Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stromberg's Gameart book

Replies

• gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    BASTARDO I just finished a cannon! lol Looks pretty good but I'm not digging the proportions, it seems like the back of the cannon I think could be longer, just looks a little wierd to me
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    gibson543: mm, you where right so i made the back a bit longer.

Update time:
    9AwD6.jpg
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    the canon looks great~

looking forward to see the textured version
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    the lamp looks really cool but i think with a gradient on the glowing glas you could reach a better level of greatness. As you see in the axamples, at the egdes there is more dirt for example so that there is less light then in the center.

400_F_5211268_76NPclhm6OxyvuEpPtQJLwKCjNbSJgwG.jpg

3473994715_4660b56aa3.jpg?v=0
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio: Thanks, and i am looking forward to texturing it :) Not so much the uving tough xD

SimonT: Thanks, i did try to get that effect going but i sorta gave up a bit to early i migh go back and redo that part :)

Update time:

Sculpted some wood in zbrush it did loose alot detail when i reduced in mesh lab, i might make it a bit higher poly.
    Keep in mind that the wood wont be so lumnpy when i get to baking it and generating some detail normal maps.

MfuNi.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are thinking of commenting i just want to make clear that i have scrapped the wood sculpt, going todo it all from bump maps ;)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time: I have now done the lowpoly and uving, everything that is on both sides is overlapping on the uv's.

The triangle count is 5312 triangles.
    s9EKu.jpg
    f2mtp.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done with the baking, so just started texturing, i bit tired right now so i had to quit texturing, cause i didnt do anything usefull :P

CdvXO.jpg
    AoRm7.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    The high poly cannon is looking sweet! I liked it better before zbrush. It looked less blob like. Those ropes look pretty cool! On the low poly, you may need to give the wheels more tris right now they are too pointy. Same goes for the end of the barrel. Where is round, is looking too pointy. Check your silhouette when your adding those tris. Is only the outer silhouette that you should be concerned with.

I know you just got started texturing, but the wood base texture in use looks like is just a giant tile. And its all flowing the same way even on the textures. Post up your reference. Im curious to see what the wood looks like there. Texturing wood is hard! Just keep trying till you get something that looks natural, and not cg.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul: Thanks alot, i didnt like my zbrush attempt myself either :P
    I might go back to the lowpoly and add some more edges at places, since i did notice it myself when i started looking at the model in toolbag :P

Yeah, i have never been able to texture wood in a good way, but that is just one more reason to try and do it :)

Here is my main refrence.
    http://www.blackelfwarrior.com/100_0313.JPG
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As we all know my previus attempt sucked, so i have fixed some on the lowpoly and praticed texturing wood latley so i can do better when i get to texturing it.

This is just a test bake without a cage, just so you know ;)
    e0Ram.jpg
    GXlQ7.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    the low poly is looking very neat now! a few suggestions would be to make the inner circular shapes to have the smooth silhoutte as the wheels. or, kill the middle disc ( i guess thats the rim ) but keep the tube that comes out. So in the end you are left with the wheel, and last tube that comes out.

Looking forward for those textures!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks raul for taking the time to reply, thanks for the nice critics and i have worked on them, now i am baking the maps and getting ready to texture pretty soon :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since my last post, atleast for my standards ;)
    Been struggling with the cannon, but i think it's due for a post :)

Keep in mind the specular map is just a quick one to get some highlights in there, and i am no way done, just wonder what you think so far, so keep them critics comming.

DTneR.jpg

Main refrence:
    100_0313.JPG
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done some more on the texture, this is screengrab using the flat shader in toolbag, so it's no lights, no specular or normal maps, just the diffuse.
    98uXk.jpg
    And i would realy appreciate if you took the time to comment, since i do need some help and motivation to finish this :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i am about to call this done, and it's about time i say :P
    Hope you like it :)
    4ID5K.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man! Nice update!

The wood is looking pretty convincing,tho I would spend a bitmoretimeon it. Add more detail to the rope and the cannon itself. At the moment the wood its the only thing that's gotten massive amounts of attention. see about balancing that level of detail among all the elements of your piece.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raul: Thanks, for the great critics and i have tried to work on the other parts.
    7DEIt.jpg
    Feedback is very appreciated :)
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    liking the texturing on the canon
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o: Thanks alot :)

Well time to start a new project, this time i will try myself on this concept from Paul Richards(www.autodestruct.com), as you all know he's an amazing concept artist.

Here is the concept.
    quake4_vehicle11.jpg

I realy suck at doing cars, so i cant promise this will go fine :P
    But i hope to get some help and support from you guys :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a simple blockout i did yesterday, but forgot to post it.

Please tell me if you see something wrong at this stage :)
    I9kfL.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i have hit a little bump in the road, as my desktop has crashed, so needless to say i cant post any updates or work on the car until thats fixed.

Happy modeling ;)
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the edges on the wood look too perfect. i'd throw in some dents and wear on it for sure.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    the wood on the cannon looks a little too yellow for it to be something old. I would like to see more ware on the wheels and dirt on the side from being exposed to the elements for so long.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was pretty sure this topic died after i posted last time, good to see some life here.

popngear: Yeah, i did try to make it more beat up but i did fail, wood was alot harder todo than i tought at first, will keep it in mind ;)

SasoChicken: Glad you like my work, warms my hart and keeps me going :)

Jet_Pilot: Yeah, i should have desaturated the wood some more, altough i didnt want it to look extreamly old like the one in my refrence, cause then i would have to rust up the cannon itself some more aswell.
    thanks for taking the time to critic :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hy again.
    I have a new project going on, doing a forklift this time. I hear you yell "But you already have a project, finish it you lazy bastard!"

You are right I did, and there is a chance that I will go back to it later, but not for now, when I'm better at modeling maybe ;)

Critics are very welcome :)

Blockout:
    XhDVG.jpg
    Highpoly:
    0Iyv7.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hy again, polycounters.
    I know it's been a while since I started this, so it's definitely time for a update.
    Have been lazy lately, so I hope to get more frequent updates going.
    3yTar.jpg
    Thank you for looking and please leave a comment ;)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update, new rendering setup this time, think it works better :)
    Critics are very welcome ;)
    hAMkx.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on that forklift, but before i post a new render of that.
    I want to show you something i started on yesterday, this is a wip btw, still more things I need to do.

It's based on a concept i found in the bioshock art book.

Please comment :)

Concept:
    6PnQ0.jpg
    Highpoly:
    NDomH.jpg
    zB1It.jpg
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyres look unconvincing :p . Edges are too sharp imo and grips kinda too shallow
    So how about pick a nice reference and try to match it as close as possible?
    Forklift_Tyre.jpg
    And for extra twist you might be want to try a tyre with zigzag pattern for more modeling experience! XD
    Fork-Lift-Tyre.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have quite a few projects to finish now, hope you will stick with me :P

binopittan: Thanks, I will work on the tires once I get to the forklift again.

Just finished the lowpoly, uv and bake on the bioshock machine.
    I am not going to do any drastic changes to it anymore, I would still be very velcome to critics to carry with me, and if it's not to big change I will change it.
    Going to start texturing tomorrow.

Lowpoly with Normal and AO from toolbag.
    6ufpZ.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hy again everyone, the polycount on the last one was way to high, so I redid the lowpoly, uv and baking.
    So started on the texturing, but I really do need some help from you, I am not quite sure what colors I am going to use, I was thinking of blue for the pipes, but I am afraid that it will look a bit to flashy.

So if you have something to share please do :)

Model with Xoliul shader
    DDPHv.jpg
    Wire
    M6FzQ.jpg

If anyone is wondering, I did the welds on the highpoly with splines and noise, after that I "found" this script http://jokermartini.com/extras/217/Welder works great, really worth a look.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well final finished with this went really slow, have been working on some other projects, and had other personal thing going on.

If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer those, and hope some of you like my model and textures ;)

In toolbag
    CFuuG.png

Wire
    rmTVD.png

Highpoly
    9nPpZ.jpg

Texture Flats
    7J2RR.jpg
    lFd9i.png

Not happy about the uv map, was better the first time but had to change it and did a loosy job.

Tri-Count: 5278

Texture Sizes:

Diffuse and Normal: 1 k
    Specular\Gloss: 512 x 512
    Glow: 256 x 256

If anybody wants I can clean up the psd and make that available for download.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    duuude! that looks clean! nice textures!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good! My only gripe is the texel density, it's way off at places. Other than that, good work! :)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    yea other then rearranging UVW better its pretty cool :thumbup:
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work, texturing and modeling is great. UVW's could use some work, but you already pointed that out.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, all of you :)

Might be time for another update I have 3 - 4 different projects going on, trying to finish the older ones, like the forklift fairly quickly.

One other thing I have started is a weapon by a f,e,a,r 3 concept from Eliot Lilly, love many of he's concepts, take a look at he's blog: http://eliottlillyart.blogspot.com/
    I know there was a f.e.a.r 3 art dump some time ago, and that the weapon might be there I don't know if it was included in the game, but I am planning to stay away from looking at that, as I want to see how I manage on my own.

Forklift
    hxSZX.jpg
    qbUqA.jpg

Assault Rifle

Concept by Eliott Lilly
    Assault_rifle.jpg
    ZpOxj.jpg
    8AY3u.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done with the highpoly for the forklift, unless any of you have critics, and I would be really glad if you have :)
    Changed the pattern on the wheels, tweaked some shapes, made a new seat and added one more light.

wolOq.jpg
    A4gu2.jpg
  • SveinY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Great work on the fear weapon :thumbup:
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY: Thanks for the comment :)

I have started working on the lowpoly for the forklift, currently at 2.870 tri's, still a lot to do, and to optimize and what you see here ;)

UHDJw.png
    PWPuH.png
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a update on this, not really cool or exiting, but I hope someone likes that I am trying to share more than before.

Up in 9.980 tri's, wondering if I should keep the wheels on this polycount or reduce them.
    I also plan to let the wheels have their own texture space, and use a decal texture for placing stickers on the model without mapping it unique.
    ufY1O.png
    uuyib.png

Would be nice if you had some opinions, it's boring and kind of tragic talking to myself :)
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    Hey dude!

Your low poly isnt consistent over all. Some elements are crazy optimized while others are totally wasteful.

The Tires for example are just insanely high lol.
    Heres a Tip:
    Keep the edge/silhouette the highest and work your way down.
    wheel_tris_dis_01.jpg

Put those saved tris back into the main shapes, add bevel edges to accomodate a smooth and clean bake! example, the Seat. give it a nice smoothed feel.
    Hope it helps.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helps a lot, I had a feeling the tires would grab some attention.
    I'l try and get some more smoothness in the seat and other parts :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on what beancube pointed out, and did the lowpoly for the rest.
    I will go over the model to see if there is anything more i can reduce or add.
    UV's next :)
    RvwW8.png
    0YMYD.png
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Poly distribution looks much better here. Good work.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex: Thanks :)
    Well here is the lowpoly with the normal map apllied, I was supposed to be finnished with this faster, but I had to redo some parts of my highpoly right before baking.
    VANf9.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice bake on that! hows the weapon going? seems like you didnt get to the big shapes on the gun but you already started on some of the small ones, Im not sure if you did that on purpose or just havent got to it yet?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged: Thanks :)
    I have not done much on that weapon lately since I am trying to finish this model first, and after I have done that I plan on finishing that weapon.
    True that I have many of the big shapes left, I had some troubles with some of them, and at times I start with objects at random.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, started blocking in the main colors :)
    E487g.jpg