Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    yay, finished the rig on my courier (with the 3498 triangles on the screen left =], i think i will add a quad to get a round number )

1r8yl.jpg

also finished the uvmap yesterday
    m7WfE.jpg

and made a quick test to check its size ingame
    87Gvr.jpg

done:
    high poly
    lod0 - 3500 tris
    normalmap
    occlusion
    lightbake
    rig

to do:
    lod1 - 3000 tris
    skinning
    greys saturation study
    color scheme
    difuse map
    mask1 and mask2
    ALL THE ANIMATIONS (the best part!)
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_m972qov2d81r43xj0o1_500.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=91173961

Currently set to view only via link at the moment until I can resolve this bug regarding the preview image not changing.
  • Orlando446
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of the Dota heroes don't decompile
    instead mdl decompiler just crashes
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orlando446 wrote: »
    Most of the Dota heroes don't decompile
    instead mdl decompiler just crashes

When does it crash exactly ?
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    You're better off working on heroes that Valve has provided the source files for than trying to decompile anyway. There's also packs of all the heroes already decompiled.

I am quite sick of sculpting fur. There will also be a head component and staff. I am not sure whether or not I like the popped collar. Also not sure if I like a Tiara or another Wizard hat for the head slot.
    Y28F
  • Don Karnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    You're better off working on heroes that Valve has provided the source files for than trying to decompile anyway. There's also packs of all the heroes already decompiled.
    If you're going by this method, run the game and check whether the hero you are using is available on the Upload tool yet. For example, Naga Siren's model is downloadable but you can't yet upload cosmetics for her.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has to be something set up improperly on your end Orlando. I started working on items for heroes who weren't 'officially' supported and they all de-compiled, re-compiled, and worked just fine when I would add them to the heroes inside of the SDK.

Just a side note, and my coming tutorial will cover this, but I think it's better to get into the habit of using the SDK (either Alien Swarm or CS:GO) rather than using the tool built into DOTA. It should give you more flexibility and then you'll also know how to mod things for any Source based game :poly124:
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Weapon for Phantom lancer I finished.

First model for dota 2.

B961C1C66E15B3D93C7F331B0FAA937E5C8C5013
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=91256100&searchtext=

Thank you! feedback would be appreciated
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    @Mark.N : Can't wait for that tutorial! Its true that SDK gives a lot more flexibility, I'm now switching from the Dota 2 Built-in tool to the Alien Swarm SDK.(Made a model for Naga Siren and I can't try it because there is no Naga Siren in the built-in tool xD)
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    yay, finished the rig on my courier (with the 3498 triangles on the screen left =], i think i will add a quad to get a round number )

I think you should add a plane, 3500tris :D
    Awesome work as always
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Mark.N wrote: »
    Just a side note, and my coming tutorial will cover this, but I think it's better to get into the habit of using the SDK (either Alien Swarm or CS:GO) rather than using the tool built into DOTA. It should give you more flexibility and then you'll also know how to mod things for any Source based game :poly124:

Huuuurrrrryyyyy

The AS/SFM browsers crash for a random assortment of the dota character models I extracted from the GCF. Some work, some don't.
  • Dvonio
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio wrote: »

Those animations are great, are they yours or stock?

The backspin hit especially.
  • Timex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    I've been away from polycount forums for quite a while, but I'm back again - hehe!

I have been working on a model for DOtA2 and I was finally able to put it in-game.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=91326848

I hope you like it.
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    Almost done with the shield model. Just needs a few tweaks before I start texturing.
    ZUGIi.jpg

EDIT: Tweaks done. I started working on the texture but I'm having an issue.
    Notice the dark blocks near the gold parts.
    NvILA.jpg?1

Those are not part of the texture but appear in-game, regardless of angle. I'm also getting the same issue on my sword.

Can someone help?
  • Taz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taz
    I just wanted to say thanks for this thread guys, helped a lot with my first workshop item :)

03DA837E8B183829C78BDFA18F1F43B5FB2FAAC0
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taz wrote: »
    I just wanted to say thanks for this thread guys, helped a lot with my first workshop item :)

It's looking really nice. Good job.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taz wrote: »

great idea with the broken blade =]
  • Yotsuba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Over the last few days at my day job I have read all 51 pages of this thread. You guys have a lot of knowledge to share about the process and a lot of really amazing works.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Could we get an update to the first post please Zipfinator to reflect that the DOTA2 tools have updated so that you can import FBX files?

This thread was the first place I looked past the valve requirements and now that I have a model I'm still a little in the dark about how I'm going to get my model into the game.

I'll show you what I've got when I have something to show.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    VALVE wrote:
    Finally, in order to better support the cool ideas for Drow Ranger items we’ve seen on the workshop, we’ve changed her model break-up so that her hair and cloak are separate items. Her quiver is now a ‘misc’ item, her cloak is now a ‘back’ item, and her hair is now a ‘head’ item. This means that the Frost Spikes community item in the Spikes of Frost bundle has also been broken into two items. To make sure everyone gets the new items, players who own the Frost Spikes will now receive a bundle containing the new hair and cape item (which can then be equipped separately).

http://blog.dota2.com/2012/08/foam-fingers/

That's what the "model coming soon" thing for Drow Ranger has been leading up to. I am glad for it, but it's a bit late in the case of the item I made. Going to have to resubmit it in pieces, and probably redo parts the cape.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    @Blaken - Cheers! and sounds like a solid plan you have there, looking forward to seeing where it goes.

@zicoV - Thanks and i like the staff, you might be able to get away with only self illumination/full bright for the eye glow if the particle system doesn't cooperate.

@Y_M - Nice shammy backpack!

@SinAmos - Simple brutality, Axe would be pleased :)

@Tvidotto - Thanks again, and really digging all your Courier work, the new ones already looking pretty special.

@Taz - My favorite Bloodseeker wep so far, solid work!

I was also wondering if anyone knows Valves position on submitting work not supported by the official dota 2 tool. For example bolting on a few armor pieces and changing a weapon is fun, and its pretty great we have the opportunity to even do this, but being able to do a complete texture swap or model update would be better.

A more direct example would be the Dragon knight character, changing the available parts is great, but if i wanted to keep a consistent theme between all the armor parts changing the body would be pretty important.
  • Stefco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco polycounter lvl 5
    hi all, ive made a concept for sk, so i thought maybe u can give me some tips on what to change before i start with 3D :D

i251fd.png
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony wrote: »

I was also wondering if anyone knows Valves position on submitting work not supported by the official dota 2 tool. For example bolting on a few armor pieces and changing a weapon is fun, and its pretty great we have the opportunity to even do this, but being able to do a complete texture swap or model update would be better.

A more direct example would be the Dragon knight character, changing the available parts is great, but if i wanted to keep a consistent theme between all the armor parts changing the body would be pretty important.

there is a tinycustom skin, but i dont know if they accepted or not

if you reenskin a character i think it will be no problem to them, but a model swap you should stay with the original bones and configuration of the pieces, it should fit with the other ones

but to be sure you can ask on your item page, there is a place to send messages to them =]
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Stefco wrote: »
    hi all, ive made a concept for sk, so i thought maybe u can give me some tips on what to change before i start with 3D :D

i251fd.png

I like the idea and the sketch, but not the practicality of the skull placement. The amount of contact and the force of swinging the sword would shatter that skull reall quick, if it didn't fall off first.

What if you removed the skull and reshaped the top of the blade into a shape that resembles a skull? It should still sell the skeleton idea, be visually interesting and functional.
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Can we add http://dota2.com/workshop/requirements to the first post for reference? Even after reading most of these pages, I didn't realize this link listed those characters that are already split up and ready for submissions.
  • Solution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the lance further, got some texturing done (Don't mind the seems on the grips) - Any suggestions on improvements?
    As always, thanks :).
    SUf1S.png
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys

for people experiencing problems with transparent model in game its probably for the wrong path of the texture before exporting

some people asked for help with the same problem, so i think it worth sharing the solution

on maya just add a simple lambert with the vtm file as the diffuse map like this one
    Ob29C.jpg

the path is realative when you export the smd, so it dont matter where it its, but it NEED to be inside a path relative to the models folder, like mine that is in the models/courier/gatuja

in fact its not the dota/models folder, but its the dota/materials/models folder

but they share the same hierarchy after the model folder, so just stick with the proper hierarchy and will work

hope that helps =]
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone knows a tutorial for compiling items without the built-in tool? Im trying to follow some guidelines I found in the internet but I can't seem to understand what to do exactly, Im tired of the built-in tool xD.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more amazing work...

@Timex - Too sick! If I had to give it one crit I would say cut back on the noise within the texture. It seems just a tad too realistic to fit into DOTA (Hard to tell from tiny screenshots though :poly142:)

@Taz - I love it and think it works extremely well for Bloodseeker. My one crit would be that the gouges and blood spatter seem a bit out of place. Try lessening their effect in the normal map to make them appear more like scratches, rather than giant gouges taken out of the weapon (I think it makes the weapon appear 'weak'), and I would also bring some color variation to the blood; check from reference for dried blood and you'll notice it actually has quite a bit of depth to the red tones.

@Tvidotto - Another awesome courier, can't wait to see the animations :thumbup:

@Lenny - Yes, there is a custom tiny skin (Glacial Tiny was added to the game files but I haven't actually played in months to see if it drops). If you just want to re-skin items I'm sure that's perfectly acceptable.

@Stefco - I really like the design and think it fits Leo really well. However I feel the proportions lend it to be more of a two-handed sword, rather than a large one-handed. I would shorten the grip and hilt and extend the blade by a bit.

@Dvonio - Cut back on the edge highlighting that's painted into your diffuse and let your spec map do the work. It just looks too broad and even, especially on the lower portion of the blade.

@Solution - It's great and I really dig the inlay work. Is that the color scheme you plan on using? It seems most people follow the same color scheme for painting their custom lances (which I find rather odd, but to each their own) and it probably wouldn't hurt to branch out and make more use of PL's color pallet.

@Roque - It's probably an issue with your spec map or mask textures; hard to say though without the files on hand.

Ok enough crits...time to go get some tacos and get this tut done.
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Solution wrote: »
    Worked on the lance further, got some texturing done - Any suggestions on improvements?
    As always, thanks :).

Solution, how far are you in the process of making the item? Visually I like the gold color of the blade, but I can't tell what the blade is supposed to be made of. Metal, or a rock shard? I can't tell. Also your wrapped handle looks very flat. This looks like it's in ZBrush, and if it is then you should really get some depth added onto your handle.

Add some shape variation to the hilt, right now it looks like you made the original shape and just extruded it out to make it thicker; add some tapering, like in the blade.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    hey guys

for people experiencing problems with transparent model in game its probably for the wrong path of the texture before exporting

some people asked for help with the same problem, so i think it worth sharing the solution

on maya just add a simple lambert with the vtm file as the diffuse map like this one
    Ob29C.jpg

the path is realative when you export the smd, so it dont matter where it its, but it NEED to be inside a path relative to the models folder, like mine that is in the models/courier/gatuja

in fact its not the dota/models folder, but its the dota/materials/models folder

but they share the same hierarchy after the model folder, so just stick with the proper hierarchy and will work

hope that helps =]

This is also true for those of you using 3D Studio Max.

Make sure your model has the same name as the file name you plan to use for the .mdl and that it also has a material that corresponds to the .vmt file.
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Roque - It's probably an issue with your spec map or mask textures; hard to say though without the files on hand.
    Thanks but I've been using a "standard" set of masks in all of my items because I'm still not sure of how they work.
    I made this masks with the basic instructions of what the masks "need" (mask one is completely black with a small grey dot in an unused part of the alpha and on mask two, the red and green channels are grey, the blue channel is black and the alpha is the same color as the official Dragon Knight textures.)
    What's weird is that the helmet and shoulder pads don't have this issue.
  • Solution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Mark.N
    The color palette there is basically what i intend to be using, I've always had the lingering idea in my head that the color palette shouldn't' be changed, though i have had the urge to change the color on the hilt and pommel, i just haven't been able to decide on a color yet.

@ Rik
    So far i've put about a few hours in throughout the week, modelling has been done to a certain degree and have started on texturing.
    The handle i plan on completely reworking because the topology is just atrocious -
    Ill try to add some further detail to reflect the blade to the hilt where possible, thanks for that :)

Thanks for the feedback :), suggestions are always welcome
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok enough crits...time to go get some tacos and get this tut done.tacos and get this tut done.

That last sentence made me soo happy xD
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been trying to import my model with the ingame importer just to see my item but the poly budget listed for witch doctor is 0 and when I try to import the item it fails and says I've exceeded the budget... dafuq?
  • Radiocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto

How did you test your model Ingame ? I have my Fbx file here but need to convert in mdl or ?
  • Stefco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco polycounter lvl 5
    tnx guys :D
    Rik wrote: »
    I like the idea and the sketch, but not the practicality of the skull placement. The amount of contact and the force of swinging the sword would shatter that skull reall quick, if it didn't fall off first.

What if you removed the skull and reshaped the top of the blade into a shape that resembles a skull? It should still sell the skeleton idea, be visually interesting and functional.

hmm yea ur right, but i think if i make the whole top part with a skull it will look a lot like a mace, maybe if i put some straps on the skull it will keep it from falling off and make it golden like some parts of his armor so it wont break?
    I like to have some points of interest, thats why i placed it there, also skeleton's original blade had a circular gap at the end of it, so i though it would look rly cool if there is a skull so i went with it :)
    @Stefco - I really like the design and think it fits Leo really well. However I feel the proportions lend it to be more of a two-handed sword, rather than a large one-handed. I would shorten the grip and hilt and extend the blade by a bit.

ty, well ye ill cut it a bit also im gonna compare it with his sword to fit the length.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just thought I would leave you all with a quick update on the particles situation before I head out for the evening.
    I've learned a lot over the past day and have nailed down how to write the proper .qc files, setting up bone structure and messed around with the editor a bit to become familiar with it. Anyone who has experience with UDK's Cascade editor should be able to learn the Source PET program without too much of an issue.

nGRqp.jpg

As you can see I have a fully working model with the proper attachments set up inside of the model viewer. On the right is my .qc file with the highlighted portions showing the code that's required to properly compile and link particle emitters to the item in question (Ignore the '//' at the beginning of the lines as they are only there to prevent errors until the particle system itself is complete.)

As for what's left to complete:
    -Create some fire materials to use in the system
    -Create the emitter itself
    -Link the two and find a proper way to display them
    -Write up the entire process for others to duplicate

As a side note, the art is all currently placeholder and for educational purposes only. When I return from my vacation next week I'll begin working on some proper artwork to create an item worthy of submission.
  • Kamaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamaki polycounter lvl 6
    Well I've just submitted my item for Phantom Lancer, was feeling a sort of traditional halberd look for him! The other day I also submitted some horns for Pugna, I wanted to make a mana ward for him but couldn't think of anything!

Click the images to see the storepage, they both have videos of the items in game.

1B6FEB7EA4DE353E8C277B31ECCA01220E7E1F8C
    8D127BD34254149828D783588F85687FBDB9E3F2

Does anyone else wish Valve would let you pan around in the in game compiler viewport thingy? Sure would help me get a nice view of the items.
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, wanted to share my latest submission.

Essence Collector for Outworld Destroyer

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=91538220

D3831F6A201FDC70052ED9F1DDB81497FA0EA960
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    accidentally double posted :/, looking for how to delete this.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Radiocity wrote: »
    @Tvidotto

How did you test your model Ingame ? I have my Fbx file here but need to convert in mdl or ?

Hey man!
    Im on the phone so i will resume. Later i can explain better

I exported my model from maya using the smd exporter that comes with SFM
    Converted the textures to vtf file and created the vtm file using vtfedit program
    Compiled the smd files using a .qc file and the guistudio program
    Then replaced the files created on the dota 2 test client
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just thought I would leave you all with a quick update on the particles situation before I head out for the evening.
    I've learned a lot over the past day and have nailed down how to write the proper .qc files, setting up bone structure and messed around with the editor a bit to become familiar with it. Anyone who has experience with UDK's Cascade editor should be able to learn the Source PET program without too much of an issue.

nGRqp.jpg

As you can see I have a fully working model with the proper attachments set up inside of the model viewer. On the right is my .qc file with the highlighted portions showing the code that's required to properly compile and link particle emitters to the item in question (Ignore the '//' at the beginning of the lines as they are only there to prevent errors until the particle system itself is complete.)

As for what's left to complete:
    -Create some fire materials to use in the system
    -Create the emitter itself
    -Link the two and find a proper way to display them
    -Write up the entire process for others to duplicate

As a side note, the art is all currently placeholder and for educational purposes only. When I return from my vacation next week I'll begin working on some proper artwork to create an item worthy of submission.
    Awesome man, now makes a lot more sense to me how to set the particles :)
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamaki: I am waiting for zoom and portrait view test. They will add these stuff but you know, it is just in beta right now.

With the help of Tvidotto and one guy from facepunch I managed to test my item in the game!!! Thanks guys very much. The model is pretty average but for me this is really big step and nice experience because I tried to get it into the game since the start of holidays. I almost lost my mind trying it. :)
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=90917096

The problem was the name of the texture in 3dsmax and bad paths + missing stuff in QC file.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feracon wrote: »
    Hey guys, wanted to share my latest submission.

Essence Collector for Outworld Destroyer

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=91538220

D3831F6A201FDC70052ED9F1DDB81497FA0EA960

Feracon, did you have any difficulty with the OD skeleton? I've had nothing but trouble with it (ranging from "missing joint" to "bones not included")

Sidenote: I love the simplicity of it, great job!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArchoX wrote: »
    Kamaki: I am waiting for zoom and portrait view test. They will add these stuff but you know, it is just in beta right now.

With the help of Tvidotto and one guy from facepunch I managed to test my item in the game!!! Thanks guys very much. The model is pretty average but for me this is really big step and nice experience because I tried to get it into the game since the start of holidays. I almost lost my mind trying it. :)
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=90917096

The problem was the name of the texture in 3dsmax and bad paths + missing stuff in QC file.

i am really glad that could help

24 tris is insane, great work =]
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Well i'm almost done with my PA set going to start texturing later today. C&C would be nice.
    fullsd.jpg
  • Guidance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chen_helm_wip.jpg

Started a Chen helm and figured Id give the workshop a go. A lot of work on the diffuse to go but other than that I can call it good. I'm open for critiques of course.

Also I just tried testing out what I have so far and keep running into this error which also prevents the importer from recognizing the bones in my model. I tried searching for the answer and unfortunately wasn't able to fix it with the solutions I found.

ERROR:
    [Warning: BindPose - Incomplete BindPose [nodes parents] ()
    [Warning: Skin Modifiers Import(0)]

Description:
    The following parent and/or ancestor node(s) is/are not part of the BindPose definition.
    - head1

- Tried both smd and fbx format (fail)
    - All weights are set properly and it is binded to the head1 bone
    - Tried all fbx file formats (2006 -2012) just to see if it would magically fix it.

I'm pretty sure its a 9/10 chance that its an easy fix but I have close to 0 experience messing around with rigs or exporting to external programs/engine.
  • HolyPepsi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just registered to thank for the help from this community.
    I just finished my first item
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=91617986

Feel free to vote or leave a comment.

took me 40 hrs to get the texture to the way i wanted...
    43829AFFABDC418CEFD99BA4E8DD30417C557BF0
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guidance wrote: »

ERROR:
    [Warning: BindPose - Incomplete BindPose [nodes parents] ()
    [Warning: Skin Modifiers Import(0)]

Description:
    The following parent and/or ancestor node(s) is/are not part of the BindPose definition.
    - head1

- Tried both smd and fbx format (fail)
    - All weights are set properly and it is binded to the head1 bone
    - Tried all fbx file formats (2006 -2012) just to see if it would magically fix it.

I'm pretty sure its a 9/10 chance that its an easy fix but I have close to 0 experience messing around with rigs or exporting to external programs/engine.
    SMD usually works better for me than FBX. I never encountered that problem and if it's properly bound to that bone then I don't know what to say.

If I were you I would remove the mask. It has too much of a bounty hunter feel.