Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    really nice dude
  • rory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    OniLolz - Like where it is heading.

Started working on a treant of nature's prophet. Did var 1 following my concept, then tried a more feminine version.

oCYNXxB.jpg
    vBOXQUB.jpg
    LpO2jSG.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG! That's a great idea, it looks awesome.
  • A1mb0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A1mb0t polycounter lvl 9
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you might get a more feminine look by reducing the hand size.

Also, the first one looks like wood, the second looks like woman wearing wood. I think I like the first version better.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    yeah i agree i like the first one better. But i'm also wondering about the stance, she will look pretty retarded walking like this :x
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Gonna call this done! Shall do the promo material over the next few days.

If there's any critique you'd like to give me now would be a good time, before the workshop gets their hands on this!

zAZnyvi.jpg
    Pv24ajd.jpg
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work Snowstorm, wow!
    Overall it look great but i think the lock at the back is a little blank, maybe you could add some runes/rust detail into it? but again, it already looks awesome ^^
  • branch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I'd have to critique something (because it's awesome!), I'd say that the head is a bit hard to spot, even knowing where to look.
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, my first cat wasn't catty enough - so I decided to start another one! Now it just looks like a bag of wet laundry.

Sculpting isn't my bag baby!

sf7f.jpg
    vhp8.jpg
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Snowstorm that is looking so good, does the golem not have a particle mesh you can edit?

Well, after a huge amount of trouble lasting 2 days, I finally managed to sort out my issues and have my low poly bake. There are some issues I have noticed myself but these seem to mostly solve themselves with the color map. Here's to hoping the animation section goes quickly so I can finish in time!

sfoDT3j.jpg

(Edit) Imgur seems to be down at the moment.
  • ponyplop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 wrote: »
    The Hallowed Horde by Prophet9 and Stefco

268x268.resizedimage

It's done!
    A big thank you to everyone who helped along the way with info on animation importing/exporting into this game.

A HUGE thank you to Stefco for his amazing texturing and painting work!!
    And coming up with that wicked concept as well :D

Cheers!

Incredible. beautiful colours too! love this.

Also, I'm really liking Snowstorm's Warlock golems, those arms! :D
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I like the Warlock golem as well.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    @snowstorm: fat! really awesome also on the textures.. looks really sweet
    @mdk: came out really nice and clear.!
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    Gonna call this done! Shall do the promo material over the next few days.

If there's any critique you'd like to give me now would be a good time, before the workshop gets their hands on this!

i dunno if it's just that one screenshot but the camera for the portrait doesn't look very intimidating. doesn't really suggest the scale of the golem or look very imposing
  • K-PAX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX polycounter lvl 7
    OniLolz wrote: »
    Started a rough sketch in zbrush, trying to get nice shapes. Very very WIP :)

already nice enough :)
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Alright, despite Onilolz intimidation (jking!), I continued to finalize my Disruptor mount. I think I am done with sculpting and will move on.

CxgetnE.jpg

Please crit if there is any major issues or worthwhile feedback.

P.S. To the pros around here, please less surprises on your work. It is becoming more of a showcase forums instead of a learning/WIP one. So many just post/make threads to show the finished state of their work which doesn't help, IMO, a lot of us who want to learn. (To be clear, this is not directed at Onilolz as he always shows WIPs. Though recently a lot of complete sets that show up out of the blue). /rant over
  • Stefco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the support guys :)

Heres some progress on the bm boar, Vextrakt did an awesome job with the model, and those bakes came out really well, made it way easier for me to texture.
    Couple of ingame wip shots, and from the texture.

79jZBYx.gif
    PreviewBoar_zps2e3881d0.png~original

Plus a concept for the bird :)

Birdcopycopy_zpscb7782a3.png~original

Edit: Gah.. thanks for the notice, reuploaded on photobucket but it shits up the quality a bit
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Can't see them stef :/ try to use photobucket or something :P
  • ponyplop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco wrote: »
    Thanks for the support guys :)

Heres some progress on the bm boar, Vextrakt did an awesome job with the model, and those bakes came out really well, made it way easier for me to texture.
    Couple of ingame wip shots, and from the texture.

Plus a concept for the bird :)

Edit: Gah.. thanks for the notice, reuploaded on photobucket but it shits up the quality a bit

You (and others!) have been busy! I really like the colour palette on the bird, interested to see how it translates to UV's!

Also, that is some very tidy UV mapping for the boar, looking forward to seeing these all animated!
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That BM stuff is looking great. Nice texture work.

I did a little more sculpting today. I'm going to start into the low poly unwrap now. 1500 triangles is pretty good - but 256x512 for the texture map - ouch!

ewyv.jpg
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Tamarin: I think the head is a bit too small.

More progress on my Disruptor mount. Still need a lot of polish :)
    4ZCF5.png
  • K-PAX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX polycounter lvl 7
    1.jpg

blockout~ any suggestion?
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys!

@quockhanhlk - I thought long and hard about this one. At first I wanted to keep it plain, since I believe there is value in having different amounts of detail in different places. In the end though I came up with an idea for a cute little rune and put it there. This also helped with a comment that a friend of mine made that it looked more mechanical than magical.

Unfortunately the texture res on the lock was never meant to have such small detail, so unlike the rest of the golem it's a little fuzzy, but ah well.

@branch - That was the original intention and how it was designed, so that the head would fit into the normal golem silhouette. Now that it's complete I realise I needn't have made it so hard to spot, but ah well. It works for me as it is.

@ike - you were right about the portrait. I've redone it.

All the newest changes, promo images and video are available in the workshop link. I'll probably compile all the wip images in my thread after the dust settles.

The Torchbearer by Snowstorm

200x200.resizedimage
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    It looks good snowstorm! I really want to see how the particle effect would look in the torch basin, I think it'd really change the overall look since my eye is drawn to the coals first and foremost. I think it's a little late for this critique but I'll say it anyway, I think the lock motif looks a little bit too modern looking. I'd stick to old fashioned looking locks since they have such a strong visual appeal, add some readable details, and in my opinion look more like a war lock than a peace lock. Sorry I went for the pun, I had to. I think if you changed that, it'd improve the overall quality of the set, but the question you'll have to ask yourself remains "after I did all this work, is it worth it to change this this and this or move on to my next item?". And that answer is purely up to you. Best of luck! http://bit.ly/18o5HbQ <
    link to google search of old looking locks
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    CHAOS CRUSH YOU

wgZQXy0.jpg

Got stumped the whole evening by a compiler error that gave no error message. Managed to fixed it because of a post a month ago from Spudnik, and the insight of Prophet9 on the hangout! So damned thankful haha.

Anyway, I've not seen any information on warlock golem rigging from valve, so I'll write something short up here if anyone else is doing and rigging a warlock golem. I decompiled the animations straight from the in-game files as smds and plugged them into the compiler.

However they gave me a sort of descriptionless error, and to get them working i had to reduce the number of bones in the animations to less than 52 as well as make sure both the skeleton in my LOD files and the skeletons in the animation smds were identical. Not sure if it was anything else I did along the way, but that seemed to work.

Note also that the skeleton in the fbx files from the workshop requirements page is not identical to the one in the game - there are extra bones on either the feet or the hands (can't remember) as well as the attachments. The fbx skeleton is over 52 bones as well, so if you do use it you'll have to cut some of the bones away.

its great that you pointed that out

some of the files on the site are OUTDATED, so the best thing is what you made, update dota and decompile the model

im going to warn valve about the golem file
    MdK wrote: »
    Snowstorm: Looking great man, cannot wait to see that with some colour on it. Do the animations work successfully then?

Guys remember it's part of the rules to post your WIPs as you go along.

Ty for pointing that out

yep guys, its mandatory to post the wip, that is one of various ways we can help the new guys
    OniLolz wrote: »
    Started a rough sketch in zbrush, trying to get nice shapes. Very very WIP :)

4Xu81.png

hahah, its nice on your models that i dont need to see the name to know who made it, you have a well defined style my friend, congrats =]
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Tamarin wrote: »
    Well, my first cat wasn't catty enough - so I decided to start another one! Now it just looks like a bag of wet laundry.

Sculpting isn't my bag baby!

sf7f.jpg
    vhp8.jpg

try to focus more on the anatomy before adding details

for the first blocks could work if you get some anatomy image of the animal from the side and start from there

the parts im missing more that are on the neck and head, they look a little out of proportion

and nice fur you are doing there, fur is something that i think its impossible to do on zbrush, im still trying to learn that magic =]
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YaayIgothimiiin_zpsff53cc5a.jpg So I finally got my model into the game with correct animations (disregard him being in the middle of the floor), the problem for me was that my version of 3ds max var the newest, and I don't think dota 2 supports those yet, so I got Prophet to export them for me and they worked like a charm! I'll probably not finish in time for the competition, so I plan on giving this bad boy some custom animations!
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Demon Hula-Hoop Attack! RAWR!
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might've over done the detail texture there a bit :P Just a teeny tiny biiiiiit.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't worked on the textures yet. I will do them after I've finished the anims and imported properly :P
  • heckaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think the model looks awesome! it has got some great anatomy and an unique and stable look, while still not sticking out of the box compared to the original model.
    cant wait to see it with some textures :)
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry guys, I won't be able to finish this month's contest, transitioning to ZBrush form Mudbox. :D
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Vertical - I'm considering doing that too - I'd love to hear about any insights or problems you've had (or are having) :D
    Chat, hangout or another thread perhaps, when you have time?

Cheers.
  • ponyplop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a quickie update to say I am still alive, just back home (and away from my rig) for birthday weekend! Gonna get back to Nott's tonight and turn the dial up to 11 so I can get my uni work and my DOTA submission up to a presentable level!

For now, I'll content myself with carving a Lifestealer pumpkin.[pics incoming] because it's Hallowe'en, CYKA!

Also, I'm testing out Maya as an alternative to Max,and doing all the painty stuff in PS/Mudbox :)

[edit, pics as promised]
    100_1918.JPG
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warlock_golem_03.jpg

lowpoly is also ready, baking now

... aaaand baked

warlock_golem_04.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty damn sexy.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Every time Neox posts something it just blows my mind. Amazing work!
  • Tomus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomus polycounter lvl 5
    so smooth, so clean 8)
    i guess is much harder to stay low frequency with details and still be good to go.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice as always Neox!

Here is my disruptor mount diffuse. Crits are very welcome.

oahXTSf.jpg
  • kahnibal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright,

This will be my third object for dota2 and first submission on polycount, so please don't be too harsh on the critic :) . I don't expect it to hold up to the amazing stuff i've seen in the thread so far, but there.

Fulmen of the Storm by kahnibal

vy4lq8G4FLyKv2.png

Disruptor is one of my favorite heroes, and i'm really impressed by the mount onilolz made.

So, how did I make it you ask ?

I'm not great at concept art, so i went on from a very rough basis

8GhxjJ4.png

Just getting an idea of the basic composition and colors of the original. I then loaded the base model into blender, made simplifications to the original mount mesh and went on with sculpting. I mostly used dynamic topology to work the mesh.

yJ8n53d.png

The low poly is then generated from the full sculpt and uv unwrapped.

q92ccuQ.png

Animation was mostly fixing the original weight distribution to fit the new model, so we'll go on to texturing. XNormal helped a lot here, and I won't go into detail for the masks. But one thing that helped me a great deal was a custom shader for blender i made beforehand.
    The node setup can be found here and here.
    Basically, I could get a good idea of the ingame look directly in blender, reducing the time needed for adjustments down the line.
    Finally, these are some picture from the texturing workflow, the texture itself and some ingame shots.

hcNuVR8.png
    4tESu7s.png
    v4vtPVm.jpg

Thanks by advance for any constructive criticism. You guys make amazing stuff, and i hope to get to that level one day.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm guys i'm kinda stuck with the golem now :|
    i can import him, but how do I test him in game? as it's the ulti if i'm not mistaken i would need a pretty highlevel Warlock just to spawn him. So how can i add him? My first ideo was to import him as a courier, but no dice, the polylimit of 3000 as opposed to 3500 prevents me from that

kahnibal: very nice mount, the texture feels a bit noisy tho

@vayne: thats the default 2 point light in max right? set up a proper lighting solution would be what i would test at first, because the 2 point never really reads well.
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox: Type "-lvlup 10" while you're in game. and "-wtf" while you're at it for extra fun.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Neox, when you import it, there is an option for "ability" rather than item. You can do it through that menu. Then as foxclover says you will need to use the -lvlup command.

EDIT: I obviously didn't read your post well enough, please ignore me.
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    Few ward ideas for Shadow Shaman

shd_sha_ward_00.png
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox - I really enjoy the "beaten" metal look. Great lines too.
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    Neox wrote: »

lowpoly is also ready, baking now

... aaaand baked

I like the metal detail too, <nitpicking> but I think its a bit over done and noisy. Maybe just tone the normal down a bit on the chestplate? Also with the chestplate being so beaten, the edges are pretty clean :P </nitpicking> looks great regardless!
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    @vayne: thats the default 2 point light in max right? set up a proper lighting solution would be what i would test at first, because the 2 point never really reads well.

I am still very weak when it comes to lighting in 3dsmax. Can you provide more detail on what you are suggesting or direct me to a reference which I can follow. Thanks.

Also, anyone has any suggestions on if it is possible to move disruptor left hand from the middle to the left a bit. As can be seen on this image:

gDu7TrI.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt wrote: »
    I like the metal detail too, <nitpicking> but I think its a bit over done and noisy. Maybe just tone the normal down a bit on the chestplate? Also with the chestplate being so beaten, the edges are pretty clean :P </nitpicking> looks great regardless!

i think i have pushed it too far into the diffuse, i'll see if i can use the vertexnormals to mask the oilyness stuff on the metal and not the per pixel normal.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My biggest problem with you golem is that you have used none of the color palette from the original golem. Other than that it looks bloody fantastic