Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stromberg's Gameart book

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Andyk125: Thanks, you are right it's a concept art from Rage, good to know that you can recognize it, means I have got some parts right, as you probably can tell some parts a quite different from the concept :)
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update done some more texturing on stuff, have not addressed most of the things in your critics yet, still to be done :)
    8KfOu.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Another small update, done some more texturing added more poly's to the panels and a few other things.
    W3fHM.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Here we go again :)
    aXW1r.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Hy again everyone, have been busy with things and thangs, so not been able to do much on the scene and don't know when I will get back to it, cause I wont have a computer for a little while.

Still I have done a sniper for law of war, it's going to be textured by someone else.
    ble7z.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

Well I lost all my files that I had backed up on my external hard-drive, great success!!
    Going to try a few things when I get home again,
    anyway here is the final texture for the rifle, the texture is not made by me :)
    AfiOG.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again,
    Just a little pistol I did in 2 days for a little thing me and a friend is working on, not my best work but I think it will do the job :)

It's at 3.026 tri's and uses a 1 k texture.
    cNZ54.jpg
    mnU7t.jpg
  • OddEyes
    dude, you are on fire.. great stuff you got there
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Here we go again :)
    aXW1r.jpg

Ha, I live in Utah Valley.
    It's really cold here, and we got about a foot of snow the other day.

Very nice atmosphere you captured, though.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks both of you :)
    Hopefully I can recover that scene from my crashed hdd during Christmas.

Figured I could post the images I did for the dDo contest, I got the second place :)
    OZaGe.png
    1uzWE.png
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a sci-fi shotgun, not really happy with the design yet, so critics would be greatly appreciated :)
    1oi7U.jpg
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    First, can you post some of your reference? You can never have enough!

Moving on, no-holds-barred crit time:

It has potential, but it's just very boxy and undefined.
    It's the extruded-box syndrome that we all fall into when we model sub-d.
    The only part that looks like it is designed to be used by a human is in the back half, particularly the little latch/handle used for retracting the butt-stock.

For starters, I would try pulling and extruding out some loose, organic shapes that connect the various parts in the front half together with eachother. Work on trying to integrate the ergonomic, flowing parts of the mesh with the machined, functional parts, probably starting with the handle:

jVTRG.png

Right now, your handle is a very uncomfortable looking box, fused to the bottom of another box. Its one of the first things people will look at to identify your object, when they are trying to find something familiar. Try angling it and adding smooth ridges so its more comfortable to hold with a human hand/wrist and integrating it so it flows into the barrels.

And also with the fore-end -- that's the part you hold with your second hand and pump between shots -- I like the part you have right now, except the top part:

2fBAP.png

I think it could use some more detail. I like the little cylinder cap pieces you got right now, but they would integrate better into the mesh if their surroundings were less boxy, and instead used more flowing curves. Maybe you could make it curve more around the barrel so that you have a better grip on the fore-end.

After all these familar, ergonomic parts that are designed to interface with your hands, people will look for functional parts to identify you object.

So, you need to indicate some kind of rails or sliding mechanism for things like your fore-end handle to move along when you try and pump the shotgun. Right now it looks like its just static and fused on the barrel. Also, it might be interesting to add some kind of shroud around the barrel to indicate that there is a barrel underneath which is firing bullets and is getting hot. You could try and add little knobs and indicators.

I am not sure of the point of the big cancel-sign looking thing you got here:
    IDfSt.png
    but you could work that out along with your other functional, mechanical bits.

This concept is interesting and has several of these elements:
    d1JTr.png

In addition, you should try and separate the pieces more so they have natural seams. That way it looks like the shotgun is assembled from various manufactured pieces. Right now it looks more like a blockout with some boring shapes. Add breaks and slots and screw holes that show that the gun is held together somehow.

The gun below looks very modular and looks like you could easily break it apart into its individual pieces. It also has picatinny rails so that you can attache sights and scopes. It also has little loops where you could attach carabiners and straps so you can throw the gun over your shoulder.
    KSG_3357web.jpg

Those are the elements I like in that gun, but it's not perfect. It is a little boring and uniform. It's filled with some boring tiling patterns and empty spaces. All the detail is high-frequency small stuff, with the exceptiong of the big bolts on the front end near the tip of the barrel and the extrusions around the ejection port.

On the other hand, This shotgun from Halo 4 has a lot of big, medium & small details in high/med/low frequencies:
    uuPbr.png

So, to sum up;

Try and avoid boxy patterns.
    --Modeling by extruding strips might help over than box modeling or penetrating primitive blockout shapes. You could try and do it over the top of what you have now to try and integrate all your shapes together.

Make sure that your gun looks like it is assembled and manufactures from separate pieces that can be taken apart and re-assembled.

Consider how the gun will move and animate and add features that will indicate the capability for motion like rails, hinges, hammers and ejection ports.

Focus on the grips and making them ergonomic.

Consider what materials will be necesary and where you will integrate them.
    -- Things like rubber for the grips and butt stock. Smooth, machined metal for the fore-end and stock's rail. Plastic for the stock, the sight, and other details. And Hard metals for the barrels and shooting mechanisims.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the amazing critic :)

I will get right to it when I get home from work today, also I agree with pretty much everything you said and you have some really good points I have not thought about before.

I do not have a concept or reference for this in particular I am mostly mix matching, getting a bit design practice ;)
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    More or less started over on this, it is mostly made from the halo 4 concept posted by Computron.
    Not quite sure where I am taking this from here or how it looks to someone not staring at it for to long ;)
    bUkYICx.jpg

I have removed the pump action tube after this screenshot and I have also got some ideas, from a friend of mine that knows more about guns than I do.
  • Goten-trunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Goten-trunk polycounter lvl 12
    all models are amazing and nice textured, i like that SHITOBA :D
  • Stormfreek
    This thread is amazing, watching your improvement is very inspiring! Keep up the hard work!
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks both of you, makes me happy :)

Small update on it, critics are very welcome.
    oB2QBu6.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Another small update, not much left on the highpoly now :)
    h22FTWa.jpg
  • Bychop
    Offline / Send Message
    Bychop polycounter lvl 7
    Huge improvement, it's fantastic! Great job :D
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Bychop: Thanks :)

Another small update.
    phcS5c6.jpg
  • Mischievous
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    Your weapon design and modelling is awesome, seeing these textured is something to look forward to :D
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous: Thanks :)

Final highpoly.
    Cl9b8wH.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    The texture so far.
    Not far of being done but I have a few areas that needs some love :)
    RcbcxGb.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Damn dude, really cool to see your progression in this thread! Keep up the good work.
  • Sam Hatami
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Uhu! This will be a killer ;)
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82: Thanks, I will keep up the work and hopefully make this into a huge thread :)
    Also the BioRifle on your portfolio looks sweet, would like to see a final version of that ;)

Sam Hatami: Maybe, maybe ;)

Update on the textures and lighting, I will wrap it up tomorrow unless I get some critics from you guys :)
    U0bdgPv.jpg
  • Sam Hatami
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost there! Nice beast :)

You could try and break up the spec on the green sections flat parts, what you seem to have now basically a flat spec, add some speckle/spackle/contrast on the spec itself so that it matches up with the mild bumpages and usage around it.

Good job!
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami: Thanks, as you know I worked on what you said ;)
    I have also done a few minor tweaks to the gloss values on some parts.

Thanks to all of those that have shown there support during this project and the thread in general :)
    This is the final shots.
    iBq2LU9.jpg
    BzzgmJQ.jpg
    wUumP09.jpg
    NaZLPGI.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Having some time away from my substrata entry, I have started on this awesome concept by Paul Richard.
    I did try and make it 3 years ago could not do it then :P
    Concept:
    zOGenGw.jpg
    Start of the highpoly model.
    0AcTjPS.png
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Humble update, as I am going without sleeping so I can get my day back on track :P
    DR44NyM.png
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update,
    rxxmWYk.png
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    One more, bigger update this time.
    mbNNDzG.png
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Did the highpoly for the gun and some other parts, I will add more detail to parts after I am done with the initial highpoly.
    fqvQI28.png
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stuffity stuff.
    DJTIxjO.jpg
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, its really coming together.

Post some wires when you get near finishing.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    aw man i was gonna comment on the gun. Well i'll be annoying and do so anyway even though you are finished. Your polygon distrubution is a bit off. You normally dont see the stock of a gun like that ingame in FPS view, and you have a TON of polys there, meanwhile the area that is closest to the camera have almost no polygons. Also the design isnt helping because the part that will be closest to the camera and fill up much of the screenspace is just a big flat piece basically, I would have fleshed out that a bit more with more polygons, aswell as pushing the details there like the rivets etc with actual polygons, while pulling down the polycount count of the stock and the lower front part of the gun. Its amazing how little you actually see of those parts in most games ^^ anyway, good progression!
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron: Thanks, will do a wire render for you in not too long :)

Snefer: Thanks, for taking the time to critic even if I am done with that one, I have a feeling I won't be far from doing another weapon :)
    It's definitely one area I have problem with, that and keeping my texel density consistent.
    I will take all that critic into the making of this vehicle and my next weapon ;)

Might be hard to notice what has happened since last time, but I have done the interior and such, also a few other parts that is not seen to easily.

Anyway almost calling the highpoly done, will add some parts in nDo2, because I own a license and barely use it :/
    vGfv2so.jpg
    Lowpoly next :)
  • Stormfreek
    Cool stuff man, looking real clean!
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message

Here is the wireframe for the highpoly.
    GdVXmVh.jpg
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Solid work Strom! Can't wait to see the bake and all the normals details in the final texture.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, taking a little break before starting on the lowpoly, have a few other projects to work on :)
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Did this to test out nDo2 and dDo since I own a license for them but barely use them :/
    I got into art of blender: volume 1, take a look at the pre-order if you want :)
    929UaFA.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Another small project, going to try and "copy" the style of different games first out is fallout 3/new vegas.

It uses a 1k texture and a wooping 537 triangles, so I am thinking I will try and keep the other styles under 1k too.
    Not started on the texturing yet.
    cOWmPUv.jpg
    Will get back on the vehicle when next month starts.
  • Sam Hatami
    Offline / Send Message
    Love it! Don't be afraid of giving it more tris around the larger inner bends.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Will add more tri's there and rebake it at the start of next week ;)
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Considering this done, not going into my portfolio or anything, time to chose another game.
    P1HCw5R.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again guy's, have been busy with a few things :)
    Got back to the lowpoly of the vehicle a few days ago, would be nice to get some opinions on a few things.

Planning to do one more weapon for the vehicle, for them to be switchable in the "game" but I am not sure if I should keep the weapons on it's own texture sheet or not?
    So far I am thinking the vehicle on a 2k map, the wheels on a 1k map and the glass on a 512 map, so it might be a bit to much to have the weapons on a 1k map also, what do you think?

Wanting to keep the lowpoly under 30k tri's so far it's on 18k, if there are any places that stick out please tell me.
    kMjyP8f.jpg
    Blockout of the second weapon.
    eCWJnGV.jpg
    Something I have been working on with a friend, he is a coder so we are maybe making a small game.
    7tIfCVn.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost done with the lowpoly, it's at 28k now, my goal was 30k or below so it leaves me room to do the second gun.
    Also going to add another loop at the tires in the back.

Please critic :)
    JGwZwap.jpg
  • OddEyes
    the only thing that sticks out for me is that little bolt at the front bumper, that as a rather high tri density is seems. Other than that, it looks great. Looking forward to the bake!

a queation, is it common for key vehicles to have up to 30k tris?
    I ask because i'm working on a rather complexe vehicle myself and i'm not sure how much would be ok, and how much is over the top.
  • S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    OddEyes wrote: »
    the only thing that sticks out for me is that little bolt at the front bumper, that as a rather high tri density is seems. Other than that, it looks great. Looking forward to the bake!

a queation, is it common for key vehicles to have up to 30k tris?
    I ask because i'm working on a rather complexe vehicle myself and i'm not sure how much would be ok, and how much is over the top.

I think that some car games have between 500k and 100k, but i guess that car games got less detail in the environments.