Home General Discussion

DAY Z : Mod for ARMA II (Zombie Apocalypse Survivalist FPS/RPG)

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Dang download site crashed or something from all of the downloads again.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Gawd I've never been so inspired to create a character around the influence of this mod. I just logged into a DE server where I was holed up in the supermarket at Zelenogorsk and the place was awash in zombie bodies. There was an easy dozen. I couldn't help think about the guy (or girl) who, desperate for food and drink, ran in, made a last stand and came out victorious. Even picked up a czech bag and some other needed goodies.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    btw. You will need to update all the .zip files not just the outdated ones. I found I couldn't eat or drink until I updated everything.

First impressions of the new Inventory system: I don't like it. Eating and drinking takes more actions. Filling a water bottle takes ages. I prefered the auto updating menu thing in the previous builds. One good thing about it is that I can now choose to drink a soda rather than drinking a canteen.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    * [NEW] Zombie's will investigate player deaths

What does that mean, exactly?

And also, does the guy deliberately want to sound like some sort of 12-year-old in the patch notes?
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish I hadnt just updated...most of the easier servers to get on are still on 157
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    Craft4D wrote: »
    ruthless and doesn't give a flying goat about what people think.
    he sure is a one-man development studio/publisher!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    1.5.8.2 wow I have bandages but can't use them and I'm about to die... awesome.

The place was called kozlovka were I had all that loot here's a Screen shot.

I'm going to try to go back into a game, I hope I didn't die... cause dying like that is pretty dumb.

It's like the re spawn thing he did, now you have to die?:poly117:
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JeremyRM polycounter lvl 8
    God I want to play but I already wasted my weekend. I haven't had this much with a game in a long time. I think if I hadn't just lost everything after my trigger happy friend opened fire on a group with superior numbers I would, haha.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    @Sinz !
    " TO INTERACT WITH MOST ITEMS: YOU NOW NEED TO OPEN GEAR MENU (G) THEN RIGHT CLICK ON THE ITEM! SUCH AS BANDAGING AND EATING AND SHIT "

http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4904

=P
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    you have not been following him have you. The dude is ruthless and doesn't give a flying goat about what people think.

Hahahahah good!! crazy one man game show I salute you !

whats going to happen if he gets bored and pulls the plug?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    arma 2 is back at the top of steams top sellers lol
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea ended up using It but dieing anyway.
    Dislike the update, zombies can run through buildings now, It takes more hits to down them and I think you slow down and can no longer back peddle to kill all the zombies chasing you without getting hit, great.

I think they do stop chasing you after a while though, not sure. Hurdled a fence and one stopped and turned around, the other one figured out the fence opening and kept coming, odd.

Their is a guy named boog exploiting everything and killing people without dieing I think, great fun.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bet Bohemia didn't even give him a bonus for all the money he made them.

So I'm feeling like I'm done with this game for awhile. Made it all the way to the gate at Green mountain. Alot of bodies out front...then a Bandit came running out saw me, took a shot and missed at 5 feet away. I was prone, spun around shot and missed, he took careful aim and put me to sleep.

That was a lot of belly crawling for an unceremonious death.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally met up with a coworker last week and continued my survival video diary. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib2jS6vkR9k"]Day Z: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Diaries | Day 3: The Meet Up - YouTube[/ame]
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    you have not been following him have you. The dude is ruthless and doesn't give a flying goat about what people think.
    That doesn't make sense, we're talking about something silly like 'Zombies will investigate', not how much damage you do with a rifle and avoid telling the peeps so they don't complain about it, kinda like what the peeps of BF do.

Does he mean zombies will pickup items from a dead corpse? So you can't beeline for your body and run away later on and have to kill them?

Or do zombies wear glasses and set up a crime scene, and try to figure out how you died, and if it's a bandit, they will chase the bandit and bring them to NOM-Court of Undead?

It honestly sounds like someone who doesn't know English is using Google translate, which I know isn't he case, but honestly feels like it with every patch note.

Maybe if spent less time trying to come up with 'creative' ways to describe something, and spent more time making sure his latest patch didn't turn every zombie into Neo...
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Hmmm. Starting to think the Catch a cold system could get tedious for my style of gameplay atm.

I think the fact that catching colds and coughing attracting zeds is a nice touch but...

I was just on a server and it started raining. My temp starts dropping and in about 30mins my temp dropped from 100 to 40. Lower than 25 and you catch cold. To warm up I either have to sit in a building until the rain stops or use firewood and make a fire, then sit by it for about 5 mins.

I totally understand that this game is going for realism and I want realism myself but being forced to sit idling until rain stops doesn't make a very exciting game. I think people will leave rainy servers when there temp gets low.

Suggested Solution. They need to add axes (goes in lower slots, infinite use) which you can collect wood with. Also sitting around a fire needs to warm you up quicker.

Clothing, water proofs and thermal underwear would be a nice addition as well. Like an armour system but against the elements.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally understand that this game is going for realism and I want realism myself but being forced to sit idling until rain stops doesn't make a very exciting game. I think people will leave rainy servers when there temp gets low.

This isn't a game to him It's an experiment, probably a social one.
    So It's meant to be hard and not play like a game, his words I think they are in the release notes or on the forums.

I used to like when It rained...
    The dude will also permaban you for life on every DayZ server ever for cheating. It is only Alpha and he has miles worth of names of people that he refuses to allow to play ever again.

Well that's a good thing, people cheating will just ruin the game all together and I've run into a few of those people or servers with those people, I wonder if they are the same people that exploited the game earlier in other builds, that discussion is also on their forums.

& lol Ace-Angle, neo zombie, they do walk through buildings now. :)

Also having a lot more fun being silly and running through cities dodging all the zeds finding clips and at some points knocking a few down to start another running journey, I had 40 zeds at one point and then the server crashed so i.d.k if me running with 40 zeds behind me took down that server but I was l.m.f.a.o the whole time, with no ammo looking for newly spawned people or better yet a bandit or two. :)

Great fun!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I don't think bandits are trolls. I don't think Day-Z's goal was ever to be a co-op, easy game.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    douchey patch notes have lowered my respect-o-meter
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I was commenting on what Aivanov said about him sounding like a 12 year old. Which I assumed was in response to reading the patch notes

[FIXED] Whinny is way to powerful and quiet(mmmm your tears will be delicious)
    [FIXED?] Too many zombies for the Carebears to be able to play

The dude will also permaban you for life on every DayZ server ever for cheating. It is only Alpha and he has miles worth of names of people that he refuses to allow to play ever again.
    Oops, sorry, didn't mean to pry on your comment, just used it as a piggy-back ride if you know what I mean.
    douchey patch notes have lowered my respect-o-meter
    Yep, one of the issues I currently have with the mod. I understand it's a mod, and as the author you can have fun with your stuff, but he seems to go out of his way to either insult people in a sarcastic way (which doesn't sound too good in text form), make things as unreadable as possible or force you to accept stuff as it is.

OT: Anyway, the Cold-O-Meter is out of this world, I like the idea, but it's outright debilitating. I mean I had Pneumonia as a kid, which was pretty bad, and know what it feels like to cough while you try to make it stop, but we're talking about catching a cold here! Not being a small kid and having to be rushed to the hospital for everything that is holy!

You know what bothers me the most? Catching the cold is done under 30 seconds in terms of realism, yet we have to hide from the rain or sit next to the fire for 10 hours? (Hyperbole FTW) I mean you either make them both 'gamey' or not, again, seems like the author doing all he can to always handicap the player.

I guess you have to respect the guy for his madman attitude...or madwoman if they're a girl.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah. I just caught a cold in game. I thought that you had to be lower than 25 to catch one. turns out its less than 50.

So, As I tend to play up in the NW of the map I have to run for about 1-2 hours to get to the coast, because all the hospitals are there. I get out side of a town with a hospital in it and log out for an hour before I attempt to get into the town.

When I restart my character instantly dies!...wtf...

Then when I restart again. I notice I have 2 zombie kills. Ok, a bug I tell myself. I run off into the hills as normal. Log off again to test logging in again. Die instantly.... again.

So this time I restart my character has 87 zed kills and 1 murder. Each time I play different numbers but usually a bandit.

I think some how i'm using other people characters. And every time I restart the game I become a new character.... Will have to look for a fix.

Anyhoo, back to the cold system. I posted a suggestion on the DayZ forums about it. Have a butchers and leave a comment so it might get noticed. Ta

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5760

EDIT: seems a few people are having the same issue. Possible problem suggested is the main server is corrupting new spawns with other players.

I SUGGEST YOU DON'T LOG IN TILL PROBLEM IS RESOLVED if you dont wish to risk losing your character.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6111

Also noticed a Hotfix has been posted. 1.5.8.3 but no fixes related to above issue.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    DO NOT DIE!

Hotfix on the way for respawn bug http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6111

"Currently we can't create new characters. We hit 1 million so your new characters can't be created. Will be resolved in next hour."
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Heads up Hotfix 1.5.8.4

The above issue is apparently fixed.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Been watching this mod for a bit, now. Got some spare time coming up so I'm finally getting it installed.

Any UK/Europe players fancy forming up?
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Been watching this mod for a bit, now. Got some spare time coming up so I'm finally getting it installed.

Any UK/Europe players fancy forming up?

Sure dude. I should be on steam as: nick gunn
    Will probably be on this game again tonight or this weekend. Hit me up.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    This is very cool. Raiding by helicopter.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxbrFa3dPqk"]NWA DayZ helicopter raid - YouTube[/ame]
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori wrote: »
    Sure dude. I should be on steam as: nick gunn
    Will probably be on this game again tonight or this weekend. Hit me up.

Done, sir! Look out for the guy with the underscores in his username ;)
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I want a chopper sooooo bad. I've been practicing in scenario mode with my joystick.

I also finally got the video up of our first survivor encounter:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0LNQDYkNo4"]Day Z: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Diaries | Day 4: Night Survivor Encounter - YouTube[/ame]
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    New patch is out. Bandit population doubled (10k+), now 10%+ of the total population. Weeee.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Cool. New patch has Hatchets. I was hoping he'd put this in.

http://cdn.armafiles.info/

UPDATE : 27 MAY 2012

Affected addons:
    * dayz_code 1.6
    * dayz_equip 1.2.5
    * dayz_weapons 1.1.2
    * dayz 1.2.6
    * dayz_sfx 1.1.2

Developer's Note:
    * To collect firewood, you can either find it in loot piles, or go into a forest and use the hatchet (gear > Right Click). I will expand this mechanic but its enough for now.
    * You get a ONE TIME OFFER to change your player gender!
    * Only two types of new skins are available in this update, "Camo" and "Ghillie Suit" in addition to normal survivor
    * Skins a player is wearing are NOT lootable.
    * When you change skin (right click on clothing package in inventory) your old skin will appear in inventory
    * If you want a players skin, you will need to make them take it off first

Changelog:
    * [FIXED] Bodies being deleted immediately (now will stay around for 15 minutes)
    * [FIXED] Player profiles sometimes corrupting and causing stuck in loading issues (error handling by engine)
    * [FIXED] Temperature listed in percent and not degrees (now displayed in degrees)
    * [FIXED] Loosing temperature inside vehicles (now will slowly gain or be static in vehicles)
    * [FIXED] ItemPainkillers popup error (no longer happens: thanks Norbert!)
    * [FIXED] Spawning in Ocean when switching models (player morphing optimized by TeeTime)
    * [FIXED] Loosing gear when switching models (player morphing optimized by TeeTime)
    * [FIXED] Wrong M107 is spawning on occasion (Correct one spawns)
    * [FIXED] Crashed heli uber-loot not spawning (does now thanks to GhostBear!)
    * [FIXED] Wire Fencing Kit caused graphical glitches (new model)
    * [FIXED] Tank Trap Kit caused graphical glitches (new model)
    * [FIXED] Invisible character models occuring (No longer invisible models)
    * [FIXED] Panic not being activated (Your character will sometimes panic)
    * [FIXED] Blood washout sometimes not being displayed (now will always wash out color depending on blood level)
    * [NEW] Hatchet for chopping wood in forests
    * [NEW] Wire Fencing kit model by Artyom Troshin
    * [NEW] Tank Trap kit model by Artyom Troshin
    * [NEW] Construction options moved to items in gear menu (right click wire fencing kit to use etc...)
    * [NEW] Hospital Loot Spawn probabilities changed
    * [NEW] Players can choose to be a female survivor (once only per CD-Key)
    * [NEW] Heat packs for increasing temperature in an emergency
    * [NEW] Bandit Skin transition for low humanity is removed
    * [NEW] Players will receive an error message if the server they are on is running an incorrect HIVE version
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea and that's why guys pick female models, isn't that kind of gay. I mean really It's meant for actually females not guys that want to try to cheat the system with a smaller hit box. Should be the same hit box for every model in every game so "guys" don't do pick chick models unless they want to be girls, for some reason not to gain an advantage in a game.

Just irks me.

New updates sound great otherwise, can't wait to try them out.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    ^^ I pick female models in games. I'm not gay and I don't want to be a girl.

Have you ever thought that maybe men like to look at a female character models and listen to a female voice rather than a muscle bound alpha male. Just sayin...
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    So it's a choice between fake orgasms or constipations?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    If the game is 3th perspective and there is no RP dating in the game (always feel weird trying to get that perk, while woeing a guy), I usually play as a girl. If I have to look at someones backside for hours on, I do prefer something I like to watch. ;)

But else I'm always playing a guy, just easier for me to immense myself in the character then.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was killed by a fuckface in the Cherno church after finding and filling an Alice pack with supplies, and bagging myself a Remington shotgun (the first primary weapon I've had so far - that I didn't get to use :\), and responding to their stinking distress call.

Haven't managed to find anyone to group up with yet. I think that's probably going to be where the strength of this game is. ATM, I'm really not looking forward to traipsing along the railway tracks, to find a settlement big enough to loot, and build myself up again.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Glynn, the coast is a deathtrap, Head north and tool up at the NW airfield, or raid a whole bunch of deer stands. The NE airfield has some hangers too, found a combat shotgun and an mp5 up there. We're currently camped out with a tent to hold our hear, about to raid the airfield again for supplies to give to our friends.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh. I was under the impression that moving north is difficult when you're understocked with both supplies and weapons.

That, and it seams a bloody long way up there!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    ^^ I pick female models in games. I'm not gay and I don't want to be a girl.

Have you ever thought that maybe men like to look at a female character models and listen to a female voice rather than a muscle bound alpha male. Just sayin...

My complaint was only really about the hit box advantage, otherwise idc.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh. I was under the impression that moving north is difficult when you're understocked with both supplies and weapons.

That, and it seams a bloody long way up there!

Yar, that's why I haven't been able to go up there yet. I would guess it would take about 2 or 3 hours to run up there. Most of the time I play with one of my friends though and we can nearly always get enough gear and be sneaky enough to protect ourselves along the coast towns.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I would guess it would take about 2 or 3 hours to run up there.

I died in Vybor (below NW airport) the other day. Had a bunch of good stuff so I decided to see if I could run there and get it back. I spawned East of Electro (probably the furthest point I could possibly be) so I ran diagonally across 3/4 of the map. Took about 1hr ish. Body was gone though...but the flies still lingered. I just discovered that a body last 15mins now though.

Vybor is good shopping though so it didn't take long to get my stuff back.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So. I might have a bit just exploited a bit of a cheaty way of playing.

Basically, if you want to go somewhere inland, you just run. Zombies will amass behind you in a conga line, but they can never catch you, as when they attack you they stop, and miss.

When you reach your destination, you find obstacles like trees, power line poles, ground structures to slow them down and get a bit of space between you and your Benny Hill-like hoard, and you just disconnect from the server. Then reconnect again.

You can do this to survive a messed up attempt at sneaking past or shooting a zombie, too, if it alerts them or any close-by deadites.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Basically, if you want to go somewhere inland, you just run. Zombies will amass behind you in a conga line, but they can never catch you, as when they attack you they stop, and miss.

When you reach your destination, you find obstacles like trees, power line poles, ground structures to slow them down and get a bit of space between you and your Benny Hill-like hoard, and you just disconnect from the server. Then reconnect again.

You can do this to survive a messed up attempt at sneaking past or shooting a zombie, too, if it alerts them or any close-by deadites.

Yup. I end up doing that quite a bit. It also works out if someone shoots at you from an unknown location and you weren't hit. Just log out and if you feel safe log back in a few minutes later and if not just switch servers.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Well, it's equally bad so very uncheaty :P

You'll be this giant zombie-beacon for bandits for miles, you'll be starving, you'll end up in the middle of nowhere long from your intended target of bountyfull loot, and all in all you'll waste 20 minutes.

But depending on what you're carrying everything is always preferably to zombie death.

There aren't any zombies in the wilds though, so running without the horde is perfectly and fully viable.

edit: oh disconnect, yeah, that's the target of many a exploits.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was on the top of the Town Hall in Cherno earlier with a friend and after a while a sniper started shooting at us. We both went prone but he was still hitting us somehow. I guess he was in the industrial section up high. He killed me and got my friend down to 1000 blood when he logged out. I was a dingle and didn't log out when we heard the first shot at us. I thought I had lost my Alice pack full of meds and food and my AK with 6 magazines. Fortunately when I logged back in it lagged back a few minutes and I was on the roof with full health and all of my items still. What a luck stick.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    There aren't any zombies in the wilds though, so running without the horde is perfectly and fully viable.

Ah, but there are a bunch of smaller settlements that're usually hidden behind sharp verges that I happen upon, and even the deer hunting huts that'll have zombies peppered around.

Generally, when I used the exploit, I'd try to figure out where I wanted to go, and then just make a b-line straight for it, standing up, full sprint. And I'd keep with me a bandage, painkillers, food and water, just incase I need it when I stop to disconnect.

But you're right. Honestly, it ruins the tense, creeping nature of the gameplay, which is what makes the game so cool. Now if I could find a car...
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you get up to the roof of the Town Hall in Cherno? I went around that building and tried the doors, but couldn't figure it out? I assumed it was the right building, right across from the hospital with the bell tower?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    But you're right. Honestly, it ruins the tense, creeping nature of the gameplay, which is what makes the game so cool. Now if I could find a car...

I think it'll be fixed though sooner or later, possibly with a disconnect timer.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana wrote: »
    How did you get up to the roof of the Town Hall in Cherno? I went around that building and tried the doors, but couldn't figure it out? I assumed it was the right building, right across from the hospital with the bell tower?

That's not a hospital. It's a hotel. Anyway, there are two large pipes, one on each side. They don't look climbable but they are. It's a pretty awful spot though now that I've tried camping up there a few times. It's pretty exposed to snipers in other roofs. If you're just looking for a weapon or to kill some new players exploring the city then it's good though.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also. I've noticed mixed behaviour to do with zombies and ladders.

I was pretty sure that they couldn't climb ladders. That they'd just group around the bottom of it.

Then I was in Elektro, and about 5 of them climbed the ladder and scared the absolute crap out of me, thinking I was safe.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Was killed by a fuckface in the Cherno church after finding and filling an Alice pack with supplies, and bagging myself a Remington shotgun (the first primary weapon I've had so far - that I didn't get to use :\), and responding to their stinking distress call.

Haven't managed to find anyone to group up with yet. I think that's probably going to be where the strength of this game is. ATM, I'm really not looking forward to traipsing along the railway tracks, to find a settlement big enough to loot, and build myself up again.

You didn't happen to play on any of the Norway servers did you ? ^^ Because a couple of days ago I had a shootout with a guy in a church. :P! Got me a nice ALICE-bag =P