Home General Discussion

DAY Z : Mod for ARMA II (Zombie Apocalypse Survivalist FPS/RPG)

Replies

• Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    You didn't happen to play on any of the Norway servers did you ? ^^ Because a couple of days ago I had a shootout with a guy in a church. :P! Got me a nice ALICE-bag =P

Son of a...!

No :P Atleast I don't think so. There was no shoot out. It was basically me, inside the church, looking down at an empty water bottle trying my best to figure out the inventory screen to be able to put it in my backpack, and then I think I got shotgunned in the back of the head. A one shot kill :(

The messed up thing about it was the dude that I passed the dude that killed me. Him and his buddy. They must have followed me in and did the dastardly deed.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I need to find and play along side Dr. Kimble! Just like an Arnie movie.

"I BROKE MY BONES". lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgKIeKavdkI"]Sixteen minutes of unedited Day Z with Famine and Dr. Kimble - YouTube[/ame]
  • Ace-Angel
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would shy away from disconnecting, guys. Not only is it cheap but it also ruins the atmosphere of the game and it's considered an exploit. The mod team is currently working on ways to combat it.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Yesterday I had a 30-40 minute battle with a lot of people around NE airport, me and 3 friends arrived to see what kind of loot we would be able to find, we split into 2 groups. me as a sniper and another guy sat back while 2 crawled forward through the hordes of zombies. When my friend sees two snipers looking directly at our guys in the front accross the airfield. We open fire. Little did we know that in the next half hour we would battle around 8 enemy players and I have never had my heart race like it did at times ever in a video game before. I got flanked, but spotted by one of us so i could take him out, we flanked a couple of them/success, I ran into a trap, but killed the guy. We took 2 loses but in the circumstances im really happy about how it turned out. Im alive now for 3 weeks with my character ^^

Man this game!
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated and now can't even play the game runs like butt can't even get passed the loading screen. :( I normally play on highest settings too.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Just found me some Mountain Dew! Not sure what to do with it though. Apparently I'm meant to go on a Quest.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLee wrote: »
    I would shy away from disconnecting, guys. Not only is it cheap but it also ruins the atmosphere of the game and it's considered an exploit. The mod team is currently working on ways to combat it.
    Yep! Pretty much arrived at that in one of my posts (Here) :)
    Stinger88 wrote: »

"I BROKE MY BONES". lol

Sixteen minutes of unedited Day Z with Famine and Dr. Kimble - YouTube

This is hilarious!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18

LOL
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Updated and now can't even play the game runs like butt can't even get passed the loading screen. :( I normally play on highest settings too.

Yeh seems like that is happening to a lot of players after the patch. So hopefully Rocket will fix it for ya!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Formed up with another player I made contact with ingame this morning. Now have an Enfield, a watch and a compass and we were making our way from Cherno to the right airstrip. Then I realised I needed to get some work done and had to leave him.

The difference in this game from playing solo, to having someone else with you, really makes the game shine.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    I recently found a friend in the game.... he basically dragged me around while I was dieing for 3 hours. This game is a ton of fun but all of my friends on steam don't have this game and I would like to get some Co-op going. If you don't mind dragging around a nOOb like me send me a PM with your steam name.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    All you need to go north is the spawning gear and some more water - if you're careful. You can get the rest from deer hides and visiting the right small villages well away from the bustle of cherno or elektro. At near full pace, you can cross the map within 2 hours. I would recommend exploring the map, don't get too hung up on keeping your gear unless you have either NVG or a really badass gun DMR/m249. All of the best loot is in the north. I found a silenced mp5 yesterday on NW airfield, and it is a stealthy zombie killer. Maybe this weekend we'll go hunting for a downed heli.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I don't have Arma 2/DayZ yet (c'moooooon steam sale), but man I hope they have it for Arma 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mIwfS8uJJIk
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Game keeps warping me to the beach when I log in. I keep finding nice places to hole up with water, shelter, etc. And then I load up the next day and I'm knee deep in the ocean :(
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just had a go at using a better Steam launch option then just "-mod=@DayZ", so that it'll use the newer OA build (Found here) - If I only use the "-mod=@DayZ", it limits my selection of servers to 1.6, and not anything >1.6 as most of the servers tend to be.

I've got a launcher away from Steam that'll load it up fine, and allow me to use pretty much any server, but then I don't get to use the Steam Overlay.

Have any of you guys managed to figure this out so it'll run on Steam with the newest OA patch?
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Glynn, use the 3rd party app SixUpdater. It's been around long before DayZ and is typically what most Arma2 players use to ensure compatibility with whatever slew of mods they're using.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ran West for over 20 minutes to save a friend running East with a massive zombie hoard chasing him:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1trl5vGxgHc"]Day Z: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Diaries | Day 5: Saving Joel from the Zombie Horde - YouTube[/ame]
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Just got this, so looking forward to it!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly wrote: »
    Glynn, use the 3rd party app SixUpdater. It's been around long before DayZ and is typically what most Arma2 players use to ensure compatibility with whatever slew of mods they're using.

It both looks a bit too much for what I really need, and it doesn't look like it does everything I want. I think I'll just have to stick with Steam for now.

In other news, I'm going to just kill any human I come across that I don't know to be in my contact list from now on - Three times I've just started getting some good kit, and I lose it all because I give someone the benefit of the doubt.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    In other news, I'm going to just kill any human I come across that I don't know to be in my contact list from now on - Three times I've just started getting some good kit, and I lose it all because I give someone the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sorry to say this but... I to shall be killing anyone that gets too close to me. I spend ages collecting things only to be shot in the back. I think everyone will become Murderers eventually.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I lose it all because I give someone the benefit of the doubt.

Yup, I am now a bandit, I was running around electro I think and all i saw was bodies of players and zombies it was a war zone I made it to the church and had to log but wow that was exciting.
    Before that a "friendly bandit"? they actually exist crazy... anyway just asked who was that shooting at 'such and such' and I said me and told him if he could help It don't shoot. He let me live though i did die in the same town it was awesome to just be able to enjoy myself. Then when I died i told him what I had and if he wanted obviously he could take the items.

But changed my name (found some other HitZ, guy) let him have it and started killing everything I saw, screw it I am a friend to those that I know, since I know no one in game, seems everyone is on the hit list. :poly136:

Unless people actually want to team up, I will ask in the forums over there, I want to see how much fun It is, cause it's not to boring but boring alone.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, going through some of this older footage, I made some really stupid mistakes, haha. Remember kids: If you shoot in a town in the dead of night, you're gonna have a bad time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiL2FFBl8gE"]Day Z: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Diaries | Day 6: Night Raids - YouTube[/ame]
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Not playing this anymore lol soooo glitched.... me and my friend finally found each other , had to find multiple servers that weren't glitching, and to go to one that randomly dropped everyone and died (literally everyone in the server randomly died) lost everything... no more....no more... lol
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny wrote: »
    Not playing this anymore lol soooo glitched.... me and my friend finally found each other , had to find multiple servers that weren't glitching, and to go to one that randomly dropped everyone and died (literally everyone in the server randomly died) lost everything... no more....no more... lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_release#Alpha
  • Xenobond
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Ya... I know its a alpha, but the randomly dieing and losing everything kinda pissed me off...?
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny wrote: »
    Ya... I know its a alpha, but the randomly dieing and losing everything kinda pissed me off...?

You know it's in alpha, yet you state it being "soooo glitched" as the reason for not wanting to play it any more.

That's a bit of an oxymoron.

There's no surprise that parts of it are rough around the edges, broken, or even completely missing - It's in alpha. Your expectations are unrealistic.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know it's in alpha, yet you state it being "soooo glitched" as the reason for not wanting to play it any more.

That's a bit of an oxymoron.

There's no surprise that parts of it are rough around the edges, broken, or even completely missing - It's in alpha. Your expectations are unrealistic.

Did I say my expectations? I just said it's so glitched I don't know what's wrong with just saying its soo glitched... saying lol multiple times in my "rant" didn't give anything away to you? read carefully "randomly dropped everyone and died (literally everyone in the server randomly died) lost everything... no more....no more... lol" maybe that's why? take it easy guy.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you're not going to stop playing? Or you are, but you're unhinged and laughing out loud randomly? I don't get it.

Either way, it's your choice. Just wanted you to make an informed decision. It's in alpha. It'll have bugs.

lol.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you're not going to stop playing? Or you are, but you're unhinged and laughing out loud randomly? I don't get it.

Either way, it's your choice. Just wanted you to make an informed decision. It's in alpha. It'll have bugs.

lol.

Are you a paid spokesperson? lol I didn't know I needed to make a decision...not life and death.

No, i'll play again I wasn't really serious saying I'm done playing it... that's why I said lol ..showing that I wasn't really serious. Yeah I know it's in the alpha phase I've been playing it since 1.1.

edit: there ya go
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Please don't bold and underline "lol", it makes it look like you completely missed his point and just found the internet today.

Also Glynn, how much are you being paid for stating these facts, I want in on that shit.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Jeezy peets. Everyone needs to dip their nuts in some sour cream and cool down.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Wowzers, for once, it wasn't me who started a flame passion in a thread...GO ME!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My posts here haven't really been anything to do with the game. They've been more focussed on someone complaining about glitches in a game, when the game is in alpha, then using the lol clause which makes their initial post completely redundant and irrelevant.

I don't care if he plays, doesn't play, covers himself in mayonnaise whilst pressing his face up against his monitor whilst he plays. I do care about someone posting seemingly misunderstood "rants" about something they should know better about. Now, after having these back and forths with him, I think that AAJohnny wanted to vent about the server fucking up his progress, which is maddening, but I still think his initial post sounds confusing and misunderstanding. Hence me - admittedly harshly - posting.

And there it is. I think that wraps it up. After 2 replies it's gone on far enough, let alone how ever many posts it's now been.

AAJohnny - If you still want to talk further, send me a PM and we can sort it out there. Just please don't cover yourself in mayonnaise and press your face up against the screen whilst you do it, eh?

BOOM. End of derailment. Normal service will now resume.
  • Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really tempted to buy Arma right now for this.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    I've survived 4 days so far, 100 some odd zombie kills.. I'm wandering around the Airfield.

I killed an innocent man.. He didn't deserve it, I was deaf and saw someone run into my barn, got scared and shot him a few times..
    He ran outside to hide in the woods away from me, I was afraid for both of our lives, I thought he would want to come back and hunt me down.. So I had no choice, I was forced to finish the job.

He had a map and a compass though, woo! :)
    This mod is well deserved of the praise, it has some glitches and problems at times, but it'll get ironed up eventually.

I also have a tent city up North on a few servers, watch your step.. People are watching you, always.. They just want to protect their precious loot.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Rai wrote: »
    I've survived 4 days so far, 100 some odd zombie kills..

Don't worry about zombies or bandits. Its Ladders and other bugs that will do you in eventually. Still a great game though, even in alpha.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Don't worry about zombies or bandits. Its Ladders and other bugs that will do you in eventually. Still a great game though, even in alpha.

Oh, I've died several times previously to those bugs.. I'm avoiding ladders, closing doors, water, small heights and other random bugs.

I almost killed a friend of mine due to a bug while Tabbing back into the game, the gun would fire once I tabbed back in at random, but this time.. It kept shooting and wouldn't stop, before I realized what had happened, I was already aiming towards my friend and crippled him. (Shoots were 5 sec intervals)

He had to crawl for 45 minutes back to our tent city. (I didn't know where it was at the time. Tried finding it, but failed.. 'Tis well hidden.)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    They fixed the ladders a few patches ago. I haven't been fucked by one since then.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bah! Got the code file bug that either leaves me hanging on the loading screen if I'm up to date, or it messes up my mousewheel scrolling (so I can't pick up backpacks), reloading with the R key if I roll back.

Just got an MP5 SD from Balota airfield, and am going back and forth from there to the field hospital across the road, trying to get a bit more ammo before I bugger off up north again. Very nice having a fully capable silenced weapon. Seems to have kind of OK range on it, too. Atleast long enough to keep out of range of zombies finding me.

I'm also going on servers with few people on. It's a lot easier knowing there's less chance of bumping into someone that'll panic when they hear footsteps and shoot me on sight :P
    Rai wrote: »
    I almost killed a friend of mine due to a bug while Tabbing back into the game, the gun would fire once I tabbed back in at random, but this time.. It kept shooting and wouldn't stop, before I realized what had happened, I was already aiming towards my friend and crippled him. (Shoots were 5 sec intervals)
    If you get back into the game via alt+tabbing again, it shouldn't fire. Alternatively, jump into your gear menu, or the ESC menu before you alt tab out of the game, and it should be cool again :)
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Infiltrated Cherno out of desperation. I was starving, low on blood, and the world had faded to dim shades of black and white some hours ago. My screen was shaking like a five dollar whore on a vibrating bed, leaving it impossible to make shots I needed to make.

When it came down to the brass tax, I was chased by half a dozen zombies into a small home. As I entered, I noticed another player prone on the floor in the corner. I realized how well equipped he was when he began firing at me. By sheer luck, my first shot struck him in the head, giving me the time I needed to kill the zombies following me. The house was empty, but his corpse left me with the supplies I needed to fight my way back out of Cherno.

I had only seen players once or twice in all my hours of playing. I had never killed someone else till that guy in the house. I felt bad, but at least I was alive to feel something.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    IVE WATCHED THESE VIDEOS AND THIS IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZZZZIZINNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG I wanna play really bad :( lol
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    They fixed the ladders a few patches ago. I haven't been fucked by one since then.

Oh. The bug is still in there. If you arent looking and pressing straight forward when you reach the top of a ladder you can still fall. Happened to me the other day. The bug is a lot less likely to happen now though.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap, take care, the spawn rate of canned food has been reduced significantly, I died of hunger (went from just under 11000) looking for a tin... not one to be found in a town with supermarket, church, office, shedthing and various houses!! Ffff, annoying, to say the least. I got extremely lucky in that I spawned conveniently directly south, and the server didn't fall over, so got all my gear back, bar the camo outfit.

That said would like to pass on 5 mags of AKM rounds, if anyone wants 'em, rather than dump them (I'm still running 1.6.0.1).

Bowling around with an M4A1, can't get used to the sight on it, but the SD ammo sure is handy.

Green Mountain (east of Zelenogorsk)has one military building (with the 'outside' spawn) that is worth checking out if you roam the west there, not many visitors and not marked on any map I've seen.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap, take care, the spawn rate of canned food has been reduced significantly, I died of hunger (went from just under 11000) looking for a tin...

I thought I noticed this. It'd been a while since I'd found canned food, so I resorted to doing more hunting, and found myself a sheep. Found out myself that you can cook the raw meat you harvest from them with the barrel fires in and around settlements and cities, if you don't have matches and firewood :)

The great thing is the meat steaks you get from cooking any raw meat gives you 600 blood. A sheep gives you 3 steaks, and I think a cow gives you either 4 or 6 (I can't remember exactly).
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    So, really tempted right now, is it worth the €25? Having some serious trouble deciding, I mean it's not that expensive but it's still €25...
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I updated to 1.7 this morning. Didn't really notice a drop in canned food spawns tbh. Found plenty in Vybor store and 3 story building there.

I'd say its worth 25euros. But then I've played more than 80hrs so far.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    The game is still quite buggy, only part with the moolah if you can deal with the alphaness. You might spend 20+ minutes trying to find a decent server, you may lose all the equipment that you'd spent however long collecting due to a bug. When the game works it's great, but it can be frustrating at times.