Home General Discussion

Darksiders II

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I guess i agree with some of that. V Sync doesn't really work. There is tearing here and there. The textures look nice as a whole. But there is plenty of areas where you can tell how low res the textures are. Specially in the menu where you see this low quality death staring at you. Also, the shadow is pretty bad. I am quite sure that this will get resolved. I have not noticed the sound since i play with my headphones most of the time. But apart from that the game is amazing. Just update it, patch it, high res textures, AA, some other nice settings and this will be great.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    dtschultz wrote: »
    I am curious how you guys did the rock walls (if there are any environment artists from Vigil around)? The specularity on these rocks looks great, and it looks like there is a shift in the specular color based on the camera. Am I completely off with this? I can't tell if I am imagining this.

I thought this exact thing so I don't think we're imagining it. I would love to know how the shading/lighting works
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Finished it yesterday. Amazing!!! Congrats to all the people that worked on it. Outstanding work. Love the Arena in the Dead City. Great job on those environments.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Playing it for a while, I can only say kudos to the shader artist that put effort in making everything pop out, with fresnel and glancing colors, as well for everything else, it's awesome.

With that said, I think an option to modify these settings is sorely needed, I mean the game already lacks any type of self-shadowing, so some of the fresnel pop on the models is really bad, as in colors are way to over saturated, especially on the Creators, how have lots of vibrant colors, especially in places where it's supposed to be shadowed.

At the same time, I don't understand why sometimes the characters are so dark compared to the edge high-lights, most of them give off a very matte, wool, cotton feeling in terms of look, which for stuff for metal just looks wrong because of the 'dark inside, light edge' feeling.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    So for me it started off slow... but i thought hey.. i will have another go earlier today, it is now 5am
    Damn this thing hits its stride so well

Thanks guys, was an awesome experience :)
    Not sure if i will go round and hunt all the silly items or use it as an excuse to see some of the art again. Or maybe touch nightmare (i did it on the one below)

Thanks again :D
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So an update for PC is coming.

http://kotaku.com/5937465/vigil-promises-fixes-for-janky-pc-darksiders-ii-in-the-weeks-to-come

Darksiders PC owners,

Your feedback is incredibly important to us, so we have been working around the clock to address issues that some of you have been having, as well as adding features you have requested. The team is prioritizing finding solutions to these issues.

We are working on fixes for a number of bugs which can potentially block progression that have come to our attention, while also exploring adding additional features you have been asking for. This work includes vsync updates, improved shadow map resolution, X-axis options and additional keyboard mapping options (amongst other community requests). We hope to roll out a number of patches to address these issues in the weeks to come.

Keep your eyes peeled on Darksiders.com for updates on patch timing and content.

The Vigil Team
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Glad to hear that cuz i'm stucked right now due to several bugs. What i would like to see is a Hi.res texture pack like with skyrim, the game feels so pixelated in too many areas compared to darksiders 1. For example, the characters should have the double of size in textures.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Really disappointed in the texture resolutions. I want to enjoy the game visually to the fullest but it's hard when I can see all the dds compression >_<

Otherwise it's a great game so far. Kinda wish there was more smashy smashy and less rolly ball rollin'
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I echo what everyone else has said, the game looks amazing. I am really impressed with how good it looks even with all the reuse of assets. I mean for having so many stone surfaces (in the first couple of levels), you guys have done a great job of making it looking visually interesting and not repetitive.

I am curious how you guys did the rock walls (if there are any environment artists from Vigil around)? The specularity on these rocks looks great, and it looks like there is a shift in the specular color based on the camera. Am I completely off with this? I can't tell if I am imagining this. Also, did you guys vertex pain the light brown dirt on the rocks or is that all in the texture? It looks varied, so I am thinking it's vert paint or some sort of shader.

Most of the environment assets couldn't afford to have specular maps, so the spec maps were calculated from the diffuse in the shader. Since we paint a lot of subtle color into our diffuse (reds, greens, yellows, blues, purples), that is amplified in the spec and is probably what you are noticing.

We used vert blending on a lot of environment assets, especially rocks. The rocks used a unique sculpt in addition to vert blending to a tiling texture and having a tiling detail norm.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Most of the environment assets couldn't afford to have specular maps, so the spec maps were calculated from the diffuse in the shader. Since we paint a lot of subtle color into our diffuse (reds, greens, yellows, blues, purples), that is amplified in the spec and is probably what you are noticing.

We used vert blending on a lot of environment assets, especially rocks. The rocks used a unique sculpt in addition to vert blending to a tiling texture and having a tiling detail norm.

Thanks for the response Konrad! Yeah, it must be the color in the diffuse then. It's really subtle, but it looks great. Awesome work, man.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the response Konrad! Yeah, it must be the color in the diffuse then. It's really subtle, but it looks great. Awesome work, man.

Some of the environment assets do have fresnels on them. Very subtle in the shader to fake bounce.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Progg wrote: »
    Some of the environment assets do have fresnels on them. Very subtle in the shader to fake bounce.

Thanks, Steven! Yeah, that's what I was thinking after I read one of the above posts. That combined with the subtle spec color gives it some really nice variety and depth.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I love you talented guys and gals at Vigil, the art is stunning, the music is epic, and Deaths voiced by Michael Wincott!!!!! ......amazeballs!!!! haha
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    The PC version is already patched, yay! they have solved a few issues.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? what did it patch? I noticed that death in the menu doesn't look as pixelated. Apart from that, anything else?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Some great art in this game, and seems pretty fun so far.
    I really wish there was a way to change the fov/camera, really can't see much at the moment, it makes it hard to really appreciate the vast environments, and also makes combat a bit annoying at times.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Vsync already works, but when activated, the camera and movements seems a bit slow.

The shadows are better now, and not so pixelated as before. They could have used another system for the shadows though.

Yeah, the camera should have a better fov, or an option to chose the fov. The UI is still very pixelated, and it's very noticeable when pressing tab.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooooh. I noticed that some of my textures were a little sharper on the characters. I paid no attention to the shadows. But i'll look.

you're right! the shadows a whole lot better.

I still see a little bit of tearing tho... specially when i move the camera fast. I do have my sensitivity way high tho. I didn't notice any slow down in the camera tho.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just beat like 25 waves of the crucible, decided to quit cuz i had to go and the chest contained nothing at all :(

I do like the crucible tho... i don't think i encountered anything tough as i had the teleport and the get strong for like 10 seconds.

I love the weapons you can upgrade. That's all i use now. Since i have all the money i need to purchase all the moves, now i can use those as sacrifices to upgrade them.

Also... i have to go to the dead tree but i am stuck.. the golden coin points to one of the unopened portals but there is nothing else. Am i missing something?

I am exploring like every single bit. This game is great. Runs a lot better now too.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Woot! I completed all XBox achievements! I really had a lot of fun playing it. Even if I hadn't work on it, this would be the type of game I'd love to play.

I will say I didn't think Apocalyptic mode was hard enough. I was going for all achievements so I played on apocalyptic from the beginning.

Can't wait for the DLC. 30 day will be dropping soon.

- BoBo
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work guys ! Game is really really fun !
    And beautiful too :)
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    So if you had a choice, is it better to get the Xbox or PC version?
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm liking it the music and atmosphere is great.

Its got the annoying niggles from the first game though. Like the camera. The lock on camera is useless for anything but individuals or boss's. Low down look at this epic boss type view, not actually useful for seeing your surroundings. The ordinary view is all over the place, I'm always getting hit by things from off screen.

I know 3d cameras are difficult but other games have done it better. The effects are kind off too noisy and overdone and makes it hard to see whats going on.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://community.darksiders.com/go/thread/view/138731/29345887/Darksiders_II_PC_Patch_Update_2

PC Patch #2 Details:

• In this patch your key mappings will revert to defaults.

• Added Key Bindings option to the Pause Menu. (Previous location on the Moves List still there)

• The V-sync graphics option is now functional.

• Reaper Form now triggers correctly when using a Keyboard.

• Video Settings save to the Steam Cloud correctly.

• You can now sacrifice items below the 3rd row in the Possessed Weapon menu.

• Target Reticules align properly at all screen resolutions.

• Addressed crashes in Blackstone, including at the 2nd lever and during the Lilith cut-scene.

• Various gameplay progressions fixes.

I think this one the fix someone was talking about the other day.
  • BlvdNights
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    That is extremely depressing news.

Almost through my first play through and I really love this game. The art is out of this world awesome, I literately spend hours just looking at things and admiring them.

Such a fun hack and slash game, I dont see why this isnt doing better. Maybe Aug is just a terrible time to release games? Heres to hoping Vigil dosnt get hit with layoffs but with these low numbers it seems the Darksiders franchise might be getting the axe at least. Shame, would loved to play through the other 2 horsemens storys. Such a neat concept in that regard with each new game.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .... i thought it was gonna do ok.... i literally have taken hundreds of screen grabs of the game. Finished it. Loved it. With this low sales i doubt that they'll go into development of a third... at least not right away. This sucks.
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    Just got this game yesterday, loving every minute of it.

Shame about the sales figures though, but doesn't it continuing to sell copies?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that's a big old load of suckage. That's just retail sales though right? Any word on how it's doing digitally? It's currently #21 on Steam but its been almost a month now.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    @Scudz, I think it includes PC as well. Here's another link talking about sales decline for August, which has DS2 at the top:
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-09-06-video-games-sales-drop-20-percent-in-us-for-august
  • mastershokhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of people are picking it up this week because of the Toys R Us 2 for $60 deal. And the same will happen on Black Friday so we will see. Here are the worldwide numbers for a better look BTW the artbook comes out Nov. 13th
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can't wait for the art book :D
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    glottis8 wrote: »
    can't wait for the art book :D

When and where can I go to pick one of these up?
  • mastershokhan
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Ooooh that's a bummer. Read it'll take around 2m to break even, so the game might not be too profitable in the end, supposedly. Glad I bought a copy at $60!

Gonna go shame all my friends who pirated it.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    It looks to me as if the latest patch from Vigil added higher rez character textures, for those of you asking for that...
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Those numbers are really sad. Considering how much Madden 13 sold. It seems that gamers in general are not very interested in new IPs.

Hey ScoobyDoofus, can you post some screenshots with those new higher res textures.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    300K units in the US alone? Maaaan, talk about unlucky strike.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    is it just me or is this game really hard ? i recently finished darksiders 1 and didnt have much trouble beating waves of enemies but in D2 i kill 1 wave and suddenly 4 harder enemies spawn while my life was already reduced significantly by the first wave.
    Boss battles are pretty manageable but its mostly the fights leading up to them that are hard.
    im talking about normal difficulty, already had to switch to easy for a few of those fights
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is it just me or is this game really hard ? i recently finished darksiders 1 and didnt have much trouble beating waves of enemies but in D2 i kill 1 wave and suddenly 4 harder enemies spawn while my life was already reduced significantly by the first wave.
    Boss battles are pretty manageable but its mostly the fights leading up to them that are hard.
    im talking about normal difficulty, already had to switch to easy for a few of those fights

I've found your loadout makes a pretty big difference in the games difficulty. I was using the full Angel of Death set when I first started the game and found it really easy since most of the weapons/armor give health pretty generously with every hit. After I started changing stuff for weapons with higher damage and hp I started getting rocked pretty hard. It's a trade off where you can take out most of the smaller guys with 1 or 2 hits but they can do you a lot of damage as well. I ended up going back to armor with lower hp but health regen and really strong weapons, where its not super easy as I still have to manage health vials to make it through.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Every character has a tell before it strikes. The game is about dodging and combos. I did apocalyptic mode my first play-through. I was going for all achievements so I focused on gear that give boost to experience gain (hitting level 30 is an achievement) even at the sacrifice of other stats. Get a possessed weapon and max it out with health steal and health regen. Also use the Exhume skill. the help of the ghouls will mitigate a lot of the swarms.

It being hard is the fun of it! :)

- BoBo
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    tnx for the tips guys,

bobo: yeah i use the exhume skill all the time.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    My usual strategy for harder mobs/swarms:

Exhume > Teleport Slash (on the most annoying enemy). Every now and then I'll throw the crows in there to stall a bit more. Bobo's suggestion is spot on too: get a possessed weapon with health regen/steal on and you'll be golden. Or later, some of the legendary scythes and even one of the secondary weapons that you automatically get gives you health steal.
  • R3D
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I think it's just not a good time for Games and Movies in general for some reason. This has also been the slowest week for movies in 4 years. The number #1 film I don't think broke Ten Million. I don't know what it is, but even I am not motivated to buy any new games that are over $15 or see any new movie. The only games I buy are indie side scrollers.. but I really do love Vigil so I might have to pick up Darksiders to show my support.

Maybe we do need new consoles to invigorate the market? Or at least get people excited about AAA games. God knows I don't get that excited anymore. I WILL NOT BUY A GAME UNTIL THE LAST GUARDIAN COMES OUT.
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    I got this today. Looks awesome!

brOST.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Mine just came in haha. Wicked cool!

340966_4603745930534_1422148093_o.jpg