Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks everyone
    Rapante wrote: »
    nice work St4lis :) A whole game in that style would be amazing :)

Yeah, I'll try and make some props and a character too, not quite unlike the Charlie character by shaka seen above.

The core of the style is to separate the texture work into sharp parts and gradient parts, and put the sharp pars in pixels and the gradient parts in vcolors. I'll see how far I can take it - I'm looking forward towards trying to make a building or something.
  • shaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaka polycounter lvl 7
    St4lis wrote: »
    Thanks everyone

Yeah, I'll try and make some props and a character too, not quite unlike the Charlie character by shaka seen above.

The core of the style is to separate the texture work into sharp parts and gradient parts, and put the sharp pars in pixels and the gradient parts in vcolors. I'll see how far I can take it - I'm looking forward towards trying to make a building or something.

i'm fighting for a while now for making a game like that at my office. But although i'm an art director, textures with no filtering is something that the "guys above" don't really get. :( I'll have my pixelated dream one day :P
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    St4lis, those own!

735 triangles, 512x512 texture.

That's beautiful poop!!! I really like how you made the tail look so 'lush'!
  • Bobbetybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This page absolutely kicks ass, tons of awesome stuff here, great work all round.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Damn poop, even after looking at the wires, when I look back at the textured version it's hard to believe it is so low.
    THAT is what low poly is all about.

shaka, great charlie.
  • stabbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    Poop - It's amazing how much you've done and how far you've pushed the silhouette with so few triangles. Genius! I'm going to watch the vid later tonight but did you have a 512 for the alphas as well?

Shaka - Hah, he's brilliant! So much character.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice poop, so nice.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Poop - That Beastman is awesome. The concave part on the horns is really well painted: I tought it was made by poligons... But it's flat. Awesome work! :D

Shaka - Lovely! Reminds me a lot of Dr. Slump, maybe because of the visual style. ^_^
  • Ryujisama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks so much for the feedback, and suggestions. I've tweaked the geometry a bit to reduce the poly count to about 670 polys (1340 tris). I'd go lower, but I'm too scared I'll screw up the geometry too much, and I'm pretty comfortable with where it is at this point.what_i__ve_been_up_to____by_ryujisama-d4z3rir.jpg Perhaps, with practice, I can work to lowering my poly/tricount even more in the future. Sorry for the lack of disambiguation of my definition of "chibi". If I had to choose who had a better definition of what I was trying to accomplish, I'd say that Hatsya seems to be the closest. I didn't want my characters to be too stuby, so I changed the proportions a bit to suit my desires. The desired platform for this, and other character(s) is going to be PC, but since we're using Unity, I wanted to have the poly count as low as possible (I heard Unity is great, but not as powerful as UDK[obviously]). I'll give the base one more once-over before modifying it and stuff. Thanks again for those who commented.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Poop - It's amazing how much you've done and how far you've pushed the silhouette with so few triangles. Genius! I'm going to watch the vid later tonight but did you have a 512 for the alphas as well?

Hehe, thanks guys and gals. Yeah the alpha is just the alpha channel of this 512.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Thats awesome poop, it looks gorgeous from the overhead view.

St4lis, wow they're some low res guns - I love the AKs. Thanks, I'll tone down the camo but that means I'll need to paint actual gun-looking detail into the guns :poly127: This shows some of the textures with less of the camo detail but demonstrates how little detail most of the parts have.

GunDemo_05.gif

Charlie looks sweet shaka, love the colours.

Defaultsound: thanks dude, sure thing. Here's a texture sample - there's lots of wasted space in the map but I do want to make sure there's room for one or two more items if I want to add them.
  • an aggressive napkin
    84716865.jpg
    How should i go about doign the motor to keep it under budget?
  • Hatsya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shintotomono%20screen%204.jpg
    ^ a game example of a chibi character (New Class of Heroes: Chrono Academy [PSP])

hello_from_tim_in_getamped_2_by_mack0704-d2y6ipi.jpg
    ^ This is an SD character style (GetAmped 2 [PC])

Just like the Harry Potter drawing I referred to, heads are almost wide, reaching both shoulders. SD ones have crazy body proportions, as seen here in GetAmped 2 game art screen...
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    HWpVA.png
    Trying out some pixel art and color schemes.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    GabrielP wrote: »
    SQUIRREL
    Squirrel.png

Squirrel!

dug_up.jpg
  • vkp_number2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vkp_number2 polycounter lvl 8
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
    @JO420: hahaha

@DEElekgolo: looking really clean so far, interested to see some progress
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Little WIP Bot for the 3DMotive contest.

Subject_Zed_WIP_05.jpg
  • Leisure Centaur
    St4lis, those own!

735 triangles, 512x512 texture.

beastman_renders.jpg

Plus texture timelapse:
    "texture timelapse"

Is there an equivalent workflow to this in Maya? Looks like a dream compared to how I currently texture.

Stunning piece of work by the way :)
  • Leisure Centaur
    I was referring to the body paint ability with the linked PSD by the way. Are you just blocking out colour in C4D and then refining in PS?
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    @Kurt Russel Fan Club: I'm really loving your procedural stuff!
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    A little bot i worked for a contest

[IMG][/img]ScreenShot00026.jpg
  • e2rd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @3dmaxter: yeah, expect some hammering action ;)

@Helgezone, Snader: Thanks for the feedbacks guys, I've updated my Dovahkiin texture. Hope it looks better now.
    Great work on your Thorin character too, Helgezone :)

Here's my update, C&C are always welcome:
    MiniDovahkiinUpdate1.jpg

@Poop: amazing work, as always :D
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good e2rd,

major crit would be that the 'skirt' would clip the knees in anims since you don't have verts there to deform.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Here is my finished 3dmotive entry. Sitting at 996 tris.

Subject_Zed_Final.jpg
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DietCoke polycounter lvl 7
    I'm sure Polycount is getting flooded with these things, but here's my entry for the 3DMotive contest. This is my first attempt at a lo-fi texture! I was really starting to get the hang of it in the last hour or so leading up to the deadline, which is when I added almost all of the detail. Tons of wasted space and potential on the texture.
    heCtF.jpg
    utUtR.jpg
    zmqOC.jpg
  • MadCarrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little shield, 18 poly and 64x64 texture

low_poly_hand_painted_shield_64x64_by_madgharr-d5041f1.png
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    @MadCarrot you are not helping me... must ... resist.... minecraft... hhehe
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    For that chibi-SD discussion... I guess Nendoroids are one of the best references around to take inspiration from.

dd33a25c87cf6b0d95bbe7fed5e4ae7d.jpg

(also Flandre Scarlett is so awsome)
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    hobodactyl: thanks dude :)

Please enough with the SD vs Chibi unless you're posting your own art :(
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    I want some stuff I can mount to this, but I don't know what yet :p

revolvertthing.png
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Some update on the guns. More stuff for the m4, a couple of stayr's and a Dragunov. Still on the same 16*16 texture

Sk%C3%A4rmavbild%202012-05-17%20kl.%2014.11.13.png
  • Leisure Centaur
    St4lis, those look superb!

Nice palettes and shading. Would love to see some sci-fi or melee weapons in that style too ;) Maybe a hookshot? :D
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I was referring to the body paint ability with the linked PSD by the way. Are you just blocking out colour in C4D and then refining in PS?

I'd say 95% of the texture painting is in bodypaint. I only do very sharp 1 pixel vertical or horizontal stuff in Photoshop, since Bpaint doesn't have a constrain to horizontal/vertical with shift like photoshop does, and I do most of my flipping or transforming in photoshop. Also the initial mask and layer setup in photoshop. The "link" to max is just me exporting an obj, and updating the textures, so this would work 100% the same with maya, just tell maya to update the texture when you tab back to it (unless it auto refreshes like max does).
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    DietCoke wrote: »
    I'm sure Polycount is getting flooded with these things, but here's my entry for the 3DMotive contest. This is my first attempt at a lo-fi texture! I was really starting to get the hang of it in the last hour or so leading up to the deadline, which is when I added almost all of the detail. Tons of wasted space and potential on the texture.

thats cool can you put a simple environment map on it? reflections would make all the difference with a texture like that.
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DietCoke polycounter lvl 7
    Ged: I'm not sure how to do that! Do you mean a 'cube map' style thing that fakes a reflection from the world? I have never done that, but I have wondered how it is done.

Free Fall: That is rad! Excellent use of 'gons. I saved it for later reference!

St4lis: Those are soooo awesome man. Went straight into my "cool stuff" folder.

poopinmymouth: You have been such a huge help to me over the last year and a half or so. Thank you for all of your awesome tips and tutorials.
  • Leisure Centaur
    I'd say 95% of the texture painting is in bodypaint. I only do very sharp 1 pixel vertical or horizontal stuff in Photoshop, since Bpaint doesn't have a constrain to horizontal/vertical with shift like photoshop does, and I do most of my flipping or transforming in photoshop. Also the initial mask and layer setup in photoshop. The "link" to max is just me exporting an obj, and updating the textures, so this would work 100% the same with maya, just tell maya to update the texture when you tab back to it (unless it auto refreshes like max does).

Thanks very much, that helps a tonne. Going to start experimenting with it in Maya :)
  • laperen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laperen polycounter lvl 11
    made a low poly version of ironman's MKIII suit

stands at 618 tris using a 256X256 pixel size texture

ironman_turnabout.gif
  • tntcheats
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tntcheats polycounter lvl 7
    laperen, looks good!
    Is that desaturated look just the result of GIF optimization?

I'd maybe round him out in the ab/waist/lower back area, and his upper back doesn't really stick out. He doesn't have the jelly bean torso shape.
    His pecs are also a little underplayed in my opinion. All personal preference, though
  • laperen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laperen polycounter lvl 11
    @tntcheats, what do you mean by desaturated? if ur refering to why it looks pixelised, the texture was made with pixel art. the concentration of polys is mostly in the fingers, about 80 polys in each hand, compared to the size it occupies, which is why most of the model is not as smoothed as youd want
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iaperen, saturation refers to the intensity of color, or lack thereof. Personally I kind of like the desaturated colors.

I also agree that his waist and hips need to be smaller, along with some more bulk in his back.

Any chance of seeing wireframes?
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    my weekend project:

polycount_presentation.jpg
  • MadCarrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little little pixelated scene I'm working on in a spare time.
    low_poly_hand_painted_scene_64x64_textures_by_madgharr-d50m6am.png
  • Delko
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Hi, my name is Brian Choi, and I'm doing this human character as my FIRST human 3D character I've done. Aiming to get close to 1k triangles, and I based the 3D model on an old ortho I did. (Actually scrapped the first 3D model after looking at the low-poly TF2 objs)

I am ABSOLUTELY open to CnC. I'm so new to this, it hurts, and it feels like I'll be meddling in low poly for quite a while.

Marine%2520art%2520jam%2520ortho.jpg

Heavy%2520Soldier%2520WIP%25203.jpg

I also somewhat completed a low-poly vehicle model. First time making a useable vehicle asset, and first time baking in painted AOs, etc. I'm not too sure what else I could do for this "Falcon Interceptor" to make it better, since I don't think I can add an effective normal map for this. Maybe a specular done in Mudbox? Right now, doing a quick insert pass in Unity3D, there's some issues with some faces, even though it's showing up fine in Maya.

Falcon%2520Interceptor.jpg
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    St4lis: That's hilarious :D She looks crazy redneck or something :D

JadeEyePanda:
    Pretty good for your first try! You could do a bit of optimising here and there for your character (eg. the extra edge loop running near the bottom of the feet). Especially for very low poly, if it doesn't contribute to the silhouette, you typically should get rid of it.

The interceptor looks very cool, too, and you've got a nice, sensible UV layout there as well. Again, though, you can do some geometry optimisation:
    jadeEyePanda-po1.jpg

The red is basically all your small bevels. If the screenshot is roughly the sort of size you'll see the thing on-screen, then you can safely get rid of those (though you may insist on keeping them for lighting purposes... ie, catching edge highlights).
    Green shows a more optimal approach to the cockpit (it flattens out the tip of the front curve, but that's not likely to be as noticeable, or you could keep the four edges and spread them out a bit more).
    Yellow will depend on how big it will be on screen. You might be able to keep the intakes flat and just use textures to hint at a bit of depth, and the cannons could potentially be a straight cylinder.
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JadeEyePanda while it still looks good, your concept has SOOOO much character, and I feel like all of it is lost in your actual model. Your concept is so stylized and perfectly proportioned that it's just awesome. Your model goes a more realistic approach and I don't think you are doing yourself justice. IMO try to nail the concept more, I think you'll be more happy with it if you do :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice St4lis,
    The only thing that bugs me is that her armpits are too wide, makes it look a bit funky and could be really weird during deformation.
    And well, I guess you could spare a couple tris above the elbow to make the upper arm skinnier in that dimension.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [SF]Three9 wrote: »
    JadeEyePanda while it still looks good, your concept has SOOOO much character, and I feel like all of it is lost in your actual model. Your concept is so stylized and perfectly proportioned that it's just awesome. Your model goes a more realistic approach and I don't think you are doing yourself justice. IMO try to nail the concept more, I think you'll be more happy with it if you do :)

The first modeling pass I did was straight on top of the concept, but as time went on, I felt like I was not "making" it correctly so to speak, so i scrapped it altogether. I then moved onto that second model from scratch, taking great inspiration from Tommy Tallian's public obj files of his Low Poly TF2 characters. Oh my gosh, just looking at the wires of that helped so MUCH! Personally, I wanna be able to comfortably make Diablo 3 level of complexity of models (though I don't know what their wires or how many triangles they are pushing)

With at least THIS one, I wanna make sure I do a "realistic" version done well first, and then I was going to play around with the Scale Tool and work it to concept, if that's okay : /
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @LoTekK

Thank you so much for the critiques on the wire! In regards to the gatling gun barrels, I did the hexagon polygon in the assumption that they would rotate while firing. Whether I implement that eventually or not, I don't know. The whole model actually was a pseudo test for a game a friend of mine wants me to be an Art Director on. Not sure if I should take up the offer, but this was done to see if I could even possibly make an asset for their game, and for my own skill check. Once I fix any glaring issues, I'm going to see if I can get this into UDK, light it, do a turntable, and see what it looks like "implemented."