Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaaand another update.

tunnel_76_wip05.png
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Manticora - nice one. Numeric decal looks so so. It looks washed out not scraped. I also don't like barbwire over the fence (even though there is one on the concept... I couldn't see it at first). Seems out of place a bit. You could also brighten up the tunnel a bit. You could actually brighten up everything. Tunnel needs it more than the rest though. Work on lightening and colours and it will look really good.

Now time for some material and texture improving:

P5ObGs.png
  • Manticora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ MrOneTwo:

Thanks! You're totally right, I noticed that the decal doesn't look right just when I posted it. I was actually planning to work on the final lighting tomorrow, and already thought of brightening everything up a bit - it's good to know that other people think so, too ;) But I guess I'll keep the barbwire, I like the way it's adding some detail ;) The whole fence is WIP though, I only added the texture of the floor grates to see what it will look like. So hopefully it will blend in better once it's finished.

It's funny that I'm seeing the opposite "problems" in your scene - I'd add some more scratches to the numeric decal and reduce the brightness of the lights in the tunnel a bit. :D Seems like tastes really do differ :) But I really like your attempt so far!
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    HELP: is there anybody that could possibly help me understand what I'm doing wrong here? I seem to be having some lightmass problems.

I have the 2 tunnels next to each other, in terms of texture when they are next to each other it's not a problem as the texture tiles nicely; But i seem to have some problem with my lightmass [I think that's what it is] you can obviously see a seam between the 2 meshes and I'm not sure why.

j9qxio.png

I've put the lightmass UV's on the grid-line and put some padding between the shells but doesn't seem to work.

Also this mesh IS still work in progress and will likely be re-modelled/re-mapped but it would be very useful to understand what's causing this issue to avoid it in the future
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    steppan wrote: »
    HELP: is there anybody that could possibly help me understand what I'm doing wrong here? I seem to be having some lightmass problems.

I have the 2 tunnels next to each other, in terms of texture when they are next to each other it's not a problem as the texture tiles nicely; But i seem to have some problem with my lightmass [I think that's what it is] you can obviously see a seam between the 2 meshes and I'm not sure why.

j9qxio.png

I've put the lightmass UV's on the grid-line and put some padding between the shells but doesn't seem to work.

Also this mesh IS still work in progress and will likely be re-modelled/re-mapped but it would be very useful to understand what's causing this issue to avoid it in the future

want a tip go onto the polycount Google plus chat group helps heaps
  • Raindance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raindance polycounter lvl 7
    Update on scene lightning. Everything is 100% dynamic, no more precomputed shadows.

JcF6T3c.jpg

Edit: more lightning tweaks.

RR0C5RY.jpg
  • Manticora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I'd call mine finished now, but please let me know what you guys think!

tunnel_76_wip06.png

---

@ Raindance:

Great work so far!

Only two things are disturbing me: the neon lamps don't match the color of the lights - the lamps in the tunnel should be a little more reddish, and those in the front a little more blueish. And I personally wouldn't mix three light colors, but replace the purple one with the blue/green you've got on the left side. But maybe that's just different tastes again :\
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tigMLM.png

Update. Will give some crits later. No time now!
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    Here's an update from me, I've been secretly working on this for the past week, but I forgot to post updates here, sorry!

rls4rk02.png

x4fmhg4u.png
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    So secret, you forgot about it yourself!

Looking good people. Cant believe it's only the 10th and many people's scenes already look finished and awesome.

Very inspiring. :)
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manticora - I think you could push it further. I don't think the values work in you image. Almost no midtones. I think you have a really good scene. Don't leave it like that. You can make it look even better.

Mischevious - maybe scale those lamps in the corridor a bit. They seem really small.

Another update. Fighting with Unitys HDR, tonemapping and stuff like that. Don't know what I'm doing.

UWIOef.png

edit: left corridor has different lightning setup than right one for now since I'm testing stuff.

What's up with rest of you guys ?!!! No updates !!! You are disgusting !!!
  • Manticora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ MrOneTwo:

Thanks a lot! I'm actually not sure if it's really a problem with my lighting or only with my images... I've heard that my images are way too dark on some monitors while all the others are looking the same. Does anyone know what might be the problem? I'm saving my screenshots in PS as .png with sRGB profile...
  • Raindance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manticora wrote: »

@ Raindance:

Great work so far!

Only two things are disturbing me: the neon lamps don't match the color of the lights - the lamps in the tunnel should be a little more reddish, and those in the front a little more blueish. And I personally wouldn't mix three light colors, but replace the purple one with the blue/green you've got on the left side. But maybe that's just different tastes again :\

Thanks a lot for crits. Here is an updated version.

9PcfjcV.jpg

It still needs some improvement before I can call it finished. Btw I think the wire fence in center looks really out of place, and I'm not sure about contact rails.
  • Manticora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Raindance:

You're welcome! That's looking a LOT better with the correct lamp colors, and the lighting in general really improved :)

If you don't like some parts of the concept, I think you should just feel free to change them and do it your way.
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    Coming in a bit late but i really wanted to join this time :D

So i've been banging my head around CE3 this last 2 days after completing my blockout in Max.
    I'm now starting to get basic textures in-engine and here's where i'm at
    polycount_monthly_noob_challenge_9___wip_by_nitroxart-d6d1k5w.jpg

Everything is still wip and i haven't imported a lot of modular pieces yet.
    Lightning also is not really making me happy at the moment, since it seems impossible to keep CE3 lights from getting washed out. Any pointers on that?

I'll be baking other props tomorrow and hope to get this in a decent spot by the end of the month.
  • SelwynPhillips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SelwynPhillips polycounter lvl 11
    Not as far as I would like to be but here's what I have got so far. I have made some fencing but from a distance you can't see it at all which is a shame because it doesn't look too bad close up.

tumblr_mpsnuzJorq1rk3q8ho1_1280.jpg
  • Raindance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update. I have added some dust particles and lence flares. I think now I can call it finished.

8PtIlyi.jpg
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to see more people!

62fUdW.png
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love what you've done, MrOneTwo. It looks fantastic and you've got really rich, saturated colors going on. My ONE crit would be that it feels like the lighting in the tunnel needs to be pumped up a little brighter (the concept is more blown out) but other than that, spectacular job!
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's today progress from me

polycount_monthly_noob_challenge___wip_2_by_nitroxart-d6d6eut.jpg

Completely rebuild the scene, as I figured out some stuff about Cryengine since yesterday and I made new materials with collision and such...

Need to import a few more meshes and modify the ceiling as i just noticed that it's a bit off;
    also floor need tweaking and i still have to model the doors between the 2 tunnels.

Will probably get it do a decent state by sunday!

@MrOneTwo: that's really coming along pretty good! loving those nice warm lights...wish i could find a way to get something close to that in CE3 : /
  • Klash-120
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klash-120 polycounter lvl 6
    So much updates from everyone else since Last I've seen this thread. I really need to go back & read them posts / comments & CC some.

Lil more work on my end. More blockage. Taking a turn for the opposite now D:
    Going with a fantasy theme. I KNOW RIGHT?

9275196444_2a49e5cf84_b.jpg

9272409731_6c0345c53e_b.jpg
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    i just figured out how to get my mesh into the cryengine.

collision isn't working for some reason.
    It was working fine when I dropped my massout into the forest map. But when I made a map from scratch, nothing i am putting down has collision.
    Anyways, look its amazing! - mass out in engine -woot
    wip_b.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klash-120 wrote: »
    So much updates from everyone else since Last I've seen this thread. I really need to go back & read them posts / comments & CC some.

Lil more work on my end. More blockage. Taking a turn for the opposite now D:
    Going with a fantasy theme. I KNOW RIGHT?

9275196444_2a49e5cf84_b.jpg

Only person ive seen so far being creative with this months concept! Kudos to you for taking the extra step and being creative!
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Love what you've done, MrOneTwo. It looks fantastic and you've got really rich, saturated colors going on. My ONE crit would be that it feels like the lighting in the tunnel needs to be pumped up a little brighter (the concept is more blown out) but other than that, spectacular job!

Thanks. I will pump those lights up! I would like to make the tracks more interesting. Will try to improve on those.
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    Slow but steadily completed my tracks piece, now onward to the rest of the scene...

x762w792.png

k8xyfuna.png
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, turns out I was an idiot and didn't reset the HDR settings in my ToD, and that's why myc lights sucked.

Anyway, didn't get much done today, but i fixed the HDR and some proportions but the pillar is still bugging me.
    It's kind of hard to match the camera angle...next time i'll probably set a fixed camera in engine during the blocking to avoid these problems.

Here's today progress:

polycount_monthly_noob_challenge_9___wip_3_by_nitroxart-d6db3gy.jpg

C&C welcome!

@klash-120: That's really intresting, it'll be fun to see where you can take it!

@Mischievous: slow is good! just keep at it :D
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I may be done for now with this piece. I'm rather happy how it looks...would benefit from some more things in the scene but FOR NOW I'm done (texture on pipes are wrong...damn...).

tunnel_hires.png
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my latest progress on the scene once again... still not done with it, but I'll be finishing it up soon. Needs to import and place some more props and give it a final polish pass.

polycount_monthly_noob_challenge_9___wip_4_by_nitroxart-d6dmayz.jpg
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    i'm still chugging away at learning the cryengine. Some more learning about the lighting system. I think I can start knocking out some actual art assets at this point.
    wip_c.jpg
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Fnitrox wrote: »
    Here's my latest progress on the scene once again... still not done with it, but I'll be finishing it up soon. Needs to import and place some more props and give it a final polish pass.

polycount_monthly_noob_challenge_9___wip_4_by_nitroxart-d6dmayz.jpg[IMG][/img]

Is this cryengine? Really nice job so far.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Noob question... within cry-engine is there a simple tab or button to display everything in grey box, similar to UDK or do i just apply a simple, custom grey material to each mesh I'm importing and adding to my blockout?

Sound's stupid, but i don't wanna be wasting time doing stuff i don't have to :)

Awesome looking work coming long people...
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been trying to figure that out and can't ^ I've seen a few people do flat renders and as far as I can work out they've just done as you say unless I'm missing something.
  • Manticora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great progress, everyone!

@ Fnitrox:

I don't know if the metal parts are finished, but in my opinion, everything has a little too much specular - especially the pipes and the barbwire are way too shiny. I would expect them to be dirty and rusty in a place like that. Keep up the good work :)

@ Klash-120:

Very interesting concept, looking forward to some updates :poly142:
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @skillmister: thanks! and yes, it's cryengine

@manticora: yup, those are still wip. I'll be making final adjustments as soon as the lighting is final and all the props are in.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Hey Guys, a lot of great stuff here. I just wanted to update everyone that if you're not in the skype group you should join. Add me and I will add you to it. My skype is: alexmasterofcats

Furthermore the top two final scenes from each challenge will be featured in the Polycount recap on the front page as well as posted on the official Polycount Facebook and Twitter.

Good luck!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bad ass, Alex!

Some really nice work in here this month guys, keep it up!
  • DennisGlowacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DennisGlowacki polycounter lvl 7
    weekend#2 progress

2013-07-16_1943.png

76.png

floorbreakdown.jpg
  • shosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weekend#2 progress

That normal map you can do in 3 min using nvidia photoshop filter. Doing bakes and using ndo on that kind of texture is a waste of time. Try and understand how the normal map works and you will be able to do a much more complicated nm texture in the same amount of time it took you to do that.

Oh, the number looks nice, the best one i've seen here, but you can add a bit more to it and make it awesome.

Have a good one
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shosh wrote: »
    That normal map you can do in 3 min using nvidia photoshop filter. Doing bakes and using ndo on that kind of texture is a waste of time. Try and understand how the normal map works and you will be able to do a much more complicated nm texture in the same amount of time it took you to do that.

What?! Admittedly the bake could have been done in ndo rather than baked, but i don't understand why you are saying to use the nvidia filter OVER ndo? It takes no longer and has infinitely more functionality.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Whoa, you guys are doing some awesome work. Love the idea of a monthly challenge and of everyone helping each other out. Unless there's some member limit or something, I'm keen to join the next one if that's alright with you lot.
  • Manticora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manticora wrote: »
    I've heard that my images are way too dark on some monitors while all the others are looking the same. Does anyone know what might be the problem? I'm saving my screenshots in PS as .png with sRGB profile...

Anyone?

The feedback for my lighting really doesn't help me as long as I don't know if I have to actually change my scene or if I'm only using the wrong settings in PS :(

---

I finally changed my number decal once again, and I guess it's looking better at least. What do you think? I really don't know how something that simple can be that hard to do... :D

tunnel_76_wip07.png

@ Hayden Zammit:

The challenges are open for everyone ;) It would be great to see your work next month!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The feedback for my lighting really doesn't help me as long as I don't know if I have to actually change my scene or if I'm only using the wrong settings in PS :(
    One way is to check your histogram in Photoshop. If it's all crammed on the one side, it's too dark! :)
  • Manticora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    One way is to check your histogram in Photoshop. If it's all crammed on the one side, it's too dark! :)

Haha, really could have thought of that myself :D Thanks!!!

My histogram actually isn't very different from the concept's...

tunnel_76_histogram.png
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, I think I'm calling this one done and over : D.

A big thanks to alex for setting these challenges up, and everyone participating! I've learnt a lot and it was both fun and somewhat hard to build.

Also I can now finally build up my portfolio a bit xD

Enough talking, here are the final shots:
    monthly_noob_challenge_9_final_shot_1_by_nitroxart-d6dv9nw.jpg
    As in the Concept Art

monthly_noob_challenge_9_final_shot_2_by_nitroxart-d6dv9ye.jpg
    Inside the Tunnels

monthly_noob_challenge_9_final_shot_3_by_nitroxart-d6dv9zg.jpg
    And in the next stop of the subway ... also I notice now that I've left the axes helper in there : |

EDIT: updated images
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @manticora: Your shots are indeed coming a bit too dark, you could probably get some ambient light in there to fill the blackest areas
  • Manticora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox wrote: »
    @manticora: Your shots are indeed coming a bit too dark, you could probably get some ambient light in there to fill the blackest areas

Okay, thanks! I've actually got an environment light to make sure nothing is 100% black, and several point lights to brighten everything up, but I'll try pushing the environment light a bit.

I guess I need to calibrate my monitors for the 1000th time, it's looking good there... :poly141:
  • GenericGoodGuy
    Hello..this is my first environment, I'm banging my head against the wall with the lights..no idea how to get a light source come out of the actual light objects in cry engine 3...I'm happy with the scene so far but the lighting sucks, so any tips would be nice ^^ I also have no idea how to take a screenshot like the ones you guys post from inside the engine (first time using any type of game engine)

subway_almost_finished__by_genericgoodguy-d6dww9x.jpg
  • reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reckzilla polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, I need some light map help. I've never had this is issue before. But I'm getting some crazy lightmap results.
    http://udkenvironmentportfolio.blogspot.com/
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...no idea how to get a light source come out of the actual light objects in cry engine 3...

You can't make an object emit light... You have to fake it via glow on the object and a light placed near it, possibly with a projector enabled but it's really tricky to get it right... I've struggled a lot with them too

for the screenshot I used the console command r_getscreenshot 2, just be sure to hide the helpers (shift+spacebar hotkey) and the info on top of the viewport (r_displayinfo 0) before.