sure whether or not I'll end up finishing this though.

CCYu0Jn.png
  • Ivalice
    Offline / Send Message
    Ivalice polycounter lvl 17
    A couple of updates.

sc7.jpg

sc9.jpg
  • Defaultsound
    Offline / Send Message
    Defaultsound polycounter lvl 14
    Getting carried away with this now, moving on to some prop highpoly stuff. Computer terminal from today.

gmUeaDx.png
  • mats effect
    Shot of my rear wall. Still not 100% done and clearly I have yet to put any proper lighting in as of yet. Will be ready to show most of the other props too really soon.

sKeoGVJ.png
  • Sepp_Brannigan
    thanks for your crits :)

@ genwu : i think the problem with thes stripe will be weaker when i finish the wall and add the decals.

@ Higuy : should be one of the easyiest things to make the room longer

@ mats effect : youre door is pretty close to the concept, i like it!

I wanted to add some more retro to my scene, so i made this rocket.
    even if it dont match perfectly to my scene, i like it ^^
    i guess, someone knows this rocket

[IMG][/img]d7z4l62k.jpg
  • mmrashad
    0nis.jpg
    This month's challenge was a real eye opener on a lot of matters and it helped me improve myself a lot. A shame that the Swarm lightmap system in UDK wouldn't work properly for this scene. Anyway, this is as far as I take the concept this month as I find myself busy with other matters.

Timelapse/In-Game Video Link: http://youtu.be/4JtmRBezifU

PS: Skip to the end of the timelapse video to see the final in-game result.

UPK files for the last 3 challenges:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dummlr88q2qaxbr/polycountNOV2013.upk
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzrhb4glo1c30w6/polycountDEC2013.upk
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qswzr8t26em7wxl/polycountJAN2014.upk

UDK files for the last 3 challenges:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdqzrm9fw8t5ehc/polycountNOV2013_map_01.udk
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zsxmf9idh5by7b/polycountDEC2013_map_01.udk
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/92um083tfn4gctd/polycountJAN2014_map_01.udk
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    @mmrashad, It might be a bit late for some healthy constructive crit, but I think there is definitely a lot you could improve on there.

The proportions are pretty off - not sure if you posted a picture when you first did it but this should have been addressed earlier on.

Some of the textures are really flat, and quite boring too. I noticed you had issues with the lightmass system in udk, you probably need to generate unique uv's for your meshes and set the lightmap resolution something higher (for each static mesh etc).

Alot of small details are pretty off - not from the concept I mean, but from your designs. Eg the decal above the door isn't aligned on the wall real realistically, the particles coming out the vents are all kind of squished together (IMO they should be spread out, encompassing more of the area of the vent themselves, rather than a small part), etc. Theres alot about presentation that goes a long way.

Overall its not bad though - the computer terminals and things similar to that look pretty nice. However, if these smaller details were worked on and things were cleaned up alot more, you'd have a pretty nice scene.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @mmrashad

- Don't be afraid to use more polygons on curves, those arches look like they are from a n64 title.

- Don't over user grunge and drip stains.

- You should try to make sure the lighting looks good and clean even with basic shaders before adding more detail. See how good you can get the lighting with just the floor, walls, ceiling, and lights.

- The pixel density on your textures vary a lot and the texture resolution of a lot of assets is just too low.

- Pay attention to the hard edges and corners. There's some ugly and weird intersections at corners.

- Try to match the concept more. The concept is large and open, yours is a lot more tight and cluttered. The concept's modular details tile 4 times and are wide pieces, yours tiles 7 and the pieces are a lot more narrow.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Texturing4_zps795ca869.png
    texturing my scene and lighting it more. I want to add something like satellites and buildings outside to make the scene look more intresting
  • mmrashad
    @ZacD All true. I really need to improve myself when it comes to modeling, lighting and UDK, hopefully I will be able to address your crits in next month's challenge. Thanks for the help, dude.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    xQOt0eW.png

Small update, but I getting the moon and glass working how I wanted. Took way too long, why do you need to hide features in .ini files UDK?!
  • mmrashad
    @ZacD: Are you using lightmapping? or is this the dynamic lighting? If it is lightmapping, what is the resolution you used for the objects? If dynamic, how do you make the shadows look crisp and hi-res like that?

Thank you.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's light mapped, the floor is about 1024 because it is all one piece (I did that to get the right bay text, might make it modular later). Smaller props I start at 128 and work up to what works well.

Also pro tips on how to force UDK to use higher resolution lightmaps http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1400133&postcount=8
  • mats effect

@ mats effect : youre door is pretty close to the concept, i like it!

Thanks!

Loving that rocketship btw :D
  • hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    hannes d polycounter lvl 12
    my friend ( Ivan Nestorov) and I teamed up and did this over the weekend
    started yesterday (18 jan) at 2pm

spend to much time on modelling and not enough on texturing etc
    was fun doing an enviroment with such a short deadline

pcyi.jpg
    h97p.png
    0foa.png