Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 9

Replies

• shosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What?! Admittedly the bake could have been done in ndo rather than baked, but i don't understand why you are saying to use the nvidia filter OVER ndo? It takes no longer and has infinitely more functionality.

I didn't say to use nvidia OVER ndo, i said to use nvidia OVER bakes and ndo.
    In this very simple case, nvidia or ndo get the same result in the same amount of time
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    Not worked on this in over a week due to having wisdom teeth removed and then getting an infection resulting in agony and choosing to stay in bed feeling sorry for myself.

I finally managed to get back onto it yesterday and I've started making some more progress. Still a long way to go but it's nice to know I'm not too far away

2ztgh0g.png

Lights are stock for now to see if I could get the desired lighting using emissive static meshes instead of light actors. So still need to add to those.

Tracks stone texture still needs to be done, but shouldn't take too long I would have thought, then it's a case of creating the various props such as wiring, tubing etc to dot around.

Also the hard edges on the tunnel entrance don't appear to be showing up very well, so this is another thing I need to look into
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    Hang me upside down by my toes and spank me with a barbed wire bat, actually on second thought don't, don't know why I said that.
    Nyhoo totally forgot about the n00b challenge.. T____T
    I got so busy learning a few new things that this nearly slipped my mind.
    x(
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    How are you guys approaching the walls for this piece? Are you just doing them all as one model and importing into UDK or CeE, or separate models? I know the wall that the tunnel goes into needs to be a unique mesh, but wasn't sure about the others.
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if it is the best way to do it but I've done it so the inside of the tunnel is done as 2 different modular pieces [the first section where it goes all the way around, and the section where the door is]

As for the walls closest to the camera I actually done it as a single mesh.

I do have a modular piece of straight wall, that I use opposite the door in the tunnel, which I plan to also use in areas where I want a flat wall; such as on the other side of the tracks.

Hope that helps somewhat :)
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaargh I'm having some annoying issues with my mesh inside UDK.

basically I want those hard edges for the outer ring of the tunnel but they don't appear in UDK. it looks fine in Maya and also in marmoset when I check it inside there

With roughly similar lighting set-up found in my level:
    nmclc8.png

as you can see I have hard edges there, but in my screenshot I posted in previous post above it's obviously not showing up...

If anybody has any idea why this might be happening I would really appreciate a nod in the right direction or something.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    steppan wrote: »
    aaargh I'm having some annoying issues with my mesh inside UDK.

basically I want those hard edges for the outer ring of the tunnel but they don't appear in UDK. it looks fine in Maya and also in marmoset when I check it inside there

With roughly similar lighting set-up found in my level:
    nmclc8.png

as you can see I have hard edges there, but in my screenshot I posted in previous post above it's obviously not showing up...

If anybody has any idea why this might be happening I would really appreciate a nod in the right direction or something.
    Try activating Explicit Normals under Static Mesh>Advanced while you import the models. That did the trick for me while importing models from Blender at the very least.
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak wrote: »
    Try activating Explicit Normals under Static Mesh>Advanced while you import the models. That did the trick for me while importing models from Blender at the very least.

Oh thanks, I'll try that soon. I'm waiting on new cpu cooler before I can carry on with this scene as UDK always sends cpu temps up to 60c/70c . Totally sucks as now I'm not sure I'll be done on time :(
  • SelwynPhillips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SelwynPhillips polycounter lvl 11
    Apologies for my lack of updates. Keep up the good work :)

tumblr_mqisaaL9ej1qg6hydo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqisaaL9ej1qg6hydo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqirsoY3Zg1rk3q8ho1_1280.jpg
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've just today finally managed to get back into production. CPU temperature is all good under stress and we're happy. Now really need to move to have any chance to make this.

So I've been looking into this normals issue I was having and I've figured out what I was doing wrong.
    In case anybody encounters this same problem in future: What it came down to the way I had done my lightmass UV's. To get the hard edges I was after I just needed to create UV seams along the edges that I wanted to appear 'hard' in the engine.
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    s5z8ri9b.png
    With some luck I'll complete this on the last day of this challenge, will port into a game tomorrow, and finally fix the lighting every one's been telling me to fix!
  • SelwynPhillips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much progress to show. Kinda hit a wall with it at the moment.

tumblr_mqruhcBRb71rk3q8ho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqruhcBRb71rk3q8ho2_1280.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    s5z8ri9b.png
    With some luck I'll complete this on the last day of this challenge, will port into a game tomorrow, and finally fix the lighting every one's been telling me to fix!

I would tone down the texture noise on your floor in the normal map and introduce some big shapes to break up the details. I would dim the lighting a bit as well. I am curious to see this in engine.

On this tumblr_mqruhcBRb71rk3q8ho2_1280.jpg

I would brighten up the entrance to the tunnel a bit so it can be seen.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    whats up with your bricks Alex?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada wrote: »
    whats up with your bricks Alex?

What do you mean? I didn't post anything, I was posting other peoples.

Also.
    LAST DAY!
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean? I didn't post anything, I was posting other peoples.

Also.
    LAST DAY!

Alex, is there a decision on the next challenge? I've finished Uni, landed a 3D role in something other then games and am EGGING to go :) would like to improve my portfolio whilst i earn experience at work.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex, is there a decision on the next challenge? I've finished Uni, landed a 3D role in something other then games and am EGGING to go :) would like to improve my portfolio whilst i earn experience at work.

In a few hours my friend;)

Also, whatever the best two from this are get posed all over PC fb, twitter, and the next front page recap.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox wrote: »
    Here's my latest progress on the scene once again... still not done with it, but I'll be finishing it up soon. Needs to import and place some more props and give it a final polish pass.

polycount_monthly_noob_challenge_9___wip_4_by_nitroxart-d6dmayz.jpg

I would change the lighting to be more like the concept and then it would be awesome!
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    As far as i got. Started a new job last week so haven't been caring for 3D while i get in the swing of that but may as well post the WIP

DGzs8Wq.jpg
  • Manticora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't have the time to do any more changes (another project, job interviews, a workshop,...), but as Alex asked for some final shots, here are mine:

screen_1.png

screen_2.png

screen_3.png

screen_4.png

Good luck to everyone who's still working!
  • SelwynPhillips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so it's 15 minutes before the deadline (at least in England anyway). Here's my submission for the month. Thanks to the guys who helped me out with my lighting :)

NC9_Tunnel_SC_020.jpg

NC9_Tunnel_SC_021.jpg
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    Well time to tip over my king as well;

Shot1.jpg

And I kept meaning to add that 79 in there, but due to poor time management, I ended up working all day today on this from like 5 pm to... what's now 4 am rofl, and I guess I was just tired of this and left it as it is. But live and learn, I got to see just how much time stuff takes me to do, so next time I won't need to rely on deadline crisis to motivate me...

Also there's supposed to be a fence on the right, but even with max anti-aliasing it still refused to show properly, I think my texture's to blame after all, so that one goes in the wisdom bag as well.

Here are more screenies! I am still happy about how this turned up after all.
    Thanks to the awesome people in the Skype chat group that said smart people like stuff to me and helped me out when in need!

Shot2.jpg
    Shinyness glosses over all imperfections...literally~

Shot7.jpg
    This one's kinda cool too!

Shot4.jpg
    Ok here's a shot without the pipes that I love o' so much in the way~

Shot5.jpg

Shot6.jpg

Two more angles... hmm I am running out of ways to make this look differenty...

Shot8.jpg
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's always more you can do but a deadline is a deadline. It's come a looong way in the last 2 days though, shame I lost out on about 10 or so days of the month but at least it got done :)

Here are my 2 screens:

Concept Angle:
    2rzqjyb.png

From Above:
    21jnjac.png

Good job everyone, some really top draw stuff being posted. It's been nice to see everybody's projects materialise from start to finish
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Here are the two we picked for this Month's Noob Challenge.

MrOneTwo.

tunnel_hires.png
    Fnitrox
    polycount_monthly_noob_challenge_9___wip_4_by_nitroxart-d6dmayz.jpg

Next Month's Thread : http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1890393#post1890393

We hope you guys enjoyed it, please feel free to keep working on your scenes and post in this thread still.
    I want to say I really enjoy watching you all progress and it's awesome to see so many people participate. Lets go and make next month's even better!
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Wow... thanks!
  • DennisGlowacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DennisGlowacki polycounter lvl 7
    So finally finished challenge 9. 2 weekends in maya when we started then the past 2 weeks finishing it up.

NoobChallenge9.png

Here are other closer shots if anyone is interested.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2634509/3/NoobChallenge9b.png
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2634509/3/NoobChallenge9c.png
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2634509/3/NoobChallenge9d.png
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    this one was pretty cool, great job Dennis
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    that looks fantastic dennis
  • inwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    So finally finished challenge 9. 2 weekends in maya when we started then the past 2 weeks finishing it up.

Here are other closer shots if anyone is interested.

not goin to mention what engine this is? ;)
  • lavizh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lavizh polycounter lvl 8
    Should be the CRYENGINE.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work, Dennis, you really nailed the lighting!
  • inwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    @lavizh nah its something else :P