I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Just started on a new pair of daggers for riki
    [SKETCHFAB]qEoqwzImp5LchXOMQdFIrZUnOjl[/SKETCHFAB]

(I just had to try out sketchfab)
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Btw, I encountered today a weirdest thing. Ingame video of NaVi set. I wonder why they didn't added it to workshop directly. It looks way better then I have expected.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yTm59hvWH3I
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Anyone else noticed that spam has disappeared, or is it just because I haven't had any popular items lately?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I havent had any of the Vimeo spam but i still get the ascii happy face and thumb up spam :p

So I tried to use sketch fab but it doesnt do multi materials (or after the 10 times of trying to figure it out I just didnt figure it out enough) So I went back to Verold studio which does a pretty good job of emulating Xoliul shader (no half lambert though)
    http://studio.verold.com/projects/519b397881bccb020000009a

This is with in game res textures too, which I found is best for loading speed. Had to make custom spec_colour and glow maps ofcourse. Oh also you need to flip your X in your normal maps too.
    Lighting is the key to getting rid of those horrid black shadows and ambient colour also plays a big part in that.
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I tried to use sketch fab but it doesnt do multi materials (or after the 10 times of trying to figure it out I just didnt figure it out enough) So I went back to Verold studio which does a pretty good job of emulating Xoliul shader (no half lambert though)

This is with in game res textures too, which I found is best for loading speed. Had to make custom spec_colour and glow maps ofcourse. Oh also you need to flip your X in your normal maps too.
    Lighting is the key to getting rid of those horrid black shadows and ambient colour also plays a big part in that.

Omg. Good hint.
    Gonna try it. Except the online view, is it better then marmoset? How close it is to the dota 2 shading results?
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polishing up my old CK shield now that we can submit for CK.

Stick with the old spikes or these larger stakes?

1EedcSH.jpg
  • Esaxil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    Polishing up my old CK shield now that we can submit for CK.

Stick with the old spikes or these larger stakes?

1EedcSH.jpg

Little bit of Majora's mask shape :3, Ck with a heart shield will be a little bit weird maybe add some spikes.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Paskie : Ck stufs are preety clean . try not to give to many details to it, and spikes are allways better:)
  • archie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, how do i bake the normal after sculpturing my item?
    I just want to have the Normal map, the item do not has any changes in shape as I only did some scratches, dents and cuts to make it realistic.
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    I havent had any of the Vimeo spam but i still get the ascii happy face and thumb up spam :p

This is awesome! Thanks for pointing it out! :)
  • sadies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If i was to go exported selected whilst only having the joints selected wouldn't that mean that only the skeleton rig would be exported into the fbx? And also another question do i still use the bake animation options whilst im exporting the fbx? or if i have baked them into the model whilst in maya is that option not needed?

yeah, it would export only the animated joints, nothing else-- this works if you use this file just for the animation slots. for your main rigged model/fbx, you'd export everything (model and joints in bind pose, with no animations baked).

for your next question, personally i use the bake animation options anyways, to be safe lol. also you can use it to ensure the correct start and end frame that gets exported (sometimes i have the timeslider farther out than the cycle time and it would otherwise bake that range)

hope that helps!
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi
    I've made a blunt weapon for chaos knight :)

workshop link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=146829284

CEB454DD8ACA6155971AC5312B5D9AB060013767
    B2852D2312AA5AE5892AD76BA39BDC0D0AA1E7B8
    D03C49E28B2EF95CDAD979B95F00EC80A79107B5
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Cool CK weapon. Thanks for pointing out Verold Studio Annuxi, there are a lot of browser 3d embedding coming out recently its hard to keep track of all of them. Here's my progress on one my Ursa sets, i decided i liked both of the concepts i had, the other one is at about the same state im still working on the skull and didnt want to show till it was done.

Just basic colors still trying to find ways to make it more ornate, I think i need to add some seams with different metals.

Anything you hate? Like?

HtNfaz2.jpg
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Here we go, got the skull to a point where it resembles a bear skull

going to do first draft of lowpoly tonight to see if i run into any problems getting this into poly budget

ELKHtRb.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Maybe it's just me but on both of those Ursa sets the shoulders and the metal bracers look huge. It's not as bad on the fur and bear skull set but on the metal set I think they hide a bit too much of the stock Ursa. With the fur set I'd also be worried about the shoulders awkwardly bending with the animations or clipping a lot of they're just rigged to the shoulder bone.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Hooray! Got my mask in the viewer! Needs more texture work but I'm glad its working.

I still need help with getting the rig to open properly in Maya so I can skin the head properly.

And I don't think my glow map is showing up or it is VERY subdued. I saved the mask file with the alpha turned on so I dunno...help please :D

void_shop.PNG
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so another technical question which (I've only cheated around but never addressed);

How in the world do you generate a Normals map WITHOUT a high-poly model and/or projection techniques? Why can I not find a method which just generates the mappings for a single object without needing a second object to reference?
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Starcofski wrote: »
    Ok so another technical question which (I've only cheated around but never addressed);

How in the world do you generate a Normals map WITHOUT a high-poly model and/or projection techniques? Why can I not find a method which just generates the mappings for a single object without needing a second object to reference?

One way of generating normal maps would be to use a tool like this (Nvidia Normal Map Filter from their Texture Tools):
    https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

This generates normals based on greyscale image data. Obviously it isn't as accurate as using geometry, but it does work.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 wrote: »
    One way of generating normal maps would be to use a tool like this (Nvidia Normal Map Filter from their Texture Tools):
    https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

This generates normals based on greyscale image data. Obviously it isn't as accurate as using geometry, but it does work.

I'd rather not use that thing again; my last use of it was during the Polycount contest in October. It works, just not for what I really need.

I suppose a better way of posing my question is why are all the normals mapping tutorials for adding detail? I can't even use them because using the same model doesn't generate anything.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are you doing this for exactly? Are you asking this because you don't have access to a sculpting program?

I think the only way around this is to paint a greyscale bump map and convert it to a normal map through Crazybump or some type of plugin
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    What are you doing this for exactly? Are you asking this because you don't have access to a sculpting program?

I think the only way around this is to paint a greyscale bump map and convert it to a normal map through Crazybump or some type of plugin

I'm doing this for my OD wings (linked a page or two ago). I always seem to struggle with this step because yes, I do not have a sculpting program, nor abundant time. I'll just use the cheap tricks I used last time (with a plane) and see what happens.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    And I don't think my glow map is showing up or it is VERY subdued. I saved the mask file with the alpha turned on so I dunno...help please :D
    It's not supposed to be brightly glowing, think of it as ignoring lighting, it glows in the dark and gives faint bloom in the ingame view. That's it. For some noticeable effect you want detail map, but i'm not sure Faceless Void have those.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I'm doing this for my OD wings (linked a page or two ago). I always seem to struggle with this step because yes, I do not have a sculpting program, nor abundant time. I'll just use the cheap tricks I used last time (with a plane) and see what happens.

NDO2 is probably the best mask to normal map and other map program out there apparently. You could try that.

Though you should really Make time to invest in your arts future. While tricks are good, they can only get you so far :)
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    Hi
    I've made a blunt weapon for chaos knight :)

workshop link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=146829284

CEB454DD8ACA6155971AC5312B5D9AB060013767

That is looking really great, it fits him really well! :)

A lot of CK items being posted recently, so I though I need one as well. Although I'm still working on some other stuff I wanted to test thismone out..

What do you guys think, still needs a lot of work though.

KOrwHSd.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125: thank you . I like the axe , but I would tone down the fiery steel . now it has the color of bright malleable metal .I'd keep the brightness where the blades meet with the shaft , and you might also add some glow reflexion on the "non glowy" metal .
    cheers

291751-41631-25-300x199.jpg
  • darkscythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice dota 2 work here keep it up
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    I'd rather not use that thing again; my last use of it was during the Polycount contest in October. It works, just not for what I really need.

I suppose a better way of posing my question is why are all the normals mapping tutorials for adding detail? I can't even use them because using the same model doesn't generate anything.

You guys shoud check Polycount's frontpage more often.

Here's a nifty lil' tool some polycounters are developing: https://www.knaldtech.com/

Anyway, I'll jump in the bandwagon and recommend you to start sculpting stuff, because it actually saves time and yield better results, there's no reason not to.

If you're willing, Blender is free and has a very solid sculpt mode, give it a try.

@mihalceanu:

God damn it, make a set out of that mace & shield and I'll buy it. Really nice job, dude.
  • 7thBattery
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I'm trying to skin my items to the rig but the Maya Acsii file from the workshop doesn't load correctly, I get an error in the script editor about unrecognized nodes. The skeleton shows but the mesh is not there. Did Valve upload a faulty file or is it on my end?

Its not so much a problem with a few items that won't deform but there are a few problem areas.
    Sukotto,

I made a post in one of Spudnik's threads about this issue: here.

The TLDR version is Valve uses a proprietary node (I think for authoring VMTs inside maya) that Maya can't read without the proper plugins. Why they leave these nodes in the scenes instead of removing them, I don't know.

That error isn't really hurting anything, but if you don't like looking at it every time you load the scene you can type "delete `ls -type unknown`" into the command line. Save the scene, and you shouldn't see that error again.

The mesh not showing up could be a number of things. A lot of the time lod0 and lod1 are in their own display layers, check the visibility of those. Otherwise the geometry itself may have it's visibility off for whatever reason, open up the outliner, and check to see if anything is greyed out (which is how it shows when visibility is off). If either of those fail, it's possible your viewport may not be showing polygons?

Hope that helps.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7thBattery wrote: »
    Sukotto,

I made a post in one of Spudnik's threads about this issue: here.

The TLDR version is Valve uses a proprietary node (I think for authoring VMTs inside maya) that Maya can't read without the proper plugins. Why they leave these nodes in the scenes instead of removing them, I don't know.

That error isn't really hurting anything, but if you don't like looking at it every time you load the scene you can type "delete `ls -type unknown`" into the command line. Save the scene, and you shouldn't see that error again.

The mesh not showing up could be a number of things. A lot of the time lod0 and lod1 are in their own display layers, check the visibility of those. Otherwise the geometry itself may have it's visibility off for whatever reason, open up the outliner, and check to see if anything is greyed out (which is how it shows when visibility is off). If either of those fail, it's possible your viewport may not be showing polygons?

Hope that helps.

Oh god. WHY am I so DUMB?! Haha Why did I not think to check the render layers -____-

That's like the dumbest thing I've done in Maya for a looooong time.

Thanks Battery!
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Doing some Chaos Knight items, high poly's are done for the helmet and weapon, I'm not going to bother with a horse and it's armor, since I think it would be good to have a separate set for Chaos Knight from the horse. Since I'm almost done with examinations, I will attend full time. I went to the blunt weapon direction since it's suppose to be a mace.

QgZHkcS.jpg
    9CcH8io.jpg
    zLvmOFh.jpg
  • Taumich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a long pause from my progress, i have resumed with some new updates to my older set. Started of by completing the 3D meshes of the other parts to be able to focus on each step properly. Her's a screenshot of my current anti-mage set :)

(note that i recolored him to make contrast to the items while they have no color texture)
    v5xLkBL.png
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    5BMBcNo.png

Meepo weapon based on Sharc's concept:

graceofspadesnew_by_terrormokes-d5ytr2m.png

Thoughts?
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    5BMBcNo.png

Meepo weapon based on Sharc's concept:

Thoughts?
    Post the ingame view
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Here you go!

WtGtsJu.jpg

UNiGzCc.jpg

yFits7m.jpg

EDIT

One from the Workshop preview thingy:

QEUcKSb.png

EDIT 2

It's in the workshop!

YdxKVOx.jpg
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just wanted to ask if anything about the coloration or shape looked off to anyone. Below is ingame and workshop footage of the full set (in it's current iteration). My eyes are currently really strained from trying to discern deformation from strain and torsion today, so I figure I'd ask trained eyes.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DajYWlIde4c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DajYWlIde4c[/ame]
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    CK and Bristle finally added to the Workshop page :)
    http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's too much violence in my Dota!
    WK0yqSc.jpg
    WeX6030.jpg
    Kky3RF0.jpg
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, That Clinkz is creepy. I kinda like the Lifestealer tho.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    17034.png
    illusionist set progress
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    I posted there. No response, but there are 3 views, so i guess they read it.

never got an answer there too...
    Skeletons, ghosts, blood and pandas.

why that hate with pandas? they love pandas there!

if pandas were prohibited they would not be able to play wow =]

Just to clarify, I meant without the ability to connect to the DOTA2 network.

And based on my attempts, I think it's safe to say that is not yet implemented. Would love to have the ability to do test-compiles when I don't have a connection though.

Now for a more design-type question; In general, is a smooth color transition better (to prevent noise), or are details better done with sharp edges? I'm noticing that quite a few of the recent submissions have very stark jumps between colors, and this goes against what I did previously.

TL;DR: How do you know when to blur and when not to (for a texture)?
    as far as i know, you cannot launch dota without a internet connection
    Konras wrote: »
    Btw, I encountered today a weirdest thing. Ingame video of NaVi set. I wonder why they didn't added it to workshop directly. It looks way better then I have expected.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yTm59hvWH3I

its on the workshop, i saw it there. probably they finished it after submitting
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, they LOVE pandas but they're not too keen on seeing them die.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, they LOVE pandas but they're not too keen on seeing them die.
    And the rest of the world just loves to see them die? Spooky skeletons are prohibited by law, pandas are not.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alas, our poor pandas may not be long for this world
    at least we've managed to archive priceless footage of these strange peculiar creatures
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGF6bOi1NfA"]Cute pandas playing on the slide - YouTube[/ame]
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They've banned at least one of the Kung-Fu Panda films over there - I'm unsure of the exact reasoning though.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They've banned at least one of the Kung-Fu Panda films over there - I'm unsure of the exact reasoning though.

But Jack Black was so awesome in those films, plus the original soundtrack was quite good too
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    73nkm7g.png
    Think I might be done with the sculpt :o
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    dayum bronto nice work
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    There's too much violence in my Dota!
    WK0yqSc.jpg
    WeX6030.jpg
    Kky3RF0.jpg

Wierdly I kinda like shadow fiend "non violent" face.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    73nkm7g.png
    Think I might be done with the sculpt :o

That looks really awesome! Like metioned in your thread I would change the scales or whatever they are. The rest is just too good :)

About the low violence changes for dota, well I think they all look pretty terrible. Also I don't like hole idea about the low violance stuff. It's just game, are the chinese weird enough to believe it's al real or something, they do live in a strange world (mind).. :s

Also I think we would laugh our asses off when we see their battle history, they probably all faint when seeing blood or skeletons :s

Btw Bronto your monster will probably won't be allowed their as well, because of the scary teeth and stuff.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's cool I've already got my low-violence version concepted:
    Rloyawi.png