Home General Discussion

Thief 4

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That isn't good advice. You really need to play this game on its own terms. Divorce it as much as possible in your head from the memories of the original games.

It's a solid (and very pretty) game, albeit a little heavy on the loading and displaying a few concessions to modern FPS that aren't to my tastes, but if you go in hoping for something akin to the what's come before, you're going to wind up with Sneaky Bastards' "disaster the likes of which we could not fathom".
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    The sneaky bastards review is top of the list for being full of shit. Making comments on the games art and colour palette like he's some kind of authority on what good art direction should and shouldn't be. No thanks. The whole review just comes across as incredibly whiney.

I'm only 3-4 hours in so far but as a fan of the original games it's delivering.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    I am LOVING this game!!! Just got got out of the ancient ruins. Great atmosphere. Masterfully done. Finally a game with the concept of subtlety and finesse. Not everything has to be about explosions and kill streaks. So refreshing. Good job to everyone at eidos!!!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Going to give it a shot when I get home from work today but I'm not sure what to expect. I've never seen reviews that vary, a lot of people seem to hate this game but it looks pretty amazing in my opinion. It's always important to form your own opinion of a game which is why I'll play it anyway, but my guess is people are just hating to get free clicks.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    hands down, the long ass wait was worth it.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I'll watch the not-so-hyped hype-train go by and wait for the obligatory post-release patch
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    shotgun wrote: »
    I'll watch the not-so-hyped hype-train go by and wait for the obligatory post-release patch

:) :thumbup:

Still waiting here the on EU release.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Man, I'm also waiting for the EU release, I watched some let's plays of the first bits of the game and the art is gorgeous and the game looks like a lot of fun. I mean, I assumed it would be kinda like a re-interpretation of the original series and that's how I'm going to play it. Also, from what I saw, the amount of options you are given to tweak the various settings and difficulty is amazing, I wish every game would do that.

I mostly don't see what the hell the reviewers are talking about.. Sure, there are always things that could be done better/differently in retrospective but lately that whole "let's complain about a game once it's released (sometimes well before it's released)" has become a bandwagon and is nothing more than that, it seems. Basically, reviewers hating, just to cause "controversy" and get more clicks. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno.

Anyway, can't wait for the release. :D
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^ the whole options of what to turn off and on, and the perks of doing so is way awesome. Even on console. Very happy about that. Can't wait to play some more this weekend.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    MiAlx wrote: »
    Man, I'm also waiting for the EU release, I watched some let's plays of the first bits of the game and the art is gorgeous and the game looks like a lot of fun. I mean, I assumed it would be kinda like a re-interpretation of the original series and that's how I'm going to play it. Also, from what I saw, the amount of options you are given to tweak the various settings and difficulty is amazing, I wish every game would do that.

I mostly don't see what the hell the reviewers are talking about.. Sure, there are always things that could be done better/differently in retrospective but lately that whole "let's complain about a game once it's released (sometimes well before it's released)" has become a bandwagon and is nothing more than that, it seems. Basically, reviewers hating, just to cause "controversy" and get more clicks. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno.

Anyway, can't wait for the release. :D

Probably because they've removed a lot of what made Thief, Thief. I guess that's ok for a Reboot, but they could have kept the stuff that made Thief special in the first place, instead on just making what seems a different game under the Thief name to sell it.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Ark wrote: »
    Probably because they've removed a lot of what made Thief, Thief. I guess that's ok for a Reboot, but they could have kept the stuff that made Thief special in the first place, instead on just making what seems a different game under the Thief name to sell it.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense and I do agree that they should have taken the things that made thief what it is into the new game. What I basically meant to say earlier is that I just find it a shame that while there are negative aspects to the game, too little focus is put on the positive things it has to offer. In all that rage, the cool parts of the game are lost.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    MiAlx wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense and I do agree that they should have taken the things that made thief what it is into the new game. What I basically meant to say earlier is that I just find it a shame that while there are negative aspects to the game, too little focus is put on the positive things it has to offer. In all that rage, the cool parts of the game are lost.

Yeah I'm trying to keep an open mind going into this when I finally get to play tomorrow. I think approaching this as a new game it may turn out ok and pretty decent. I know going in there thinking it's gonna be like the previous games is already bad thinking.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you be more specific?
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Can you be more specific?

On what?

If your asking about the previous games compared to the reboot, then you can take a trip over to TTLG, there's plenty of threads that detail the changes or should I say the removal of specifics of what made the previous games great.

I'm not gonna post specifics here and downgrade this reboot has I'm generally looking forward to playing it, but for the old-time fans, this doesn't feel like a Thief game only in name alone.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds like a good place to get covered in fanboy spittle, so I'll pass. Just wondering if you would expand on what "they've removed a lot of what made Thief, Thief" meant.

But no worries. I bought it, and will check it out eventually. :P
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Well the main points that are the smaller more linear levels that aren't helped by the loading zones. This was a problem in T3 as well. In TDP and TMA you had these huge sprawling levels that had multiple approach points.

Another point is they seem to have lost a lot of the atmosphere, they removed the factions like the Pagans and Hammerites. Hub areas seem bare and empty.
    The ambient music seems a lot weaker. The sound propagation seems to have taken a back-seat.

The guard humour is gone, no more Taffers, replaced with serious chatter and real-world cursing. Some of the greatest times was just hiding in a shadow watching the guards say daft stuff.

They simplified a lot of the mechanics, like the contextual movement system that restricts free movement, Rope Arrows only working in predefined areas.

One of the most controversial points was the removal of Stephen Russell has the voice actor, he pretty much was Garrett. This is my most personal gripe and the reasoning they gave for not having him in nonsense, especially considering that there's supposedly bad lip-sync in the game.

A lot of this might come across aa simple moaning or bitching, but they were pretty integral parts to the previous games.

To their credit they did remove a lot of the things that fans lashed out against like the XP system and 3rd person actions. They added the plethora of options to please everyone and their grandma.

Guess this stuff doesn't matter for people new to the series, but I can't help wonder if they'd kept some of the lore and aspects of the original games, they would have had a better game on their hands.

Shall find out for myself tomorrow when the game unlocks for EU.
  • Hyderette
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This new Thief games looks vaguely like a mixture of Mirrors Edge and Dishonored, even though the original came out many years before.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Xbox one really need to sort themselves out, these filters they run to make the games look upto speed really destroy them, over contrasting and over sharpening....yuck!!!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    What rubs the fans of the classic games up the wrong way is the differences in design ethos. The original games focus on systems - you're given an array of tools and rules and let loose on the game world. The modern thief is a more scripted experieence - levels are more straight forward, you're told where you can shoot your ropes, where you can jump, there are lots of cutscenes including for simple elements like knocking out a guard. The result is far more spectacular to look at and lends itself to tight storytelling and pacing.

Neither philosophy is bad in and of itself, it just comes down to the taste of the player.

Thief is a pretty special game in the hearts of many people. It's not terribly surprising that the changes have gained the ire of those who revere Looking Glass and its alumnus and the particular focus on systemic game play that go with them. The forum/gaming name I've been using since I was in high school came from Thief, so you know where my support lies.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=141833
    We have just made public a new version of the PC version of Thief, v1.1 build 4110.1. This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.
    This patch will address the following issues

- Fix for a crash after loading a new game or benchmark, often seen on Intel GPU hardware.
    - Fix for DOF issue when peeking through keyholes.
    - Fix for stereoscopic 3D inconsistencies in option menus. Forces VSync to be ON and Triple Buffering to be OFF.
    - Fix for a bug where “Invert mouse X/Y” would not be saved.
    - Minor UI improvements.
    - Optimized memory usage.

While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on the old version we made a Beta available on Steam, v1.0 build 4107.3, that can be used to switch back to the previous version

Step 1: Go to your STEAM library and select Thief in your game list
    Step 2: right-click on the game and go to properties
    Step 3: go to the Betas tab in the properties menu
    Step 4: select version 1.0 and press ok.

This will set you back to the original released version of the game.
    We will keep monitoring for feedback and will release further patches as it seems required. We always welcome your feedback!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I knew a thief once, broke his leg falling out a window into wet cement. They said he'd become a hardened criminal.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those release notes make me think of Archer.

Phrasing!!

It makes it sound like the initial release was a beta.
    Step 1: Go to your STEAM library and select Thief in your game list
    Step 2: right-click on the game and go to properties
    Step 3: go to the Betas tab in the properties menu
    Step 4: select version 1.0 and press ok.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think one should try and compare a reboot of a franchise to older titles in the franchise, it's only going to lead to disappointment. DmC is a great example of this. As a Devil May Cry game, it's trash, as a random action game, it's incredible, and many can agree to this (although hardcore DMC fans will call it trash regardless of what you tell them.)

I think a lot of the hate for Thief is coming from the fact that people are looking at it from the perspective of being a hardcore fan of the franchise, rather than looking at it as a standalone game. While this might seem like the logical thing to do, it only leads to disappointment because the devs aren't going to be able to recreate a game, especially one as old as the original Thief. I've yet to see a reboot that truly worked other than maybe Max Payne 3, but even then, a lot of hardcore Max Payne fans hated it.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I haven't played it myself, but the X-COM reboot got a pretty good reception. From what I gather, it's cuz of the devs staying true to the original. It's really that simple, less is more. Game design mechanics like headshots XP & action-trigger cinematics in the earlier Thief trailers show u these guys had their heads elsewhere.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    I bought Thief and i like it!
    Remembers me on the old Dark Project Parts!

Really cool atmosphere!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A confusing ending tho, but then again Thief always has an odd ending, except for Thief 3
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Finished the main story today, can't say I'm too impressed with the storyline. Ending missions also felt way more linear and directed than the previous missions despite them being linear.

Also
    Boss fight fights in a stealth game? I see we didn't learn anything from Deus Ex: HR!

Overall I enjoyed my time, it's a pretty decent game, just a bad Thief game.

Also the game needs a colour script, every mission felt the same, all the environments were the same cyan ambient, yellow directly lit levels and with the fog combined with the AO is some of all distant shots just hid all of the great art.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark

Damn it. Your spoiler tags answer a question I was thinking this morning as I was playing. I was playing along and I thought, Man I hope this doesn't have ____. And apparently it does. FUCK. I hate that. I wish we could do away with that whole school of design. The original games didn't have them.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah it's like they were put there just to have them in there, I felt the same way about them in Dues Ex: HR.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I know nothing of the franchise, and my wife picked it up yesterday for PS4. I didn't find the experience fun. It was linear, the controls were counter-intuitive, and the narrative was so angsty I couldn't stand it. It's like a bad interpretation of what Dishonored accomplished in strides.

I feel like we really blew $60 on something we're not going to finish.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the main story today, can't say I'm too impressed with the storyline. Ending missions also felt way more linear and directed than the previous missions despite them being linear.

Also
    Boss fight fights in a stealth game? I see we didn't learn anything from Deus Ex: HR!

Overall I enjoyed my time, it's a pretty decent game, just a bad Thief game.

Also the game needs a colour script, every mission felt the same, all the environments were the same cyan ambient, yellow directly lit levels and with the fog combined with the AO is some of all distant shots just hid all of the great art.

you have a choice, either leave, or confront the thief taker general. I chose to leave because I ran out of arrows.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    As a huge fan of the previous ones, I tried to ignore all the negative press and the bad reviews... We all know that most reviews are full of shit anyway.

But oh man... I haven't had this much trouble getting into a game in a very long time. Not only is it ugly as sin, but its also nothing like the old Thief games? Terrible UI, terrible frame rate, ugly as sin, the most awful hud design that must have taken all of two minutes that's HUGE and in your face (Whats with that flashing? And the shitty vignette that rotates and moves about? Ugh..., let me disable that shit).

And the plot? The plot makes me ACHE for a Michael Bay film... And the acting is like day time soaps...

I can't say they dropped the ball on this. Its more like they picked up the ball and bloody threw it at the wall... Did they even PLAY the old games?

This dumbing down and hand holding this needs to STOP. Linear, boring gameplay needs to STOP. And raping of all franchises and names needs to S..... Well you get the idea...

*sigh*
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    you have a choice, either leave, or confront the thief taker general. I chose to leave because I ran out of arrows.

Yeah I did the same and left,
    but why put that in there in the first place? This is supposed to be a stealth game, you're supposed to be weak in combat and avoid direct confrontation.

They did the same thing in Deus Ex: HR, if you went the stealth or hacking route, you were way underpowered to take on the bosses.

odium wrote: »
    As a huge fan of the previous ones, I tried to ignore all the negative press and the bad reviews... We all know that most reviews are full of shit anyway.

But oh man... I haven't had this much trouble getting into a game in a very long time. Not only is it ugly as sin, but its also nothing like the old Thief games? Terrible UI, terrible frame rate, ugly as sin, the most awful hud design that must have taken all of two minutes that's HUGE and in your face (Whats with that flashing? And the shitty vignette that rotates and moves about? Ugh..., let me disable that shit).

And the plot? The plot makes me ACHE for a Michael Bay film... And the acting is like day time soaps...

I can't say they dropped the ball on this. Its more like they picked up the ball and bloody threw it at the wall... Did they even PLAY the old games?

This dumbing down and hand holding this needs to STOP. Linear, boring gameplay needs to STOP. And raping of all franchises and names needs to S..... Well you get the idea...

*sigh*

I tried the same approach and if you approach it know nothing or expecting anything about Thief, then it's an ok game, otherwise they completely missed the mark on everything bar a few things that I did like that added some immersion.

Like you say the constant hand-holding and directed flow of the game, especially in the later levels is a complete turn-around to what the older had you do, gave you a set of tools and left you to explore these sprawling non-linear levels.
    There was a part were I jumped down a section and it killed me, I did it again using the contextual-jump from the same place and somehow lived, this is another form of hand holding and keeping you from straying.

As for the looks, it's just ruined with the fog, it looks bad in areas in the distance, the fog just removes the textures from surfaces and your left with horrible look were the AO is way to strong (Far Cry 3 levels of overdone AO) that gives this horrible cell-shaded look.
    Every area looks the same as well, because there's no change in the colour palette.
    Hard to navigate the hub-world because everything looks the same and I've no idea why the hub areas are so small, Thief: DS was criticised for having small levels, but they seem even smaller here ten years later.

Won't even mention the story, I'll just say it comes nowhere near the greatness of the older games.

This Reboot trend seems to be a way to sell newer games under established IP's with completely different genres of gameplay.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think "ugly as sin" is a little over the top. I agree that the art direction could have been better but the world itself looks pretty good, to my eyes. Are you playing on PC?
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I wouldn't say it's an ugly game, just the fog that ruins it, covers the art and the lighting is the same that doesn't give any variation.

I'm playing on PC with an Nvidia card and this is what I get for a lot of the distant scenes:

x20t.jpg

I thought it was a driver issue at first being a "AMD optimised" game.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess it comes from looking at the game constantly. I still haven't started the game yet as I spent the weekend with Nosgoth, but looking at the individual screenshots you posted on your Steam wall made the game look beautiful haha.

I'm getting a bit tired of the reboot trend though. I'd rather have new IPs that are unique rather than reboots that usually fail to deliver.

On paper it sounds like making a new IP would even be more profitable for the devs. I mean, if this game came out with a different name, I'm sure it wouldn't have been getting so much hate. I still haven't found somebody that actually likes this game a lot.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    dont know what yall are talking about. Its an absolutely beautiful game. Great challenging gameplay. Its not supper easy like dishonored.
    The story is pretty cool to me. :)
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    It's hard to make an easy game. Dishonored was "easy" (as if that is a weakness) because it allowed you to play how you wanted. The game left a lot open for you, gave you options, and once you figured out what worked for you it became "easy" but no less compelling, interesting, or fun. I had fun every moment in Dishonored.

Thief 4 is just "play this sequence how we've laid it out for you." No choice, no drive, just walking down a hallway pressing buttons when prompted to.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I did the same and left,
    but why put that in there in the first place? This is supposed to be a stealth game, you're supposed to be weak in combat and avoid direct confrontation.

They did the same thing in Deus Ex: HR, if you went the stealth or hacking route, you were way underpowered to take on the bosses.
    Because, if you were following the story line, The Thief Taker General has been after him since Chapter 1. He had to confront him eventually. It kinda sets in with the story line. There was only one boss lad, I havent explored the entire city yet.

That being said, if the boss sets in with the storyline, by all means, put em there and give one a chance to escape or confront (which I kinda liked.) Deus Ex was a completely different story.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Because, if you were following the story line, The Thief Taker General has been after him since Chapter 1. He had to confront him eventually. It kinda sets in with the story line. There was only one boss lad, I havent explored the entire city yet.

That being said, if the boss sets in with the storyline, by all means, put em there and give one a chance to escape or confront (which I kinda liked.) Deus Ex was a completely different story.
    The previous games had antagonists that you had to confront and destroy, but you didn't take them on in a traditional combat route, you destroyed them using stealth, not shooting arrows in the their faces from the darkness.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I really find myself liking how this game looks, but thats just me...
    I haven't gotten far enough in to judge the story, but I like what I've seen so far.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The previous games had antagonists that you had to confront and destroy, but you didn't take them on in a traditional combat route, you destroyed them using stealth, not shooting arrows in the their faces from the darkness.
    Shooting blast arrows to be exact. :p

I am ok with the boss fights as long as they settle in the storyline, I havent played Deus Ex a whole lot but seriously if there are boss fights after every mission, then it would be seriously retarded.

and by whole lot I mean I ran through the first mission and stopped playing in the middle.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Just started playing the PC version this morning, feckin awesome. It is certainly not ugly as sin, don't really get where that came from. The gameplay is good and still feels reminiscent of the old Thief titles, really like it. Only one thing I was confused about: why is there an electric desk fan on one of the tables ¬_¬

qqpJuzC.jpg
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Torch wrote: »
    Just started playing the PC version this morning, feckin awesome. It is certainly not ugly as sin, don't really get where that came from. The gameplay is good and still feels reminiscent of the old Thief titles, really like it. Only one thing I was confused about: why is there an electric desk fan on one of the tables ¬_¬

qqpJuzC.jpg

Haha that's hilarious. Wtf?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They have electricity ... what's hard to believe about the fan?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Household electric fans like that didn't become a thing until well into the 20th century, so it's very out of place. The electric ceiling fan itself was invented around 1890 for industrial use.

Not to mention, what would you plug it into? Plug sockets as we know them also didn't start existing until into the 20th century either.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, is this game historically accurate or something? :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    It gets even more weird, the next room you enter has 2 guards shouting as they play Nidhogg on a PC XD

It's not completely historically accurate but for believability sake the world has to have items that pertain to the era, right? Or shall we have jets flying overhead as you sail your ship in assassins Creed black flag and if questioned, just go "It's ok, its not supported to be historically accurate" -_-
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The anachronism clearly broke his suspension of disbelief, ergo, it's a problem ;)