Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PinUps, Femme fatales, and more!!

Replies

• Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    great sculpts! love the characters from skullgirls. games really do play a big roll in our life
  • joshmtyler
    Offline / Send Message
    joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5
    I know that song.... I love electro swing. You have got to hear The Electro Swingers.
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks!

Unfortunately while I was recording the ending of this sculpt camtasia crashed :/

But here she is...

Red Hot Riding Hood!
    concept by: Niveus-Diabolus

rhrh_turnaround_by_dayas_mixinc-d5ydute.jpg
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    So after 11 consecutive weeks of sculpting a new female character I got burnt out:poly142:

So I've been on a break the past couple of weeks to refresh myself. I've also been studying some anatomy as well.

I'm back,eager, and energized to sculpt some more beautiful ladies :)

Here is a wip from today
    StylizFem.jpg

Also I'm considering doing a couple, month long sculpt; as I feel that I want to push on some more complex sculpts.....we'll see how that goes:)
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Stylized female study, fun little project to get back in the swing of things.
    based off a sketch by juarezricci

stylizedfemale_by_dayas_mixinc-d619pep.jpg
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Juri Han!

She was fun to sculpt in this interesting pose :)
    jurihanturn3_by_dayas_mixinc-d62jx8p.jpg
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    juri! That is sick! love the spinning effect. What do you use to render?
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    I used Keyshot.
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    polaroid29 polycounter lvl 6
    Love the Juri. Great execution man. I'd love to see some ZBrush grabs of her.

Also, in Keyshot, are you messing with the light setup at all, or just the HDRs?
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!!
    I'll post some screen grabs later. I just messed with the HDRs, haven't tried setting up lights in Keyshot yet.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Jesus SpiderDude, after you little burnout spell you're really rocking the new wave of pinups! Especially Juri Han and that awesome kick effect! Roll on the next piece :P
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Di$array!!

Here are some screen grabs as promised
    TurnaroundJuri.jpg
    CloseupJuri.jpg
    CloseupJuri2.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome work, I've really liked your last few pieces. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread!
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Been pretty busy this past week, so to keep up with the weekly practice, here is a head study I did today.

HeadStudy.jpg
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Hey, looking pretty good.

My main crits with the likeness would be that her lower jaw is set too far forward, as though she has an overbite, and that he cranial mass isn't sloping forward correctly, giving her a very tall forehead.
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you!
    Thank you for the critique also, I gotta practice sculpting heads a lot more.
  • praetor187
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Man I love that stylized female sculpt super awesome proportions spiderDude:)
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Hey saw your lady in the WAYWO thread. I got a couple of crits. On the 3/4 view, check the apex of the cheek bone. You might want to keep sculpting that with the claybuildup brush until you get it right. Also check the angle of the jaw under the ear. I notice a bit of flatness around the chin, on the sides of it. I see it on the front view. Pretty much it needs to be a biiiiit rounder.
    The mouth needs work. The shape of the upper lip looks a tad inflated and the lower lip juts out a bit as well. Also you're missing some subtle bone structure around the brow line, it's irking me on the front views.
    You're also missing a bit of the downplane under the nose. The nose tip also is lacking fleshiness. Yours is a bit nubbed down.
    Mna, I'm also doing a likeness and its TOUGH, haha. Good luck
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Damn you stole some models I wanted to sculpt too ^^. It's nice to see your progress, the heads were not so good at the begining but you're getting better at this.

Just please promise me you won't do Aphrodite IX, it's one of my future project XD.
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everybody!

@garrila83- Thank you for the critique! I'm probably going to be doing a lot more likeness sculpts in the coming weeks to get better at heads.

@Texelion- Thank you! I promise I won't do Aphrodite IX :D
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    agreed with the previous crits regarding jaw and forehead- great job though- super amount of improvement man!!
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Dan! !
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to take a little while with this pinup, as I want to do it some justice. Mai Shiranui and Kasumi are always in the lime light, I think Iroha deserves to be in there too :)

WIP
    IrohaWIP.jpg
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Posing progress, lots to clean up..some place holders to make sure its looking like Iroha.
    Once I finish up Iroha, I'm gonna jump between loose weekly sculpts to more refined sculpts that take ~2 weeks or so.
    d96IrohaWIP.jpg
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Bikini Bible Chan!
    Did this today to unwind. A tribute to Paul Robertson's trippy art.
    bikinibiblechan_by_dayas_mixinc-d64ypq1.jpg
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    im trippin out! oh wait, good job!
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The design of the character varies quite a bit, but I think you could probably get a model that's a bit more consistent with Paul Robertson's pixel art designs if you made her a bit shorter and pudgier.
    Bible_Chan_MechaFetus_Paul.gif

Giving her a pair of those bunched up Japanese socks would help sell the look too, I think
    LooseSocks-01b.jpg
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!
    I went more with how she was drawn on Paul's comic of her. I might do one of his pixel art girls sometime later though.
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    One more Paul Robertson character for fun.
    Octo Girl
    octogirl_by_dayas_mixinc-d65w0vb.jpg

I won't have a sculpt for this coming weekend :( going to be busy with some things.
  • Lindsay4410
    Hi. I'm new to Polycount. This is actually my first post after saying hello on the "hello board". I've been putting together some images to post in a "Sketchbook" post, and other forum stuff. This post just caught my eye and I really can't help but comment.

So -- I'm a woman. Right? I want to be making video games because I love them. I'm your average gal, not some hyper feminazi, I don't weigh 400 lbs, and I like to think I have a decent head on my shoulders.
    That said, I'm trying to understand the fascination with these outrageously proportioned female sculpts. I understand the stylization thing. Hell, half of my work is stylized in one way or another. When I look at these sculpts, I respect the talented hands that created them. I understand the work that goes into sculpting any character, and to have created so many in so short a time is truly masterful.
    That said, when I look at these images all I hear in the back of my head is some 15 yr old boy going "OMG! Bewbs!" There seems to be some fascination with this over sexification (is that a word? It is now...) of female characters.
    Sexy gals sell. Sure thang. No problem there... but why this fascination with showing as much hoo-haa and the largest boobs possible? This is an honest question from a female designer trying to understand the male perspective. I'm trying ask these questions very politely. I do have opinions about this subject matter, but I've chosen to not muddle up the post with them.
    Thanks in advance for any insight.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I guess, for a lot of people, pursuing an expression of their fantasies/wants/desires is a must, or even a right in many cases. They've been screaming at me through song, book, and movie to "express myself" from school onward. I'd imagine the rest of the world has listened from the looks of it.

In regards to bigger boobs and what not, may have something to do with "more is better", like how I may have tendency to want to get drunk because it makes me feel better (More Blue Moon = more happy?). I'd imagine more buxom (to put it all gentleman-lke as possible) shapes are better appealing and preferred to males initially/carnally.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Lindsay4410, bottom line: Making attractive women in any medium is hard.

With a lot of male and monster models, you can pretty much go bonkers with proportions and with making them super ugly because people will just go "Cool!" It's a different story with women, though, because people as a whole have a hard time accepting women who aren't cute, or attractive, or happy, or matronly, or sexy, or something generally appealing and non-ugly unless it's a straight-up photorealistic depiction of an actual human being.

By taking the time to try and make stylized women who are both fun to look at and attractive, it gradually becomes easier to make women who are actually appealing because you start to understand the subtleties of how women are constructed. Women generally look like men at the most basic level -- they both have arms, for example -- but there are a lot of very subtle structural differences in their faces, their hips, and there's actually a surprising amount of anatomical knowledge that you need to have if you're going to make something like breasts without having them look like garbage bags full of bowling balls.

So while it may be pretty goofy (and often borderline or even full-on sexist) to make a bunch of pin-ups of women with absurd proportions, there's also a lot of value in doing it as far as skill development is concerned.

As a side note: Speaking just from personal experience, I've found that a person who can draw or model a beautiful woman and do it consistently is someone who's capable of making just about any other type of character imaginable. Making attractive women requires subtlety, and that's a very hard-learned skill which comes from drastically overdoing things for a while before you can effectively dial things back.
  • Lindsay4410
    I appreciate the honest and thought out replies. I'm glad that Polycount is not somewhere to hear people flip out when a woman comments on the boobs issues. So thanks.

JadeEyePanda:
    I can get behind the "express yourself" route. As artists, we breathe via creativity and having the freedom to make whatever you want is your right.

Swizzle:
    I think you're right that making attractive women can be tough since "beauty" is so harshly scrutinized for women. Also, the definition (usually) of "beautiful/attractive woman" is pretty narrow. I mean it's basically a slim waist, long legs, big boobs, doe-eyes, flowing hair. Right? Most female characters tend to be some type of variation on that theme.
    I've never understood though why the definition is, in fact, so narrow, but I suppose that's a completely different can of worms altogether. Being able to make a woman that is considered beautiful is, of course, a skill.
    Here's a thought though -- doesn't it take just as much anatomy knowledge (or more even?) to make an "unattractive" woman? A woman with fat (and not the sexy curvy fat), or wrinkles, or ...I don't know... arm flab? ... wouldn't it take just as much anatomical knowledge to know where that fat sits, how it moves/deforms and how to sculpt it?
    I think making more realistic breasts would be more of challenge than giant torpedos, but that's not my field anyway (I make props, lol, not characters).

I guess I just don't understand the obsession. Kind of like I don't understand the obsession with chainmail bikinis, sexy plate armor, or any other character that is more about tits than anything else. I know the sexualization of female characters is a thread that has been started many times on polycount, and I'm not going to restart it here.
    Thanks for your replies. As I said before, the sculpts are really well done. I guess I just don't find tits all that amazing since I have a pair. *shrug*
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It's not so much a right as it is a "thing we can possibly do" like sitting in a red chair instead of a blue one.
  • BTolputt
    Here's a thought though -- doesn't it take just as much anatomy knowledge (or more even?) to make an "unattractive" woman? A woman with fat (and not the sexy curvy fat), or wrinkles, or ...I don't know... arm flab? ... wouldn't it take just as much anatomical knowledge to know where that fat sits, how it moves/deforms and how to sculpt it?

I think you're right there, making a realistic looking, unattractive woman would be almost as difficult... but not quite.

When we see someone unattractive, we're not always positive we know why they are unattractive (to us). Lack of symmetry, too much symmetry, proportions subtly off, gender-specific visual cues different, etc. When making someone unattractive, features that might be due to lack of skill contribute to the "unattractiveness" of the figure. Not so often the case in reverse.

I think if would be harder to make an unattractive woman to the same level of "anatomical realism" as many of the attractive woman figures around PolyCount. Firm, toned,nicely curved figures are easier to get right than (say) overweight, hairy women with cankles. Thing is, there isn't much call for that out in the market, so practicing it might be personally gratifying, but it's not going to "put food on your family" ;)

Do appreciate the input without the usual explosion though guys (& gal) :)
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everybody :)

First let me say that I'm happy to see a healthy discussion going on, I wish all discussions happen like this. A lot has been said already, so I'll just give the insight as to why I chose to sculpt these female models.

I chose to dedicate my time to sculpting idealized females because the subtleties are more difficult to get a handle on. I do a lot of male characters for work and its just not as challenging. I am by no means a master of anatomy be it male or female, its just females are a lot harder for me.

Sculpting a realistic female model is difficult, but it has its limit. That limit is reality; Stylized/Idealized females in my opinion are more difficult because you need a deep understanding of what conveys that "sexy" or "attractive" look. All of this is based on reality, but with idealizing/stylizing it you can push it further. Its easier to make an "unattractive" female character or a more masculine female character than it is to create a very appealing one, let alone one that appeals to many.

Boobs: Big vs. Small vs. whatever your preference is

This is a very touchy subject because as society is now, "sex" or "sexy" has been associated with boobs in popular media. Personally I disagree with that association, but thats just me. The reason why I chose to go big is because I find it very difficult to get the weight correct. For example, the breast shape for OctoGirl was rather difficult for me because, for a lack of better terms, I decided to sculpt "torpedo breast" as they're called. I'm not 100% happy with the results, but I learned more from it.

Breast get down played a lot, but I'm fascinated by it because no two breast are they same. It is very challenging for me, so I enjoy that challenge.

This is just my point of view, I can't speak for others. All in all doing these sculpts be it realistic or very idealized, the more I learn the more respect and the more beauty I find in the Female form.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    one of the big advantage of doing these posed female character is the he is learning and getting better at anatomy at different poses and sculpting asymmetrically.

if i had more free time i would be sculpting figures all day, may be not giant boobs or pinups but that is a matter if taste.

also, if you wanna get better at subtlety then i would suggest attempting realistic figure with more subtle proportions and paying attention to skin/fat/bones etc.

all that being said, i would suggest that you put the same amount of love and attention to the faces/hand/feet etc as you do with the boobs and butts. it is not that they are very lacking in your work but if i had to crit on something that would be it. other than that, keep going.
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique MM :). Faces/hands/feet are def my weak points, I'm trying to learn more by traditionally drawing them to increase my knowledge than go at it again by sculpting. Still a long ways to go :)
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    ...I just don't understand the obsession. Kind of like I don't understand the obsession with chainmail bikinis, sexy plate armor, or any other character that is more about tits than anything else....
    ...I guess I just don't find tits all that amazing since I have a pair. *shrug*

I think you kind of answered your own question there.
    Tits are attractive to dudes, because they are a sign of fertility.
    I mean are you hoping to understand this on a theoretical/evolutionary biology level or do you actually want to understand the feeling of being attracted to big boobs?
    If I saw a male sculpt that was made by a female and noticed he had a huge penis I wouldn't be confused about why she had made that decision. I wouldn't necessary resonate with that decision (though, hell I also might) but that doesn't mean I couldn't put myself in her position and understand the motives behind that choice.
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all,

Been gone the past couple of weeks, but I haven't stop :D
    I'm taking on online course right now for cloth sculpting and its great.
    Soon I'll post the character I'm working on for that class here and looking
    forward to sculpting more clothed beauties :)

for now here is a head study from earlier today...the hood is just an excuse to not bother with hair right now:poly124:
    FemFaceStudy.jpg
  • jocz
    Offline / Send Message
    jocz polygon
    To Lindsey: Do you know Michelangelo and the Cappella Sistina? :poly142:
    I think artists are fascinated, and that's the only thing to understand!

Also, nice work man, I like the skullgirls =)
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks jocz!!
    Awesome killer Croc bust btw:thumbup:

Finally back to these weeklies:)
    696_max.jpg

concept by the awesome Matt Dixon
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Preview of this week's pinup, this will be a fun challenge as I will be trying things I don't normally do :)
    WIP1.jpg
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocking out the pose and reworking proportions, very rough stuff.
    WIP2.jpg
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Little weekend sketch, some kind of Cthulhu priestess...been watching a lot of Lovecraft based movies lately:poly142:

CthulhuPriestess.jpg
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    I know that hat!

yubEwuS.jpg
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting, I like it. I loosely based the crown from the film Dagon.
    dagon017.png
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    small update, projected the ref over the model to make sure things are about right.
    WIP4.jpg
  • Lil3dprinting
    spiderDude, you every get around to 3D printing any of these? I'm working on my finishing for color 3d prints and wouldn't mind having something different to to spend several hours on finishing on. Drop me a PM and we can work something out.
  • DougClayton4231
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Great work in here! :)