• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Looks nice, though I've not played a Thief game before. I like the mis-shapen springs in the lock-pick screen, nice bit of polish there.

Not convinced with the protagonists design though. Is he wearing Mascara? Why the ninja mask? That bow looks like it would break easily too; too many moving parts. I like his shoulder pads though.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Holy son of Mcracker :O
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    FINALLY!!!!!!!!!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome! Can't wait for the ultimate stealth game to return.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Suuuuuper awesome. I've been looking forward to this for years. I hope they don't make it more actiony, though. Part of the fun is knowing that you have to stay hidden or you'll just be screwed.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I'm hoping it's still a stealth game, although we know it's not gonna be a pure stealth experience.

-Some things I've heard is no Rope Arrows :( Being replaced with a grapple of some kind, makes sense and much better than climbing gloves anyways.

-Dry-Ice arrows replacing water arrows.

-Smoke arrows for distraction, maybe a replacement for Noisemaker arrows.

-Some kind of "Focus" vision mode that allows you too highlight lootable and climbable objects.

-Less magical elements, so maybe no Pagans, Undead or Burricks.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Super cool and from the shots its looking quite purdy!

I also hope its super stealthy and not a "stealth" game like the new Metal Gear or Splinter Cell games (aka not stealth at all) Slinking around in the shadows with a bow sounds super fun :D
  • 3DKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    very nice! whats up with the mapping on the bottom left of the second image?

super big fan of the series
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    It sure is fun to work on.

^_^

2nd image is a concept for the GI cover.
  • Ark
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I have never played a Thief game. I've considered picking the Thief games up in the various Steam sales but never did.

This is looking sweet, though. Wondering if I should pick the other ones up in anticipation, or if I'll be able to start with this one as an introduction to the series...
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Two Listen wrote: »
    I have never played a Thief game. I've considered picking the Thief games up in the various Steam sales but never did.

This is looking sweet, though. Wondering if I should pick the other ones up in anticipation, or if I'll be able to start with this one as an introduction to the series...

im in the same boat, hopefully you can just jump into this one... got too many games i gotta finish up lol
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Yay, it's not called Thi4f!
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    This is the DE:HR team right? If so, I'm super exciting--they did a heck of a job living up to the legacy with that game. I love me some thief....!
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Well the new game looks to be a reboot, but Garrett seems to still have his scare and mechanical eye so I guess the stories from the older games is still canon.

Still the previous games are well worth picking up if your really into stealth with an amazing atmosphere.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they are totally worth picking up--though there's some definite highs and lows to the level design. They were trying some really new things in the way those games approached layout, and while the success levels have basically become the bible for non-linear layout today, there are a couple of stinkers in both of the first two games.

Still, they're awesome games.
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
    I can't wait for this game, I loved what the studio did with Deus Ex. I might have to play through all of the other thief games.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Awesome sauce. Loved the first game. The rope arrows were brilliant and I hated that they took them out. By the look of it this time its a rapple thing of some desciption (maybe like just cause2) which still sounds cool.

I'm with swizzle, I hope its all about stealth and less actiony. I remember hiding in the shadows on the first level of thief1 (the castle) for hours on end and i loved it!!!

abd2d0d30327dabf4b7d6b64d37071cd.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You lot are awfully positive. While this is an entirely predictable direction for the game to go in, I don't think I've ever felt a greater desire to hunt down and slap some game developers. Hold still Jacque.

With that not entirely rational emotional outburst out of the way, there's a pretty good likelyhood that this game will be decent, but it's already clear that its a fundamentally different game to what any of the previous Thief games have been.

Eidos have evidently changed who Garret is, making him a competent combatant and by doing that they have also completely altered the games atmosphere. Much of Thief's appeal comes from Garret not being a superman - he's next to useless in a stand up fight and can't even run particularly fast. As such skulking about in the shadows as even the most basic guards stomp about can be quite a terrifying experience because everyone one is amply capable of kicking your arse. Once you lose this vulnerability then you wind up with a game that plays and feels very different.

Thief has a very pure game design. Unlike Deus Ex which has some room to stretch given it was already trying to be everything to everyone, I think there's a real danger of losing what Thief is if you start diluting the purity. Like I said, the game that we eventually gets released could well be a decent one, it's just not going to be a good follow up, and I think that's rather unfortunate.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    so your saying it might be a let down to those who are a fan of the past games, but still be a great game to those new to the series?
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe, Jackablade, but they did good enough of a job with Deus Ex that I'm eager to see how they handle the property: it wasn't just gameplay, but story, art direction, etc., the DX:HR reboot world and lore felt --really-- respectful of the source material..I'd like to hope they'd want to be respectful of the thief world as well.

Also, everyone always says "Garret was terrible in a fight", but I think the reason we all remember shying from fighting so much was because:

1:swarming was crazy in that game..the AI was good at calling for help
    2:on anything past medium difficulty you failed if you killed people (iirc)
    3:you could one-shot anyone who hadn't been alerted with an arrow or clubing, so stealth had fighting advantages

When it was just one on one and if you had space to maneuver, the AI was kinda lacking and easy to deal with....particularly when I go back and play them nowadays...you can really pull the 'jump on a table and watch them try and path to you forever while you take cheap shots' trick. So..I think one-on-one they could make you a badass and they could still preserve the thief feeling pretty easily...so long as give you enough incentives to WANT to remain stealthy.
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't there a possibility that stealth and combat are just options you might spec into just like in DE:HR?
  • Mefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mefix polycounter lvl 16
    Again, judging by what DX:HR team did its a safe bet the game is going to great. It will take some convincing for the original thief fans for which theres tons of time before the launch.
    And if they add "Don't kill anyone" as one of the requirements in the hardest game setting for every level, should be fine :3
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Am I the only one that hated deus ex human revolutions?

Thiefs looking great, not sure I like his design yet with the corset thingey but will wait to see him in action before passing too much judgement :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe, Jackablade, but they did good enough of a job with Deus Ex that I'm eager to see how they handle the property: it wasn't just gameplay, but story, art direction, etc., the DX:HR reboot world and lore felt --really-- respectful of the source material..I'd like to hope they'd want to be respectful of the thief world as well.

Also, everyone always says "Garret was terrible in a fight", but I think the reason we all remember shying from fighting so much was because:

1:swarming was crazy in that game..the AI was good at calling for help
    2:on anything past medium difficulty you failed if you killed people (iirc)
    3:you could one-shot anyone who hadn't been alerted with an arrow or clubing, so stealth had fighting advantages

When it was just one on one and if you had space to maneuver, the AI was kinda lacking and easy to deal with....particularly when I go back and play them nowadays...you can really pull the 'jump on a table and watch them try and path to you forever while you take cheap shots' trick. So..I think one-on-one they could make you a badass and they could still preserve the thief feeling pretty easily...so long as give you enough incentives to WANT to remain stealthy.

It was, but the game shouldn't encourage killing as if it was dishonored, the game should encourage stealth above fighting where as deus ex always gave you the choice.

Killing is a last resort when everything else fails, leaving blood-stains and making tons of noises and often ending up with garret going all dark-engine swashbucklery with a bunch of guards.

Stealth was and should always be the main focus of thief. Killing your way through the map shouldn't be the viable option it was in dishonored, it risks completely reshaping the Garret character.

And also: I hope they put rope-arrows in with full freedom of usability, that was one key element in thief.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enviros look cool. Not a big fan of Garrett though, looks like geared up goth ninja. I miss scummy Garrett who will steal every bit of valuable item and coin there is on map before heading towards exit point :)
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    omg omg omg omg omg omg ....wwweeeezze.... omg omg omg omg omg omg
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I loved Thief and I just hope, HOPE, that they make a proper AI, because the whole "Aiiii, there is a body here!....where are you?.....I will find you....ah well, guess it was nothing...*walks away like nothing was wrong" is really bad in a game like this. Plus everyone shouldn't know that there is someone there, unless they actually see/hear the guard shouting alarm or something. Some games is really bad at that, if you alert one person, everyone knows that there is problems and where you are.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    crazyfool wrote: »
    Am I the only one that hated deus ex human revolutions?

Nope. i'm right there with you buddy.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Big fan of the series up to now (even the last one - Shalebridge Cradle?.. Shudder) so I hope there's a sneaksey gamepath in there.

The audio design (and how AI reacted to it) really set the early games apart. I hope there's due consideration given, but being a big fan of DX:HR I have faith.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed wrote: »
    I loved Thief and I just hope, HOPE, that they make a proper AI, because the whole "Aiiii, there is a body here!....where are you?.....I will find you....ah well, guess it was nothing...*walks away like nothing was wrong" is really bad in a game like this. Plus everyone shouldn't know that there is someone there, unless they actually see/hear the guard shouting alarm or something. Some games is really bad at that, if you alert one person, everyone knows that there is problems and where you are.

The Guards in TES is notorious for being psychic. If one sees you, they all know where you are and evasion is a forgone issue.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Ark wrote: »
    Some kind of "Focus" vision mode that allows you too highlight lootable and climbable objects.

Am I being crazy here or do almost all recent games that claim to also have a "stealthy" approach have a feature like that (see usable objects/enemies/loot etc.)?

Just off the top of my head: Crysis 3, Hitman Absolution, the new tomb raider, far cry 3, assassins creed, dishonored, ghost recon: future soldier.. In some cases this feature is fitting of course (AC for example).

But overall I personally don't like that.. It's almost as if people are worried that if we don't find the loot, ladder/door, goal, exit or enemy in the first 10 seconds upon entering a location, we will start crying and flip the table.

I actually enjoy looking for these things by myself without a huge arrow pointing to the exit, items glowing from afar and enemies with bright red auras. Because god forbid you overlook an enemy, he spots you and you have to retry. But I am not referring to thief 4 with the above, because I have no idea whatsoever how they have done it, if you can simply turn it off etc.

Anyway, I am very excited about the game and I really hope that they stay true to the nature of thief.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I agree with you Mialx. In the first thief games though it was pretty obvious what was lootable because the env geometry was so simple and sparse..I could see that getting tiring rreeeeeallly fast with more detailed env art. Maybe they can pull off the highlighting if it's got a limited range or something.

As for his looks: It kind of feels like they're trying hard to make Garret not look like an Assassin's Creed hero, which is funny because the Assassin's Creed heroes always felt like modernizations of Garret...but I guess the clueless gamer might think the wrong one came first? I dunno...
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Sweet! Looking forward to this. I never get sick of these types of games :)
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking forward working on this project :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loved Thief and I just hope, HOPE, that they make a proper AI, because the whole "Aiiii, there is a body here!....where are you?.....I will find you....ah well, guess it was nothing...*walks away like nothing was wrong" is really bad in a game like this.
    People say this a lot but I'm not sure what they actually want. They reset their states to get you back to playing the game you bought.

The realistic approach would be for the AI to launch an investigation and be ON for the rest of the level forward, basically meaning that if you get spotted you're in a world of hurt for the rest of the level. That sounds bad too.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I loved Thief and I just hope, HOPE, that they make a proper AI, because the whole "Aiiii, there is a body here!....where are you?.....I will find you....ah well, guess it was nothing...*walks away like nothing was wrong" is really bad in a game like this.

That reminds me of a point when playing Skyrim in one of the caverns - shot someone in the head with an arrow, they became alert shouting "What?! Who's there?"

After a while they walked back to their original spot, saying "Must be my imagination..." even though they had an arrow sticking out of their head :D
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7

I thought there were alarms, and alert levels and whatnot.

Besides, after this many years of stealth games, I doubt they'd have such simple mechanics anymore.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Well.. Obviously the arrow moved while he was investigating and it stimulated the brain to loose track and memory of what he was doing... triggering an involuntary "Must be my imagination..." line. I am sure this happens a lot.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be fair also, Thief set that up pretty well. The guards were dumb as stumps. Just listen to them while they stagger around trying to find you ...
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or they were drunk!
    That whole city was full of lushes!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's more AND they were drunk. :) "I'll find you, taffer..."
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    MiAlx wrote: »
    Am I being crazy here or do almost all recent games that claim to also have a "stealthy" approach have a feature like that (see usable objects/enemies/loot etc.)?

Just off the top of my head: Crysis 3, Hitman Absolution, the new tomb raider, far cry 3, assassins creed, dishonored, ghost recon: future soldier.. In some cases this feature is fitting of course (AC for example).

yeah im not the biggest fan of this. in dishonored i played almost the entire game with dark vision on to play it with stealth, but it totally kills all the beautiful art these games have going.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If its something simple though, like the 'usability highlighting/outlining' in deus ex, which fades out at 30 feet or so, then it wouldnt be too obtrusive. If its like..."BAT VISION! OMG POSTEFFECT" then yeah, I'll hate it too.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had the same complaint with Arkham City. LOVED the game to death but I spent way too much time in detective vision which meant I couldn't enjoy the graphics.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I know what you mean, I spent pretty much all the time in detective mode, so I didn't miss anything, and I missed a lot of the graphic. I tried another playthough, where I only turn it on and off when I needed to check around, and the world was so much more dark then I thought. ;)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I like how Metal Gear Rising does their version of Detective mode. As soon as you run or attack you go back to regular vision.. and in Tomb Raider, you can only be in "survival mode" if you are standing still.