Home General Discussion

Tom Clancy's The Division - Ubisoft Massive

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
What? No thread for this? We shall have to rectify that at once!

So, Ubisoft's press conference at E3 ended with the big announcement of Ubisoft Massive's new IP, The Division, which falls under the Tom Clancy logo.

For me personally this was one of the highlights of all of E3 so far, what did you guys think?

And for those who haven't seen this yet:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWJD8DMasCU"]Tom Clancy's The Division - E3 Gameplay reveal [EUROPE] - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Adam Chilton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Chilton polycounter lvl 4
    I thought it looked epic. However I'm always dubious of gameplay footage at this stage. I doubt very much that it was running on the machine that we will have in our living rooms.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Along with Killzone 4 and Metal Gear Solid, I think this will be one of the best looking launch titles.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    This was the best game Ubi had to show, and probably a day 1 buy for me if it's as good as it looks! Though....I found it very hard to believe this wasn't bullshot... someone please tell me the guy who was playing this on stage was actually playing.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    ErichWK wrote: »
    This was the best game Ubi had to show, and probably a day 1 buy for me if it's as good as it looks! Though....I found it very hard to believe this wasn't bullshot... someone please tell me the guy who was playing this on stage was actually playing.

It's possible, considering Ubi is the most bullshotty company in the industry, but I don't think it's that far-fetched that he was actually playing.

Otherwise, graphics look nice, game looks boring (it's a third person cover-based shooter. Nothing against the genre, just seen the same thing a billion times before now). The promise of open-world will most likely under-deliver in the sense that there's little to do with it besides change scenery as you go from point A to point B, which are just probably regular old multiplayer maps connected by 'open-world' corridor chunks (think APB). Would love to be proven wrong.
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah this game is magnificent- I really loved it. I think this E3, in terms of game content, everyone delivered and a big win for us gamers. The Division - really inspiring for me as an artist.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The trailer made it look like an open world survival shooter, besides DayZ & WarZ I don't think there's many entries in that genre.

Shooting a flare off for an extraction is an interesting way to solve safe-zone camping, it happened a lot in the WarZ. You could still gank people who are fat with loot but you have to work for it a little more.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Need new pants.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't miss the Greentooth at 37 seconds into the gameplay trailer =p
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Haha ^ Very good eye, thats awesome! This is hands down my favourite game of the conferences. I've rewatched that trailer a few times now. Really excited to get my hands on this.

How do you think this will stack up against Destiny?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah. This blew my mind!

if this has elements like Dayz it'll own all of my time for a long time! Like, if it is an open world MMO with scavenging, pvp, etc. With the insane "psychology" and adrenaline rush that explodes when you meet a stranger or a group of strangers. This game will own beyond belief.

but, If it isn't like DayZ at all and is a an on rails, arena based, farming, style MMO (Guild wars/WOW)...or something else...This still looks insane!

Can't wait for more info.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I hope the world actually feels kinda open. Not just a thousand locked doors with the one with a mission behind it being open.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    At least let us go in lobbys and first floor buildings.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makes you wonder about 2nd and 3rd generation games on this hardware... what's left to improve? The thumbnail of that YT video is as close to offline CG stuff as possible IMHO, we couldn't really make something to look any better. The only, only thing is cloth simulation which we can run offline and fix any problems on it.
    But the assets, lighting, shading, post processing are all top notch and almost unbelievably good!
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Come on Ubisoft, why can't my heads up display complete the mission by itself ?

why should i even bother playing ?
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I hope this comes for PC as well. Looks really good, but I hope they can keep that level of quality and interactivity throughout the entire game world. This game appeared out of nowhere and is now easily one of my top five most anticipated.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The big things that I think will still be a graphics challenge are;

- Trees and foliage
    - Fully destructable enviroments (when it works for the game) or at least fully simulated/destructable debris and props
    - Full body cloth sim, stiff wrinkles in clothes always scream CG to me.
    - I think we'll still see similar limits with AI and crowds, with cars and actors despawning and respawning.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    This and Mirror's Edge were my two highlights. I love the concept and the fact that they can make NY look that real and that lived in blew my mind.

In terms of game play, your mileage may vary. If the RPG/MMO crowd picks it up, it'll be amazing. They eluded to a class based system with heals and buffs. The female player was also contributing as a key role instead of a sexualized gunbunny. If MMO fans don't pick it up, it'll be left to the shooter fans which are still a huge demographic, but less mature with a much higher male:female ratio. Ultimately, my hope is that the gameplay is difficult enough to nearly force people to group together and play as competently as the group in the demo did.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    APB done right!
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    The only thing that is really unrealistic....is the players. :) We all wish we can play with people who work like that, but its more likely we get the scum of the internet worlds and "NUB NUB! WEEEEEEEE! YOU C****, F**** OFF!" kind of kids. :) But I imagine it would be great playing with people you know.
    Apart from that, it looked great, and I REALLY hope they bring out a PC version of it as well.
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    I sure as hell hope it turns out well. This game is literally a console seller for me. I don't even know why, there's still much more I need to know about it before I can make a nicely informed decision to purchase it.

One of the more impressive fact was that the other side of New York, Manhattan, is explorable. I thought it was just a simple 3D backdrop. Oh how wrong I was.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    I find it hard to belive that the entire game will look like this throughout (Killzone trailer is still burnt into my mind) but if it is, well damn...
    Anybody know what engine this is ?
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    Kharn wrote: »
    I find it hard to belive that the entire game will look like this throughout (Killzone trailer is still burnt into my mind) but if it is, well damn...
    Anybody know what engine this is ?

Its powered by "Snowdrop", I presume a proprietary in-house engine. It remains a mystery to me whether or not it was built up from the ground. Which I would imagine is unlikely, given the increasing complexity of modern game engines.

Source: http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=11725
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Here you go guys:

http://assets.ign.com/videos/zencoder/960/c541f903e169342f89f48765d78a7425-2500000-1370994233-w.mp4

Interview where they talk a little bit more about the gameplay, our engine etc etc.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shit, this looks amazing. I hope you guys can ship with that kind of density in the environments! Looks killer..
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    It's gonna be awesome! i am excited to play this with some friends! it looks really amazing. What is this running at? 60 fps?
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if they pull it off and it was all true in game im excited, ive seen too many games say " real in game footage" and game ends up nothing like it ALIENS : CM big example
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I thought this was going to be called Patriots, or is that a different project? If its anything like the previous Clancy games I'm really looking forward to it! Still play Vegas 2 to this day despite the majorly dated graphics :D
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loved playing Future Soldier, and I'm inclined to think it will have similar gameplay (aside from the badass 3D menu items of course).

It's a shame that in the hands of an immature crowd the PvP could become annoying, but that's to be determined. Either way I don't see that as any kind of deterrent, looking forward to the release. So far away :(
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I'm excited, just subtle things really make this look outstanding.

But it also makes me worried on how truthful some things are. D:
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Looks really really good. I hope they show off their engine.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    This sucks

kidding.. just blew my mind - great job @ubisoft massive and a nice new engine.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Hopefully they wont pull a farcry 3 and reduce the density of detail by a long shot in the shipped version
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    I can clearly see a guy with a redcape jumping building to building in this one.
  • Desperad0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't even realize that was multiplayer at first, watching the vid. I really love how they did the environment, the subtle details in animation, and it's set in my home town <3
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    iLuhfV5mYth1z.gif

hehe found this on reddit : >
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I didn't think it was multiplayer either until I heard the rest of the team say some non-diegetic things like "Check your skills" and "heres another player team"

I thought they were speaking so normally, like a trained squad with no emotional resonance, but really they were just apathetic sounding players. I'm a bit concerned that actual players will ruin the immersion immediately.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    That was what I thought, for normal players they didn't laugh or showed excitement or anything (aka unrealistic players), so I was thinking they might be ingame stuff, but then again the chatter was too dynamic. And when the tablet guy turned up, it was obviously they were all players.
    But yeah, you might want to play the game with people you know, and not randoms. Can imagine too much trash talk could ruin the experience.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    That door thing i noticed watching the stream.... How the hell would you implement something like that?

Surely they haven't animated all these tiny little animated effects moving around an environment?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator

If you didn't catch it.

What the heck? Looks like an oriental dumpling...
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Very impressed with you guys. Good to see something so asskicking from Massive. :)
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Muzz wrote: »
    That door thing i noticed watching the stream.... How the hell would you implement something like that?

Surely they haven't animated all these tiny little animated effects moving around an environment?

If you don't drive or enter any cars in the game (looks like the environment is too dense for it) then there would only need to be a couple of meshes with an 'opened door' state. The rest would be a triggered proximity animation I would think.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The door thing was really nice and I saw it right away - I guess working on Gears for almost a decade makes you sensitive to things that happen while in cover. Little touches like that really add up to make the world seem more tangible.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I noticed that too in the video and have been yammering on about it in a weird way to anyone here who will listen (or not, that doesn't stop me). Great little touch.

Really excited about this game now, big props to Massive (excuse the pun).
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7

Inverse kinematics is a nice piece of tech ;)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    this engine looks amazing!! so many things on screen! love it! I'm jealous!!
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockstar6 polycounter lvl 11
    I think (for me) this was the most impressive next gen title at the e3. Love the attention to detail and amazing lighting in the game, can't wait to see more of this!

Props to Massive, great work guys!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Xendance wrote: »
    Inverse kinematics is a nice piece of tech ;)

Ya dick. We've had inverse kinematics for many years now, but i've never seen any small touches like that.

Consider the implications. what if the character comes at it from another angle, what if the player is shot in the middle of that animation, ect. What other touches like that exist?

surely you would need to put trigger boxes for the character to know to play that animation?
  • Ark
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Ya dick. We've had inverse kinematics for many years now, but i've never seen any small touches like that.

I had a similar reaction to the player actually picking up pickups and opening weapon boxes to physically pull the gun out.

I really hope that kind of detail is added everywhere in the game.