Home General Discussion

Dexter

Anybody watch the show Dexter? I started season 1 yesterday... and now I'm hooked.

Replies

• Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Its my favourite running tv show!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    season 1 is best, 2 and 3 enjoyable (2 has a really annoying char in it tho..), 4 I'm on the fence and theres only like 3 eps left.. John Lithgow is awesome mind
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    rooster wrote: »
    season 1 is best, 2 and 3 enjoyable (2 has a really annoying char in it tho..), 4 I'm on the fence and theres only like 3 eps left.. John Lithgow is awesome mind

Seconded.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    just watch season 1 and 2, and pretend it ended there, season 3 and 4 its like the writers were replaced by Mexican telenovela writers , just awfull.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    yeah season 1 is the better of the 4. I like dexter before he got all touchy feely.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Compared to the other TV crap, it's awesome! Season 3 aint too bad either, havent watched 4th yet.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I stopped after 2 as it feels like theres not much left for me to learn about the character... at least, nothing that I care about. If you like the story though you should consider checking out the manga/anime - Death note and Monster and then theres Mr. Brooks which is a fairly decent serial killer film.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    I like the series and that they are evolving the character. If they just kept every season like season 1 I think people would grow tired with it. But yes season 1 is definitely the best. It seems like every season since has had something that annoys me, like they have to destroy 1-3 characters. But by the end of the seasons I am usually pretty happy ^_^. Love the series
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    If you like the story though you should consider checking out the manga/anime - Death note....

I haven't read the manga, but I thought the anime was disappointing after the first season. Instead of the tense cat & mouse dynamic that drove season one, they opted to focus on L's weirdness and strange plot twists that deviated from the core Kira storyline and didn't really add much. The live-action movie was quite decent, though.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    most TV shows tend to go downhill after their first season, but I thought dexter's current bottom of the hill is still higher than the other tv show's hills :p
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I'm a Dexter fan as well. The first season was amazing, the second would have been as well, if they didn't introduce that Lila character. Doakes kicks a lot of ass. I liked season three, but Dexter started losing his edge there.

I don't like what they've done with the Rita character since season 2. She's a mega-bitch now, always up Dexter's ass about something... I like the Deb character, but they really need to stop giving her a new boyfriend every season.

I am on the fence about season 4 as well. I like Lithgow, he's a very talented actor, but I'm finding very little to give a shit about so far. I know the writers can turn it around in a single episode, but it's getting close to the end, and they haven't done it yet. I'm still gonna hope though.

About Death Note, I have to agree with danshewan. The anime was disappointing. It seemed like they had a set story in mind, then found the anime was popular, so they tried extending that story with fan fare bullshit for too long. It was because of that, that I couldn't get into the manga. The live action movie cut it all into respectable chunks, and left out a LOT of the crap. Never heard of an anime/manga called monster, so I will check that out, thanks. But Mr. Brooks was god awful... Just saying ;)

[EDIT] Completely agree with what Yozora said. Dexter's low, is still better than any other shows high. Great point.
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dexter is awesome. Season two is my favorite, followed by season one and three. Season four has probably been the weakest so far, but is finally starting to heat up (the last episode in particular had a ton of "oh shit!" moments).

I agree that Rita has become a pretty insufferable character, but that said, her presence is still very important for maintaining the balance between Dexter's two lives. Without her (and the rest of the family), the stakes wouldn't be nearly so high for Dexter. The real energy of the show comes from that constant tension between Dexter's desire to indulge his dark side, and the realization that if his true nature was discovered it would destroy the lives of everyone he cares about.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing about his lifestyle possibly "destroying the lives of everyone he cares about" is, he's not supposed to be caring about them to begin with. He's a sociopath, and feels nothing for anyone else. His "family" is a a kind of beard, hiding the truth from everyone, which is why he was with Rita at the start. She was emotionally damaged, and didn't want sex from him. And since sex was repulsive to Dexter, this fit his needs perfectly.

Don't get me wrong, though, I still love the show. If you guys really wanna be thrown for a loop, read the books. They are so wildly different than the tv show. the first one is pretty close to the first season, with a couple of major changes I won't spoil. I've only heard about the the rest of them, but I have them, and when I get a chance, will read them. If what I've heard about them is true, man, the differences are beyond anything I would have thought up.
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy, that was true in some of the early episodes of the first season, but as Dexter has evolved as a person his emotional life has actually become quite rich. He expresses love, rage, and even guilt; hardly the characteristics of an emotionally dead sociopath.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    rooster wrote: »
    (2 has a really annoying char in it tho..)

Yes, yes it does lol.

I think the story in every series is rather poor, but the characters are so great, I will watch it till it finishes :) That and Jennifer Carpenter has an amazing smile :)
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which is what the writers have changed that I'm kinda not too happy about. Finding a girlfriend doesn't make a sociopath into a more normal person. He started out as serial killer/forensics guy/man, and now he's man/forensics guy/killer on the weekends when he can get around to it possibly.

Not saying it's bad or wrong, or whatever. I'm no writer, but I doubt they would have been able to keep interest in the show for very long had they kept him doing the same things, but these drastic changes in the characters are kind of annoying. It feels like a "corporate" decision to give him all kinds of emotions, like he was Data from star trek, and it's all new, blah blah blah...

Still, I love the show, I love most of the characters, I love the suspense, it's just a great show all around. And like I said, the lowest Dexter moments are miles higher than the best of any other show.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    1ymu1h.jpg

The true TV Dexter.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    I watched the 1st and 2nd season. It is worth seeing, but not my favourite show. I always found it a little bit disappointing the lack of violence on a TV series about a serial killer. I belive they would loose some public with more violence but I'd prefer something in the style of SAW or even Inglorious Basterds...
  • Jasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jasp polycounter lvl 12
    Johny wrote: »
    just watch season 1 and 2, and pretend it ended there, season 3 and 4 its like the writers were replaced by Mexican telenovela writers , just awfull.

i agree with that, but even if most of season 1 and 2 were great, the last few episodes of each were not better than a direct-to-video thriller... even trying not to take it seriously, that was awful.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm, I disagree with the 3rd and 4th seasons being bad. I've liked every eps of the show.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Just finished watching Seasons 1 & 2; I really enjoyed season 1; season 2 wasn't as strong; seems like they are dumbing down Dexter's character, hated Lila, and they killed off one of my favorite characters. Going to start S3 this week.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    and they killed off one of my favorite characters.

I know, what a pity :(
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    the last episode with the thanksgiving scene was insanely good, one of the best moments in tv ive seen in a long time, ridiculously intense. Im liking this season so far, lithgow is a scene stealer and his character is so creepy. so far i have enjoyed every season, they are each a lil different but all pretty damn good tv.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying not to read all the replys because I'm afraid of spoilers. Just finished season 1 moments ago. I think I'm going to wait a couple days for season 2.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    talbot, honestly trust me, savor season 2 as much as you can.

Also i read all the books, i liked book 2 serial killer, but season 2 is much better ( except that annoying character, pardon my tits ) , book 3 is also shit, seems Jeff lindsay decided to write it off while watching supernatural on crack.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I've enjoyed all the seasons to be honest. I guess I kind of like the fact that the main point of the show isn't he has to kill someone every episode say like something with house or whatever where there has to be a medical mystery every episode, it's a bit different that the show has grown more around the characters more than anything else and I enjoy it.

I've been trying to get everyone to at least watch season 1 though =P
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor wrote: »
    I always found it a little bit disappointing the lack of violence on a TV series about a serial killer. I belive they would loose some public with more violence but I'd prefer something in the style of SAW or even Inglorious Basterds...

I disagree completely. Dexter isn't meant to be about just violence and torture. Sure its about a serial killer but the focus is on how he lives his life and uses that as a disguise rather than how he kills people. Plus his kills are mostly routine anyway, which is why the episode where that big guy "broke free" was so interesting :p I love it when things don't go according to the "plan". Of course I hate it when that happens to myself in real life :)

On the subject of death note, I liked the anime and it was one of my favourites (didnt read the manga). But I agree that the 2nd half of the series was pretty rubbish in comparison to the first half.
  • 3dskillet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm surprised that there is even a post on this topic.
    But yeah great show, my wife and i have been up till 5 am the last couple of evening watching ep 1.

One of those shows that you can't stop after one episode
  • Parkar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parkar polycounter lvl 18
    Johny wrote: »
    talbot, honestly trust me, savor season 2 as much as you can.

Also i read all the books, i liked book 2 serial killer, but season 2 is much better ( except that annoying character, pardon my tits ) , book 3 is also shit, seems Jeff lindsay decided to write it off while watching supernatural on crack.

He drops the whole supernatural thing in the 4th book though. The supernatural explanation of his Dark passenger in the third book removes almost all that's interesting with the character though. I wish he would have at least made it a bit to the reader to decide if it was all in Dexters head or not.

I just kinda pretend that the third book is just a story loosely based on what really happened.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    3dskillet wrote: »
    I'm surprised that there is even a post on this topic.
    But yeah great show, my wife and i have been up till 5 am the last couple of evening watching ep 1.

One of those shows that you can't stop after one episode

takes you guys a long time to get thru one episode huh!

but ya i've finished season 3 waiting for 4 to get on netflix witht he exception of the anoying character i liked 2 best then 1 and 3 a distant 3rd. i also dont like that dexter is getting emotions it kinda takes away from the whole point of the show. in season 3 it hardly feels like he "has" to kill to supress the urges. he's taken on more of a normal guy / vigalante thing than a serial killer/ vigalante thing
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I still have yet to watch season 3. I really enjoyed the first 2.
  • 3dskillet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    takes you guys a long time to get thru one episode huh!

heh LOL

yes we played it in ultra sloooooooooooooooooww- motion
  • KlausSilveira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm watching season 3 and, i'm not saying it's one of the best series ever, but got me pretty hooked up. Michael Hall is a great actor.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright just got done watching the last 2 episodes, and I KNEW they could turn a shitty season around in a single episode! Man that thanksgiving day one was fantastic! No spoilers, just I knew it would pay off if I stuck with it. NOW I'm starting to see the point of the season. Good stuff.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've enjoyed all the seasons to be honest. I guess I kind of like the fact that the main point of the show isn't he has to kill someone every episode say like something with house or whatever where there has to be a medical mystery every episode, it's a bit different that the show has grown more around the characters more than anything else and I enjoy it.

Completely agree.

Almost finished the third season, I really enjoyed it. That british c*&t ruined season 2 for me so yeah, I liked this one.
  • Hansell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dexters definitely my fave tv show currently running along with House, First 2 seasons where amazing, 3 was good and so far 4 hasn't managed to grip me like the previous seasons have, on a side not is it just me that can't stand dexters sister!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    The last couple episodes have been excellent. Extremely suspenseful and if all tv shows got my heart racing like those two, watching tv would be a cardio workout, seriously.

I think this if my favorite season now. I've liked it the whole way through because as soon as they introduced Trinity I knew it would eventually be him vs Dexter in some way. A chess match of sorts much like the first season was Dexter vs Ice Truck killer.

Seasons order for me now is 4>1>3>2

Also, Why is everyone so slow at watching this show? I only know a few people who are actually caught up with it. Most are a season or two behind.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lot's of people can't afford showtime, so they don't get to watch it every sunday night when it first airs.

A lot of people thought season two was ruined by Lila, and I agree. The Doakes thing ruled, though, so if you can tough it out through the Lila bits, and watch the Doakes stuff, season two would be incredible.

I still have high hopes for this show, and really want the writers to treat it, and us, with respect. I think they've managed to do that so far, with the exception of the entirety of Lila's story.
  • DoomiVox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The books are pretty great with the exception of something the author suggested as a motivating "force" of Dexter in the 2nd book. The family dynamic is hundreds of times more intetesting in the books and isn't injected with all of the cheese.

Unless a series is under the creative control of pretty much one person and not a comittee, it's rare to find the entire duration satisfying or consistantly good.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    hansel, no i think the character is a terrible person, such a whiney bitch,
    first 2 seasons she is constantly "i deserve to be detective i deserve it, dexter tell me who did this so i can prove i'm a good cop!"
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hansell wrote: »
    on a side not is it just me that can't stand dexters sister!

She's a fox.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Hansell wrote: »
    on a side not is it just me that can't stand dexters sister!

She is currently my least favorite character on the show, so freaking annoying.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    yeah her character comes off as annoying sometimes, but shes a damn brilliant actress...
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    most of the females on dexter are kinda annoying...
    rita (getting more and more annoying the more she gets screen time)
    pardon my tits (was very annoying to begin with and managed to maintain the same level of annoyingness thorughout)
    la guerta (gradually getting less annoying, but started off very high on the annoying list so still quite annoying)
    debs (annoying when shes whining to dexter and begging for his help/insight, which happens pretty often)
    new reporter girl (I think this character was designed to be annoying, miami metro hate her, her dad got annoyed by her and now even her annoying bf hates her)

But I still love the show :D
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Very much agreed, all the female characters are downright asinine. I don't like any of them either.

On the other hand the last few episodes of season 4 have been AWESOME. John Lithgow is top notch as this season's villain! Can't wait for the final episode!!!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    In real life, Dexter is married to Debra. The actors.

Carry on.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I knew that. Kinda weird :)

I think Dexters wise is mega-annoying, every little thing he does he's critisised, even called a bad father, even though his car turned over cause of the lack of sleep he was getting...wtf?

I really like the music in Dexter though. The track that plays over the end credits and sometimes during a scene, a really cuban track they have and that new one for trinity; great music.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    In real life, Dexter is married to Debra. The actors.

Carry on.

Really? That is horrible. She is an anorexic twig.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I knew that. Kinda weird :)

I think Dexters wise is mega-annoying, every little thing he does he's critisised, even called a bad father, even though his car turned over cause of the lack of sleep he was getting...wtf?

I really like the music in Dexter though. The track that plays over the end credits and sometimes during a scene, a really cuban track they have and that new one for trinity; great music.

So much truth in a single post. Rita's pickiness drives me nuts. She's getting all the sleep while Dexter's up getting the baby back to sleep, over and over again. You'd think she'd notice she hasn't had to lose sleep to take care of her child. I hate women like that, and unfortunately, my sister in law is exactly like that.

And yeah, I knew Michael C. Hall, and Jennifer Carpenter were married. Not so weird if you ask me, it's not like they're ACTUAL brother and sister, they're two actors on a tv show, so what? And the anorexic thing, I disagree, and think she's smokin hot.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot: Yes, how horrible. Why he doesn't just dump her because she doesn't fit your idea of beauty is beyond me!
    Mind you, I find her too skinny for my liking, but maybe you could consider that she's a person too, outside of the role she plays?