Home General Discussion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    how come it's easier to kill a dragon than some random frost troll?
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12

Because Giants and Trolls are badarse. All Dragons have going for them is Fire Breathing and Flight. Which against poor humans is pretty effective, but it stands to reason that Dragons would have environmental competitors more effective. Thats how I like to reason it anyway. I like the fact there is worse than dragons.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Not for others supposedly. You're dragonborn and you are the only one who can kill dragons, which is why everyone is afraid of them.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Well whatever my gripes about magic may be, the improvements to stealth and melee combat totally even it out. Sneaking poisons into people's pockets is flat out awesome.

Also from what I can tell, becoming a vampire in the game doesn't age you by 100 years! Your character doesn't turn ugly as shit, instead simply gets these creepy looking eyes and I think perhaps a SLIGHTLY pointier brow but I could've been seeing things. Also, you don't take damage out in sunlight. Instead you simply have anywhere from like 10 to 25 points of health/magicka/stamina taken from your total while out in sunlight and it doesn't regenerate automatically. You can freely toggle your night vision, you get a free re-animate power, and a resistance to frost that balances out your weakness to fire. Overall a huge improvement to Oblivion.

I have encountered a couple quest-breaking bugs. I did this one in Morthal where I was supposed to find some ghost girl in hide and seek, so I went and found her. Well apparently once I completed the rest of the quest and went to talk to the Jarl, she told me where to find the girl. And now I can't "find" her again. So I'm having to reload a previous save because I didn't ask the Jarl where to find her, I just looked. I save often enough to just be able to reload and do it "their" way, but kind of a bummer. Not enough of one to make me stop loving the game, though. Still so much more to go do.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Managed to solve high framerate bugging the game out by using fps limiting functions in http://dxtory.com while having the vsync off in game.

It locks at 60fps without the downsides of high mouse-latency.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High framerate bugging the game? In what way exactly? I read some stuff about vertical mouse movement, that what you mean?

I've been using a program called D3DOverrider (comes as part of RivaTuner, free download) to force V-Sync + Triple Buffering in all my games for about a year now. Is that essentially what dxtory does for you?
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    While I've not had any performance issues at my home or work rigs, this thread may be helpful to some PC folks.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2227329
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    what's wrong with magic? I'm a two handed flame thrower of doom.
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    best bethesda game hands down.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you enchant weapons in this?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Two Listen wrote: »
    High framerate bugging the game? In what way exactly? I read some stuff about vertical mouse movement, that what you mean?

When I turn vsync on, everything works fine, but it comes with a high input latency, while I want mine fast and snappy.

If I have vsync off the vertical mouse speed will fluctuate depending on the framerate, with high-fps areas boosting it beyond sane levels, and not only that, the high framerates will cause the physics to go haywire and objects will sometimes launch through the air, with sometimes entire rooms exploding with physics.
    frell wrote: »
    Can you enchant weapons in this?

Capture souls and enchant objects, just like the old games
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus wrote: »
    While I've not had any performance issues at my home or work rigs, this thread may be helpful to some PC folks.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2227329

WOW, AA is buggy for me (I got from 60 fps to 12 fps just turning x2 on, and this loss is equal from x2-x8 which means theres a problem, im on ati 6570)

Once I turned the AA off and shadows from ultra to medium I was going pretty steady and it looks alot better :)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to drop in and say this is possibly the best game I have ever played. I'll write up my complete thoughts sometime this week, as it will take some time to put together, and I need to use the rest of my Sunday for Skyrim :)

And I'll just post this for now, as I was quite proud of it. 3 hours in the Forelhost dungeon, which I don't think I was supposed to be in yet, to get one of the rare Dragon Priest masks. I think it's a sign of a great game that I came out of that dungeon literally exhausted, but actually proud of the accomplishment.
    This mask, Rahgot's, increases your stamina by 70 points.
    I'm playing on xbox, so here's a lame cell phone pic.
    rahgot_mask.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Someone needs to hurry and make a PC UI mod. :P
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought they said skyrim uses an in house engine and not gamebryo? The game acts the same as the others in every way, even the file formats are the same
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Can someone who owns the PC version verify whether or not this uses Steam cloud?

I would buy another copy of the game right now if I could play between here and work. It's fantastic, and I already put 25 hours into the 360 one, but I want it on PC if it has cloud saves. someone tell me. :)
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    bounchfx wrote: »
    Can someone who owns the PC version verify whether or not this uses Steam cloud?

I would buy another copy of the game right now if I could play between here and work. It's fantastic, and I already put 25 hours into the 360 one, but I want it on PC if it has cloud saves. someone tell me. :)

To the best of my knowledge, Steam Cloud is not supported, due to the size of the saves. I may be wrong, though. You could always use a third party cloud system like Dropbox to manage saves, though. :)
    but...you should totally buy another copy. :D
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Can someone explain to me how to get more shouts working? I was under the impression that once I've learned another word I have to go kill another dragon to use its power to activate the new shout. That doesn't seem to work though. :(
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    frell wrote: »
    I thought they said skyrim uses an in house engine and not gamebryo? The game acts the same as the others in every way, even the file formats are the same

File formats are interchangeable, the engine is most likely the same, it was gamebryo(which is a rendering engine) that they replaced with their own stuff.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Killed my first dragon with a bow only. So sweet.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This game is nuts so far. This time of year was pretty heavy for releases, but I'd put my vote down for Skyrim as GOTY for me.

I just got to Solitude and I seriously have a hard time believing that this game was made by the same team that did Oblivion. The city layouts and scale of some of these areas is so beyond anything that was in Cyrodil. Job well done! Even Malik the Liar seems to agree that the people in Skyrim are better looking than the ones in Cyrodil.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Geezus wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge, Steam Cloud is not supported, due to the size of the saves. I may be wrong, though. You could always use a third party cloud system like Dropbox to manage saves, though. :)
    but...you should totally buy another copy. :D

ah blah. You should vote for them to add it in.. it would save a lot of hassle, but dropbox isn't a bad idea.. just inconvenient, haha. Unless dropbox has a way for me to convert any folder to DB.. hmm..

might get it when it hits 40 for pc, but I totally want it on pc now doh
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    neolith wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how to get more shouts working? I was under the impression that once I've learned another word I have to go kill another dragon to use its power to activate the new shout. That doesn't seem to work though. :(

you have to spend a dragon soul to activate them, by default it is the R key, but check bottom left of the menu when you are looking at your shout menu page
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZIiDS_RYVY"]Skyrim: Release the tumbling Snow Bear! - YouTube[/ame]
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    K9Yc2.gif

my biggest gripe with this is the textures are as high res as they will ever be on medium. that sucks, why can't we have the 1024 sizes you guys authored them in :)

i'm also worried that i will have to replay the game as a warrior, and then a ninja khajit thief. just in time for winter i guess!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I always hope there's a pc patch that puts in the full rez textures... :\
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I thought Bethesda announced they are giving us a High Rez texture pack?

Can I just say how much more enjoyable it is talking to people now that I am not locked into their Hilary Clinton looking faces like in Oblivion? I enjoy being able to talk in Third Person and move the Camera around
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I gotta get more games like this. Seriously I've been playing this for 6 hours. o.O
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Digging the game so far. It's way better than Oblivion in every aspect and really reminds me of Morrowind.

There's one thing I just cannot forgive you guys.

AI... WHY ARE U SO BAD?

Honestly, pathfiniding had not changed even one bit. Enemies still get stuck everywhere and the old tactic of jumping on top of a rock and picking the enemies one by one still works. I just don't think there's any excuse for having such poor AI. Lesser games would get universally panned for it. They also don't sell bajillion copies :poly142:
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I thought Bethesda announced they are giving us a High Rez texture pack?

Can I just say how much more enjoyable it is talking to people now that I am not locked into their Hilary Clinton looking faces like in Oblivion? I enjoy being able to talk in Third Person and move the Camera around

agree so hard. although the obvious controller-intended design of it ruffles my feathers, digital input means i am either looking at them or spazzing my head around like an epileptic elf
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I heard there's a broken thieves' guild quest in the game that doesn't work and can only be completed by console commands.

way to QA bethesda :(
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    lol, tea, an NPC asked to accompany me to some place so I let him follow. No matter how many times I tried reloading to save this guy, every time we get to one spot he runs WAY down this mountain, across a river and up the other side to be killed by a giant spider (that he attacks) that was having nothing to do with us. So much for that quest.

Loving it though, think I killed 3-4 dragons now. Steam says I'm 16 hours in, but I do lollygag in town and afk the game a lot.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    Someone needs to hurry and make a PC UI mod. :P

This happens, and I'll consider getting the game.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Just started the two parts i've been looking forward to, thieves and brotherhood questline! Also smithed one of the best armors (Daedra) which looks friggin' sweet!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    another minor complaint: I really wish the save games were named after your character, and not just save (save #). Why can't it be character (save #)? Makes it really hard to have multiple characters, always afraid I'm going to save over one. Better yet, have each character have their own list of save games. Start game> choose character> show saves
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this game is awesome and so funny!

Heres me meeting a giant:

skyrimgiant1.jpg

and the result of our little encounter:

skyrimgiant2.jpg
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    cholden wrote: »
    lol, tea, an NPC asked to accompany me to some place so I let him follow. No matter how many times I tried reloading to save this guy, every time we get to one spot he runs WAY down this mountain, across a river and up the other side to be killed by a giant spider (that he attacks) that was having nothing to do with us. So much for that quest.

Loving it though, think I killed 3-4 dragons now. Steam says I'm 16 hours in, but I do lollygag in town and afk the game a lot.

I saw something similar happen. I was walking through a village filled with stormcloak guards and suddenly, out of nowhere a guy named Imperial Courier pops out and just keeps on running without a care in the world. His back gets loaded with arrows, all stormcloaks gang up and try to catch up to him, but dude just keeps on sprinting like crazy. I was curious what's going to happen so I followed them. I could never catch up with the guy even though I ran for a good minute. I wish I had this captured. The sight of several stormcloaks, running up a hill to catch him was worthy of the Benny Hill theme.

Did anyone else see those courier NPCs? Are they a part of some quest? Or are do they just spawn randomly like hunters?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    The courier NPC's show up anytime, anywhere for me.
    I've had one pop up on me while I was in the middle of fighting a dragon.
    "Hello! You've got mail!"

Good timing, dude.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HOLY FUCK I DONT EVEN

F6jwj.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14

Did anyone else see those courier NPCs? Are they a part of some quest? Or are do they just spawn randomly like hunters?

One spawned while I was fighting the imperials. Fun times.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    another minor complaint: I really wish the save games were named after your character, and not just save (save #). Why can't it be character (save #)? Makes it really hard to have multiple characters, always afraid I'm going to save over one. Better yet, have each character have their own list of save games. Start game> choose character> show saves

Yeah, why they never decided to let you have separate profiles for a game like this I've never understood. Do they really expect people to just play one character?

One thing I guess I'll mention - the "radiant story" stuff is AWESOME. It's incredible the number of things I've encountered that I know are being handled by radiant story - that I only know are being handled by radiant story because I'll die and reload and experience something completely different - or because I'll discuss with my wife who's been playing alongside me who got something totally unique to her.

Yeah I'm probably not going to need another game for like...a year. And to be totally honest the only real mods I'm planning on using at the moment are my own personal house mods (because I've never been much for a city home).

Also just want to toss out there - as amazing as this game is as a whole, I think the world is what sells it. Every single dungeon, all the environments, everything just looks and feels so vast and real. Huge, huge props to the world artists and dungeon designers. I've been in probably 15 different dungeons by now and I felt like I was discovering a unique place each time. And several of them had some elaborate little story mini-quest to them that I wasn't expecting at all. This one dungeon I made it through thinking it was just another loot run, only to at the end fall through a pit trap into a cage surrounded by dead bodies with a necromancer laughing at me. Apparently he's done this before...

:)
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Ive got some custom .ini settings but the game is gorgeous.

TESV%202011-11-13%2018-57-15-19.png

TESV%202011-11-13%2019-01-22-23.png

TESV%202011-11-13%2018-58-19-37.png

TESV%202011-11-13%2018-59-47-39.png
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Whoever said this is an ugly game is cray-cray

2011-11-13_00002.jpg

2011-11-13_00003.jpg
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    willy-wilson : Mind sharing your .ini files? :D Looks awesome!
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    theres an ini manager i just maxed everything out on here im sure you could go further

http://donotargue.com/cfg-makers/skyrim/
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice, thanks for sharing, i was afraid i wasn't getting the best out of the game visually!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I've got about 20+ hours in so far. And... I'm completely blown away. I'm starting to think this game is as good as... Morrowind. Some aspects are even better. Combat, for example, is refreshingly good.
    What I love most is the variation in the land, and how Bethesda managed to bring back the Mysterious feel you had in Morrowind.
    We just need to see if Skyrim stands the test of time. :)
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Prophecies wrote: »
    I'm starting to think this game is as good as... Morrowind.

Blasphemy!! jk, that's really good to hear, can't wait till i can get a new comp.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I swear I'm going to write a master post when I get a chance, but just wanted to mention that I have never been so blown away by a game. The amount of exploration and random events is mind blowing. I spotted a structure off in the mountains as I was heading towards a quest, decided I wanted to go there, arrived 15 minutes later, and proceeded to experience one of the coolest dungeons I've seen yet. Check out Kagrenzel in the eastern most mountain range, you won't regret it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Whoever said this is an ugly game is cray-cray

It's the people who push their head into a texture or go aliasing-hunting and proceed to miss the whole picture :P

The overall is where the beauty is.