Home Technical Talk

Outliner 2.0 - Scene management tool for 3ds Max

Replies

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Hi Pier.
    Shouldn't you display this message on a message box or something ? Not sure the "basic" users check their listener.

Also, when i assign a different renderer (vray, mr), all materials disappear definitly from the material mode. I have to assign another mat then reassign so the outliner get it right. I don't remember it was the case before ?

Also i like that you keep us roughly informed, though all technical parts are beyond me.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Agree with Noors !
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I'll keep it down a bit with the technical stuff then.

As for the messagebox vs listener message: currently it's a messagebox which is only shown once. That is, if someone without the Outliner opens a scene with nested layers, it will pop up. Then if that scene is saved, it will never come up again, so as not to annoy people too much. I think it's better to always show some kind of message, but not as intrusive. And since you can just use a scene with nested layers without the Outliner, it's no biggie if you miss the message.

2.0.97 indeed kinda broke the material mode. A little typo caused it to stop working properly. It will be fixed in the next version.

A question on nested layers behavior: when having nested layers, the hidden, frozen and boxmode properties are propagated to childlayers. Or rather, if a parent's property is set to true, it will override the child's property value.
    Now there are other properties you can set through the Outliner's context menu as well (displayable/rendering menu). Should these be propagated to child layers too? The little difference there would be that for these I can only literally propagate them as they are changed. So it won't work quite the same as the hidden/frozen/boxmode properties. For example, if you set a parent layer to display wireframe, all childlayers will be set to that too. However, it won't do that when you change parenting for example. Thoughts?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yeah, you're right, message boxes are annoying as hell. I just thought it was critical to remove the nested layers infos for some ppl.

Just giving my opinion, though i don't use extensively the layer properties.
    Since there is a concession to be made whatever solution you choose, I think it's better you keep on propagate the layer properties. It's less work to change a property on some exception than change this propery on all layers.
    eg, i often use blueprints, that are now organised through nested layer, that i often switch to seethrough. Or, i want to display as boxes all vegetation and trees organised in layers under one root.
    Less work for me if it propagates from the root. If i change the parenting, I can still change a layer property manually, or recheck the property in the layer's parent . Hope it makes sense.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Noors, that does make sense indeed.

I've put up version 2.1 beta 1. The main improvement in this version is a ground-up rewrite of the nested layer system, resolving the merge/xref crashes.
    Since this is all new code, I need to have it tested pretty thoroughly, and it'd be great if you guys could help me out with that. If you use this beta, please make a backup of your files. I don't expect things to go really wrong, but better safe than sorry.

So, use the nested layers feature, including propagation of layer properties, merging and xrefing objects/files, and see if everything works as expected. Old nested layer definitions created using previous Outliner versions should be automatically converted. You'll get a message when this happens.

As always, use the update feature in the Outliner itself (Options -> uncheck "skip trial versions" -> Check now). Or download it from the website.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've put up a new beta version, 2.1 beta3. It includes many small fixes and enhancements:
    * [Tweak] Issue 16, create new layer nests it under the right-clicked layer.
    * [Tweak] Issue 23, right-click on empty space brings up context-menu.
    * [Tweak] Issue 34, set layer to active after creating new layer.

* [Bugfix] Issue 9, button icons badly readable in 3dsmax2012.
    * [Bugfix] Issue 18, two layers are created after having used select childnodes.
    * [Bugfix] Issue 19, material expanded states aren't preserved.
    * [Bugfix] Issue 27, detached element appears on incorrect layer.
    * [Bugfix] Issue 35, hiding searchbar makes clicking first node impossible.

It would be great if you guys could take it for a spin and verify that the changes actually work as expected. For more details on the issues and steps to reproduce them, use the links on the website or the issues page on the google code page.

A remark with regards to the visual style of the UI buttons: Up to now the Outliner's button icons were not inverted automatically in the dark 3dsmax2012 color scheme. In previous max versions the dark color scheme icons were strictly monochrome and high contrast. Although not very pretty, this did make them fairly readable. In the latest max version the colors were re-introduced, which I believe was a mistake. I find the icons very difficult to read and it looks a bit of a mess.
    I think that the Outliner should adhere to the max UI look for as much as possible, but for now I've decided to keep the button icons in the dark UI scheme monochrome. I gave the "standard dark max look" a try, but found it very difficult to make things look good. If anyone wants to help with that, let me know!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Hi Pier ! Thanks for the new stuff. Issue 16 and 23 fixed, me likes !

Issue 27 not fixed for me.
    If layer 0 is the active layer, and my teapot is in Layer001, when i detach an element as new object, it is created under the active layer 0 (which is logical). If I close and reopen the outliner, the new object is in Layer001 (not logical)

Bug in material mode :
    I create an object.
    I assign a new material to this object (let's say 01- Default)
    "Unassigned" disapears. (mmh ok, it's logical though i'd rather like it always stay even empty)
    close and reopen outliner : the unassigned node reapears !
    drag&drop my object to unassigned.
    01 - Default disapears (logical)
    close and reopen outliner : 01 - Default node reappears though empty.

I like the fact unassigned is always here because it realy eases the process to remove any materials from objects.

Other fixes seem to work so far.

Also, i'd like a new option to create a new layer from an object selection "Create New Layer From Selection" I'm affraid that name is too long for the window though. Actually you have to create a new layer , name it, then click on plus button.

Concerning the icons, i disagree with you. Maybe it's just a matter of habit, but i'm used to light UI with colored icons. I'm always confused to see coworkers with dark UI and monochrome icons. I feel like i'm a max newbie after 10 years of using it, and i don't know where to click. Color is a great information, it make stuff more identifiable imo, why not use it ? The monochrome and negative thing was a trick because color icons looked shit on dark UI before. They were clearly only made for the light version. But as i said on cgtalk, max icons are globally pretty bad imo.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    Issue 27 not fixed for me.
    If layer 0 is the active layer, and my teapot is in Layer001, when i detach an element as new object, it is created under the active layer 0 (which is logical). If I close and reopen the outliner, the new object is in Layer001 (not logical)
    Hm I've tested this again and it does indeed still seem to be broken. It seems like the detached object is shown in the active layer in the Outliner. It should just follow the max behavior, which is putting it under the same layer as the object it was detached from.
    Bug in material mode :
    I will look into that issue.
    I like the fact unassigned is always here because it realy eases the process to remove any materials from objects.
    That makes sense. I will adjust that.
    Other fixes seem to work so far.
    Great. Thanks for testing!
    Also, i'd like a new option to create a new layer from an object selection "Create New Layer From Selection" I'm affraid that name is too long for the window though. Actually you have to create a new layer , name it, then click on plus button.
    Is it "Add selection to" -> "New layer" in the context menu you are looking for perhaps?
    Concerning the icons, i disagree with you. Maybe it's just a matter of habit, but i'm used to light UI with colored icons. I'm always confused to see coworkers with dark UI and monochrome icons. I feel like i'm a max newbie after 10 years of using it, and i don't know where to click. Color is a great information, it make stuff more identifiable imo, why not use it ? The monochrome and negative thing was a trick because color icons looked shit on dark UI before. They were clearly only made for the light version. But as i said on cgtalk, max icons are globally pretty bad imo.
    I definitely agree with you that colors should improve the readability. I didn't mean that colors in the dark UI scheme are a bad thing per se. I do think that the colored icons in the max dark UI scheme are less readable (and look worse) than the monochrome versions. In the light scheme they work rather well and look nice.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    ah! add selection to new layer indeed :poly136:
    Thanks !
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've looked into issue 27 (detaching objects ending up in the wrong layer) again. And thanks to some help on CGTalk, I've come to the conclusion that this is due to a bug in maxscript.
    There is a way around it, but that would require changing some things that would mean that 3dsmax 2008 will no longer be supported. I had planned these changes for a later '3.0' version, but I may now introduce the version restriction sooner, for 2.1.
    I would also like to use some features that are available for max2010+, but I'm not sure whether I'll introduce those at this moment yet.

edit: Some stats which I think justify dropping 2008 and possibly 2009 support. Last month, the update requests for the Outliner were distributed over max versions as below, where the combined 2008 and 2009 update requests amount for around 200 installations.
    2008	 1.4 %
    2009	 6.5 %
    2010	13.7 %
    2011	34.8 %
    2012	43.6 %

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    This is totally anecdotic but i wanted to make the lightbulb yellow for the toggle visible, and i coudn't find the icon location. I assume you're using a default max icon then ?
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The node icons are compiled into the .NET dll:
    http://code.google.com/p/outliner/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fdotnet%2FResources%2Fnode_buttons

So if you want to replace it, you'll have to download the source from SVN, replace that icon, and build the installer. If you want, I can write some instructions on how to do that last step. It is fairly simple really, but there are just some prerequisites.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    That sounds like an headache for me just for a tiny asthetic preference :poly134:
    But thanks !
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, because it's a good idea to have a 'build instruction' text in the repository anyway, here it is:
    http://code.google.com/p/outliner/source/browse/trunk/build_instructions.txt

As you can see, it's 6 steps, only one of which can be a little tricky if you're not used to svn. If you are, then it's really easy.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Ok, done :) I was affraid I need some fancy compiler ^^
    Not sure if it's for the best tho !

outliner.gif

While i am in aesthetic issues, I find pretty hard to see the difference between hidden and visible object text with the dark UI. Sure we have icons, but still, it would be more clear. For the light UI, the contrast is better.

What would you think about making the hidden object text a bit more dark ?
    outliner_dark.gif
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, done :) I was affraid I need some fancy compiler ^^
    Well, you do, but it comes with the .NET Framework :)
    What would you think about making the hidden object text a bit more dark ?
    Hm I agree that the difference is too small as it is now. I like the way it looks in the middle version, but it's hard to read the names there. So maybe the dark one is best.
    Did you make these in colorschemes.ini ?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    No that was in photoshop as i didn't know where it stands.
    Yeah the middle version is more coherent but the dark one reads better. You will never have the contrast of the light UI anyway.
    So I made a test in colorschemes.ini with a value at 125 125 125 and it is still acceptable.
    I'll see in everyday use what i like the most.
    Thanks !
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on a little thing this week: making macroscripts and toolbars for the filter and sortmode settings. These toolbars are automatically created by the installer, but you can also make your own of course, using the macroscripts provided.
    toolbars1.png
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys, it's been a while since the last beta was put online, so I'm wondering how things are going. How is the new nested layers implementation holding up?
    From what I can see there have been around 140 installations of 2.1 beta3, and I have received only 2 crash reports from it. So I guess it's fairly stable?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Hey Pier. I didn't have the time to push my tests recently. In ordinary work use, i had no crash. I'll try to make further crazy actions this week-end.

So, there are only 140 max users around here ? Lies :p
    Lads, install the outliner, you know you want to.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I didn´t have much time to download the beta, but i will do that for my current project for sure.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using it with the latest updates, had some stability issues lately though. Not sure if it's the Outliner but it had some refreshing problems on a highpoly/smallscale scene...

Also: I had a bug with the layer refreshing: I copied a few polygons of a surface (Edit Poly, select some Polygons, Press Shift and drag them) with the source object in one layer and the layer I wanted the new objects in selected. Now Outliner told me the newly created objects were in the selected layer but I couldn't select them there. Opening the old layer view revealed that they are indeed in the layer of the source object and only restarting Outliner helped solving the problem.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    e-freak wrote: »
    I'm using it with the latest updates, had some stability issues lately though. Not sure if it's the Outliner but it had some refreshing problems on a highpoly/smallscale scene...

yes this has been happening intermittently for me as well, the outliner window stops redrawing. a restart of outliner will fix it though.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I promised to keep the nerdy code-talk to a minimum here, but just a quick note:
    I've decided to move the code of this project from GoogleCode to GitHub:
    https://github.com/Pjanssen/Outliner

One of the reasons for this is that it provides a service where you can easily get a zip of a repository. So you don't have to install any version control software to be able to grab the code. Another reason is that GitHub is much more community oriented if you like. It is more inviting for others to contribute to the project. And I really hope that this move encourages people to do so.

I'll get back to the issues you guys posted about soon too.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    noors_outliner_01.png

not wanted :

In the first example, parenting box to cone expend the sphere hierarchy.

In the second, duplicate the sphere expend the sphere hierarchy.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for reporting this Noors! I've added it to the list of issues:
    https://github.com/Pjanssen/Outliner/issues/42
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Same goes with the layers.
    I'm not sure i had this on previous versions though :shifty:

When i hit the clear search field button, it expands the nodes aswell.

I wonder if it's not related to the way you "save" the outliner expanded nodes so they are remembered when you switch of modes (which you've implemented in this version if i remember correclty)
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Noors: the issue has been fixed and will be included in v2.1. Thanks for reporting it!
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've released version 2.1. It contains many fixes and tweaks compared to the previous public release (2.097). Most notable is the new nested layers implementation which fixes the issues with merging scenes with nested layers.

NOTE:
    - The minimum 3dsmax version requirement has been increased to 2010.
    - The introduction of a new nested layer system means that scenes using nested layers will NOT be backwards compatible with older versions!
    Old nested layers definitions should be converted automatically.
    * [Feature] Issue 40, added groups filter.
    * [Feature] Added sortmode & filters macroscripts and toolbars.

* [Tweak] Issue 4, dark UI color scheme icons have been tweaked.
    * [Tweak] Issue 16, create new layer nests it under the right-clicked layer.
    * [Tweak] Issue 34, set layer to active after creating new layer.
    * [Tweak] Issue 23, right-click on empty space brings up context-menu.
    * [Tweak] Issue 30, updating has been made easier (less clicks).

* [Bugfix] Issue 18, two layers are created after having used select childnodes.
    * [Bugfix] Issue 19, material expanded states aren't preserved.
    * [Bugfix] Issue 25, merge/xref nested layers crashes 3dsmax.
    * [Bugfix] Issue 27, detached element appears on incorrect layer.
    * [Bugfix] Issue 31, materials not visible when opening Outliner.
    * [Bugfix] Issue 35, hiding searchbar makes clicking first node impossible.

Download the latest version here, or get it using the update feature in the options dialog.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've pushed out version 2.1.1, an update to fix the most prominent issues in 2.1. If you're updating from version 2.1, the installation is going to fail the first time it is executed. This is due to a little bug in the update code that slipped past my testing... But you can just ignore it and run the update again by clicking "download & install now" if the window is still opened, or using "Check now" in the options dialog otherwise.
    Version 2.1.1
    =============
    * [Bugfix] Issue 45, attaching object crashes Outliner.
    * [Bugfix] Issue 46, installer fails if UI files cannot be accessed.
    * [Bugfix] Issue 44, incorrect sortmode and filter window positions.

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Great ! Thanks for your hard work once again ! Now stop to code and grab a beer ;)
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I still have "ghost materials". When i delete objects, their material stay still, empty, in the outliner. I could try to find the exact steps if it could help.
    I also experienced some crashes, but I think they have been reported already.

btw, do you think it could be possible to be able to drag&drop materials from the outliner to a material editor slot ?
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still have "ghost materials". When i delete objects, their material stay still, empty, in the outliner. I could try to find the exact steps if it could help.
    I guess this is caused by the fact that 3dsmax doesn't actually delete these materials until the scene is saved. I can have a look at this though, to see if something can be done.
    btw, do you think it could be possible to be able to drag&drop materials from the outliner to a material editor slot ?
    Unfortunately, no. It would be very nice if it was possible, but the material editor does not support this.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've updated the Outliner to version 2.1.2, fixing a couple of bugs. Most notable was a crash that occurred when renaming a material in the material editor.

You can get the updated version by using the automatic update notification, the "Check now" button in the Outliner options dialog, or by downloading it from the website.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Hi Pier. Looks like it crashes on start (max 2012 x64) D:
    The window blinks like 3 times, then i have the error message.
    I tried from the update and from your website.
    I've sent you a report.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep I got the crash report. This was caused by a stupidity on my part. I had put a line of code in there to make it crash deliberately (to test a crash report fix). I had removed it afterwards, but apparently I had forgotten to make a new bundle before putting it online. (doh!)

So this was an easy fix. However, if you've installed 2.1.2 in the past half hour, please download it and reinstall manually.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    mmh the ghosts materials are still there even when i save, reboot max and reload the scene so it's not just an update thing i guess.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    humm... I installed the latest version of outliner and while installing it reloaded the default toolbar UI, which is kind of annoying. Luckily I back up my ui regularly so I was able to reload, restart and was off again. For other people it might be a much bigger deal?

And in case I haven't said it recently I really, really love this script thank you so much!
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    humm... I installed the latest version of outliner and while installing it reloaded the default toolbar UI, which is kind of annoying. Luckily I back up my ui regularly so I was able to reload, restart and was off again. For other people it might be a much bigger deal?
    Really? That should not happen of course. Does this happen every time you (re)install, or was it just incidental? And do you remember if you made changes to the UI in the same session as when you installed the update?
    And in case I haven't said it recently I really, really love this script thank you so much!
    Thanks!
    mmh the ghosts materials are still there even when i save, reboot max and reload the scene so it's not just an update thing i guess.
    I will look in to it. Thanks for your other crash reports too!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pjanssen wrote: »
    Really? That should not happen of course. Does this happen every time you (re)install, or was it just incidental? And do you remember if you made changes to the UI in the same session as when you installed the update?
    No changes to the UI in that session.

It happens each time I install it.

I installed it on 2 different machines and the same thing happened. Both machines had the script previously installed and I opted to download/update after the prompt came up that there was an updated version.

If it helps I can uninstall it and try installing it from scratch and see if it does anything different.

It also popped up 2 new toolbars which where related to Outliner.

It might have something to do with where the UI files are saved? There might be some kind of missmatch between what is in the user folder and what is in the 3dsmax root install folder. It was possible that I originally saved/loaded my custom UI from the 3dsmax root folder and the script used the user folder to reload the UI? Or maybe vice versa?
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it helps I can uninstall it and try installing it from scratch and see if it does anything different.
    Yeah if you could try that (you can keep the prefs), just to make sure that produces the same result, that would be great.
    It also popped up 2 new toolbars which where related to Outliner.
    That is expected, although I guess I'll change that to have them hidden by default, on second thoughts.
    It might have something to do with where the UI files are saved? There might be some kind of missmatch between what is in the user folder and what is in the 3dsmax root install folder. It was possible that I originally saved/loaded my custom UI from the 3dsmax root folder and the script used the user folder to reload the UI? Or maybe vice versa?
    The installer actually uses a maxscript function (cui.getConfigFile()) to get the current UI file. If that can't be written to, it saves the current ui to the user folder and modifies that. So I'm rather puzzled by this behavior!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The installer actually uses a maxscript function (cui.getConfigFile()) to get the current UI file. If that can't be written to, it saves the current ui to the user folder and modifies that. So I'm rather puzzled by this behavior!

I uninstalled and reinstalled from scratch and made sure the files and preferences where gone. Then I grabbed a fresh download from your site and I noticed that it didn't totally reset the toolbar UI it just added some icons I had previously moved to another toolbar and hidden, most notably some of the snaps options. But other custom toolbars where preserved, so it wasn't a total reset and custom quad menus and keyboard commands where also preserved.

I did manage to halt the behavior and preserve the entire custom toolbar UI, by saving the toolbar "default.cui" to the: \AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2012 - 64bit\enu\UI folder which I don't think I ever did before, I was saving it to the 3dsmax main folder in program files. I'm not sure which one overrides the other...

TLDR
    Removing the default.cui from the appsData folder caused the issue again if I installed the 2.0.95 then updated through outliner. Just installing it didn't cause the issue.

Installing the latest version worked fine even with the default.cui missing from the appsData folder. So it seems like a problem with the automatic update?
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've updated the Outliner to version 2.1.3:
    * [Feature] Issue 51, Added user color scheme file to userscripts directory.
    * [Enhancement] Issue 54, added "show frozen in gray" to contextmenu.
    * [Enhancement] Added "Set focus to search field on open" option.
    * [Bugfix] Issue 53, 3DConnexion camera causes flickering.
    * [Bugfix] Issue 55, installation fails if kbd or cui file does not exist.
    * [Bugfix] Various minor bugfixes.

The user color scheme file is located in the userscripts directory (usually Users/.../AppData/Local/Autodesk/3dsmax/20../enu/scripts/). This file will be treated similar to the preferences file and will not be deleted when installing an update. It contains a template for a new color scheme as well as some instructions.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had to take down the website due to a sudden inexplicable spike in traffic (110+ Gb today!). To avoid losing any more money I've decided to take it down completely and investigate what's causing this. So the updates won't work either; sorry about that.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've put up the latest build on GitHub, as a temporary download location:
    https://github.com/downloads/Pjanssen/Outliner/outliner_2_1_3.mzp
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Search bar focus on open is awesome! Didn't know I needed that. :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that's a crazy amount of traffic... I hope you get the problems sorted out. Thanks for the download.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, I hope you guys find what's wrong, I doubt it's the automatic update, the script is pretty small.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I've put up the latest build on GitHub, as a temporary download location:
    https://github.com/downloads/Pjanssen/Outliner/outliner_2_1_3.mzp

I'm getting this error when I drag/drop the mzp into my max viewport. :(
    outliner_00.jpg