Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 9

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
Welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge 9!

Join our Skype group too if you want!

Mirror__s_Edge_WS_2_by_SxyfrG.jpg

RULES:

Please read all the rules.

This may seem like it's pretty complicated, and if you are starting out it can be overwhelming, so take it piece by piece. This can be broken down into a segments. Think about what will be unique, what will be tiled, what kinda textures you'll need to make, just plan before you go. Set your standards high for your work, do your best.

PLEASE look at the ref, and work hard to get the blockout right. Take your time before you dive into it and plan, this will make your life easier.

All that matters is that you learn and give and get advice and are willing to be critiqued.

So here are the specific rules:

Must make your own textures, no stealing, we can't keep you from it, but the goal is to learn, even tileables, I mean you can take someone else's image and make it tileable, that's fine.

You must use a game engine OBVIOUSLY. UDK or Cryengine will probably be the most used.

You must try your best and finish as much as you can in this month.

Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique and we don't have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

Well that's about it, if you think the rules should be changed let us know.

I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

Please stay away from Ddo, yeah, it's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, please don't complain.

Have fun!

PS: I am extremely familiar with Cryengine and can answer probably any question you happen to have when using it. Furthermore ask anything to anyone here, combined there is a wealth of knowledge. Cryedev is a massive source of knowledge as well.

PSSSS:
OPEN TO EVERYONE!
Join our Skype group too if you want!
GOOD LUCK

Replies

• Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    In for this one. Been wondering what to work on next and this is a nice concept.
  • Baron Flame
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
  • ben365-
    i'm in! first challenge! gonna be good! :)
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Ok lets start. Had an hour:

Blockout -

GY8bRo.png

Will be using Modo and Unity.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Looking good already with the blockout. Your speedy start has kicked me into gear :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Add me on Skype, lets get a Noob Challenge Skype group going!
  • Whiskey K
    So I am absolutely new, a fresh babby on the Polycount forums. But seeing this challenge, I knew it was just the thing I need to get my creative 3D juices going again. So I am all in!

I unintentionally ended up cheating on this month's challenge though, as while I was browsing through the voting thread last night, I saw this and decided to start working on it regardless. Now that it's officially the challenge, I'll be making adjustments to encompass the whole image that's missing. Anyways, after some work last night, and a bit this morning; this is what I have so far blocked out in 3ds Max. (I lit it, just to get an idea of how everything would work later on down the road [+fun])

polycount_monthly_challenge_preview.png?format=500w
  • Baron Flame
    Offline / Send Message
    Oookay, here we go again.
    It was apparent that the tunnel one was going to be selected for this challenge so I kind of cheated a bit. Finished the color breakdown the day before and started with the blockout yesterday. Also I am keeping a MNC journal sort of thingy, any n00b who wonders where to begin(I know I did) can take a look at that. The link is in my signature.
    Here's the color breakdown btw.
    Color-Breakdown.jpg

MrOneTwo wrote: »
    Ok lets start. Had an hour:

Blockout -

GY8bRo.png

Will be using Modo and Unity.

Woah! That was quick. So far so good. :thumbup:
  • hollandje
    Offline / Send Message
    hollandje polycounter lvl 4
    I will join i have my final tests on wednesday and from then on i'm free :D
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    I have been watching these challenges for so long now, this time I will join it.
    Here's my blockout so far:
    y2h7.jpg

At the moment I'm fighting with the hole, no idea how to get it in there.
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon wrote: »
    I have been watching these challenges for so long now, this time I will join it.
    Here's my blockout so far:
    y2h7.jpg

At the moment I'm fighting with the hole, no idea how to get it in there.

Punch monitor as hard as you can!

What app are you using ? It seems you don't know the program you are working in very well. For something like that you can use booleans. I actually created cylinder for the tunnel. Extended open edges on one of the end. And formed those into square shape of the wall in which tunnel sits in.
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Yepp, you're right, pretty big noob here :D
    I'm using Maya 2012, I'll try it using your techniques, definitely worth a try.
    On the other hand I am thinking about building the four main walls in UDK using these brushes they have..
  • ben365-
    OK here goes, here my initial breakdown of the scene! Trying to work how to show the image in the post rather than as an attachment, will need some help with that please, quite a newbie to polycount!
    Any feedback is appreciated! :)
  • Mischievous
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    Ok this time there'll be no mercy, and by that I mean laziness, I got my HDD working and it's time to kick ass :P

Also how would one go about in joinin said Skype group :O
  • ZweiBonobo
    Offline / Send Message
    ZweiBonobo polycounter lvl 5
    Hi !

The artwork is pretty nice! By the way, about this noob challenge. What is our polycount limit for the entire scene? And about the texture, do we have a limitation on the resolution, number of map or anything else?
  • ZweiBonobo
    Offline / Send Message
    ZweiBonobo polycounter lvl 5
    Hi !

The artwork is pretty nice! By the way, about this noob challenge. What is our polycount limit for the entire scene? And about the texture, do we have a limitation on the resolution, number of map or anything else?
  • Fashoomp
    Offline / Send Message
    Fashoomp polycounter lvl 10
    I'm completely new to setting up an environment in a game engine, but I'll give this one a shot! I've been waiting for the next MNC to start so I can hop on board. I know nothing about UDK, but I'll teach myself and dig through the past challenges to learn as much as I can.

I plan on blocking this out in Max hopefully by tonight.
  • hollandje
    Offline / Send Message
    hollandje polycounter lvl 4
    Shyralon wrote: »
    Yepp, you're right, pretty big noob here :D
    I'm using Maya 2012, I'll try it using your techniques, definitely worth a try.
    On the other hand I am thinking about building the four main walls in UDK using these brushes they have..

i'm a beginner, but i think you can just press the extrude button while you selected the face of the circle... not sure just guessing xD
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok this time there'll be no mercy, and by that I mean laziness, I got my HDD working and it's time to kick ass :P

Also how would one go about in joinin said Skype group :O

Add me on skype, I'll add you! alexmasterofcats
  • CDeniz
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    I dont frequent skype too much but would be cool to have a group chat going,, my username is dencetpop.

Btw Baron and ben those breakdowns help a ton thx.
  • Fashoomp
    Offline / Send Message
    I too would like to get in on these skype chats. My skype name is the same as my Polycount username. I'd greatly appreciate if someone could add me and pull me into a call.
  • Stockwell
    I'll be joining in on this one as well, I'll have to start a week late but we'll see how fast I can move. Great concept choice everyone! Good luck!

-Stockwell
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Add me on skype you guys and I will add you to the chat.

• Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    First time I take part in the Monthly Noob Challenge, I was always looking the other thread and wanted to take part.
    I never have the time due to my studies and final project but as I'm graduate now. I have some spare time to take part.
    I here to improve a bit all the field, modular thinking, texturing and work again with udk after working 1 year on a proprietary engine of my school.

I'm working with 3dsmax and as said will put this thing in udk. I want to stay a bit in my comfort zone. Next time I'll probably use Modo and Unity

Enough said. Here is what I did in a few hours. Modular piece almost done. Need to uvmap everything and setup smoothing group.

Modular_wip_1.jpg
  • breakneck
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    i think i'm gonna give this monthly challenge a spin.
    my goal is to learn the cry engine.
    get something started tonight!
  • Copletaf
    Offline / Send Message
    Copletaf polycounter lvl 3
    So ! Here is my first post in the noob monthly challenge too.
    This is my begining, in general modular.
    Using 3DsMax and will use UDK.
    VandermoutenCynthia_Monthly09_01.jpg
  • Razielim
    New month new hope... to finish it this time ^^
    I started with the rail and this time i did it modular.

Rail.jpg
    modular_pieces.jpg
  • visoutre
    Offline / Send Message
    visoutre polycounter lvl 6
    Gonna join in this challenge cause I love envrios, but I never completed one. Started the block out in Maya.

Okay I have a question that's bothering me a long time. I notice when people make modular enviros, sometimes they block out the whole thing in 3D package. But I'm not sure how you get it in game engine (UDK) after? I know how to export individual pieces as FBX files and import them into UDK. But then I have to rearrange the pieces in UDK a second time to match Maya's placement. Seems like an unneccessary waste of time if they are instanced and placed properly in Maya already.

I looked for some mel scripts and found ones that create a .t3d file, but they didn't work. I found a vid showing the process from Softimage, so in theory it should work? http://vimeo.com/64790942 Could you do this with Maya somehow? Maybe there's better scripts.

It would be so nice cause I love blocking in Maya but then UDK is a nightmare...

2013-07-01noobchallengeblockout_zps065df760.jpg%7Eoriginal

2013-07-01noobchallengeblockoutlayout_zps31c0b192.jpg~original
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    im in! been looking forwards to this!, will do colour block out at work when no one is looking :P

good luck to all. also, consider me in on the skype thing :D
  • Fashoomp
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update of my first block in. I was having some strange issues with lighting it in max, but hopefully it won't be an issue in engine. I plan on doing a further breakdown of my own scene to determine what is modular what is unique. I've never used UDK before, so if anyone has any good practices or tips or tricks I should know about when modelling for it, I'd love to hear it. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's work, and good luck!

KS25QFL.jpg
  • Baron Flame
    Offline / Send Message
    @CDeniz
    Glad it helped. :)
    visoutre wrote: »
    2013-07-01noobchallengeblockout_zps065df760.jpg%7Eoriginal

2013-07-01noobchallengeblockoutlayout_zps31c0b192.jpg~original

Nice!

Quick question guys, How do I render wireframe in Max 2014?
  • Meteora
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    There are several ways to render out wireframes in Maya. The two I know of is either do Maya vector via selection sets or mental ray contour lines.

Also nice work visoutre, already progressing far ahead.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished my blockout for now. 3taFm.jpg

I had a concrete texture sculpted but Imma redo it.
  • Copletaf
    Offline / Send Message
    Copletaf polycounter lvl 3
    Problem : double post.

VandermoutenCynthia_Monthly09_01.jpg
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    I will probably modify it so you can see both tunnels.... I will probably use one normal map for few props. Rest of the detail will come from spec/gloss... at least thats the plan.

srRMBN.png
  • Razielim
    @visoutre
    you make modular pieces to reuse them in your game or project, so you can easily build new scenes without to create them hole new in 3D programm.
    You dont need to build the hole scene in maya first but you can make it to look how the pieces fit, but you can also build all together in udk instead.

sorry for my bad english, i hope you understand me. ^^
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    @visoutre

Yep seems to be a waste of time but by working modular you optimize what you get in game. When you duplicate something in UDK for example it's less heavy than have your whole scene/blockout load in one time.
    Also this concept is really a small part of the whole tunnel. You can of course made it all in Maya and export this in UDK and have the same render. But if you have to create the full game level. You will praise lord to have made it modular and only have to duplicate asset to have all the level.

Made your level in UDK can be really fast if all fit together and have correct setup of pivot point.
  • ng.aniki
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    @visoutre

Yes indeed. Another way to do that, is to do a simple blockout in udk with bsp(No detail, just to have correct proportions), and export all this in .fbx that you can import in your modeling software.
    (Unfortunately, I don't like too much the bsp modeling in udk, but that's another story)

I Personally think that people are often spending far too much time during blockout, and end up with the whole scene in maya/max. For me blockout should really be simple, like a plan, to have proportions right. Then you model each pieces individually, and you set your scene correctly in the game engine.
  • Fashoomp
    Offline / Send Message
    I've decided to make a detailed analysis of the rails for this piece. These are simply the way I see them, but I believe it is fairly accurate.

q9uRziN.jpg
  • nick2730
    How are you guys doing the 76 ? as a decal ?
  • visoutre
    Offline / Send Message
    visoutre polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the responses guys. I just heard with other engines like Unity you can instance around your Maya objects and send the entire scene as an fbx file and it will sync 1:1 with their engine. Never used Unity so I dunno if it's true, but it sounds awesome.

Started blocking in UDK. Uglier than Maya atm.

2013-07-02udkblockin01_zps4bd16221.jpg~original

Another question, file management stuff. When you guys are modeling the modular pieces in 3D program, do you keep all the pieces in 1 scene or separate them while working? In the end I export each to it's own FBX file, but I have a master Maya scene where I'm working on all them.

Or maybe have a scene for all variations of a model (like wall_a.ma, wall_b.ma, etc) and separate scene files for prop objects and complex assets?

This enviro is relatively simple, but I can imagine in a real game industry scenario where they're using hundreds of modular pieces and working on multiple enviros, file management can become a nightmare.

This is how my structure looks right now:

files_zps2cbe3799.jpg~original

2013-07-02modularpieceorigin_zps75c6db16.jpg~original

@ Fashoomp. Nice breakdown. For the #3 you have, I think it isn't a guardrail but actually the Third Rail. It carries electricity and has high voltage. Pretty dangerous! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_rail

subway-track.gif
  • Fashoomp
    Offline / Send Message
    @visoutre - Thanks for the info about the 3rd rail. That one piece on the track was only thing I wasn't too sure about. I hope someone answers you about the UDK importing, because I'd like to know too :poly121:

My biggest concern about importing is floor tiles. Do I unwrap a plane and just add a tiling material? Or is my floor made up of individual planes to give the tiling effect.
  • Raindance
    Offline / Send Message
    Raindance polycounter lvl 7
    Hello guys. I want to join this challenge. I made a simple blockout and a basic highpoly.
    This is what I have so far:

fWk19oE.jpg

vmMxtTY.jpg
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    First pass blockout

qFREE8X.jpg
  • steppan
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    @visoutre - Awesome stuff there at linking about the 3rd rail. I have to admit I was a tad confused with the track area but this helps make sense

As for the file management, I'd be considered a n00b myself but the way I go about it is to have a master Maya/Max file which is organised through groups and layers to keep similar things together. That way I can also hide everything except what I'm working on. When I'm ready to export I simply move the mesh to the origin and 'export selected'.
    I like to do it this way as it helps me to see the bigger picture without necessarily having to jump into UDK while keeping my files down to a minimum.
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    I do also a master max file as I prefer having all the stuff under my mouse. And with layer to keep the file organised.
    When it's time to export I use the moptool (you can find this here) to avoid having to put thing in 0.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    This also might help a bit perhabs:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXRRS_My8yk"]Mirrors Edge Death by Subway - YouTube[/ame]

Also good luck all!
  • steppan
    Offline / Send Message
    wow that's an awesome script right there, but I think it's just for Max if I'm not mistaken? also does not export fbx :(

EDIT: I read a bit further into the thread and it appears that he DID add fbx export, good stuff
  • steppan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zocky

@zocky nice one, I also found this... You'll want to skip to 6:50 and you may want to mute it :P

Mirror's Edge - 11 - Carpal Tunnel - YouTube