Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] The Noire Clocktower Environment

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
Hey,

So it's been long due for me to make another personal environment, at least posting one. I decided to step out of my comfort zone and do something more in the lines of Team Fortress 2 and Sin City.

I came across this awesome concept, I don't plan on mimicking 100% of the concept, but it has a lot of things I like and I plan on implementing/keeping.(I have to look for the artist, I'll edit this when I get his/her name):

52257123ada20.jpg

Here is my really rough and early progress so far and don't mind the camera view, it's a bit off:

9677883990_f80f0e0144_o.jpg

Goals:
  • Create and atmospheric piece
  • Get better at shaders
  • Practice Hand-painting textures (regardless if they will be black & white)
  • Maintain a consistent art style
This list is bound to grow.

Things to do (as of 9/06/13):
  • Add some more props
  • Fix some props that I already made
  • Tweak lightmaps
  • Add minor color, I intend to have the barrels red
  • Work on the clock section
Tons to do, the list is too long, but I wanted to share at the early stages of my environment. Thanks for looking!

Replies

• aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update:

9683338138_f071ee98a4_o.jpg

Update:
    9/06/13
    • Added color to the barrels
    • Tweaked the lighting a bit along with lightmaps
    • Added a temporary cityscape in the background (tiledshot doesn't allow DOF:/)
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    why do you add the city? Withiut I think it's looks better. And the city doesnt appear on the concept.

Looks interesting, subscribed to looking forward how it's evolved. I think the atmoshere/ambient light will do the main work. It's like greenish or something like that.

One thing: the spider webs (my PRO enlgish, sorry :D ) can be bigger, when they're so small it's look strange.
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Looking sweet so far, very cool concept! I think it's a good idea to add a small touch of colour ala Sin City and I also think you should add a tint of green in your post processing to match the concept art.

I'll be following this! :)

EDIT: I agree about the city, I personally think it's a bit distracting at the moment, but perhaps the DoF will help. Also think you should give the barrels a brighter red, to make them pop even more.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9681357925_e5295ded8c_o.jpg

Thanks for the crits guys.

@Mikhga: Thanks! I added some green to it, hopefully it's better now?

@Mr Significant: I got rid of it , I totally agree with you about it. Great suggestions on the spiderwebs, I'll take those on next update.
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    That is a cool concept, haven't seen a lot of film noire stuff and so far its looking great, looking forward to seeing this progess :D
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Looking much better! But I still think you could increase both the saturation of the green tint and the brightness of the red.
  • SirSpangles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirSpangles polycounter lvl 4
    This is all looking very nice, but the entire time I was scrolling through the images I was waiting for you to finally add the clock face arms. Its there in the concept very faintly, I think it would really add to scene.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    This is looking very good. One of the things of the concept i realy like is the camera angle. Sharp vertical looking down. You seemed to have softened that and made it less sharp. I was just wondering wether this is the final camera angle or if you're planning on exploring a bit more?

Will be following this!
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Hopefully these changes are in the right direction. In terms of the camera view this is really as close as I can get to the concept, the perspective in the concept seems a bit off :/

9696070310_2ec8768de4_o.png
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good so far man :)
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    That's sweet. The red stands out a little too much now though. ^^ Gotta find the right balance.