Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stromberg's Gameart book

Replies

• scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely work dude, I'm loving the direction this bad boy is heading.

Currently the scene has some depth created by the silhouetted foreground, mid ground and the foggy background. Something that would improve this effect would be to lighten up the mid-ground so its a little bit more of an average luminance between the fore and the background. At the moment the mid-ground is so dark that the focal point (presumably the mine cart) is getting out staged by the lighter background elements.

Also, framing the composition on the rule of thirds would make it feel much more dynamic. Push the mine-cart off centre to the left and the background off centre to the right, then bathe the mine-cart in light and you'll be onto a winner I think!

The minecart's textures look pretty damn awesome too man, shame we cant see them!

- EDIT! - I actually much prefer this versions lighting, but the composition would still be much more dynamic if it conformed to the rule of thirds.
    03Xkp.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks mate :)
    Now that you mention it, I can see that the minecart has gotten darker for every update really and the background has become more "important", which was not intentional so I will fix that :)
    Also good to know what lighting you like best, will try and recreate that lighting.

I did use quite some time on the minecart texture, not quite happy with it, I will try to show it of better ;)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had to redo the uv's for the mine cart also doing to textures over again, because of some troublesome specular seams in udk.
    So this is a update on the road of changing the scene for the better, might not be a huge update yet :)
    hG1ov.jpg
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Looks cool, but about the texture couldn't you just use render to texture from the old textures?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource: Thanks :)
    I was thinking about using the old textures, but I was not happy with them and the texel density would not match the old textures.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Looking nice man! How about opening up the area, and giving it a little more room to breath. Kinda like this...
    stromberg.jpg

Things you should avoid, are straight edges. Things merging and creating too much noise in your composition. This is a cave so for visual delight, you should have negavite space openings showing more of the environment. Adding things like cables, and crates will also add to the "mine" look.

Lookinng great, keep it up!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice lens flare ;)
    Thanks for the paint over love a lot about it, will work on it when I get back home from work tomorrow.
    3 hours until work, should been sleeping hours ago :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been chatting with raul and working on the paintover he posted here, I owe him one :)
    Hope you like the update ;)
    k7zHm.jpg
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockstar6 polycounter lvl 11
    looks nice, looks more alive with the extra support beams and stuff. =] Maybe you can make the green crystals a bit more detailed? like these http://orbart.free.fr/Gallery/Images/crystal.jpg

Just a small suggestion ;)

Cheers man,
    Rockstar6
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was afraid that picture might come up xD
    You are right though, now that they are so close to the camera I have to do something.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    i saw him take those screenies today :D lol good job
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hmm maybe read up a little bit on composition as well, just go through the basic stuff like Rule of Thirds. I really like the paintover that raul made. Has lots of interesting in it, really nice vivid colors. :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26: Thanks ;)
    chrisradsby: Thanks, I will be reading up on that today.
    I like the paintover myself, maybe I should up the contrast some, we will see :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, hope it looks a bit better :)
    Hoping to close this scene up soon.
    XKleb.jpg
  • MystiqueX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MystiqueX polycounter lvl 7
    I like the background lighting and the idea of spider webs all around (although they may need a little bit more work - various transparency values and a more random look), but I also liked the foreground crystals and seeing the details on the wood beams. Nice work so far!
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking much better! I love it, (good call Rual) and good one dude for capturing the concept so well. Gotta agree with Mystique on the Cobwebs, getting some sparkles from water droplets on them would be awesome too.

The general composition and overall atmosphere is great! Good work :D
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks both of you, hope this address some of the things you mentioned :)

Well I am calling this done, time for another projects and a new scene when the time comes :)
    smJSE.jpg
    kYD5N.jpg
    TN5BR.jpg
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, tho what have you done to that poor barrels metal?
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! Loving the wood texture for the poles.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource: I have no idea really, for some reason the reflections fucked up in that one spot :P
  • MystiqueX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MystiqueX polycounter lvl 7
    Nice job with this one! I like the final textures and the overall feeling of the piece.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, a lot of it is due to all the great critics I got here on polycount and from friends :)
    Planning to do a bigger and lighter environment next time.
  • OddEyes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the final endproduct. Can you tell me what texture resolution you used for the tilable wood (the one in the top right on you texture sheet)
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockstar6 polycounter lvl 11
    nice job =] you also adjusted the crystals like I told ya, haha ;) keep it up man!

cheers
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OddEyes: Thanks a lot dude :) I used 1k for that texture, could have been smaller but since one of the beams was so close to the camera, I decided to keep it like that.

rockstar6: Thanks :) Yeah, I had to change the crystals to a more detailed version.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something I have done for overdose :)

Awesome concept by Joseph Silverman didn't quite do it justice.
    cUv26.jpg
    keZAf.jpg
    Ze4e6.jpg
    a1hvr.jpg
    X8EWo.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Stromberg! You're really getting more awesome! :D The pipe at the end there though, you really need to fix that somehow, the texel-density there is just way way different than the rest. Most of it is passable and you can spot some density problems here and there but overall it looks really good. Really nice job on the texturing on this one! :)
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome only thing would be that i think it looks like some things look pretty sharp on flats while some a bit blurry.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, means a lot to me :)
    I'l try and fix that barrel on the end there before I get it ingame ;)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some props I have done for a scene I am working on, hopefully I can show the scene soon but I want to get a few more things ready first :)
    This is only ao and normal will texture those at a later stage.
    QK7VJ.png
    They all share a 2 k texture.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    That overdose gun is really cool. I love it man keep up the work. I think overall you have some really nice texturing skills and its always good to see textures with some typography in them. I love the way the mine cart scene is laid out as well. Keep up your drive its very strong.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guy's :)

Here is a wip of the scene I am in the end using those props for, nothing in the scene is really finished yet, want to clean it up after the messy blockout phase I had, so will mostly make building pieces for the next days :)
    zqrP0.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiny, tiny update, hopefully I will have more to show by tomorrow :)
    6gv9i.jpg
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Yay! Go Norway Go! :) Looking forward to see more of this! :)
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    This looks awesome! My only crit is that you can easily notice the straight sides on the dome thing.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update today, hopefully will get my ass into gear soon, been a bit lazy lately :)

Got carried away making background buildings yesterday(as you can tell),also none of the assets are finished yet.
    wLgA4.jpg
  • osk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osk polycounter lvl 4
    love the bike seat / bat weapon got me laughing
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osk: hehe, thanks it might be a bit crazy :)
    nathanbarrett: Forgot to answer this yesterday, will definitely change the dome model to one with more segments ;)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, stuck on where to go with this scene, but I am feeling better about it now than before :)
    blkeg.jpg
    So a lot will change before I even get near to completing this, next up is working on some of the tileable textures in the scene.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slow progress is slow, I have been busy with getting a job stuff lately ;)
    AciEv.jpg
    Critics are MUCH appreciated :)
  • Vizjerie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vizjerie polycounter lvl 8
    nicely done! Love the skychief gas machine
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    This is awesome Stromberg! The progress is coming along nicely. A couple of things that stood out for me with the most recent update are:

The forward most, metal sign; The texture looks odd, it doesnt seem like the metal could physically fit together like that, IDK. Something just seems off. I like the idea, but the more and more I look at, it just doesnt "fit" together to make it believable if that makes sense? Maybe try adding connect points, where there is scrap metal holding the pieces together or something like that? It just seems like a flat shape, with some sort of normal of oddly placed metal on top of it. This is not meant to be mean, or offending in any shape or form, just thought I would try to describe it as best as possible!

Another thing; The tire stack on the right, is awesome, but the tires themselves are very noisy, and to be honest, I am not even sure if they are tires. I am only saying that because I am relating the shapes to real life objects and looking at the props from your above post, my mind is just filling in the blanks. At first glance, they seem noisy and not exactly recognizable? Once again, just giving some constructive criticism, as this is what helps an artist develop, rather than sugar coating it :)

Otherwise, I REALLY like this scene. Its unique. The fog might be just a tad strong, with the empty sky and the lighting being used. It also seems a tad too monochromatic. If this was more of a slum or post-apocalyptic, things would be a tad more washed out, colorful if that makes sense? You would have a bunch of random metal bits, canisters, etc etc. They would be worn and the color would be sun bleached, but they would add a bit of color. At the moment, the eye is really drawn to the red gas tank after noticing the forward most sign (I think that is what that is, it is what replaced the old Welcome sign.).

Awesome progress though, will be following for sure! Love the post-apocalyptic scenes, no matter how much people say they are over done :D
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw, love your idea about the backdrop. There are some pointers I could give you about concrete and reinforcment and how to break that up, but I can show you on msn later :P But simply put: you wont get clean reinforcement bars sticking up like that when concrete breaks, add chunks on those and you're closer to home!

1) I think you can afford adding more geometry in the corrugated metal plates that you scatter arround, since they are so few, it won't do much on the tris count, but it will help out with defining the textures. This probably goes with softening up that cloth.

2) The idea with the dome is neat, i like it alot! You should try and make the textures with more elements, rather than a few big patches, so the scale of the dome reads correctly. And make sure you don't overscale rivets and such on that texture.

3) I think you have most of your general things up. You could probably go on adding fillers, expand your ground with a bit more vertex paint diversity (and rubble). (Don't forget to rubble up around your grass with minor stones aswell, or add a parallaxed "dirt/small rocks" texture rather than what you have)

4) Along with nr. 3, you could probably expand the idea you had about aging and breaking up the walls with vertex painting.

5) Don't worry, you'll do just fine ;)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now this is what I call critic, thanks a lot guys :)
    Really helps me to understand what others notice when looking at it.

A few quick notes, the tires are going to change pretty quick, did a rough texture pass on them some time ago, hence why they look so noisy, also texture on the sign is placeholder atm, it's going to have it's own unique texture, I felt a metal sign worked better than the wood sign I had before.(Tell me if you think other wise)

Now I just have to get some food and wake up and then start addressing your critics :)
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You woke up six hours after me... my god, the sun must raise up late on your side of the mountains :P

One more thing on the dome. Add some pipes/vents/chimneys/outtakes on the dome, at the moment its a bit underdetail on the geometrical side aswell.

Nu m
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's just me not bothering to get out of bed :)
    You are right about the detail, gives me some ideas on how to improve it ;)
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Wow that picture looked so familiar :)

I've tried to model that scene once, but never finished it. It's from a Rage concept art isn't it :p Looks really good, can't wait to see the finsihed result.