Home General Discussion

Dexter

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    It should have ended last season with Deb discovering Dex at the scene of the crime. Damn that plastic sheet! That would have made this season interesting. Him in prison but having to consult on a serial killer on the loose or something, him not being able to excercise his 'dark passenger', son in care, Deb, Masuka etc not knowing what to make of shit, or maybe Deb wouldnt rat him out at all, would have been nice and dark. But they are just dragging the inevitable conclusion out at this point...

Ah well.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that was quite the twist on Sunday! Enjoyed the series so far, looked as if it would be a dissapointing one initially but it picked up a few episodes in.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Don't have Shotime so I have to wait for the next DVD... frickin' love the show! Sucks I'm missin' out..
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooooooo epic! overall I would say the season was anticlimactic... but damn! that ending! what a cliffhanger!
  • tommywomble
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I dont watch this show usually. just here and there when im at my g/fs when shes watching it. but i gotta say, holy shit balls mom, that ending was fantastic.
    I was so ready to make fun of my g/f for watching this show cause i mean... deb in love with dexter? come on.. LAAAAME. but then the ended just made even me crap myself. lol.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't like this season that much. The ending was great, but I thought it was pretty obvious that is how this season had to end.

I defiantly recommend watching Homeland on showtime if you guys have not...the first season just ended and it is one of the best shows I have ever watched.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Spoiler in-bound. Oh and angry opinions too.

This season was stupid. The entire thing - all 12 episodes, was there for the last 5 seconds of the season.

Debra looks over to Dexter.
    "Oh God."

Everything in the season was to add more significance to her discovery of her brother. I'm not a fan of this narrative approach as it makes it all feel less significant. They should have ended the last season this way but instead they teased that and then abandoned the idea.

Dexter's trip to Nebraska was lame. He has a dark traveler, we get it. No need to send him to another state to prove that. Oh but they tossed in a blow job.

Yeah Matthews was there for the hookers death. Debra you're such a good detective!

Laguerta's character is in the middle of an identity crisis right up until the last episode.

Geek McGamedeveloper will be the 2nd last seasons serial killer while Debra fights with herself morally over what to do about Dexter both as a killer and a potential lover*.

*What the fuck.

The final will be Miami Metro chasing down Dexter Morgan, serial killer.

EDIT: Oh and fuck the writers for turning Quinn + Batista in to joke characters only to try and pull Batista out of the shit-fire in the final episode. He (Batista) was a great character only to go fuck things up with this comedy duo.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Adam, use the spoiler tags! :P

Loved the ending, Dexter has always been one of the best shows and I still feel like it's standing strong... The writing and story might get a bit more cookie cutter over time, but hell I will watch it too the end.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer wrote: »
    Loved the ending, Dexter has always been one of the best shows and I still feel like it's standing strong... The writing and story might get a bit more cookie cutter over time, but hell I will watch it too the end.

This is exactly how I feel. I agree with adam but I still love the show and I'm always going to be excited for new episodes.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I can understand the criticisms of this season, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it. It had an interesting twist I didn't see coming about half way through, and kept me excited to see what would happen next. The end-season cliffhanger is a real killer though.. ugh, I don't want to wait.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Anyone watching the new season? I was skeptical at the end of last season, but this one is pretty good so far.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    Yes, watching it and loving it.

My feeling is that in the next (last) season, dex and deb will both go on the lamb after being found out by laguerta. Leaving miami metro. Hopefully.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enjoying it :) Glad its not the last season though, the stakes don't seem that high. But overall it has been an enjoyable season :)
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Dexter for me has always been a mediocre show. I don't enjoy the way there's a new antagonist every season. It's easy to watch though, and I do like Dexter (the character and actor). Hate Deb though. Every season there I am wishing it's her that will die...but she never does.

Sundays are great. Come home from work, crack open a beer, throw on Dexter for an appetizer and then follow up with Walking Dead for the main course.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    this season is intense. dexter is getting sloppy though.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    dexter is cheesey as ever, things line up way to conviniently and his kids seem like a total after thought hahaa. I am loving this season so far though, Isaak is a total badass, really dig ray stevenson's performance and his changing relationship with dexter. I have a feeling Quinn might bite it this season, which is a shame because I actually like him.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone still watching this show?

I like how Debs character has moved on from that static character to evolve a bit more on the opposite end of the spectrum. She's much more unpredictable.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    watched the 1st epidsode of the season, same old stuff with eye rolling moments every 2 mins and dexter acting like a complete idiot non stop, seriously, this world must not have security cameras anywhere to catch him in all those compromising situations/locations. ill watch it to the end but the show has gotten pretty tired.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    They show has gotten a lot better compared to season 5 and 6, but I still think season 7 was way better with Isaak Sirko. It's good that Deb finally gets to evolve somewhat as a character, I'm gonna assume shes gonna end up being some crazy killer of justice.

Spoiler for episode 2 of season 8.
    I think it's safe to assume that the killer thats messing with Evelyn Vogel is Dexter's new nemesis. Think he can match/beat Isaak tough?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my hopes for how it all ends... pretty much every one dies and dexter is a dark ass psycho. maybe he bbq's Harrison for some oh so tender/delicious honey Dijon bbq baby legs. I mean......what?!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    familiar scenario these two last episodes

prediction for this entire season
    Judging from the Hannibalesque scenario and the killer making others do the dirty work i assume it`s Evelyn Vogel herself who`s killing those people. She will probably play mindgames on dexter and force him to choose between his own life and that of Debra. In which he takes his own and that of Evelyn ,making him a martyr

but i do hope this takes another turn into something more exciting :)
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Spoiler response to Ravenslayer's spoiler
    Yeah I think that seems a bit likely, especially if you consider her actions in episode 2 where she more or less demanded that he went to the cabin. Obviously to see her work on the "killer", and then the DVD and calling Dexter directly. Then you have her more or less taking on a mother figure at the end of the episode. But I don't think shes the one who's gonna end up making him take that decision but Debra. I think Debras the one who's gonna end up finding out about Evelyn and tracking her down, only for Dexter to enter at the last moment when shes about to kill Evelyn.

And during the season I think Evelyn is gonna try to appear to help Dexter with Debra but shes really just gonna try to separate them more and more until he becomes her toy to play around with.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Only two episodes in and this season is way better than the previous few. That Evelyn character is fucking amazing. Have similar predictions to you guys, super excited to see how this series ends.
    please o god please don't let Dexter sleep with Evelyn. Or Deb. don't do it showtime don't do it.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "please o god please don't let Dexter sleep with Evelyn. Or Deb. don't do it showtime don't do it."

lol, the incest theme is strong with this show eh?
    In any case, it's uncertain whether or not there'll be another season.
    The execs are talking about ending this season with a 'bang' -whatever type of bang that might be :D
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "please o god please don't let Dexter sleep with Evelyn. Or Deb. don't do it showtime don't do it."

lol, the incest theme is strong with this show eh?
    In any case, it's uncertain whether or not there'll be another season.
    The execs are talking about ending this season with a 'bang' -whatever type of bang that might be :D
    I don't have a link handy but they've said several times that this will be the final season.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    why would dexter sleeping with deb be incest?

they're not related in any way shape or form except for upbringing. Joseph Driscol is his biological father, Harry Morgan is his adoptive father.

sure it's a gray area, but it's definitely not incest.
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockstar6 polycounter lvl 11
    I don't have a link handy but they've said several times that this will be the final season.
    Yeah, I heard that too several times in interviews with the cast. I am a bit disappointed the series is coming to an end tho.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy. A bit stale in the beginning but man did this episode finish with a bang. I was expecting it to have gone a different way.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8

Well...that was a crappy series finale.

Why did Dexter feel he needed to leave Hannah with Harrison? Saxon was dead, Elway and the other guy were off their tail, Deb was dead. It would have been the perfect fresh start.

I feel like the writers just did that to make it more tragic or whatever. Ugh. Pisses me off what he did to Hannah. All that build up, for nothing. Though that's how the show has been this past season...Introducing new characters and going nowhere with them.

You know what else sucked? No funeral scene for Deb and Dex. A final shot of Miami Metro and pals would have been nice.

Was really hoping they would have brought back Doakes with some sweet mechanical legs.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I with you on that Selaznog.
    That's far from an awesome ending to the series... Left me with a look on my face of 'is that it??...'

I don't know what i expected, honestly. Even having dexter found out my the police and then him going on the run with Hannah would have been alright with me. At least go somewhere with it...
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hoooooo hooooooo what a horrible, predicable and downright dumbly written show this has become. that ending felt so hacked together and rushed, and was super boring. why could they never have had dexter on the run? and meh, harrison, hes just a prop the writers could never figure out how to make into an actual character/interesting at all.

glad the series is done, it has become such a parody of its former self from seasons 1-4.
  • Grindigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grindigo polycounter lvl 6
    hoooooo hooooooo what a horrible, predicable and downright dumbly written show this has become. that ending felt so hacked together and rushed, and was super boring. why could they never have had dexter on the run? and meh, harrison, hes just a prop the writers could never figure out how to make into an actual character/interesting at all.

glad the series is done, it has become such a parody of its former self from seasons 1-4.

I agree, it's so terrible what it become after season 4.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i just started reading the first book.

it's a very good read, and way better than the show so far.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    I loved season 1 and 2 , then 3 came and it kinda got ruined , wich picked up again nicely in season 4. Saw season 5 and found it to be garbage , and didnt see any others...

Now from this thread i see that the season got even more silly and weird, wich made me think that i didnt miss on much heheh
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Yeah, wife and I were very disappointed. I kept waiting on them to pull something daring or interesting, but it was just played safe from end to end. Too bad, but great show in the general, especially the early seasons.
  • Kave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    This season was so bad it was insulting, i was actually disgusted by how bad the writing got and the ending wasn't as dumb as i thought it would be-but it was still pretty fucking dumb.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that was really weak. The whole season just felt like wasted time. They didn't come up with a good climax/finale so they couldn't really properly build up to anything.

I hated Hannah's character, and the way Dexter just went gaga over her just didn't make much sense to me. He kept making such stupid decisions, this was not the slick Dexter from the early seasons. The way Deb died was stupid and unnecessarily drawn out. I mean, really? She randomly has a stroke off-camera?

One thing I did like though was how Dexter took care of Saxon, and then Quinn and Batista's reaction to it.

Meh. I'm glad it's over.
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually did enjoy the finale. There was no possible way a serial killer was going to have a happy ending. He destroyed every life he touched and he did the best possible thing by letting go of Hannah and Harrison. Do you really think a psychopath would really kill themselves? They are selfish and have no apathy.

Deb was his only connection to the light and now that she's gone his darkness consumed him. Now, he's all by himself in seclusion where he can actually be who he really is, a serial killer.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the_Adri wrote: »
    There was no possible way a serial killer was going to have a happy ending.

Well I agree there, and I'm glad they didn't just let him sail into the sunset with Hannah. But Dexter has been so reckless this season and the past few. The police should have figured out who he is by now. That was the payoff most people were looking for. Instead, Dexter does get away completely clean, his reputation untarnished. They introduce characters like the one guy that was on to him and Hannah, just to have him die suddenly and not have any real impact on the plot. In my opinion a final season should be a culmination of what has come before, something that ties up all of the loose ends. Instead, we get introduced to a bunch of new and irrelevant characters and nothing much changes.
  • Kave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    Like, why the fuck did they introduce Masukas daughter just for her to be completely irrelevant? Hannah Mckay seemed shoehorned into it and Dexter being so madly retardedly in love with her that he just disregarded his whole life in Miami to go to Argentina(???) with a fugitive, was incredibly stupid.

They also tried to play vogel off as some mother figure that we should care about and feel for Dexter when she died,but really she was a fucking lame character and i was relieved when she died.I'm just going to pretend there are only 4 seasons of Dexter, unfortunately.

ALSO ALSO- the entire preimise of Dexter is " LOL HES A SERIAL KILLER WORKING FOR THE POLICE XDDD" surely the logical progression would be the police finding out that he's a killer, rather than the stupid direction they took it.

TL;DR- i mad
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    The way I've been watching this season is skipping to the last 20 mins and watching that as most of the time was just random filler nonsense. Had to skip back to see wtf happened to debra lol. Other than that meh.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol if you need only one thing to sum up how dumb this season is. Hannah is on tv as being a major wanted criminal and she doesn't even die her super recognizeable blonde hair or do anything to alter her appearance. holy fucking LOL
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    the killers don't change message would have been more powerful with him on the electric chair
    I wished for something more exciting this last season
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave wrote: »
    Like, why the fuck did they introduce Masukas daughter just for her to be completely irrelevant?

This bugged me too.
    I figured, if anything, she would have been the one to stumble upon evidence that would have outed dexter. She was just another pretty face

Harrison's character didn't go anywhere either.
    No signs of him becoming like his father.
    Pretty bland, but they had the opportunity to edge up the intensity with it.

Yup, Debs off-camera complication at the end was lame.
    If Saxon came in and finished Deb off, instead of the whole Blood Clot -> coma scenario , it wouldn't have been so weak.
    Imagine Saxon did kill deb, it would have given Dexter character even more incentive to go full-on serial killer at the end, not caring about whether he was being video taped or not. Just to see him finally lose touch with 'the code' that had protected him all these years. When he entered the cell to take Saxon out, he could have given the writers the opportunity to reveal his true nature to the main characters. This would have been enough to finally see him go on the run. Which most of us have been waiting for. Just to see him fall.

To finish up: A motherfuckin epic police chase... one of his friends(Batista or Joey) killing him... and his son witnessing the death of his father.

This would have allow the story to come full circle, especially to have him killed right in front of his son.
    Just like dexter's mom was killed in front of him.
    I could hardly be called a writer, but I thought that was a pretty important plot point.

/enough rambling from me
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey I just found a way cool ending. in my mind now, this is how dexter ended. "Ill cover you kid"
    http://youtu.be/KL_v4Mi6bdQ?t=3m1s
  • Kave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    Also the whole "QUINN I WANT YOU TO BE SEARGENT LOL JK IM GIVING IT TO THIS PERSON WHO EXISTED ONLY SO YOU CAN'T BECOME SEARGENT LOL XD" after which she ceased to be a character, was incredibly stupid....basically everything about this season was stupid.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow, I'd even forgotten about that. So much useless shit happened. It's like they wrote half of the season before they realized it was the final one.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Final episode......they should bring back Doakes.

"SURPRIIIIISE MUTHAFUCKA!"
  • Grindigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grindigo polycounter lvl 6